Weigh More, Pay More, editorial on obesity and airline ticket pricing

Fat

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#71 Bombasador

Bombasador
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

BTW, I'm fat. Have been for a few years. I was once thin, but youth and PT covered a lot of dietary sins. Thanks to Dr. Atkins, I've had spots of thinness in the past 5 years, but always short lived. Travelling a lot has  tempted me to eat a lot of shit. Stress is also a factor, but ultimately it's my doing. I've been seeing a dietician and slowly coming down the mountain.

#72 Kal-El814

Kal-El814

Nuke Handheld

• 12,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostChairslinger, on 15 March 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I have tried to stay out of the fatty debate since I don't really think it's all that important here, but I just can't fathom how people can actually defend the idea of being poor being the reason for people being fat.

I don't think anyone has said that.  There's a difference between pointing out the correlation between poverty and obesity and absolving people of individual responsibility.

I am not exactly B_T or Joe over here, but if we can't play the "take responsibility for your actions" card for something as basic as determining what you ingest, and how actively you live your life.....then there literally is nothing that anyone can said to be in control over.

Likewise.
And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea. But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

#73 brucoe

brucoe

Incognito Legospaceman

• 3,828 posts
  • LocationCowgirl, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

For the most part, I don't think a lot of people even know what responsibility is when it comes to effective weight management. A lot I would predict become overweight without even realizing it, and then at some point kind of give in to it because it gradually happened. I see this ALL THE TIME with young college girls, and they've even named it "The Freshman 15", which is probably more appropriately the Freshman 50 sometimes. I've seen very in shape young people go to balloons in less than a semester. And sometimes, they don't lose hardly any of it for the rest of their college careers.

There's all sorts of condemnation that can be made about this, but for me I think it's pretty simple where it all comes from: The Freedom to Choose. A lot of these people are free for the first time, and they don't have anyone telling them what they have to do and not have to do, so they figure it's not going to hurt to have some ice cream instead of work out. And that starts to add up to the point where they are so out of control that they effectively give up.

I work in a health care environment where there is TONS of information about maintaining good health. Walk down to the cafeteria (where there are all sorts of healthy choices available) and you see the elephants walking around who are your fellow employees. You'll also see some prime examles of people in GREAT physical shape, but you're going to see a whole bunch of really obese people, too. And these are the people who HAVE to do know better. But in the end, they don't care.

You can chalk it up to laziness, bone density, lack of attention, or even HFCS. But they're all excuses that so many people tend to use because simply just doing something about it is a lot harder to them than figuring you'll do it later.

But calling them names doesn't get them off the couch and into the gym. Shaming people rarely works either, as psychology has shown us that shaming an overweight person tends to cut that person off from others to where he or she gorges himself/herself alone as a coping mechanism. I'm sure there are answers to what can solve this problem, but the smart people aren't making those choices. Instead, they're made by rude, mean people who think charging for fat people seats on airplanes will somehow solve things. Or shaming kids in schools will get them to somehow want to work out. Even in the service they used to do one of the stupidest things I've ever seen and that's put fat soldiers into "special" training where they are humiliated by some over-exercising NCO who thinks calling them "fatties" is going to get them to feel good enough about themselves that they'll do something about it. What they discovered INSTEAD was that these problems resulted in a mass amount of soldiers being processed out of the service for being overweight (because they were too humiliated to actually seek out assistance in getting back into real shape), whereas setting up overweight soldiers with nutritionists who actually followed up on progress would have done something, not a weekly weigh-in where they were further humiliated by people who had no positive stake in the outcome.

A lot of the obesity problem can be solved by actually attacking the foundation of the problem, which is self-esteem. Instead, ALMOST ALWAYS we treat the overweight problem as the problem and further ridicule their self-esteem, making it so that we create a self-perpetuating situation that will rarely, if ever, solve itself. And then we point fingers at the person who failed and then blame him/her.

That's why we're not solving the problem. And to prove it, someone will most likely post after this about how it's all the fault of the fat people and the dialogue will continue as it was.
http://www.duanegundrum.com
The only blog that DARES to print TRIES to print the CAN SPELL the truth

#74 BOSS

BOSS

THE GAMING OUTSIDER

• 13,308 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, GA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have tried to stay out of the fatty debate since I don't really think it's all that important here, but I just can't fathom how people can actually defend the idea of being poor being the reason for people being fat.

