Pikachu

"Why I Pirate" - An Open Letter to Content Creators (Very, very, very long read inside)

Xbob42    2,688

So your opinion doesn't matter and neither does the guy who wrote the thing posted in the OP

To the point of view of a content creator? My point of view doesn't matter, no. Not when talking about this guy. Nor does yours. But this guy's, yeah, his matters because if they take this advice and do something with it, they may make money.

Wild    567

Wow, that was a pathetic, entitled read. The dude has absolutely no clue what he is talking about.

Here's one thing a lot of content creators seem to not understand: I'm downloading your content because I'm interested in it. I'm not downloading it to try and stick it to you, I don't even know you. It's up to you to make the content compelling enough for me to buy it.

So, this little fuck admits he is interested in what people are creating, he just thinks they need to make it compelling enough for him to spend money on or he should get it for free. What in the actual fuck?

And the idea of "let me have this one free, maybe I'll buy the next one" is such crap. If you don't pay for content creators for what they create, they can't afford to create anything else. How hard is this for poeple to understand? 99% of the artists who create the shit you buy make a decent wage, but not Hollywood millions. You're using the private jets of a few douchebags to justify ripping off thousands of hardworking people.

The industries are fucked, yes. They are screwing over their customers left and right. The answer to it? Don't buy their shit. It is not to steal their shit. You are not entitled to it.

These companies need to change their policies, but big long winding text walls of pure bullshit like this are not helping the rest of us get there any faster.

Lucian04    5,276

While I wholly agree that the industry needs to adapt to the digital market place like pronto, this letter was just unabated grand standing by a whiny douch bag. Not even Demut makes himself out to be entitled to the blood and sweat of other men.

Xbob42    2,688

The industries are fucked, yes. They are screwing over their customers left and right. The answer to it? Don't buy their shit. It is not to steal their shit. You are not entitled to it.

This is the last time I'll post in this thread, since I'm just repeating myself, but...

It doesn't matter what you're entitled to, if he can get it easily enough to where it's not even a hassle, then he's going to. Shoulds do not apply in reality. What matters is what can be done.

Ominous    722

This is the last time I'll post in this thread, since I'm just repeating myself, but...

It doesn't matter what you're entitled to, if he can get it easily enough to where it's not even a hassle, then he's going to. Shoulds do not apply in reality. What matters is what can be done.

So they should make it a bigger hassle to steal. Jail time it is.

Scape Zero    822

Yeah, everyone here is missing the point.

Yes, he is a whiny, bratty, self entitled douche bag. Thats basically his point. His point is he doesnt have to spend money anymore, so if you do things that are anti-consumer, he will just pirate your shit, and forget all about paying you.

He basically just wrote a book to say what Gabe Newell has been saying for ages. "Piracy is a service problem" Doesnt make him less of a brat, less whiny, or more right, but he is saying he pirates just because of a service problem.

Scape Zero    822

So what service "fix" is there for people that pirate $5 software.

Fuck if I know, Im not a douche bag who pirates 5 dollar games. I dont see why someone cant just buy it at that point.

Xbob42    2,688

So what service "fix" is there for people that pirate $5 software.

And here I thought I could leave this thread.

You can't make every single pirate a consumer.

That is reality.

You can turn many of them into consumers, though.

The goal is to focus on how to make money, not how to waste it trying to punish pirates, because that's fucking lunacy.

skillzdadirecta    1,785

I can't believe I read through that. What fucking whining. Just because he can't afford it doesn't make it ok to steal.

I skipped to the "In closing" part. Nice try at justification but if everybody had this sense of entitlement about everything we'd be living in a Mad Max style world of social anarchy. What if somebody decides they want this dude's house, or car or woman? Would they just be entitled to them because they want them and had the ability to take them from him? That's a pretty long letter and a pretty elaborate attempt at justifying an unjustifiable act.

Ominous    722

And here I thought I could leave this thread.

You can't make every single pirate a consumer.

That is reality.

You can turn many of them into consumers, though.

The goal is to focus on how to make money, not how to waste it trying to punish pirates, because that's fucking lunacy.

There are tons of things I wish We're different... But I don't steal cable, download movies, pirate software, etc.

