• 1,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

Awesome.

#3 TheGreatPotato

TheGreatPotato
  • Newly Registered
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Downloading now, will play tomorrow night.  And Guild Wars 2 open beta next weekend too!

#4 KNMDave

KNMDave
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Yes, I'm downloading now.
Posted Image

#5 markot

markot
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Ive played for abit.  Its pretty bleh.

Torchlight will make me more fun be yes.

#6 NzYme

NzYme
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Will be working my butt off for the next two weeks on a company acquisition.  Make sure you guys post some impressions !!

#7 bbd23

bbd23
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Download complete. now I wait.

#8 JVC920

JVC920

RSN

• 5,036 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Played already and enjoy.  Not playiing any more of the Beta since just going to wait for the game now.
Posted Image

#9 projectmayhem

projectmayhem

I AM THE LAW

• 7,830 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

I'd rather wait until release
Posted Image

#10 Riley@Work

Riley@Work
  • Banned
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

I won't be playing with any characters I plan to invest time in once the release happens.  I'll probably try out the Witch Doctor a bit since that looks like the dumbest class, at least I can learn the new mechanics a bit.

#11 Z3M0G

Z3M0G
  • 7,754 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada
  • PSN ID:Z3M0G

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Open to all?  Damn.. this or Tera... this or Tera... considering I'll barely have any time to try either of them...
Posted Image FINAL FANTASY X|V
Posted Image Tarek Darichian (Sargatanas)   Wild Tonberries <<STAB!>>  Posted ImagePALADIN(50) Posted ImageLANCER
Posted Image  DIABLO I|I AuraElisten (DemonHunter)

#12 bbd23

bbd23
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostZ3M0G, on 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Open to all?  Damn.. this or Tera... this or Tera... considering I'll barely have any time to try either of them...
Tera sucks so...

#13 JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Servers are getting pounded...

#14 bbd23

bbd23
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

yup cant log in.

#15 JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Looks like the stress test identified an error with the Login servers.  Haha.  Blizzard just posted a message on the login screen saying they are working on it.

I am starting to doubt if I will be able to play this evening at all....

#16 LMN8R

LMN8R
  • 9,160 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Xbox Live:dLMN8R
  • PSN ID:dLMN8R
  • NIntendo ID:Lammy
  • 3DS FC:0576-4298-6518
  • Steam ID:LMN8R

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Always nice when betas let developers figure out exactly the types of issues they were hoping to figure out!

#17 forsayken

forsayken
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I don't like how you don't get attribute points. I like to customize my character. I don't like that I can't equip whatever the hell I want - regardless of how stupid it might be (like a bow on a barbarian). I want the options. I also like skill points. Where are those? I didn't get any runes in the beta though. It just seems like there is less customization here.

#18 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

This new skill system blows

#19 odhen

odhen
  • Newly Registered
  • 934 posts
  • LocationBromaha, NE

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

I finally played through Diablo 1 a couple years ago but couldn't get very far into Diablo 2 due to suspected burnout on the game style, so I'm not sure about this but is the awful Deckard Cain voice acting a sacred cow? Because seriously, that may have been acceptable when Diablo 2 was released, but in 2012 when the company is one of the largest, richest game companies out there releasing "AAA" games, I would expect them to at least have tolerable voice acting and not something that makes me want to play without sound.
FACT: I post opinions.
Posted Image

#20 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

Kinda boring?  Also suuuuper easy.  Might try a different character tomorrow.  This game will do well on consoles

#21 forsayken

forsayken
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

It is pretty easy. I finished the whole demo with a barb. I got close to dying once during a miniboss because there were 3-4 of them. The difficulty doesn't bother me because he'll/inferno will be awesome.

Are the maps randomly generated at all?

Btw I love the voice acting. Cain is awesome!

#22 misfit410

misfit410
  • 7,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

it's not just that it's easy, it's that it's so friggen slow..
It feels more like Diablo 1 than 2..

It just made me want to go play Titan Quest again.
Gonna give it more time and see if it gets better.. will still buy it though as even still they can always fix it.

#23 JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

I finished the beta last night on a Monk.  It was fun, but was getting a bit boring due to the default difficulty setting being way too low.  I didn't use a single potion until the fight with the skeleton king.  Going to have to ramp up the difficulty with the full version.

#24 Dexterryu

Dexterryu
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Looks like it's down again... played 5 minutes before bed last night around midnight. Then tried this morning and am getting servers busy

#25 ktownhero

ktownhero

Strongsauce McGee

• 7,530 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

View Postphazedplasma, on 21 April 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

This new skill system blows

I'm curious to see how it ultimately fleshes out with the Runes and what not.  It looks like they essentially wanted to avoid people "breaking" their character or feeling obliged to save up points, which is a valuable goal.  Even though it feels a bit more simplified, I have to say that I like that when playing the little bit of this game that I got to that I didn't have to think about my character as much, and could just focus on gameplay.  My character still develops, but it's not this huge stresser.  I also like how they did that with the button layout -- made it easy to use and something that you don't have to stress about.

We'll see, I guess it ultimately depends on what kind of customizations items and runes ultimately give.

