• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Pikachu

"Why I Pirate" - An Open Letter to Content Creators (Very, very, very long read inside)

491 posts in this topic

This letter comes from a user at the Step 2 community: https://www.insightcommunity.com/step2/311/why-i-pirate-an-open-letter-to-content-creators

Warning: very long read ahead, but it should make for some good discussion . . .

Why I Pirate - An Open Letter to Content Creators by Bobbi Smith

INTRODUCTION

I once rented a car for work and had an unpleasant experience. When I returned the car, I thought to myself, "I'm never renting from them again." After sitting on it for a day, I realized conducting my own silent protest wasn't going to help me or the rental agency. So later that day, I called their corporate headquarters and told my story to the VP of customer relations. More importantly, I told him what they did wrong and what kind of experience I expect as a customer if he wants my future business.

I would like all the content creators reading this to view this post as though you are the car rental agency. I am a dissatisfied customer who may never buy from you again unless you get your act together. I normally wouldn't waste my time explaining all this, but the content creators on Step2 certainly seem to be going in the right direction so I'm hoping this information will help.

This post isn't my attempt at a debate. You won't hear any mention of theft versus copying, exposure versus lost sales or right versus wrong. All I want to do is give you real-life insight from the file-sharing world. I want to hold your hand and show you how I decide what to buy and what my motivation is to pirate. I will use the terms pirate, download and file-sharing interchangeably throughout this post but they all mean the same thing: to download your content for free.

Some people will read this and think, "I don't care what this guy says, internet piracy is damaging." For those people, I ask you to skip the rest of this post and jump to the bottom section titled, 'In Closing.'

Some of you won't read this entire post and it won't hurt my feelings. You won't understand your customers and we won't buy your content. And don't read this hoping to find out why people download your content in the hopes that you can stop it in the future. You cannot stop file-sharing. It would be like trying to stop people from using electricity. People who have already paid for your content will also be some of the ones who download it. And they'll share it with others.

CHAPTER 1

I'm probably in your demographic. Male, mid-thirties, no children and living in Los Angeles. I'm also an unashamed downloader. I have many albums, many movies and many games that I share with friends and strangers. Most of which I've downloaded for free. Surprisingly, I also have many albums, many movies and many games that I have purchased, that I also share with friends and strangers. How did this happen?

When I was 16 and got my first job, I had nothing else to spend my money on but movies, music and games. I amassed a decent collection those first couple of years. As I grew older, I discovered I had purchased a lot of garbage. I was buying based on hype and I hated myself for it. By the time I was 21, I had stopped buying everything. I only played video games at my friend's houses and I only rented movies because at $1 a pop, I didn't feel ripped off if the movie sucked. I stopped buying music completely because it was hard to justify gambling $10 per CD. And trust me, that's what it all felt like, gambling.

I was in my twenties when Napster appeared and I still remember the day I heard about it. I had just started converting my CD collection over to mp3 and Napster saved me tons of time. After I downloaded the stuff I had already purchased, I began checking out new content. I quickly found several new acts that I liked and started downloading more new acts. It was addicting. When Napster was finally shut down, the file sharing industry had exploded. All these new services were catering to all types of media. Internet speeds were increasing. I had to buy larger hard drives to store everything.

I noticed something peculiar though. I was buying music CDs again. And I was going to the movies again. Same thing with video games and movie DVDs. It definitely started out slowly, but I can say with certainty, I spend significantly more now on entertainment than I ever did before I started downloading. And my story is not unique, many file-sharers will tell you the same thing.

Here's one thing a lot of content creators seem to not understand: I'm downloading your content because I'm interested in it. I'm not downloading it to try and stick it to you, I don't even know you. It's up to you to make the content compelling enough for me to buy it. I might not buy this one since I already have it, but if I become a fan, I'll likely buy the next thing you put out. Many content creators will think this is unfair. "I created the content, I get to control distribution and formats." No, you are wrong.

It used to be that way. If the record label said, "We are releasing this album in New York on the 10th and in Los Angeles on the 20th and only on cassette" then I had no option but to deal with it. Now, I don't care when, where or how you release it. If I want it, I'll get it. This is exactly what the internet did: it took control away from you and gave it to me. If you don't like it, then sit in your basement and create your content for your love of the craft instead of for profit. But if you want to sell it to me, you're doing it my way.

I will still give you my money if you make me happy. The sad part is there are still times where I would gladly pay for something but the content creator has left me no choice but to download it. Techdirt seems to post a story like that once a week. I'm not going to deny myself the enjoyment of your creation just because you haven't figured out how to collect.

How about this, I'll continue to download your stuff and have a blast. When you finally catch up, I'll buy your new stuff if the price is right. Maybe if you're lucky, I'll tell one of my non-techy friends about your movie or book and he'll buy the physical copy because he can't figure out how to download it. And I'm not going to feel bad about any of this because according to my credit card statements, I spend about $2,500 a year on entertainment. A $200 per month entertainment habit that is unequivocally fueled by file-sharing. Yes, I download more than $200 worth of content a month, but if you take away my file-sharing, you'll lose the money I'm putting into the market. That was definitively proven during my pre-Napster days.

CHAPTER 2

So let's approach this from a different angle. How about we take a deeper look at why I pirate your content and how you can extract money from me. But before I discuss how to get me to buy your album or book, let's go over a few things that are common to all types of media.

A. I have a lot of things competing for my entertainment dollars. You can't expect me to buy your content sight unseen when your competition has already proven to me that they have a quality product. You have to show me what you've got.