I hate cable tv subscription model so I refuse to pay for it.

I hate movie ticket prices so I dont go to the theater.

Piracy is not a way to make a point.

Xbob42    2,688

There are tons of things I wish We're different... But I don't steal cable, download movies, pirate software, etc.

I hate cable tv subscription model so I refuse to pay for it.

I hate movie ticket prices so I dont go to the theater.

That's great, but you're not every human... so this doesn't matter. At all. That's the point I'm getting at. I'm not saying it's "right," I'm saying that's how it is. And unlike physical theft, there's no way to reliably enforce punishment for piracy. So the only option is for businesses to adapt. If you could replicate money without anyone knowing and no punishment, would you? That's basically what pirates do, but not with actual cash. They replicate entertainment.

You guys talk about "jail time" and "a guy to rape the pirates in the butt," but that's the entire crux of the argument. Reliable punishment is impossible without wreckin' the 'net.

CMack    857

xbob it boggles my mind that with no evidence you think that publishers will make more money by charging less. Sales aren't going to go up exponentially with a lower entry fee. Believe me, they charge what they charge in order to maximize profits.

CMack    857

Even when software is a few bucks people pirate it. Fuck you can get most PC games for $10 or so if you wait......but waaaahhhhh I'm entitled to it.

exactly, while discounting a game might lead to a few extra sales, there are some people that will pirate no matter what. These are business people who have been doing this a lot longer than any of us on a message board and they appear to be doing just fine.

Scape Zero    822

xbob it boggles my mind that with no evidence you think that publishers will make more money by charging less. Sales aren't going to go up exponentially with a lower entry fee. Believe me, they charge what they charge in order to maximize profits.

Uh, Valve has done, and succeeded by doing exactly that. They dont have their games go on sale all the time because they want to lose money.

Xbob42    2,688

Right. Maximize profits. That's why all game companies are so successful, right? Because they're full of geniuses. It's not like Valve is thriving while everyone else is crippled.

God what the hell am I even arguing this for? It's fucking common sense. The less your product costs, the more people can afford it. Fucking Christ.

Case in point: Terraria. You bought it, but wouldn't have if it was $60 because that would be fucking stupid.

Fuck this argument, you guys are just being stubborn and not using any sort of logic based in reality, just based on your own morals and ethics.

Yawn. Theft is theft. Sadly, a good % of folks would get everything for free, if under the guise of 'I can't be touched' as is the case with online piracy.

If nobody around you in your 'real' life would ever know, and the likelihood of getting in any sort of trouble as a result is nil...we get people like this guy. Would he ever even imagine stealing a physical video game for the same exact reasons? No, of course not. He's not a crusader, just jackass hiding behind a keyboard confident he can do or say what he wants, without fear of repercussions.

The second (sadly, this will not happen for a multitude of reasons) law enforcement actually made some examples out of people (3 years in jail here, $50000 fine there, etc) ...arguments like this cease to exist, and it becomes the same as ANY OTHER FORM OF THEFT. I would love to see that happen, if only to wipe the smirks off of a few idiots' faces.

But alas, this will likely not happen, so he's right...content creators will have to change in the face of having no real control over your wares once they go into the digital realm. Too bad for those content creators.

Shrug..at least I will continue to do the right thing.

Lucian04    5,276

True, but they eliminate a whole slew of costs by going digital and the new costs aren't enough to keep the same price tag as the retail copy. Sell it for $5, $10 or $15 less and you'll get more sales and make more money at the same time. It's been proven by devs that they take in more by selling for less in a digital medium. Witcher 2 went down to $35 almost immediately and CDP still made a shitton of money thanks to the fact that they were able to gross more per copy digital than they were via retail.

Krakauer    18

You guys miss the point. He isn't trying to justify anything. He doesn't have to. As a potential consumer, he is the one in control. He is telling the reality of the situation.

You can call him entitled, a douchebag, whatever. It doesn't matter. People don't go "Oh man, no money left, I guess I can't get any more entertainment this month!" they download shit instead. He is communicating that because you have a lot of competition, if he were to purchase one product for a high price, maybe, say, a competitor's product, then he may not be able to buy yours.

