How many BC writers are interested in doing a shared world fantasy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,123 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

For those who dont know, the premise is to get a team of writers, and write a fantasy novel with each chapter being the work of a different author. You start with one author, and when he is finished his chapter, he forwards the work to the other authors. They then decide which author should be next. It can also be done in a rotating list, but I would say the agreement of the authors on how the general story arc should go would provide a better story, imo. We start with nothing but our characters, create, and then build off of each other. The third option is doing it blind, which is harder. You take all the authors, start with one, they write, then decide who to give it to next. But I find this is the hardest way to come up with a good story, because you get little conversation among the writers because of the nature of the style being 'blind'.

I was hoping to do it in a PoV style, where each writer looks after a single character within the story, each being an equally important part of the story. Of course we would each need to write an in-depth character bio. Not before deciding which authors will be heroes, villains, neutral, etc etc.

The only guideline is that this is serious fantasy. I don't want things getting stupid, outright ridiculous and over the top. All other details can be worked out among the group. I would be interested in creating a map, and sending a copy to each person, allowing them to place towns, places, and landmarks as they create them. Basically I would create a map that only had plains/mountains/forests/rivers/lakes, and you add towns, landmarks, and natural wonders where needed as you write, you then scan that copy and forward it to the other writers when you're finished the chapter you are currently writing.

Things to be decided:

Editing style: Should we edit as a group? Do we edit as we go, or when the work is done?

Secondary Characters: Should we take on the odd PoV of a secondary character when we decide we need it, choosing among us who does it, or do we write those chapters together?

Time Limit per chapter: We need to keep the speed rolling, but at the same time, we cant be rushing people who otherwise have lives, and I don't want to cut in on all of another authors writing time.

Words per chapter: Of course nothing would be set in stone. If a shorter chapter is needed, its fine. But should we standardize the length of each chapter? Just make a maximum length? Say 8-10k words MAXIMUM per chapter, with no minimum? Less?

How many chapters are we aiming for? 30~ would be 5 for writers. We really could go higher.

If it truly turned out well, would you be interested in shared publishing on Kindle? 3$ per book would net us $2.10(70%) per copy sold, split between however many of us there are. It would never amount to much, i'm sure, but why not?

If you're interested, I need a pm or post here with the following info.

Name, as well as pen name if different.

Email- It would be nice if everyone opened a gmail account, because of the free services they offer. If someone refuses, that's fine. But getting one would be great. I will also make a shared email account for us all to use, just as a backup for everything we do.

Ideas and changes you would like to see made to our guidelines.

Any needs or requirements you need before committing.

It would be great to get a decent number of writers interested. Speak up! Comments, ideas, anything!
Master Race slave driver.

Buy parts->Build->Install windows>Install Drivers->Install Steam->Profit.

#2 AlmostAutumn

AlmostAutumn
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I can't say I'm willing, as I've tried collaborative writing in the past and I'm way too egotistic/spontaneous to really respect the overall project, but an idea that, while personally more befitting but may also be worth considering for the Writer group, is;

To collaboratively create a singular world affixed with limits agreed upon (Ex: D1P Universe, a Fantasy realm subject to videogame mascots, etc:), and from there to procure a series of short stories by each writer for that universe. In particular, something befitting the forum (gaming) I think would yield the highest results. While this would not procure the more epic results of a group novel, it could instigate more interest and, potentially, more results/critiques, which I'm sure plenty of writers on here would appreciate.
*Writers can collaboratively create of course. But instead of affixing it to a continuous project, it should be completely open to any and all creativity common to the universe itself.*

Other thoughts;

Word Count is unnecessary. 500 or 10,000 shouldn't matter, so long as the writing is adamant in concept. I don't think it needs to be treated as so serious as a project, whether in novel or any other form, and that the intent/psychosis of the writer should be evident in the prose itself. This brings me to editing;

Editing is handled by the group, but only when it is apparently honest. All too often I've seen writers churn out fiction that looks like it's a second draft or, worse, completely unedited. Personally, I find this completely unacceptable, and have never once given them an ounce of attention. That said, if a writer wants a critique than they should post so on the bottom of their script, but this does not constitute a given response. Again, this doesn't have to be taken so serious, particularly because I think it would be great to acquire the more peevish group of D1P persons to participate, but if someone wants their writing to be taken serious than the initial community should be willing and able to do so; there's a lot of responsibility for the initial creators of this, I think.