They are two separate issues.  There is definitely a strong correlation between obesity and poverty, but it's not really relevant to what we're discussing.  Poor people are disproportionately fat than the rest of the population.  Doesn't have much to do with taking plane rides.

#75 TheManFiveGrand

TheManFiveGrand
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostDemut, on 15 March 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Yup ... and that anecdote of yours totally refutes the studies that support the aforementioned claim about poor people being disproportionally fat.

Thank you for seeing the truth, my friend.  You shall be set free.
I was SonyMSGuy on the IGN boards back in the day...

#76 Iron-and-Wine

Iron-and-Wine
  • 9,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

View Postbrucoe, on 15 March 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

A lot of the obesity problem can be solved by actually attacking the foundation of the problem, which is self-esteem. Instead, ALMOST ALWAYS we treat the overweight problem as the problem and further ridicule their self-esteem, making it so that we create a self-perpetuating situation that will rarely, if ever, solve itself. And then we point fingers at the person who failed and then blame him/her.

That's why we're not solving the problem. And to prove it, someone will most likely post after this about how it's all the fault of the fat people and the dialogue will continue as it was.

Please.  We've been coddling these people for years, and we're fatter than ever.  My mother in law's family isn't obese over generations due to low self esteem.  It's because all they eat is shit, they never exercise, and they blame doctors for their health problems.  When my wife and I show up, they say we look sickly, and need to eat more.  They're all type-2 diabetics.

Shame might not work, but taxes will.

We need to heavily tax and punish obesity, and reward health.  The dollar is the only law we'll ever obey, and it'll work for this too.  Now that the feds have asked us all to shoulder more of everyone else's healthcare burden, I see no reason why we can't impose fat taxes.

BTW, resting metabolic rate for a 6-foot, 400lb man is approximately 3300 calories.  That dude has to eat over 3000 calories a day just to stay that weight.  Even if you're only eating poor people food, you have to TRY to be fat.  You eat every cookie in the office, view salads as girly, think egg whites are for fags.

Also, yes, poor are disproportionately fat, but that's because they're disproportionately uneducated.  They can eat all the fatty food they want, but obesity is simple math: calories in, calories out.  If all you can afford is bad food, it's your responsibility to be informed and eat LESS OF IT.

Plus, working out is CHEAP.  It's FREE.  You can run for FREE.  You can lift weights at home for almost nothing.  You can use resistance bands for even less.  I haven't been to a gym in almost two years, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

There is absolutely no excuse for obesity.  Being out of shape?  Sure, whatever.  People have kids, jobs.

There is no excuse for alcoholism, there is none for obesity.

#77 Ominous

Ominous

Master Baiter

• 22,936 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostDemut, on 15 March 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Yup ... and that anecdote of yours totally refutes the studies that support the aforementioned claim about poor people being disproportionally fat.

Tough love and education is what they need.
They are fat because they are uneducated idiots.
They are poor because they are uneducated idiots.
They are not fat because they are poor, and they are not poor because they are fat.

And none of this has anything to do with getting your ass on a jet to go some place.

Twitch Game Streaming
PC: i7 5960X @ 4.3 GHZ // 16GB DDR4 //  2x 4GB 980 GTX
HTPC: i7 2600k @ 4.2GHZ // 8GB DDR3 // 2GB 680 GTX  

#78 Vitalsign

Vitalsign

No college. No need

• 6,460 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm overweight myself and I fully believe fat people should be shamed. Being fat is not attractive or healthy.

Calories in and calories out is only part of the puzzle. The entire science of dietary health is littered with bad science. There are a lot of examples of obese cultures who ate few calories. Calories in and calories out also assumes there is a see saw of thermodynamic balance that must be achieved. That doesn't account for habits that increase the desire to eat (such as excessive carbs/sugar)

#79 TheManFiveGrand

TheManFiveGrand
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostIron-and-Wine, on 15 March 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Even if you're only eating poor people food, you have to TRY to be fat.

Bingo.

Fuck fat people.
I was SonyMSGuy on the IGN boards back in the day...

#80 ohioguy24

ohioguy24

The Tuna Melt King

• 41,783 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDemut, on 15 March 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Sounds reasonable to a degree. But would children get some serious discounts then?