This is the reality of the situation, and your opinions, morals and poo-pooing of what he does has absolutely no bearing on the matter. Certainly you realize that.

I don't need him to tell me why he steals video games. Because guess what, when you don't pay for something, that's what it is. I don't care what his justification is, because its still illegal. Just like I don't care why someone justified robbing a convenience store or pistoling whipping some innocdent person and then robbing them at gun point so they can steal enough money to buy an eight ball. Or why someone carjacks somebody for their luxery sports car. Its all the same... its people stealing something because they don't have enough money to buy it themselves.

Video games are a privilege, not a right. If you don't have enough money to buy something, then get off your fatass and do something else. Go to the library and read a book. Go for a bike ride, or a walk. Go to a park and play pickup game of basketball or ultimate frisbee. Do something that costs less money.

Trying to justify stealing video games, movies, or music is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. I almost sympathize with someone who robs a store for money more because they have none and just want to get some food, so they can survive another day. But to steal a video game because you feel like its too expensive. That just makes you an entitled immature little shit. Its that simple.

Lucian04    5,276

I'd have to agree with merriman here. Video games, like sports cars, hot tubs and 100" 3D Plasma HDTV's are a luxury and therefor fall under the classification of a privilege, not a right. You don't have a right to jack and shit. You do however have the ability to get off your ass, find a job and save up the money to afford to treat yourself to those luxuries. I don't need a Vita or an Asus G60 or a X6 960T or an iPhone 3GS as they aren't necessary for me. But I want them because of the value I find in them. So I worked and saved up the money to buy them. I didn't run to the store and steal them or jack the UPS guy that goes down my street once a day. Same as I don't steal software. I simply wait till its a price that I'm willing to pay based on my percieved value of the product and then I buy it. The problem is that pirates don't perceive any value in the products they steal and use any lame excuse to justify it.

Does the digital market (the market place in general) need to change? Fuck yes! But stealing isn't going to make them change. Voting with your wallet and speaking your mind will. The problem is that too few are willing to stand up for their beliefs and too many take the path of least resistance.

Scape Zero    822

I'd have to agree with merriman here. Video games, like sports cars, hot tubs and 100" 3D Plasma HDTV's are a luxury and there for fall under the classification of a privilege, not a right. You don't have a right to jack and shit. You do however have the ability to get off your ass, find a job and save up the money to afford to treat yourself to those luxuries. I don't need a Vita or an Asus G60 or a X6 960T or an iPhone 3GS as they aren't necessary for me. But I want them because of the value I find in them. So I worked and saved up the money to buy them. I didn't run to the store and steal them or jack the UPS guy that goes down my street once a day. Same as I don't steal software. I simply wait till its a price that I'm willing to pay based on my percieved value of the product and then I buy it. The problem is that pirates don't perceive any value in the products they steal and use any lame excuse to justify it.

Does the digital market (the market place in general) need to change? Fuck yes! But stealing isn't going to make them change. Voting with your wallet and speaking your mind will. The problem is that too few are willing to stand up for their beliefs and too many take the path of least resistance.

Yeah! No one just gave me this tape deck in my car! I had to earn it!

:P

Xbob42    2,688

I don't need him to tell me why he steals video games.

That's great -- because he's not telling you. He's telling content producers and providers. He could give a shit less what you think, you're a nobody in this equation. The formula here is him and content producers, no one else. That's the whole point.

See, your opinion here doesn't change anything, you can go on moral crusade after moral crusade. That earns companies no money. Opinions that earn money are opinions that hold value. They can monetize what this guy is saying, you on the other hand just come off as a prick, just like the OP (Of the letter itself.) -- but he comes off as a prick who can earn content creators money.

Let me rephrase it...

His opinion can be turned into action by companies, and action is a tangible thing. The result is services like Steam, which were created with ethics that understand exactly what this guy is saying.

Your guys' opinions can't be turned into anything, because pirates don't give a shit if you think they're bad guys. Content producers can't do anything with your opinions on this matter... So... Follow me here?

Lucian04    5,276

That's great -- because he's not telling you. He's telling content producers and providers. He could give a shit less what you think, you're a nobody in this equation. The formula here is him and content producers, no one else. That's the whole point.

So IP Trace and Jail Hammer?