Also, what is the writer community of D1P? I haven't seen ED in ages, nor Jaconkin. What's it down to for regular posters?

#3 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,123 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostAlmostAutumn, on 07 April 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

I can't say I'm willing, as I've tried collaborative writing in the past and I'm way too egotistic/spontaneous to really respect the overall project, but an idea that, while personally more befitting but may also be worth considering for the Writer group, is;

To collaboratively create a singular world affixed with limits agreed upon (Ex: D1P Universe, a Fantasy realm subject to videogame mascots, etc:), and from there to procure a series of short stories by each writer for that universe. In particular, something befitting the forum (gaming) I think would yield the highest results. While this would not procure the more epic results of a group novel, it could instigate more interest and, potentially, more results/critiques, which I'm sure plenty of writers on here would appreciate.
*Writers can collaboratively create of course. But instead of affixing it to a continuous project, it should be completely open to any and all creativity common to the universe itself.*

Other thoughts;

Word Count is unnecessary. 500 or 10,000 shouldn't matter, so long as the writing is adamant in concept. I don't think it needs to be treated as so serious as a project, whether in novel or any other form, and that the intent/psychosis of the writer should be evident in the prose itself. This brings me to editing;

Editing is handled by the group, but only when it is apparently honest. All too often I've seen writers churn out fiction that looks like it's a second draft or, worse, completely unedited. Personally, I find this completely unacceptable, and have never once given them an ounce of attention. That said, if a writer wants a critique than they should post so on the bottom of their script, but this does not constitute a given response. Again, this doesn't have to be taken so serious, particularly because I think it would be great to acquire the more peevish group of D1P persons to participate, but if someone wants their writing to be taken serious than the initial community should be willing and able to do so; there's a lot of responsibility for the initial creators of this, I think.

Also, what is the writer community of D1P? I haven't seen ED in ages, nor Jaconkin. What's it down to for regular posters?

I'm not sure. I do know there are five or six of who write, for sure.

I actually love your idea, about building short stories around a shared world. I think that would be a lot of fun, and like you said, it removes the egotistical element that is sure to become a part of a shared creative writing venture. So If enough people would prefer that, I would love to go that way with the project.

I will make a map of the world, and from there, each and every person can write their own fiction based on the world, with no constraints of time period, or anything like that. We can build our own history as we go. And perhaps we could have the admins build a repository to keep the stories available for current and future members of the website. We can even allow authors to use D1P members as secondary characters within the world, just little Easter eggs if you will. Not the actual person, just a model of what you think that person is. Using exact nbames could cause too many problems. This of course would be up to the author, and is in no way a requirement.

So, If you are interested in writing a short story based on a shared world, please post in this thread. I will still keep the idea of a shared story open for the moment. So if your interested, just let me know, but most importantly, if you would like to write a short story for a collaborative effort here at D1P, just let me know and we will work out whatever info and items you need.

#4 AlmostAutumn

AlmostAutumn
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Cool beans, but now you have to ignite the flame!

So long as it's something in the least bit "open" to intent, I'm all for participating. I'm constantly in lulls for fiction, and that's actually why I started videogame blogs and even participating in D1P contests; anything to keep my typing, so I am actually pretty excited for this! :)

#5 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,123 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostAlmostAutumn, on 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Cool beans, but now you have to ignite the flame!

So long as it's something in the least bit "open" to intent, I'm all for participating. I'm constantly in lulls for fiction, and that's actually why I started videogame blogs and even participating in D1P contests; anything to keep my typing, so I am actually pretty excited for this! :)

Ok, give me 2 weeks to make a map. I will leave time periods and everything open. I will be writing in a midevil fantasy timeline, but if someone else wants to write in the future of that world, or the primitive past, etc etc, they are more than welcome.

#6 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

I am always willing to join in on a writing process.  I absolutely adore writing.
We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#7 Anathema-

Anathema-

It could go either way.

• 45,742 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I can't write like this; sorry.  I hope it works out for you guys.

؟

"There's no way B_T is the most ignored. Too many people still respond to his posts for that to be true." -IRMacGuyver

"You're colder than this ice cream, you COLD BITCH." -Dallas

"I'm horrified and turned on at the same time!" -Irreverent79

DayOneCats

#8 Xbob42

Xbob42
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostAnathema-, on 18 April 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I can't write like this; sorry.  I hope it works out for you guys.

