• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Pikachu

"Why I Pirate" - An Open Letter to Content Creators (Very, very, very long read inside)

491 posts in this topic

Have you ever heard of “scratches” and the like :thinking: ?

Have you ever heard of disc repair? Or better yet, STEAM. You know, where many, many sales have had the game available or less than the cost to repair your old ass disc? The fact of the matter is while the physical disc degrades, the data doesn't, it remains the same. The medium of which it was stored has degraded, not the information itself.

Have you ever heard of “scratches” and the like :thinking: ?

Game still works right? The end product is still the same. Not to mention on systems like PS3 where you can install full games you no longer have the scratched disk issue.

It might stutter and skip.

Have you ever heard of disc repair?

Have you heard of car repair?

You people are missing the point though. Just exchange cars for another product that is mainly about “intellectual property” then. Like books. Or music.

Used car sales don't hurt new car sales. You buy a used car you buy the previous owners problems. Not to mention the car has deteriorated A LOT over time. Rust, general wear and tear such as brakes. The more use the car gets the more the price and overall usefulness will degrade.

A game either works or it doesn't. If I buy a used game it will play EXACTLY like the new game.

My car is 10 years old. I just had to dump $1000 into it for some wear and tear items. Half-Life is 13 years old. It still plays exactly like it did at launch and I haven't had to toss a dime into making it work properly as it aged. The only reason HL reduced in price is because of the drop in demand for a game that has been on sale for 13 years.

I could go buy a 2-month old car that's used just like a two-month old game. And I bet neither of them have much wear at all. Just playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

I can honestly say I have NEVER pirated a video game. Never once. I did once buy a serial key from a kind-of-shady Russian keyseller a few years back; but that's only because they would take PayPal and no other store would.

I *want* to support developers. Believe it or not, I'm a great customer. I buy all the niche titles - new - when I can. I buy games like Rayman Origins and Shadows of the Damned for my friends - new - just so these smaller titles can get more exposure. I bought The Witcher 2 at least SIX TIMES in the last year, because I want to support a developer that doesn't push DRM and treats its customers well with amazing content updates... for free! I've introduced many people/friends/family to Steam, just like a friend introduced it to me so many years back. I've rented maybe... five games... in the last five years? I'd say less than 10% of the games I buy are used; because again, I want to support the devs when it's feasible.

ALL THAT SAID... I agree with the OP in that Developer's and Publishers need to stop crying like a bunch of babies. Pirates will ALWAYS pirate. They won't ever stop. Regardless of price, pressure, advertisements, threats, etc. It's just what they do. And with all of that, with all of those terrible pirates... these publishers will continue to turn a very hearty profit. And many publishers will be just as greedy as ever; giving us crappy Day One DLC, firing employees, etc.

And at the end of the day; every.single.time I have a DLC code that doesn't work (Catwoman), an online pass that won't authenticate (Unit 13), DRM that's super intrusive (Ubisoft), or a serial that doesn't work (countless); I get more and more frustrated. I'd rather the pirates go free than me have to deal with bogus shit like that as a paying customer.

That means it doesn't work.

Look what we just did. It either works or it doesn't. You proved my point.

2-cents here.

Person who wrote the letter is basically stating that these business just don't give any fucks to appease the consumer and only care for profits. The more you restrict, the more unhappy the consumer will be. This isn't about justification about piracy, nor why he supports piracy; it's about how the media industry just fucking fails with lies and deceit in trying to appease consumers.

I don't agree with some of his whining in terms of pricing, but in this state of today's economy.. people are going to be more aware of how things should be priced, and I'm not talking about those pathetic sheep buying $300 headphones from an insignificant musician (and frankly, they can just die in a fire).

Have you heard of car repair?

You people are missing the point though. Just exchange cars for another product that is mainly about “intellectual property” then. Like books. Or music.

Nobody is missing the point. When your car goes off the lot it loses up to 40% of its value. It further depreciates as time goes on. Repair the car and now you're not using original manufacturer parts and the value drops further and further till it gets to a point where it's worthless. When you repair a disc, it's still the original disc and it's still the original data. Nothing has changed other than you've stopped the device used to read the disc from skipping or misreading.

You're using straw man arguments and you know it. It's all pirates ever have. Straw man.

That means it doesn't work.

Look what we just did. It either works or it doesn't. You proved my point.

Nope, it does work, just not without problems. If your car stutters it also works (i.e. drives) but that doesn’t mean that it works perfectly.

I could go buy a 2-month old car that's used just like a two-month old game. And I bet neither of them have much wear at all. Just playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

The car would still have wear and useful life taken form it. The game still works and gives the exact same experience.

2-cents here.

Person who wrote the letter is basically stating that these business just don't give any fucks to appease the consumer and only care for profits. The more you restrict, the more unhappy the consumer will be. This isn't about justification about piracy, nor why he supports piracy; it's about how the media industry just fucking fails with lies and deceit in trying to appease consumers.