Demut, that makes sense to me. I mean, if they're gonna charge fat people more, then let's let the "lighter" crowd pay less, if they're basing it on weight...
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” - John 3:16

#81 Dodger

Dodger

D1Pshit

• 24,944 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

What the fuck does it even matter if it's harder for poor people to lose weight when poor people mostly don't fucking fly? Why do we have this liberal fairness crusade for airline prices when working at Mcdonalds doesn't require getting on a plane? The only time BOSS' janitor is getting on a plane is if she nominates herself for an award that includes a trip to Hawaii. Any job that requires you getting on a plane for regular business trips doesn't pay minimum wage. Plane flights are something poor people can't afford to begin with, so what the fuck does it matter if they have to pay an extra $20 the one time in their lives they manage to get on a plane?

What they should do is charge you by total weight you are bringing on the plane, including luggage. If it costs them more to fly 400 pounds over 350 why shouldn't you pay the difference? You think the physics suddenly change just because you are 7 feet tall? It stops being discrimination when we do it to everybody btw.
PC specs: i7 4790k, Gigabyte R9 290, Asus Z97A LGA1150 Motherboard, 8gig  G. Skill sniper series DDR3 2133 (4x2) RAM, Samsung EVO 840 500gig SSD, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, Seasonic 750W 80+ gold PSU, Corsair 400R case

Posted Image

#82 TwinIon

TwinIon

Technologist Extraordinaire

• 8,779 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

There is no way this actually goes into effect.  Maybe that crazy Ryan Air in europe, but there is no way it happens here in the US.  It would just be too much effort, slow everybody down, and push people to airlines that didn't do this.

Really, the only situation that I think is reasonable is if you are so large one seat isn't enough.  In those cases, mandating that the passenger pay for an extra seat is necessary.
Techie/Gamer/Geek Extraordinaire
XBL:Collateral Damg | PSN:CollateralDmg | Steam: colateral_dmg | Origin: twinion
Letterboxd: TwinIon

#83 Kal-El814

Kal-El814

Nuke Handheld

• 12,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostIron-and-Wine, on 15 March 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Please.  We've been coddling these people for years, and we're fatter than ever.  My mother in law's family isn't obese over generations due to low self esteem.  It's because all they eat is shit, they never exercise, and they blame doctors for their health problems.  When my wife and I show up, they say we look sickly, and need to eat more.  They're all type-2 diabetics.

Shame might not work, but taxes will.

We need to heavily tax and punish obesity, and reward health.  The dollar is the only law we'll ever obey, and it'll work for this too.  Now that the feds have asked us all to shoulder more of everyone else's healthcare burden, I see no reason why we can't impose fat taxes.

BTW, resting metabolic rate for a 6-foot, 400lb man is approximately 3300 calories.  That dude has to eat over 3000 calories a day just to stay that weight.  Even if you're only eating poor people food, you have to TRY to be fat.  You eat every cookie in the office, view salads as girly, think egg whites are for fags.

Also, yes, poor are disproportionately fat, but that's because they're disproportionately uneducated.  They can eat all the fatty food they want, but obesity is simple math: calories in, calories out.  If all you can afford is bad food, it's your responsibility to be informed and eat LESS OF IT.

Plus, working out is CHEAP.  It's FREE.  You can run for FREE.  You can lift weights at home for almost nothing.  You can use resistance bands for even less.  I haven't been to a gym in almost two years, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

There is absolutely no excuse for obesity.  Being out of shape?  Sure, whatever.  People have kids, jobs.

There is no excuse for alcoholism, there is none for obesity.

First of all, OLO at people trying to be fat.  These allegedly undisciplined, fat slobs are lazy in every way... except food intake where they're all iron-willed.  Logic!

Secondly, and for the umpteenth time, it is ridiculous to go harp on individual choice (which is absolutely important and should be neither dismissed nor glossed over) while ignoring the cultural choices we've made and financed through subsidies that flood the market with cheap, nutrition-free calories.

Thirdly, you're ignoring the fact that there is TONS of bullshit, garbage information our there that deliberately prevents people from making decent decisions.  There is plenty of "health" food that is bad for you, tons of unsubstantiated claims about fat burners or targeted weight loss.  Fad diets, gizmos and workout plans are legion.  Plenty of stuff is labeled in such a way as to suggest that something isn't bad for you, until you read the label twice and figure out that the serving sizes in plenty of food packaging is bullshit.

Edit - and OLO at the whole, "oh, it's reasonable to be out of shape, I mean life happens amirite? But the line between that and being fat is so clear cut that it's one is totally understandable and the other is completely inexcusable!"  Classic.
And one day we will die and our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea. But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

#84 gamer.tv

gamer.tv

This is your life...

