HBO - Girls

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,254 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

First episode was awesome. I wasn't a big fan of Lena Dunham's film Tiny Furniture but so far Girls is absolutely pitch-perfect. Incredibly excited for the rest of the season.
but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#2 Darklord110

Darklord110
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

I quite enjoyed it as well. Looking forward to more.

#3 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

It was pretty good. The girls are less sympathetic than I'd like, but it seemed realistic enough. I think my girlfriend, who moved to NYC after college and tried living there while working for Random House Publishing for 3 years and barely making ends meet would relate much better than I would.

I can't understand why someone would move to NYC without a job, or even with one? It's a stupid place for a person with little money to live.
"@Greatoneshere - I think you look into things too deeply." - Karld316

#4 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,411 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

eh i got a couple chuckles out of it
Posted Image

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 970 SSC, 8GB 1600 ram, 1 TB cav black, z77

#5 SiskoKid

SiskoKid
  • Newly Registered
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

I enjoyed it a lot actually.  I'm fascinated with it because I disliked almost every character.  But not because they're badly written or acted.  

I even disliked her parents that cut her off cold turkey.  I get what they're trying to do, but cutting back on her would help just as much.  Throwing your kid on the street essentially is just terrible.

It was really interesting.  I'm curious to see how the show plays out.
"Them Greeks...!" a 3D animated short film you can participate in:

TWITTER (@themgreeks)
FACEBOOK

Post your interest on our social media pages if you'd like to help the production (texture artist, 3D modeler, animator, etc.)

#6 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostSiskoKid, on 16 April 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

I even disliked her parents that cut her off cold turkey.  I get what they're trying to do, but cutting back on her would help just as much.  Throwing your kid on the street essentially is just terrible.

True - but they are under a false impression regarding their daughter. They think she still has her internship and it will lead to a job soon and that her book is far more alnog than it is and is more likely to get published when it actually won't be at all.

#7 SiskoKid

SiskoKid
  • Newly Registered
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostGreatoneshere, on 16 April 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

True - but they are under a false impression regarding their daughter. They think she still has her internship and it will lead to a job soon and that her book is far more alnog than it is and is more likely to get published when it actually won't be at all.

I understand.  But it's still terrible.  I think scaling things back makes far more sense especially since they KNOW she's not making money yet.  Just because you will make money soon, allegedly, doesn't mean you can just skate by in the meantime.  And although, yes, her parents deserve to relax in their old age, the mom wanting to escape to a lake house or whatever it was and just leave her daughter hanging was just bad.

I just felt like everyone, including the parents, came off as not totally likable.  I understand them, but each character just came off really rough.  

I'm also saying that's a good thing.  It intrigued me that I didn't like the characters.  I won't say it's "real" that way, but it's definitely far more interesting than knowing, "Oh, she's the slutty one.  Oh, she's the smart one."

TWITTER (@themgreeks)
FACEBOOK

Post your interest on our social media pages if you'd like to help the production (texture artist, 3D modeler, animator, etc.)

#8 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostSiskoKid, on 16 April 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I understand.  But it's still terrible.  I think scaling things back makes far more sense especially since they KNOW she's not making money yet.  Just because you will make money soon, allegedly, doesn't mean you can just skate by in the meantime.  And although, yes, her parents deserve to relax in their old age, the mom wanting to escape to a lake house or whatever it was and just leave her daughter hanging was just bad.

I just felt like everyone, including the parents, came off as not totally likable.  I understand them, but each character just came off really rough.  

I'm also saying that's a good thing.  It intrigued me that I didn't like the characters.  I won't say it's "real" that way, but it's definitely far more interesting than knowing, "Oh, she's the slutty one.  Oh, she's the smart one."

Yeah well it's her own damn fault for trying to live in NYC of all place. :P

#9 IRMacGuyver

IRMacGuyver
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

It looks like Tiny Furniture the series.

Also I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the father from the Honey I Shrunk the Kids tv series.
If you do everything right no one knows you've done anything at all.

#10 never_knows_best

never_knows_best

Not a Mod

• 13,254 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Full episode on YouTube.

but now we dance this grim fandango
and will four years before we rest

#11 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I thought it was pretty good.  I'm hoping theres a likable male character in the show at some point.

#12 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postphazedplasma, on 17 April 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

I thought it was pretty good.  I'm hoping theres a likable male character in the show at some point.

The three dudes are already more likeable than the entirety of the female cast.

#13 Darklord110

Darklord110
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

This episode had me cracking up at some things. I think I enjoyed it more than the first.

#14 SiskoKid

SiskoKid
  • Newly Registered
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

Tonight's episode had me fucking ROLLING!!! I don't remember laughing so much watching a half hour of television.  Kudos to Lena!

I can't wait for my husband to watch this tomorrow :D

I also enjoyed Veep too.  Not especially amazing, but I still liked it.

TWITTER (@themgreeks)
FACEBOOK

#15 Firewithin

Firewithin

HAIL HYDRA!

• 15,411 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

I tried to like this show but its just not funny to me.  Not one likable person in the entire show either
Posted Image

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 970 SSC, 8GB 1600 ram, 1 TB cav black, z77

#16 phazedplasma

phazedplasma
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

The 2nd episode was a lot funnier.  I'm on board for this.

#17 Greatoneshere

Greatoneshere
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

This episode was definitely a lot better. Guys are still the best part of the show though.

"See you ladies. I mean, see you sluts. *pauses* You're a slut. Bye."

#18 Massdriver

Massdriver
  • 3,085 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I've only seen episode 1 and have mixed feelings. As sisko mentioned, I find myself disliking all the characters. I'll watch ep 2 before I make a full judgment on whether or not I'll continue watching.

#19 IRMacGuyver

IRMacGuyver
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostIRMacGuyver, on 17 April 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

It looks like Tiny Furniture the series.

Also I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the father from the Honey I Shrunk the Kids tv series.
lol I just found out it is the same girl that wrote/directed/stared in that.  So I guess it is Tiny Furniture the series.  I wasn't interested in it so I just hadn't bothered to check till someone was talking about it at work today.
If you do everything right no one knows you've done anything at all.

#20 Zeluge

Zeluge
  • 352 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

lol IRM, don't ever change.

Been greatly enjoying the show thus far. The episode charting the dissolution of Marnie and Charlie's relationship did a tremendous job of leveling the playing field regarding where the blame fell, though saying either one was necessarily at fault is awfully reductive, all things considered. It became less of a matter of Marnie being unreasonable and more of a situation wherein Charlie briefly fulfilled a role for her and she outgrew that phase, necessitating a breakup beneficial to both parties.
What do you say we go to a commercial break, brought to you by More Liquor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users