Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maan, what's left when you start seeing the very best of each genre?

52 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've already seen the best horror movie that the industry has to offer... 'Cabin in the Woods'.

I've already seen the best action movie that the industry has to offer... 'The Raid: Redemption'.

The best super hero movie that the industry has to offer comes out soon... 'Avengers' (Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').

For me the comedy genre probably peaked with 'The Hangover'.

What's left? Drama? Adventure?

Posted · Report post

The answer to all of the above is Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

Posted · Report post

If Hangover is your tops, then you have really low standards.

Posted · Report post

I said probably. I did laugh a lot... I was trying to sift through my brain to think of one.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, Hangover kinda sucked. Generic ass comedy. Hell, Half Baked destroys that movie.

Posted · Report post

Of recent films, Horrible Bosses destroys Hangover.

"Can you... see my pussy?"

Posted · Report post

The Princess Bride is quite clearly the best comedy ever.

Posted · Report post

I really can't think of many great comedies. Having a hard time finding any on the internet. Looks like we could use a few more of those.

Recently that is.

Posted · Report post

Every genre has almost countless amazing films. You cant discard a genre because you've seen what you deem to be "the best". Even within genres, great films have vastly different themes. Hell, compare Blade Runner to Alien. Or Terminator 2 to The Matrix. This is such a pessimistic and defeatist way to approach film. You'd have to ignore context, content and style for the sake of lumping all good films into vague genres and then ranking them.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, that movie was very underwhelming for me. I'd place any Apatow comedy over that.

Posted · Report post

The Princess Bride is quite clearly the best comedy ever.

winner.jpg

Posted · Report post

What's left? Make your own movies I guess.

Actually, I really think we shouldn't approach art as a competition. While some art can be well realized, comparing two movies, even of the same genre, is often really apples and oranges. Anyhow if you're looking for something to watch, again I'm going to pimp Pontypool. Moves slow in some ways, but really a smart, interesting film.

Posted · Report post

Given the OPs taste, best Shakespeare adaptation might be Whedons's Much Ado About Nothing (though it has a lot to live up to comparing it to Brannaugh's).

Then too, other great Shakespearian movies:

1. Strange Brew (aka Hamlet)

2. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (Tom Stoppard)

3. Shakespeare in Love (Tom Stoppard)

4. Henry V (Brannaugh version with the awesome background music)

5. The Forbidden Planet (aka The Tempest)

6. Prospero's Books (trippy version of The Tempest)

7. Romeo + Juliet w/DiCaprio

8. Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet (Juliet is a hawty)

9. Theater of Blood (Vincent Price kills people via methods from various Shakespearian plays, campy 70s horror at its best)

10. Roman Polanski's Macbeth (kind of overhyped, but brutal and bloody for the time -- Polanski's first film after the Manson family killed the directors wife and friends)

Movies that I have not seen but should: My Own Private Idaho, Orson Welles Othello

Posted · Report post

If you think the best movies of any genre have been made this year, you have a very short memory. Besides, I've not seen CitW yet, but I doubt a satire on the genre can be the best of the genre because it by definition cannot exist without everything that preceded it.

Posted · Report post

If you think the best movies of any genre have been made this year, you have a very short memory. Besides, I've not seen CitW yet, but I doubt a satire on the genre can be the best of the genre because it by definition cannot exist without everything that preceded it.

You, my good sir, have taken the bait.

Posted · Report post

super bad>21 jump street>>>hangover

Posted · Report post

(Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').

Man you're gonna regret the shit out of that statement in a couple of months.

Posted · Report post

I agree with him Dark Knight is going to suck ass!

Posted · Report post

^ Nope. Nolan has not made a bad movie yet. Will it live up to the hype and be the amazing lightning-in-a-bottle "HOLY SHIT" experience that The Dark Knight was? Likely not. Will it still be a very well-crafted action thriller with a great cast, slick direction, and a smart story? Almost certainly.

That said, early reviews of The Avengers are VERY positive. That it's the real deal, lives up to the hype, validates Marvel's insane project, makes up for other Marvel films' shortcomings, and delivers everything an amazing superhero movie should. I hate to say "I told you so" but. . . wait, no I don't.

And I did. :]

I've already seen the best horror movie that the industry has to offer... 'Cabin in the Woods'.

I've already seen the best action movie that the industry has to offer... 'The Raid: Redemption'.

The best super hero movie that the industry has to offer comes out soon... 'Avengers' (Yeah, #$%^ you, 'Dark Knight').

For me the comedy genre probably peaked with 'The Hangover'.

What's left? Drama? Adventure?

Thing is, those are all recent movies (and aren't all actually "the best" of their respective genres - The Thing, Die Hard, The Dark Knight, and Ghostbusters all say hi), but not only do different genres mixing offer unique and amazing permutations of existing genres (the fucking MATRIX), but talented new directors, talented new actors, and talented new visual designers keep coming together to make amazing movies. Nolan grabbed everyone by the balls with Memento a little over a decade ago, and look where he's gone since - setting the bar for the comic book movie. Gibson exploded as a director in the 90's with Braveheart, almost single-handedly revitalizing the "historical epic," Spielberg blew the doors off action film-making with Raiders of the Lost Ark. And so on and on it goes.

You have NEVER seen the "best" movie a genre has to offer. . . because it really hasn't been made yet.

Posted · Report post

Shaun of the Dead is still the funniest movie I've ever seen, though American Psycho comes a close second (due to many an inside joke).

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I'm cracking my knuckles. Shappy, you and me, man... we have a score to settle.

Dance-off. :dance:

Posted · Report post

Shaun of the Dead is still the funniest movie I've ever seen, though American Psycho comes a close second (due to many an inside joke).

Dat's placist!

(get it?) :P