• 19,456 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostDemut, on 15 March 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

I’m not sure if gamer.tv was joking or not but let’s assume he wasn’t. If the difference would really be below $5 dollars a ticket then should they really bother with this whole idea?

My overall guess was a stab in the dark but taking a Boeing 747;

If they fly 3 times a day with 500 people on board, 365 days a year that's 547500 people flown a year.  Take the statistic that 36% of Americans are obese, then of that share 361350 should pay more. Divide the excess fuel charge of a million a year and the "fat tax" on flying would be $2.77 to make up the million on that one plane. It doesn't really sound worth it.

Also in answer to a few things in this thread, I'm overweight but active (I walk about 20 miles a week, run 3 times a week for 45 minutes and play rugby). I get let down by what I eat, but eating healthily at the moment bankrupts me, I tried a week of living on eggs, protein shakes, lean meat, vegetables, fish, green tea etc but at uni, on £70 a week I've got to spend money on more things than just food which makes keeping a decent diet pretty hard.

On the flip side, when I go home for the summer I'll lose about 20lbs and look fabulous again.

...and it's ending one minute at a time.

#85 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostKal-El814, on 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Came in to the thread to read the umpteenth rant about the morality of obesity in America that ignores the fact that healthy foods are becoming more and more expensive while income distribution becomes worse and worse.  Only in nations with American-style diets do people with the least money carry the most weight, surely this is solely about individual food choice and not what foods that we, collectively, have already chosen to make the least expensive.

I leave satisfied.

But I digress.  To the topic at hand air travel prices don't make already, might as well nickel and dime people some more.

That's choice, and laziness. "Oh, I'm too tired to do anything after working my dead end job... let's go to McDonalds." Never mind the fact that you can still order healthily at McDonalds, or control your portions, or cook healthy meals that take but twenty minutes of your life.

Or how about the fact that you can fill up an entire shopping cart at Trader Joe's for a whole hell of a lot less than you can at a Walmart.

It all comes down to the basics of humanity--will power. Some people have it, some people don't. It's not a conspiracy to make all the poor people fat.

#86 BOSS

BOSS

THE GAMING OUTSIDER

• 13,308 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostEmblazon, on 15 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Or how about the fact that you can fill up an entire shopping cart at Trader Joe's for a whole hell of a lot less than you can at a Walmart.

Lol wut?

#87 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostBOSS, on 15 March 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Lol wut?

Have you not ever been to a Trader Joe's? The foods there are a hell of a lot healthier and a good amount cheaper than any grocery store, including Walmart.

#88 Kal-El814

Kal-El814

Nuke Handheld

• 12,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostEmblazon, on 15 March 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Have you not ever been to a Trader Joe's? The foods there are a hell of a lot healthier and a good amount cheaper than any grocery store, including Walmart.

I shop at TJ's fairly often, as well as conventional grocery stores.  Their food prices are pretty inconsistent, as is the healthiness of a lot of what they sell.  In fact, i would say that the percentage of processed/non processed food is better at a conventional grocery store than it is at TJs.

But if you're looking at pre-prepared or pre-packaged stuff, TJ's gets expensive pretty fucking fast.

#89 BOSS

BOSS

THE GAMING OUTSIDER

• 13,308 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would say that it's not true that you can fill up a shopping cart for a hell of a lot cheaper at Trader Joe's than at Wal-Mart.

I would also say that Trader Joe's are conveniently placed in neighborhoods with families that can afford to shop there in the first place.

Not that this has anything to do with airline tickets.

#90 CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• 12,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Why would anyone mention Trader Joe's when talking about food poor people need to buy?

That's simply lunacy.
And the caravan thunders onward...

#91 Dodger

Dodger

D1Pshit

• 24,944 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah I don't remember any Trader Joe's in Watts.
PC specs: i7 4790k, Gigabyte R9 290, Asus Z97A LGA1150 Motherboard, 8gig  G. Skill sniper series DDR3 2133 (4x2) RAM, Samsung EVO 840 500gig SSD, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Hyper 212 EVO cooler, Seasonic 750W 80+ gold PSU, Corsair 400R case

Posted Image

#92 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostCayceG, on 15 March 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Why would anyone mention Trader Joe's when talking about food poor people need to buy?

That's simply lunacy.

