Outer Wilds - Information and Discussion Thread, update: "Echoes of the Eye" DLC reviews posted

Pikachu

See Shreddie's comment and "If you put me in a room with ten executives and asked me to pitch Outer Wilds, here is what I would say: “It’s got the exploration of a Metroid game and the structure of Majora’s Mask crossed with the interstellar wonder of No Man’s Skyand the narrative framework of Return of the Obra Dinn.”" comment from Kotaku's article are things that genuinely get me excited about this game.

Then I go watch some gameplay and I'm like what is going on. Maybe its just something I need to play and try. Which is probably what I'm going to do because I'm kind of going through a gaming slump right now.  

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It... it takes like 5 minutes to reach your ship...

That’s not true. You talk to the residents. You play hide and seek. You go into the mine. You shoot satellites. I did all of that before getting to the observatory. By the time I finished talking to the person there, I stopped playing and haven’t been back.

37 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

That’s not true. You talk to the residents. You play hide and seek. You go into the mine. You shoot satellites. I did all of that before getting to the observatory. By the time I finished talking to the person there, I stopped playing and haven’t been back.

You chose to do all that. You can literally just walk up and get the codes.

• 6 months later...

So I finally beat this game, and it was fantastic as hell. It's the type of game that is hard to talk about because it is so unique. It took me 18 meandering hours until I manage to roll credits. This is probably my favorite game this year, although I'm still working through Disco Elysium, but I think this is about as close to perfection as I've experienced in a game. Every aspect of this game reinforces everything else in the game. I've typed and deleted a few too many paragraphs describing how brilliant this game is, but who needs to read all that.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Outer Wilds - Information and Discussion Thread, update: "Echoes of the Eye" expansion announced for September 28 release
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Outer Wilds - Information and Discussion Thread, update: "Echoes of the Eye" Launch Trailer
outer_wilds_dlc.png
WWW.POLYGON.COM

A ‘no spoilers’ explanation of why you must play this masterpiece

To keep my promise, I’ll leave it at that. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye is a masterpiece living within another masterpiece. As a sequel, it’s brilliant. And if you take the two games together, as one single video game, then Outer Wilds deserves its space near the top of any list enumerating the greatest games of all time. If you want to argue with me, I suppose you’ll have to try it for yourself

outer_wilds_dlc.0-9a0d_1633089552.jpg?qu
METRO.CO.UK

Acclaimed exploration puzzle game Outer Wilds gets an unexpected expansion that is far from just more of the same.

Echoes Of The Eye takes around eight hours to complete, roughly half that of the original, so it’s a substantial adventure and longer than many standalone indie games. There’s already a compilation that includes both the original game and Echoes Of The Eye, called the Archaeologist Edition, and if you haven’t played either we strongly recommend getting that.

Since it lacks the planet-hopping complexity of the parent game we’re still only going to give Echoes Of The Eye an 8/10 but the original, and both together, is definitely worth a 9… and recognition as one of the best games of the previous generation.

Outer Wilds Echoes of the Eye review - a wondrous, spooky addition to the solar system (Eurogamer - Essential)

If you didn't like Outer Wilds, I'm not sure Echoes will do much for you. All the 2019 game's slight frustrations are back, though you at least won't spend as much time crash-landing on planets or being eaten by fish. The world's running order can't be gainsaid, though you can doze at campfires to fast forward: mistime a crucial jump, or get swept away by the current, and you'll have to twiddle your thumbs till the supernova comes. It's also a little irritating that you can't add images from slide reels to your ship's databanks, just a summary of their content, so if there's a detail you missed in one loop, you'll need to track down that reel again in the next. All of which is, I would argue, a small price to pay for inhabiting a stage production of this intricacy and grandeur, and the platforming is pretty gentle next to the mixed-gravity spelunking of Brittle Hollow or the cyclones of Giant's Deep.

The worst thing about Outer Wilds's first expansion, from my perspective, is that there won't be another one. Which is also, of course, the expansion's best quality, because the last thing I want for this game is anything like the endless, itemisable sprawl of a No Man's Sky. The moral of both the original story and the expansion is that at some point you have to say goodbye - and as goodbyes go, this is one for the ages.

outerwilds-echoesoftheeye-blogroll-16327
WWW.IGN.COM

The Echoes of the Eye DLC is a wonderful return to the clockwork solar system of Outer Wilds.

Echoes of the Eye is a wonderful return to a solar system I never thought I’d see more of, even if it’s in a style I didn’t expect. Its occasional shifts from adventure-puzzler to straight-up horror game are done in wonderfully spooky fashion, but those scary sections also just aren’t quite as interesting as the creative clockwork puzzles that make Outer Wilds so special elsewhere. Even still, the new mysteries and locations within Echoes of the Eye are just as exciting to explore as any of the planets that came before them. 

EchoesFeat.jpg
COGCONNECTED.COM

Echoes of the Eye deviates from what made Outer Wilds a game of the year contender and half of it works while half of it doesn’t. .

