• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Pikachu

"Why I Pirate" - An Open Letter to Content Creators (Very, very, very long read inside)

491 posts in this topic

That was a whole lotta words to say "I want the fruits of other people's labor and I don't want to pay for it."

Had you read it you should know that this is not the essence of this text ... now what can we conclude from that :thinking: ?

Had you read it you should know that this is not the essence of this text ... now what can we conclude from that :thinking: ?

You can conclude that I don't waste my time reading the self serving ramblings of over entitled co-bags.

You'd be surprised. When I was shopping for a car, I was debating between an Acura TSX and an Infiniti. Some of the "last year" models costed more or within $2000 range than the "this years" models. It would have been cheaper to get a new Acura if I didn't go for Infiniti instead. Acura's hold their value pretty well.

*quotes to reflect I was car shopping 2 years ago.

The MSRP for my 11' Fusion is 21K. I paid $13K (the other $1K was for the extended warranty) used. Dealerships tend to rip off customers with this sort of thing. Dealer Auctions are the way to go IMO.

You can conclude that I don't waste my time reading the self serving ramblings of over entitled co-bags.

Or that you judge books by their cover :kiss:

You can also conclude that even if the douche bag sounds like one, the implications of the message is a lot more important. Frankly, it's why I didn't read most of this thread when I posted my own thoughts. I don't like getting into dragged-on debates.

Well when the author is a pirate....

And that alone is reason enough to assume that one can predict the essence of his texts on the subject?

And that alone is reason enough to assume that one can predict the essence of his texts on the subject?

It's enough to assume that they're going to justify their illicit actions and that 90% of what they say can be ignored. He did not need to spend 90% of his argument by justifying his actions and acting like a pretentious douche.

Where did he justify his actions? He explicitly mentioned that is not what he is doing. You’ve even been told that before by Xbob42. Were his efforts wasted on you?

I'm too late in this thread to get noticed, but I think the guy does bring up some valid points. You can't "justify" piracy, but it is ridiculous that these entertainment and media companies still live in the early 1990s. In some cases they literally don't want your money. For example:

I don't have HBO or even cable, but I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. Well, I look for it the day after it airs on iTunes and various other services, but no dice. If I like the show I'm going to buy every episode on iTunes, and HBO would break even and possibly even earn money over its subscription model (definitely if I like more than one of their shows). If I like it a fuck ton, I'm going to buy the blu-ray too. I was literally trying to put money in HBO's hands but they kept saying "Fuck you, put it in our ass." Well fuck them. I ended up pirating a couple episodes of Game of Thrones, I loved it, and now I own the blu-ray of the first season.

I'm not justifying my piracy, and what I did was wrong, but I went out of my way as a consumer looking for a legal way too watch their show. Why can't they reach out to me a little when I was more than trying to meet them halfway? There is no reason not to put up a digital copy somewhere on the net the very next day. The guy in the OP takes that one step too far and expects these companies to put stuff up on file sharing sites. Yeah right. But is it that ridiculous to expect it on a service like iTunes or Hulu where you could make money?

Where did he justify his actions? He explicitly mentioned that is not what he is doing. You’ve even been told that before by Xbob42. Were his efforts wasted on you?

No.. He specifically stated that he is not debating why he pirates. He used all of the typical pirate justifications, the same sort of justifications you and many other pirates I've spoken with over the years have used.

Convenience

Price

DRM

Store Exclusivity

Third Party Programs

You can't see that because you share all of the same views. What I also find funny is that he uses the "I don't want to gamble anymore with useless previews and demo's" and then he goes on to say "If you just gave me one thing for free and I like it, I'd buy the next thing you make without question." That is beyond gambling, that is just wanton recklessness as their next product could be absolute balls and he'd buy it anyway. Us fair paying customers dislike all of the same things that pirates do, but we're not going to be spiteful and commit illegal acts because we think we're being treated unfairly. Piracy gets you no further than just taking the shit dealt to you in regards to industry change. People need to vote with their wallets and stop buying all together. Then they need to voice why they stopped buying that companies product in the first place. That's how you get change, by really denying them your buying dollar. By pirating or by buying you're just giving them an excuse to continue their practices.

That's how you get change, by really denying them your buying dollar.

But that’s what he is doing :confused: If people stopped buying it (which is what he did) and not download it instead how would this be different? Publishers could still blame it on illegal downloads.

The guy in the OP takes that one step too far and expects these companies to put stuff up on file sharing sites. Yeah right.

It’s far-fetched, sure, but the simple reality is that it will get on these sites not matter what. So why not take advantage of this so that you at least profit from the advertisement revenue (which is how these websites make hundreds of millions)? I think it sounds so crazy at first because it looks like a surrender, a capitulation, a sacrifice of the traditional pay-to-receive business model.

However, there are artists (such as musicians, cartoonists and indie game developers) who make a living that way. Offering their product for free and asking for donations or the purchase of merchandise. But I guess an economy, even if just a branch of the economy, that is based on giving rather than uncompromising trade is probably too alien for most people who grew up under throatcutting, backstabbing predatory capitalism :/

But that’s what he is doing :confused: If people stopped buying it (which is what he did) and not download it instead how would this be different? Publishers could still blame it on illegal downloads.

What he is doing is illegal and gives companies an excuse to do whatever they want. Stop enough buying and stealing all together and then the companies will be like "Oh shit! What's going on here? We're really losing money!". So instead of figuring out new ways to gouge us, they'll figure out new ways to entice us. But by trying to voice your demands and then turning around to steal, you've defeated yourself and your entire pro consumer argument.

It’s far-fetched, sure, but the simple reality is that it will get on these sites not matter what. So why not take advantage of this so that you at least profit from the advertisement revenue (which is how these websites make hundreds of millions)? I think it sounds so crazy at first because it looks like a surrender, a capitulation, a sacrifice of the traditional pay-to-receive business model.

