- - - - -

Legend of Grimrock "Tips & Tricks" for those new to Dungeon Crawlers.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian04

Lucian04

"You're hot, I have a penis, lets do this."

• 64,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Loot Dropped by most enemies is random.  Certain enemies will always drop the same loot, such as the Undead Legionnaire on the 1st Floor.

Ground Loot, loot that is laying about, will always be the same in every play through.

You can find secrets by looking for curved or rectangular notches within stones.  They're usually at eye level and once you spot them, they should be easier to recognize.

Not all switches open a secret in front of you.  Some will open a secret in another area on the same level.

You do not instantly die in pits.  Not only that, pits usually contain some sort of loot.

If you have a mage in your party, please spend two points in a spell class (do fire first, then earth), otherwise he is absolutely useless till you finally get him to level since he gains experience much slower than everyone else.
My Gaming Devices / Ultimate Mod Thread / Don't Starve (PS4/PSV) Discussion
Currently Playing: Diablo III UEE - PS4; Dark Souls 2 - PC; Counter Spy - PS4/PSV; Don't Starve (PS4/PSV)

#2 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

Have you tried being calm?

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

Conserve food! Figure out how much of your food bar each kind of food fills up and then use to fill up, don't waste food! Also, if you have minotaur fighters, get your athletic skill up quickly as it will reduce their food consumption.

Has anyone found a food drop location or food drop monster re-spawn that lets you harvest food?
PC: i4790K, 32Gb 2400 MHz RAM, EVGA GTX980 SLI 4-Way, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD, Asus Z97-WS Mobo, Corsair 80 Plus Platinum 1200 watt PSU, Win8.1
GameCenter (iOS) Profile: Mr.Vic20

#3 Edgekun

Edgekun

Grandmaster Non-Contributor

• 9,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

the combat in this game looks absolutely horrible from the videos i saw
Posted Image

#4 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostEdgekun, on 12 April 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

the combat in this game looks absolutely horrible from the videos i saw

It depends on what you are expecting. This is a love letter to old school dungeon crawlers and plays just like it should, if that is your thing! :)
PC: i4790K, 32Gb 2400 MHz RAM, EVGA GTX980 SLI 4-Way, 256Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD, Asus Z97-WS Mobo, Corsair 80 Plus Platinum 1200 watt PSU, Win8.1

#5 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostMr. Victor Twenty, on 12 April 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

It depends on what you are expecting. This is a love letter to old school dungeon crawlers and plays just like it should, if that is your thing! :)
This.  It's also real time unlike other recent dungeon crawlers like Class of Heroes.
Currently Playing: Diablo III UEE - PS4; Dark Souls 2 - PC; Counter Spy - PS4/PSV; Don't Starve (PS4/PSV)

#6 Edgekun

Edgekun

• 9,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

just looks like running back and forth stuck in a grid pattern while slashing enemies wildly could be a real chore
Posted Image

#7 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostEdgekun, on 12 April 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

just looks like running back and forth stuck in a grid pattern while slashing enemies wildly could be a real chore

It is, and that's part of this style of game. It might not be fun for you, that's all. For me, its a blast! :D

#8 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostMr. Victor Twenty, on 12 April 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

It is, and that's part of this style of game. It might not be fun for you, that's all. For me, its a blast! :D

I don't think he has ever played a proper dungeon crawl.

#9 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostLucian04, on 12 April 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Yeah, if i didn't grow up playing these types of games I might wonder what the big deal was too! :lol:

#10 Edgekun

Edgekun

• 9,523 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostLucian04, on 12 April 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

i guess youre right, i just kind of figured it would be better to merge the old with the new and create something better than to go with something that is admittedly a chore just for the sake of being old school.

regardless the game is pretty intriguing looking.
Posted Image

#11 LionFranco

LionFranco

2014: Year of the Vita!

• 23,965 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, i was thrown off by the real time battling at first too, thats why you want to make sure you cannot get surrounded, even if you need to back yourself into a corner so you are attacked only from the front, it can save your life.

I would like to see some respawning enemies too, but i dont think there are any.
Final Fantaxy XIV - The reason all of my other video games are neglected.

Vita, PS4, 3DS, PSP, PS3, PC, WiiU, Wii & 360
PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,
Freedom Wars, another Dragons Dogma game, Mighty Number 9, etc.
FFXIV: Jeroak Nelave

The Big Bang makes sense concerning the origin of the universe. God does not.
Nothing comes from nothing, God never could.
Evolution is not the problem. God is the problem.

#12 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostEdgekun, on 12 April 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

i guess youre right, i just kind of figured it would be better to merge the old with the new and create something better than to go with something that is admittedly a chore just for the sake of being old school.

regardless the game is pretty intriguing looking.

It's not really a chore so much as you just have to play intelligently.  That and the party that you create will decide how hard or easy the challenge will be for you.

#13 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,965 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I honestly wish i had known about the 2 points in a particular spell level before you could use any. My mage was useless until I got a spear, and he got to lvl 2 not long after.

PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 8-core, ASUS M5A97 mobo, 8gb DDR3 ram, GTX760 4gb (downloaded) video card, 2x 1 TB HDD's -
Anticipating: Infamous: Second Son, FFX/X-2 Remaster, Toukiden, Drive Club, Starlight Inception,

#14 LionFranco

LionFranco

• 23,965 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think this is a good tip.

If your torch goes out, dont throw it away, go back to the nearest wall torch you have passed, and put the used one in there and take the fresh one. It still illuminates the dungeon like it were new (but you cant take it back and it be restored or anything).

#15 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

*** Whatever you do, try not to sleep! Whenever possible run back to the nearest blue Crystal and heal in that fashion rather than sleeping. Sleep is murder on your food supplies.

*** Whenever possible fight in a circular movement so that the enemy is forced to keep following you. You can swipe at them and retreat over and over, allowing you to do significant damage and denying them a proper counter attack.

*** If its available use a door to control combat! Ready your spells, open door, fire, close door, wait for spells to be ready again, rinse repeat!

*** Get your warriors to level 10 in athletics so that you earn the -25% to food consumption benefit, its worth it!

*** 2 humans in the front as warriors and two incests in the back as mages makes for a powerful offensive party, that consumers very little food.

*** If you are facing a difficult puzzle, save your game then solve the puzzle, then reload and solve the puzzle again so that you don't lose all that experimentation time, as it adds up!

*** For mages, don't spread your level points around! Get your Fire and Staff skills up so that you get fireball and light spells first. Each kind of magic has its own benefits but fireball is the old reliable work horse of the magic world!

*** warriors spread out your skill point on Athletics, main weapon, and armor. you only need to get your main weapon to 10, the same goes for athletics, then dump the rest in to armor until you can wear heavy armor then jump back to main weapon.

#16 VisualDeadlock

VisualDeadlock

Warlord

• 323 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

here is my useful tip, kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

When fighting spiders and you get poisoned, immediately after the fight ends, press R to rest, you are still poisoned, but you will still heal up while taking poisoned dmg, after a bit while resting, the poison goes away and then you can stop resting.  I've been in so many fights where the party wins, but my fighter is a sliver from death and taking poison DoT dmg.  I imediately rest, fighter heals up and poison goes away.  Saves me having to find a res stone.

#17 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Level six has a room where snails respawn.  So use that to stock up on food.

Level 9 also has an area where enemies respawn and drop food.

#18 Zhane

Zhane
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I was extremely interested until I saw it was real-time. Bleh.

Posted Image

Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.

#19 Mr. Victor Twenty

Mr. Victor Twenty

• Jolly Green Giant
  • 13,653 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostZhane, on 14 April 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

I was extremely interested until I saw it was real-time. Bleh.

Not surprised at all Mr! This kind of title has a fairly narrow demographic!

#20 Synastar

Synastar
  • 681 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL
  • Steam ID:Synastar

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

View PostMr. Victor Twenty, on 14 April 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Not surprised at all Mr! This kind of title has a fairly narrow demographic!

Love the old Might and Magic games.  If this was turn based, I'd be all over it.  The real time thing turned me off, but it is getting good reviews and I hope they make a ton of money.

#21 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

What's so wrong with it being real time?  Cant think on your feet or something?

#22 Synastar

Synastar
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostLucian04, on 14 April 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

What's so wrong with it being real time?  Cant think on your feet or something?

Sure, I can think on my feet.  Turn based combat with somewhat modern graphics would have just completed the illusion for me.  If I want real time, I can play any other game that's out right now and do.

#23 Lucian04

Lucian04

• 64,575 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

But there is absolutely no other game (modern grid based Dungeon Crawl) out right now on the level of quality that Legend of Grimrock brings to the table in it's particular genre.  So your statement does not compute unless you can provide me with examples of games that have come out in the last 7 years that are better at what they do then LOG.

#24 Synastar

Synastar
  • 681 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostLucian04, on 14 April 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

But there is absolutely no other game (modern grid based Dungeon Crawl) out right now on the level of quality that Legend of Grimrock brings to the table in it's particular genre.  So your statement does not compute unless you can provide me with examples of games that have come out in the last 7 years that are better at what they do then LOG.

I never said anything about the game's quality.  I just said I don't think it's for me because I prefer turn-based combat in this type of game.  I have 346 games in Steam.  My backlog is to the point where I try to avoid buying games that I might like.

#25 Zarich

Zarich
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I love this game.

#26 VisualDeadlock

VisualDeadlock

Warlord

• 323 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:01 AM

By the way, I just found out you can replay the game with one character, and better yet, you can play as Toorum.

SPOILER:

If you find Toorum's remains on level 10, use them on a resurrection stone.  Then start a new game, name the first character Toorum, and hit Enter.  Bam!  He starts with some points built in already and has an extra trait called Thunderstruck, which is a trait for increased speed.  Enjoy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users