Facebook’s WhatsApp is being exploited

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/update-whatsapp-now-to-avoid-spyware-installation-from-a-single-missed-call/ar-AABkTTA?ocid=AMZN

A vulnerability discovered in Facebook’s WhatsApp messaging app is being exploited to inject commercial spyware onto Android and iOS phones by simply calling the target, reports The Financial Times. The spyware, developed by Israel’s secretive NSO group, can be installed without trace and without the target answering the call, according to security researchers and confirmed by WhatsApp. WhatsApp is urging its 1.5 billion global users to update the app immediately to close the security hole.

“WhatsApp encourages people to upgrade to the latest version of our app, as well as keep their mobile operating system up to date, to protect against potential targeted exploits designed to compromise information stored on mobile devices,” said WhatsApp in a statement.

The vulnerability discovered in early May, was exploited as recently as Sunday when a UK-based human rights lawyer was targeted by NSO’s flagship Pegasus program, according to researchers at Citizens Lab. Once installed, Pegasus can turn on a phone’s camera and mic, scan emails and messages, and collect the user’s location data.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Nokra said:

How popular is WhatsApp in the US? It's the top messaging app here in Europe, but I get the impression that it's not all that common there. Do any of you use it? 

It's not nearly as popular in the US as it is in non-American markets.

I have it installed but rarely use it.

59 minutes ago, Nokra said:

How popular is WhatsApp in the US? It's the top messaging app here in Europe, but I get the impression that it's not all that common there. Do any of you use it? 

I use it constantly but again, to keep in touch with my family back in Europe. In my experience, it's mainly a European thing. 

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Facebook Messenger

Facebook Messenger is a lot worse than WhatsApp. Then again, Facebook hasn't really had the chance to ruin WhatsApp yet.

I use WhatsApp quite bit, but I'm also Latino and use it mostly to keep in touch with family and share video and pictures of the kids. That's far more preferable than sharing them on Facebook or some other social media platform. WhatsApp with a Facebook Messenger back end is going to suck.

I use WhatsApp a ton. It's an amazing and intuitive app and certainly blows the regular texting app and Facebook Messenger out the window. I do use it to communicate with family and friends back in Pakistan but I use it with friends here in the US as well. I don't use Viber but am aware of it.