Why not?  It'd be a good way to expand your talents as a writer.  You'd be working under other people's restrictions, or group-defined restrictions.  Knowing how to restrict yourself in your writing, learning to read through your own work as well as others is also a great tool for keeping continuity solid.  Hell, writing in tandem with people you may not necessarily like or agree with is also very useful.  Working as a team with strangers is a very good building exercise.
We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#9 Anathema-

Anathema-

It could go either way.

• 45,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

I find it to be different writing a complete story with a group of people than each person being given a chapter or whatever to work on.  I view a story as a complete entity, a single work of art, and this would be like assigning five different painters to each do ten inches of a painting.  It might make for something interesting at the end but it won't be the same.  It would wind up speaking in five voices with five different messages at best if not just turn out to be a big jumble.

Story is something that should be developed before anything is written.  I find it antithetical to just start writing whatever comes off the top of your head and then proofread it a few times and call it done.

Sorry; I don't want to come off like I'm shitting on the idea but you asked me to explain myself :) .. I'd totally be down for working in a group just not in this method.

؟

"There's no way B_T is the most ignored. Too many people still respond to his posts for that to be true." -IRMacGuyver

DayOneCats

#10 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,123 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostAnathema-, on 19 April 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Story is something that should be developed before anything is written.

Most great writers would disagree.

that said, this has to go on hold for a while. I really want to do it, but recently found out my dad has cancer. Family first, so I just wont have time for a while.

#11 AlmostAutumn

AlmostAutumn
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostAnathema-, on 19 April 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

I find it to be different writing a complete story with a group of people than each person being given a chapter or whatever to work on.  I view a story as a complete entity, a single work of art, and this would be like assigning five different painters to each do ten inches of a painting.  It might make for something interesting at the end but it won't be the same.  It would wind up speaking in five voices with five different messages at best if not just turn out to be a big jumble.

Story is something that should be developed before anything is written.  I find it antithetical to just start writing whatever comes off the top of your head and then proofread it a few times and call it done.

Sorry; I don't want to come off like I'm shitting on the idea but you asked me to explain myself :) .. I'd totally be down for working in a group just not in this method.

You didn't read my idea, which Apoc agreed would be acceptable for those interested; short stories not subjected to continuity from others, or even consideration. Just writing based on the world constructed, which Apoc has graciously offered to draw up a map for as well as offer what I consider a very loose, highly acceptable "sphere" of the general imagery;

midevil fantasy timeline, but if someone else wants to write in the future of that world, or the primitive past, etc etc, they are more than welcome.

As for your thoughts on writing; even if you stand behind such methodical, business-like construction for creativity then, again, you are not limited, as the project itself is open-oriented and is really being offered, or as I'm viewing it at least, as something really just communal and adaptable, a peaceful sidestep from dicking around in GI or fluffing off for the 13th time that day. Don't knock it 'till some examples come out, say!

@apoc81 - Sorry to hear that, man; tough gig.

#12 apoc81

apoc81

Master Race Elite

• 7,123 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

I will stilll be creating the map for everyone. I just wont be able to write until everything is better on my dads end.

#13 Anathema-

Anathema-

It could go either way.

• 45,742 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostAlmostAutumn, on 20 April 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

You didn't read my idea, which Apoc agreed would be acceptable for those interested; short stories not subjected to continuity from others, or even consideration. Just writing based on the world constructed, which Apoc has graciously offered to draw up a map for as well as offer what I consider a very loose, highly acceptable "sphere" of the general imagery;

midevil fantasy timeline, but if someone else wants to write in the future of that world, or the primitive past, etc etc, they are more than welcome.

As for your thoughts on writing; even if you stand behind such methodical, business-like construction for creativity then, again, you are not limited, as the project itself is open-oriented and is really being offered, or as I'm viewing it at least, as something really just communal and adaptable, a peaceful sidestep from dicking around in GI or fluffing off for the 13th time that day. Don't knock it 'till some examples come out, say!
Posted Image

Maybe I'll think about it :)

؟

DayOneCats

#14 Macaroni Penguin

Macaroni Penguin

Looks like we made it.

• 10,186 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hmmm.I haven't written anything in a while

Maybe. I'm sort of anonymous though.
Little bit's of colored leaves and candy corn.
The Night Club,DayoneCats,Jack Rabbits

People say nothing is impossible,
but I do nothing every day.

- Winnie The Pooh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users