I don't agree with some of his whining in terms of pricing, but in this state of today's economy.. people are going to be more aware of how things should be priced, and I'm not talking about those pathetic sheep buying $300 headphones from an insignificant musician (and frankly, they can just die in a fire).

A lot of people here are in agreement that the entertainment industry as a whole needs to change its practices in order to better handle today's consumers. While the underlying point of the letter is true, he does come off as a pretentious, agrandizing douche twat who will still pirate after the fact.

2-cents here.

I agree with this on so many levels. All the DRM is also getting so bad, pirated media look more appealing.

DRM probably takes away just as many sales as piracy.

Yo dawg.

... :confused:

Nobody is missing the point. When your car goes off the lot it loses up to 40% of its value. It further depreciates as time goes on.

The same goes for video games. Or do you think someone will pay for a used disc as much as they would for a new one?

When you repair a disc, it's still the original disc and it's still the original data. Nothing has changed other than you've stopped the device used to read the disc from skipping or misreading.

So how is this different from repairing a car? Nothing has changed other than you’ve stopped the car from stuttering or otherwise malfunctioning. And yet, in both cases, if you were to tell the next buyer that your car / game did not work at one point and you had to fix it that will lower the price.

The car would still have wear and useful life taken form it. The game still works and gives the exact same experience.

Same goes for the game. Discs don’t hold forever. Scratches won’t prolong its life, you know? Also, the game does not give the same experience unless errors due to the skips and what not don’t count. In that case a car that stutters also gives you the exact same experience as a new one, right?

Nope, it does work, just not without problems. If your car stutters it also works (i.e. drives) but that doesn’t mean that it works perfectly.

That means the scratches were too deep. Scratching that deep is usually the fault of the owner. Just saying.

A lot of people here are in agreement that the entertainment industry as a whole needs to change its practices in order to better handle today's consumers. While the underlying point of the letter is true, he does come off as a pretentious, agrandizing douche twat who will still pirate after the fact.

Which is why I can't agree with him just because of his self-righteousness. I'm guilty with my own reasons, but there's still time to become reformed (point in case with my PSP and my Vita)

Yeah, I agree with your post; especially with the bolded. The gaming industry treats its consumers like 1) we're all thieves, and 2) we're all idiots. Consumers are never woo'd. We're never pulled in, wine'd and dine'd. Instead, these publishers rape us with overpriced games (in some cases), Day One DLC, Restrictive DRM, delays on PC, online authentication requirements, a system where forum posts can ban you from games, etc, etc. And they don't care. Why...?

MonopolyMan.jpg

You're still gonna buy it!

... :confused:

The same goes for video games. Or do you think someone will pay for a used disc as much as they would for a new one?

So how is this different from repairing a car? Nothing has changed other than you’ve stopped the car from stuttering or otherwise malfunctioning. And yet, in both cases, if you were to tell the next buyer that your car / game did not work at one point and you had to fix it that will lower the price.

GameStop seems to think that people will pay as much for a used copy as a new one.

Yeah, I agree with your post; especially with the bolded. The gaming industry treats its consumers like 1) we're all thieves, and 2) we're all idiots. Consumers are never woo'd. We're never pulled in, wine'd and dine'd. Instead, these publishers rape us with overpriced games (in some cases), Day One DLC, Restrictive DRM, delays on PC, online authentication requirements, a system where forum posts can ban you from games, etc, etc. And they don't care. Why...?

MonopolyMan.jpg

You're still gonna buy it!

I blame Activision

GameStop seems to think that people will pay as much for a used copy as a new one.

Eh, I'm materialistic. Which was why I spent so much on Disgaea 1 and Shin Megami Tensei - Nocturne. I'm still looking for used copies of Disgaea 2, and Valkyrie Profile. I really wish those scumbags I had to live with had to resort something that low.

So do scummy car salesmen.

I blame Activision

Should blame EA too. They wanted $60 games on next gen consoles. Activision wanted console and PC game prices to match. Walla!

exactly what i was going to say..gamestops whole business model revolves around taking trade ins and selling them at a 5 dollar discount from the "new" copy, and in some cases they sell the used copy at full price or even branded as new!

So do scummy car salesmen.

please, no one sells used cars for the price of a new car. they might sell it for more than its worth but no fool would buy a used car for 40k when the new one is 41k.

That was a whole lotta words to say "I want the fruits of other people's labor and I don't want to pay for it."

please, no one sells used cars for the price of a new car. they might sell it for more than its worth but no fool would buy a used car for 40k when the new one is 41k.

You'd be surprised. When I was shopping for a car, I was debating between an Acura TSX and an Infiniti. Some of the "last year" models costed more or within $2000 range than the "this years" models. It would have been cheaper to get a new Acura if I didn't go for Infiniti instead. Acura's hold their value pretty well.

*quotes to reflect I was car shopping 2 years ago.