BO Report: Endgame expected to end (that's the pun part) opening day around $140 FREAKING MILLION. JUST THE FIRST DAY. UPDATE: Estimates are $350 million opening weekend, $1.2 billion worldwide

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Well Star Wars also had the benefit of no competitive movies for some time after their release. The January dump of movies that studios are hoping to just recruit their production cost on and the limited release “Oscar hopeful” films getting a wider release. 

50 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well Star Wars also had the benefit of no competitive movies for some time after their release. The January dump of movies that studios are hoping to just recruit their production cost on and the limited release “Oscar hopeful” films getting a wider release. 

I don’t think the competing releases claim holds. TFA faced similar competition basically every weekend in comparison to Endgame.

12 hours ago, silentbob said:

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think the competing releases claim holds. TFA faced similar competition basically every weekend in comparison to Endgame.

Yup, The Revenant in particular was doing great weekend to weekend.

Two weekends ago, Force Awakens easily outdid Avengers and it's outgrossed it almost every day since. Don't think it's going to take the North American record.

It does look like it should easily pass Avatar worldwide, however.

The domestic record isn't even close to in the picture anymore. I'm slightly surprised by how fast it's fallen off. Avatar's world wide record will likely fall, but it's going to be closer than I expected after the first week or two. I don't expect it's opening in any more countries than it already has, so it's even possible that Endgame doesn't break Avatar's $2B overseas gross, which underlines just how crazy that record is. It baffled me at the time, and it continues to baffle me just how Titanic and Avatar made so much freaking money.