However, there are artists (such as musicians, cartoonists and indie game developers) who make a living that way. Offering their product for free and asking for donations or the purchase of merchandise. But I guess an economy, even if just a branch of the economy, that is based on giving rather than uncompromising trade is probably too alien for most people who grew up under throatcutting, backstabbing predatory capitalism :/

What he is doing is illegal and gives companies an excuse to do whatever they want. Stop enough buying and stealing all together and then the companies will be like "Oh shit! What's going on here? We're really losing money!". So instead of figuring out new ways to gouge us, they'll figure out new ways to entice us. But by trying to voice your demands and then turning around to steal, you've defeated yourself and your entire pro consumer argument.

So you’re saying that right now the publishers do not realize that it’s their shitty practices (and not filesharing) that loses them the most money?

So you’re saying that right now the publishers do not realize that it’s their shitty practices (and not filesharing) that loses them the most money?

Right now publishers realize that people are sheep and will blow money without thinking and will continue to blow money despite any complaints they may have as proven by EA, Activision, UBI amongst others.

Considering that there has been year over year growth in the industry, piracy isn't truly hurting them.

I read enough of it to figure out he's a whiney entitled doucebag.

So much this.

Who gives him the right to price music and games? I will gladly spend a dollar on a song, just because he doesn't think it's worth it doesn't make it true. 25 cents a song as the standard price is really unfair. His opinion is not any more valid than my own. Also telling game developers "DON'T SPEND SO MUCH MONEY ON MAKING YOUR GAMES!!"

What the fuck does this imbecile want? All games to be flash-based angry birds style simplistic shit? Making games like UNCHARTED 3 costs millions of dollars for a reason! It takes nearly 100 (or more) people working for 2 straight years to create the product! If it could be made cheaper, obviously they'd go that route. This guy is beyond stupid.

I'd love to see that guy talk about Witcher 2. I imagine it'd go something like this..

"I don't spend money on games with bullshit DRM! I'm going to pirate it!"

Well, it's available DRM-free on GOG and you'll be directly supporting the developer.

"...Games are too expensive!"

Xbob gets laughed out of this thread, only for Demut to take his place. No one ever said game companies shouldn't try to evolve to meet cosumer needs. But to justify anything by breaking the law and out-right stealing... lol. That's the most pathetic thing I've ever heard of. Hey man, you can continue to pirate shit and justify it. But just like the junkie who gets gooned out on crack and tries to justify having an 8 ball on him when he gets pulled over for a broken taillight... it's all the same.

It's illegal.

If you can live with that and think that's the mature thing to do, then cool. Continue to pirate all you want. You'll find as you get older though, that people quickly lose respect for you... because at the end of the day, you're choices in life (NOTE: I'm not refering to simple choices made on a message board) are what defines you.

LOL at self-entitled pricks that don't know two shits about business and economics telling companies what to do to maximize profits (just lower prices!!!!) from their high horses.

They don't want to cater to pirates, because pirates are entitled little shits that are not willing to pay half as much as actual costumers. Writing a diatribe about how companies should appeal to them "because" is preposterous.

ITT: A whole bunch of people who say they get it, don't really get it just because they like feeling morally superior. Whether you think it's wrong is irrelevant. The reality is EVERYTHING is available on the internet without all the bullshit restrictions companies put on their products for free. This is what content creators are competing with, whether you like it or not or support this guys actions or not. All these restrictions do is push away actual paying customers. Also, the guy has stated that he is willing to pay for these products if they meet his pricing expectations.

Content creators have to compete with not only free, but hassle free. Now whether or not it makes financial sense to change is another question but eventually they will be forced to lower prices and restrictions in order to compete.

ITT: A whole bunch of people who say they get it, don't really get it just because they like feeling morally superior. Whether you think it's wrong is irrelevant. The reality is EVERYTHING is available on the internet without all the bullshit restrictions companies put on their products for free. This is what content creators are competing with, whether you like it or not or support this guys actions or not. All these restrictions do is push away actual paying customers. Also, the guy has stated that he is willing to pay for these products if they meet his pricing expectations.

Content creators have to compete with not only free, but hassle free. Now whether or not it makes financial sense to change is another question but eventually they will be forced to lower prices and restrictions in order to compete.

It's a really, really dumb point, though.

If prices are lower, more people will buy. If it's easier to access, more people will buy.

You don't say!

Everything is out there for free if I have a gun.

The Internet is just te wild west right now.

Pirate assholes are the people that are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

I'd have NO PROBLEM with banning people from the Internet for repeated acts of piracy.

Because that would totally work. Maybe you should re-think how you totally support everything you do through legal purchases because you are the one getting inconvenienced, not the pirates.

Because that would totally work. Maybe you should re-think how you totally support everything you do through legal purchases because you are the one getting inconvenienced, not the pirates.

If you constantly break the rules of the road you lose your drivers license.

What do I "go through"?

OH NO FBI WARNING ON THIS MOVIE!! FUCK THAT I'M PIRATING IT FROM NOW ON!

He has an important point to make, too bad he couldn't argue it worth a damn. I want my 10 minutes back. Some of the shit this guy argued made my head hurt, Jesus.

He has an important point to make, too bad he couldn't argue it worth a damn. I want my 10 minutes back. Some of the shit this guy argued made my head hurt, Jesus.

My guess... he's probably pushing 350, covered in cheetos, and has binary written all over his wall.

I wonder if this guy is willing to work for free for the first couple of months at a new job so his employer can decide if he likes him or not. I am sure he would be the first to start bitching about being paid.

My open letter to content creators as to why I pirate:

So I can use your product without having to purchase it.