Yes, because poor people are forced to shop at Aldi, and ride unicycles, because they can't afford bicycles, let alone cars. <insert crazy eyes>

Fuck it, let's just give the poor, lazy people all our money so they can continue overpopulating the planet.

Also, half of this thread has nothing to do with airline tickets.

#93 Ominous

Ominous

Master Baiter

• 22,936 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Crock pot.
Extra lean ground turkey or chicken breast
potatoes
green beans
corn
carrots
some type low sodium broth
Cheap stew poo people can make for their baybay kids for next to nothing.

And we all know Shaquandzalilila aint getting her 400 pound ass and her 12 kids on no motherfucking plane!

Twitch Game Streaming

#94 Emblazon

Emblazon
  • 8,193 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostDodger, on 15 March 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Yeah I don't remember any Trader Joe's in Watts.

So steal a car and drive to Long Beach.

Good lord, this thread has more excuses than the GOP.

#95 CayceG

CayceG

The Baron

• 12,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostEmblazon, on 15 March 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yes, because poor people are forced to shop at Aldi, and ride unicycles, because they can't afford bicycles, let alone cars. <insert crazy eyes>

Fuck it, let's just give the poor, lazy people all our money so they can continue overpopulating the planet.

"My argument is based on what I think in my brain, and not facts! I'll respond to criticism with extreme hyperbole!"

But really, we get your point. You can eat healthy and smart just about anywhere. It's a lifestyle choice--do you eat like shit, not exercise, and become fat, or do you take time to prepare your meals or order meals intelligently and NOT be fat?

Trader Joe's is just a piss poor example.

Yeah. That's what we do around here.
And the caravan thunders onward...

#96 gamer.tv

gamer.tv

This is your life...

• 19,456 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

I think you're a bit too angry at poor people.

#97 Air_Delivery

Air_Delivery
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostEveryman, on 15 March 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

There are a lot of pathetic excuses in this thread, but one of the more novel excuses presented here touches upon "bone size."

Bone weight only accounts for 15% of total body weight, and while that weight is significant, if the airline surcharge threshold is 100 kilos (220 lbs.), then the bone weight of a 220 lb individual who would be forced to pay the surcharge is 30 lbs. By comparison, we may note that the bone weight of someone who only weighs 75 kilograms (165 lbs.) is 24.75 lbs. So the so-called "big-boned" individual only has about 5.25 more lbs more of bone weight than the standard passenger, yet also possesses 55 more total pounds of body weight. 5.25 divided by 55 is significant, but the real difference between the standard passenger and the "big-boned" passenger has more to do with fat and muscle than bone.

By analogy, what some people in this thread have done RE: the big-bone excuse is similar to laying the principal blame for our deficit-spending problems on the NASA budget. The NASA budget as a percentage of the total budget is a far smaller percentage than defense or healthcare spending; likewise, bone weight is a far smaller percentage of total human body weight than muscle and fat. I understand that you would have us believe that your bringing up bone weight is just "one factor" as NASA's budget is just one factor, but what you're doing obfuscates the heart of matter and instead quibbles over the relatively insignificant.

Focusing on muscle: if you're not a professional athlete, you have absolutely no reason to have the muscle mass that an athlete has. One of the many symptoms of a sick culture in this country is this broad shift towards eating more dairy and high-fat protein at all ages. A lot of you have mentioned the excuse that "we should not punish people for their natural body weight" --- there's no such thing as natural body weight or size. Kids who eat more dairy, who stuff their faces at home and at school with dairy and high-fat protein, end up with bigger bones, bigger waist sizes, and bigger egos. They think their size is a marker of their physical superiority, but it's not: it's a marker of their selfishness. The fact that obesity has become commonplace encourages more selfishness and more eating.

Selfishness. That's why concerns about the civil rights of "fat people" are going to fall on deaf years. Who cares about the alleged civil rights of selfish fat fucks who make excuses for themselves? Fuck 'em.

And the idea that only unhealthy food is cheap (patently false) is born from that sick, discredited liberal behavior of mind that says the bad decisions people make are principally influenced by negative environments. Bullshit. People are responsible for their own choices, and no group in America aside from illegal immigrants can claim that they are "forced" to eat anything.

Everybody has a choice in this country, and everybody, including private airlines, has the right to punish people for making stupid choices. This is about choice, not fatalistic biology or rights.

I am 6'0" large framed individual and weight 185 lbs. I will never be as light as a 5'0" small framed woman without dying from starvation. That is a simple fact of life. I have no idea what the fuck you are ranting about.