#26 /Z/

/Z/
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

The beta is just a fraction of the first Act on the easiest difficulty. Not sure why people are complaining that it's too easy. Go back and play D2 up to the Blood Moor...that's easy as hell too.
This plane is definitely crashing
This boat is obviously sinking
This building's totally burning down
And my heart has slowly dried up

#27 forsayken

forsayken
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

View Postktownhero, on 21 April 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

I'm curious to see how it ultimately fleshes out with the Runes and what not.  It looks like they essentially wanted to avoid people "breaking" their character or feeling obliged to save up points, which is a valuable goal.  Even though it feels a bit more simplified, I have to say that I like that when playing the little bit of this game that I got to that I didn't have to think about my character as much, and could just focus on gameplay.  My character still develops, but it's not this huge stresser.  I also like how they did that with the button layout -- made it easy to use and something that you don't have to stress about.

We'll see, I guess it ultimately depends on what kind of customizations items and runes ultimately give.

I think they wanted to avoid people saving up skills too. Shoulda copied TQ. They half-fixed this problem with Diablo 2 by making lower skills "synergize". I think Titan Quest did it right. You get a base skill in the skill tree and any skills branching from it simply "boost" the base skill. For example, you have a shield attack. When you get another skill in that branch, it allows a better swing to hit multiple targets. I really like that. Diablo 2 was broken (pre-synergy patch) in that you got firebolt and then at lvl 12 you unlocked fireball. Wtf was the point of fire bolt? Fireball was better in every single way. At least the synergy patch made it so that each point in firebolt gave extra damage to fireball. Had Diablo 3 copied TQ, fire bolt would be the old spell and at level 12, firebolt is upgraded to do splash damage. I'm looking forward to Grim Dawn because of how TQ works. I'm fairly skeptical of Diablo 3's skill system right now. Blizzard has never really messed anything up badly so I presume all will be well.

#28 Riley@Work

Riley@Work
  • Banned
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

My biggest gripe is the camera: it's way too low.  If it were angled higher it would be ok, but right now it's really low and I find the obstruction of view annoying.

#29 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

View Postktownhero, on 21 April 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

I just feel like D2 had a lot of customization, and choice.  Each level was a decision, do you save your points to pump into a later skill? etc etc.  I didnt get any of that in this game.

#30 legend

legend

Dreams of Electric Sheep

• 17,610 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

The servers keep going down *and* I keep losing progress (e.g., items) when they kick me out because of it. I hope this is just issues with the beta and that when the final rolls out with it's "always connected" BS that this isn't a recurring problem.

Also not sure how I feel about the skill system either. It's early of course, but I feel like there is very little customization compared to DII. Monk is kind of fun though.
I passed the Turing test.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Asimov

#31 bbd23

bbd23
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

First diablo game

I like it. :daydream:

#32 Dipship31

Dipship31
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

So when I open up the beta and it asks for my Battle.net log in name and password I enter it, but the "Login" button is blacked out and I can't click it, what's up with that?

Edit: NM read the forums and it needed the log in e-mail. For some reason I thought it was asking for the battle.net name. So now I can log in, but the servers still full :(
Posted Image

#33 /Z/

/Z/
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

View Postphazedplasma, on 21 April 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I just feel like D2 had a lot of customization, and choice.  Each level was a decision, do you save your points to pump into a later skill? etc etc.  I didnt get any of that in this game.

The problem with D2 in this area is that there were only a small number of viable builds that would survive in later difficulties. To be honest, the D2 skill trees had a lot of crap skills that no one used. And when it comes to selecting attributes, all you ended up doing is getting Strength up just enough to equip the best gear, getting Dexterity up enough to max out blocking, and dumping the rest in vitality.

While it was kinda fun at first to -try- different builds, most of them would fail.

D3 fixes this by shifting the customization from the character to the skills.  It's looking like every single skill can be viable in the endgame because of runes and how the skills are designed.  The customization comes into how you want to equip your skills.  There is actually a lot more customization here than in D2, it's just not as apparent at the start of the game.

And I'd also like to add that gear is going to be even more important and varied in D3 which also adds to customization.  Hell, there are like 15 grades of gems this time.
This plane is definitely crashing
This boat is obviously sinking
This building's totally burning down
And my heart has slowly dried up

#34 Griffy

Griffy
  • 4,841 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities
  • Steam ID:griffy

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, actually one of my least favorite aspects of these kinds of games is the customization with the builds, because I always feel like I'm picking the wrong skills, unless I go online and find the optimal build in which case what's the point? I'd rather the choices I worry most about be "I want to punch guys or shoot magic at guys" and not, "I don't really know which of these skills I should pick so I guess I'll go with this one and hope it doesn't gimp my character."

#35 legend

legend

Dreams of Electric Sheep

• 17,610 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostGriffy, on 21 April 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Yeah, actually one of my least favorite aspects of these kinds of games is the customization with the builds, because I always feel like I'm picking the wrong skills, unless I go online and find the optimal build in which case what's the point? I'd rather the choices I worry most about be "I want to punch guys or shoot magic at guys" and not, "I don't really know which of these skills I should pick so I guess I'll go with this one and hope it doesn't gimp my character."

Part of the fun was in the experimentation. I used to sit on diabloii.net with a calculator crunching numbers to plan out different kinds of builds and then go and create them. Things often changed through the patches too, which meant new possibilities. If you kept up with the game, this definitely could result in finding the best builds on your own before it became well known in the community; that is, you could be on the frontline of experimentation with the community in finding those optimal builds.
I passed the Turing test.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Asimov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users