While I still enjoyed my time with Echoes overall, I’m a bit disappointed by the approach to wholly abandon the scope of the original and lock players into one area. I also did not enjoy the spooky area as it forces a different playstyle of focusing on how far you can go before you reset. I no longer felt like an intrepid explorer and more like a speedrunner, hoping I could key up a sequence, sneak by, and just get ten feet further than I did last time. In the end, the story changes, and parts of the new area are a delight to see. Some of the new mechanics like the rafting or manipulation of light are most welcome. So while Echoes gives up parts of what made Outer Wilds so great in the grand exploration, Echoes of the Eye is a solid companion piece to the base game. I just wish I didn’t spend nearly all of it away from my spaceship.

outerwildsechoesoftheeyes-1024x534.jpg
WWW.ESCAPISTMAGAZINE.COM

Before jumping into Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. The original 2019 game from Mobius Digital is pretty much as perfect of a game as you can get in my book — an expert blend of powerful exploration, fascinating archaeological mysteries, smart puzzle design, and a satisfying conclusion that all gelled together with one of my all-time favorite soundtracks to create a generational experience. What could possibly be...

Outer Wilds is as confident of a game as I can think of. It’s confident in its simple mechanics, confident in its impactful story, and confident in how the experience all gels together. It also reflects that confidence back to the player, giving us just the right amount of breadcrumbs needed to find our own way out of the woods. And so, it’s fitting that Echoes of the Eye exudes that same level of confidence to mix up the formula, take us to an unexpected new location, and challenge us in ways that the original game didn’t. It’s so much more than just “more Outer Wilds,” and it has me thrilled to see what Mobius Digital does next.

outerwildseote.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

A fantastic sendoff for a special game.

Echoes of the Eye diverges from the base game in some welcome ways, but it still feels like it’s a part of the same universe. It was a risk for Mobius Digital to squeeze another planet into Outer Wilds, which already felt like a complete package with more than enough mystery to unspool. But this spooky, mystifying expansion is an integral part of the experience, as well as a fantastic send-off for a special game.

outer-wilds-echoes-of-the-eye-2.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Outer Wilds, our GOTY 2019, got a brand new DLC called Echoes Of The Eye, and it's so sensational that you shouldn't ask us to tell you about it...

The concept of DLC is so tainted by crude content dumps and tired ideas given one last squeeze that I must admit I struggled to imagine what this smart, careful team could be trying to achieve in this space. Turns out they’re making more smart, careful game, in space. Sounds obvious when you think about it, perhaps the only time you can say that about Echoes Of The Eye: a game of rare imagination, and simply too good to spoil.

02_ow_eote_screenshot.jpeg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Outer Wilds’ first expansion, Echoes of the Eye, slides neatly into the base game.

I’m only a few hours into Echoes of the Eye, but I can already tell it’s worth the price of admission. My favorite moments from the base game revolved around exploring the tiny solar system and learning about its history. I marveled over the massive water world covered in tornados and watched in awe as a black hole tore apart a planet from the inside out. Echoes of the Eye is full of its own awe-inspiring sights. I loved hunting around the Halo world for new clues and solving environmental puzzles to uncover hidden doors. Every loop holds the promise of discovery; every time I accidentally drowned in a flood or crashed my ship into the side of a planet, I started up a new loop wide-eyed and ready for another adventure.

OuterWilds_EoEArt_092821.jpg
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

New DLC for Outer Wilds is out today. Here's what we think of how Echoes of the Eye fits into the broader puzzle box of Outer Wilds.

My one wrinkle so far has been that, for all the ways Echoes of the Eye fits right into Outer Wilds and carries forward some of its best thinking in terms of puzzle design and clever solutions, it also includes “stealth” as part of it. Those who have braved the Dark Bramble in the base Outer Wilds have an idea of what’s in store, and after putting a fair few hours into Echoes of the Eye, it’s been my one continued point of frustration. Even though it’s effective, and even at times quite scary, it might become a headache that may wrinkle the experience for those who aren’t into it.

That said, Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye has been a delight to pick apart and solve thus far. As I said before, I’m about eight to nine hours in and still trying to solve the greater mysteries of this DLC—think of it less like a new planet, and more like a new mini-mystery all its own. It has its own style, its own lore and history to discover, and it takes Outer Wilds to places that are simply delightful to uncover all on your own.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Outer Wilds - Information and Discussion Thread, update: "Echoes of the Eye" DLC reviews posted

Played through a big chunk of this last night, and it retains everything that made the game such a wondrous and unbelievable experience while focusing and improving several aspects of it at the same time.  This is the only game I can ever remember playing that elicits intense feelings of awe, wonder, surprise, and fear.  There is so much imagination here that it's hard for me to understand how such a small team could create something with this much insight and this many big ideas.

It's phenomenal, and cements Outer Wilds as one of the all-time greats.  It's a singular experience in games that I can't imagine will be topped for me for some time.

• Shocked 1

Just got around to starting the DLC a little while ago. Just getting to the new content for the first time alone is awesome. They really outdid themselves on what is already a fantastic game. Can't wait to dig in more when I have time. I am totally satisfied with my play session simply being finding the content and checking it out for a bit because it was so cool.

• 3 months later...

So I tried this game on Game Pass back when it first came out. The “eh, it’s basically free” aspect of GP made it really easy for me to put the game away after I played for about 15 minutes, in which I explored that starting area, got into the ship, fucked up landing on an another planet, and died. So after a year and a half of hearing how this game is a hard to describe masterpiece, I tried it again. I’ve played it for a few hours now, and I’m starting to get the appeal. My ship’s log is filling up with interesting threads for me to follow no matter where I land. Any initial frustrations I had with getting around have mostly subsided. But I also haven’t had any real “oh shit” moments yet. I’m definitely going to stick with it, because I really want to see how everything ties together.