You can see what frame size you are by rapping your index finger and thumb around the smallest part of you wrist. If it doesn't touch you are large framed. If they just touch at the tips you are medium frames. If they overlap you are small framed.

http://www.idealbody.../framesizes.htm
Formally known as Nukeman33

#98 BOSS

BOSS

THE GAMING OUTSIDER

• 13,308 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostEmblazon, on 15 March 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

So steal a car and drive to Long Beach.

Good lord, this thread has more excuses than the GOP.

No, we're just pointing out that saying poor people should shop at Trader Joe's because it's cheaper than Wal-Mart is absurd.

#99 Iron-and-Wine

Iron-and-Wine
  • 9,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Superman, let me get this straight:

It's society's, not an individual's fault, that one single person is stupid enough to eat food that is terrible, and to buy into fad diets, and not exercise?  I'm struggling to figure out this bullshit about "shared cultural choices."  What?  I eat what I want to eat.  If I'm poor, I eat canned versions of those things.  Nothing wrong with canned beans, soups, and vegetables.  I seriously have no clue what you're talking about.

Information on how to actually be healthy is EVERYWHERE.  It's FREE.  These poor people all walk around with Boost Mobile pay-go phones, I think they can Google P90X or "healthy diet."

Also, you can't see a distinction between a guy who doesn't work out, and has a little paunch, weighs 190 and is 6'0", and someone who is morbidly obese, doesn't work out, and eats nothing but bacon, cheese, grits, pork skins, chips, ice cream, and candy?

This is like sex.  Sex is yours alone.  Sexual choices you make are YOURS, and you, if you're an adult, should take all the heat if you make mistakes......unless you get raped.

No one is raping your mouth with chimichangas.

#100 Ominous

Ominous

Master Baiter

• 22,936 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostAir_Delivery, on 15 March 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

You can see what frame size you are by rapping your index finger around the smallest part of you wrist. If it doesn't touch you are large framed. If they just touch at the tips you are medium frames. If they overlap you are small framed.

http://www.idealbody.../framesizes.htm

Large frame ftw!

Twitch Game Streaming

#101 gamer.tv

gamer.tv

This is your life...

• 19,456 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostOminous, on 15 March 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Large frame ftw!

Ditto, just checked my collar bone and it's an inch thick. Big bones totally exist.

#102 SiskoKid

SiskoKid
  • Newly Registered
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I think it should stop at if you're wide enough for two seats, you pay for two seats.  I don't think weighing each individual at the airport makes much sense.  As stated earlier, people weigh more or less depending on more factors than just eating.  Someone brough up Shaq for example.  If you shop at the Big and Tall store and you're of the tall variety, I don't think you should be punished for that.  Just as being short shouldn't necessarily be rewarded.  

No matter where you buy things, we're always subsidizing each other.  You think when you buy an iPad or Vita or 3DS, the cost doesn't contain some aspect to covering losses for assholes who do nothing but return the product 3 times over after they bought it because the screen temperature wasn't what they expected?

Yes, personal responsibility is very important, but it's 100% impossible to maintain.  Sometimes we do things where others have to pick up the slack, it's just inevitable and human nature.  

So, yes, if you take up too much space, you pay for the seats.  If you're simply going by weight though I don't think that's fair.

(For the record, I am not obese and wouldn't have to pay more for my plane ticket no matter how you slice this debate)
"Them Greeks...!" a 3D animated short film you can participate in:

TWITTER (@themgreeks)
FACEBOOK

Post your interest on our social media pages if you'd like to help the production (texture artist, 3D modeler, animator, etc.)

#103 Ominous

Ominous

Master Baiter

• 22,936 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Life has never been about being fair.

Twitch Game Streaming

#104 Air_Delivery

Air_Delivery
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

They should just base ticket prices on the average weight of a person not counting fatasses that take up 2 seats.
Formally known as Nukeman33

#105 SiskoKid

SiskoKid
  • Newly Registered
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostOminous, on 15 March 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Life has never been about being fair.

I'm not talking about life in general.  I'm talking about ticket prices based on weight.  

I can see how you'd confuse the two (I actually don't, but [shrugs])
"Them Greeks...!" a 3D animated short film you can participate in:

TWITTER (@themgreeks)
FACEBOOK

Post your interest on our social media pages if you'd like to help the production (texture artist, 3D modeler, animator, etc.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users