Pikachu

"Why I Pirate" - An Open Letter to Content Creators (Very, very, very long read inside)

You are right that the supply of used games is a limiting factor that doesn't exist for piracy, but I don't really think that's a great defense of the used game market relative to piracy. Piracy has plenty of it's own deterrents (mostly that you have to know where to go to get stuff, there's risk involved, you have to have a pretty substantial internet connection, etc.), while anyone can walk into a store that sells used games and purchase a used game. With the success of used game sales companies like Gamestop and the recent trend of places like Best Buy getting in on the business, it's kind of hard for me to imagine that piracy has more of a negative impact on a games company (in terms of lost sales) than the used game market does.

That risk only exists because piracy was deemed bad enough for society that laws were put in place against it and therefore that's not really relevant when discussing the ethical quandaries of the two behaviors. Personally, I think I mostly agree that the used market does more damage than good. At the same time, I'm not exactly keen on the notion that companies can tell me what I can do with a license I purchased. I guess I feel like used games should be legal, but no one should participate :P

I think that by “risk” he also means things like the possibility of catching a virus and the like. Besides, according to the content creators (in whose favor you all are so heartwarmingly arguing) used games are far worse for them than filesharing — probably for the same reasons that Dorkter proposed.

Demut, out of curiosity. Have you ever purchased either an online pass, or paid DLC, for any of the software you 'demoed', as your counterpart put it?

Do you find difficulty in locating 'demo' content? Have you gotten any viruses from said content recently? Do you have any fear of the German copyright police coming to visit? Or no.

:shrug:

Demut, out of curiosity. Have you ever purchased either an online pass, or paid DLC, for any of the software you 'demoed', as your counterpart put it?

Nope. But why are you asking me? I’m not the one who used these arguments and I think you misunderstood Dorkster anyway since he didn’t argue that people who got their copy illegaly might pay for DLCs or online passes. Why would they? After all, they wouldn’t work. However, they might purchase the full copy because they enjoyed the “demo” (to use your term). Why would someone who bought a used game do that? He already has the fully functional version, multiplayer and everything.

Do you find difficulty in locating 'demo' content? Have you gotten any viruses from said content recently? Do you have any fear of the German copyright police coming to visit? Or no.

Do I find difficulty in locating that stuff? Usually not. Have I gotten any viruses recently? I don’t hope so :| And lastly, there is a “German copyright police” :S ?

You're talking to a guy who just now thinks that "Steam is alright" after having been given Skyrim for free. But still refuses to purchase games because Steam is a form of DRM and all DRM is evil.

Verily. Although I have to point out that I have pretty much always (and not just recently as you seem to imply) thought that Steam itself is not horrible, the coercion to use it is.

Verily. Although I have to point out that I have pretty much always (and not just recently as you seem to imply) thought that Steam itself is not horrible, the coercion to use it is.

You're not being coerced if you willingly sign the contract to use the services. It takes two to tango as they say.

I know, I know. Coercion was probably the wrong term but I thought that you’d know what I mean. I guess not.

I know that you're talking about steamworks titles that register to steam no matter where you buy it from. I also know that you thought steam was evil till we schooled you on it less than a year ago.

I’m not using Bittorrent :| Never have either. There are actually people who still use that?

I know that you're talking about steamworks titles that register to steam no matter where you buy it from. I also know that you thought steam was evil till we schooled you on it less than a year ago.

The “coercion” is “evil”, yes, but Steam itself? I doubt that I have said that.

I’m not using Bittorrent :| Never have either. There are actually people who still use that?

The “coercion” is “evil”, yes, but Steam itself? I doubt that I have said that.

I have no idea what scum use to steal.

You misunderstood, I just disagree with the notion that it is “theft”. This term simply does not fit. That is not to say, however, that it is a proper thing to do.

I wonder if this guy is willing to work for free for the first couple of months at a new job so his employer can decide if he likes him or not. I am sure he would be the first to start bitching about being paid.

I liked this post

Neither do I. Still, then why are you speculating at all? Guessing wildly isn’t exactly making you look smart.

How much did you pay for Skyrim?

akward.gif

You misunderstood, I just disagree with the notion that it is “theft”. This term simply does not fit. That is not to say, however, that it is a proper thing to do.

No I know that you don't think it is theft...I just wanted you to say for the 23982303 time you don't give a fuck about stealing peoples work.

Oh, brilliant, Ominous, brilliant :thinking: What a clever ruse to make me say something that I have no problem admitting! Or, you know, you could just have asked me.

There was an old thread on drm that dragged on way too long and part of it you tried to justify that steam was evil and the cause of the proliferation of drm, etc, etc. I'd dig it up if I wasnt currently on mobile.

Oh, brilliant, Ominous, brilliant :thinking: What a clever ruse to make me say something that I have no problem admitting! Or, you know, you could just have asked me.

I don't really get you son.

You don't think people should protect their property, or even physical well being...and also promote stealing.

Such a twisted world view.

Since (as you know) I don’t think that it is stealing it’s not really twisted for me ...

There was an old thread on drm that dragged on way too long and part of it you tried to justify that steam was evil and the cause of the proliferation of drm, etc, etc. I'd dig it up if I wasnt currently on mobile.

Try to remember doing so the next time you’re on a PC, you got me curious :<>

I think that by “risk” he also means things like the possibility of catching a virus and the like. Besides, according to the content creators (in whose favor you all are so heartwarmingly arguing) used games are far worse for them than filesharing — probably for the same reasons that Dorkter proposed.

That risk seems pretty minimal and would be no more great than downloading anything off the interent unless there are other issues that again arise merely from it being illegal (like the rest of the risks). And as I said, the used market is probably worse because it is legal, but again, that isn't relevant when discussing the ethics of the behavior.