B. Get a handle on your pricing for digital media. Look, we understand why a paperback costs $7. You have to buy paper, glue and ink. It has to be written, edited, printed, shipped and stocked. And each of those people wants to cover their costs and make a profit. But when you write an ebook, and all you have to do is hit 'copy' to make another sale, you have no business charging $7 each. Remember before when I said I'm not downloading to try and stick it to you? In a situation like this, I'm downloading because you're trying to stick it to me.

C. Don't try and restrict when or how I can purchase your content. The internet has made the world a single, always-open marketplace. Either your product is for sale or it's not. Don't try and tell me I can't buy the DVD in the United States because Europe gets the exclusive rights for the first 2 months. I'm just going to download it and probably forget to buy it.

D. Stop trying to dictate how I can consume your content. This includes formats, media types and playback restrictions. I don't care if you think it's only real music if it's played on vinyl. I want it in mp3 format on my phone so I can listen to it at work. I don't care if you think a Hulu subscription is only valid for a computer. I want to watch the content on my television. I don't care if you think I should have to buy a digital copy separately from the DVD. I'm going to buy the DVD and create my own digital copy. And if you try to inject DRM to prevent me from doing what I want, you will have ruined your reputation and I will never buy from you again. Instead, I will only download your content for free. The question isn't whether I'll get your content in the format I want, the question is will you get my money in exchange for it? Your cooperation helps.

CHAPTER 3

Music. If you want me to buy your music, I need to be able to hear it first. Even if you're trying to sell for profit, you should find a way to get mp3 versions of your music on file-sharing sites. Now I know some of you are going to tell me that since you're selling your songs on Amazon or iTunes then I can hear 30-second preview clips and I have no reason to pirate. Nonsense.

Most music listening is not done sitting in front of the computer clicking "Play Preview," waiting 30-seconds, clicking "Play Preview," waiting 30-seconds, etc. We all listen to music while driving in the car, working out, partying or browsing the internet. I can download your entire full-length album in unrestricted mp3 format in less time than you can listen to one 30-second preview. You're not going to sell me anything by forcing me to sit on one website, going click click click and only getting small snippets of your music. What you are going to do is make me not care about your content.

One day I saw the name of an artist I had never heard of before. He had released three albums but hadn't made it big. I downloaded all of his albums and found out I liked a good portion of his stuff. A few months later on Amazon, I noticed he had a new digital album out. I purchased it without listening to a single preview clip. I also told several of my friends about him. I don't know if they bought anything, but that's not the point. The point is he got my money. Specifically because I was able to download his older albums and the stuff he was selling was DRM-free.

Now some of you are sitting there thinking, "Hey, you now have four albums but only paid for one. That artist lost three sales!" Obviously you aren't paying attention. Your facts are accurate but your conclusion is erroneous. No sales were lost. There were only two possible outcomes, either there would be no downloads and no sales or there would be three downloads and one sale. Which would you rather have?

Don't try to gouge me either. We customers have come to expect physical CDs to cost $10-$12. You better be in that range if you want me to buy. You've got no business selling your album for $25, you're just going to alienate me and drive me to download it instead, even if you're a big-name artist. I'm also turned off by the current mp3 market pricing of $1 per song and $9 per album. It's digital, I should be saving more money by not buying the physical product. I think $0.25-$0.50 per song and $3-$5 per mp3 album is my price range. You may think I'm insane, but luckily I'm not confined to your pricing structure, I've got other options.

Those other options also mean I'm not going to entertain your thoughts of using special playback mechanisms to enjoy your music. I will not install some special software just to play your CD. I will not install iTunes. I will not use Windows Media Player. I'm going to convert your CD to flac and mp3 and put it on any device I want. I want my music free of DRM and free of licensing restrictions for personal use. Another thing I'm not going to tolerate is when you offer special tracks through one particular retailer. Like when you make an album with 15 songs and then offer a special 16th song that is only available if you buy from Walmart. I'm definitely going to pirate that 16th song and I'm going to consider pirating the whole thing. Do you want my money or not?

You want to know who's really going to get my money? The artists who wake up and realize they can sell me their newest physical CD for $20. And by paying $20 for it, they're going to give me unrestricted digital copies of this album, and all their other albums. You know who's going to be hurt the most by that? You. Instead of me paying $10 for their CD and $10 for your CD, I'm going to give them the $20 and pirate your album. And if you are going to sell your album digitally, I would really appreciate liner notes. You can offer me a pdf file or simply link me to a webpage, but stop ignoring this valuable info. And make sure you have a website that details everything you've released and what you're working on. There's nothing more frustrating than finding a new obscure artist you like who only has a dormant Myspace music page.

Keeping your head in the sand will also drive me to download. The Beatles fiasco when they held out allowing their music to be sold digitally is a prime example. The band, the heirs and the label all had their idiotic hands in the mix jockeying for position. Since they had no respect for their customers, I decided to downloaded every album simply because I could. When they finally did release digitally, I wanted no part of it.

I have a colleague who has been working with his brother on releasing an album. They are terrified of the internet and it shows. When I first asked to hear some of their music, I was told the only way to hear anything was to come by their studio. Excuse me? Come by your studio? Are you nuts? Barring that, they told me to go see him play live. I'm not a fan of concerts so I doubt I'd go even if it was free, but they wanted me to buy my own tickets. They finally put a few tracks on YouTube but they're still nowhere near getting me to reach for my wallet.

CHAPTER 4

Books, comics and magazines. Some will say it's not a real book or comic if you can't hold it, turn the pages and smell the paper. That's just elitist nonsense. Anyone who has paid attention to the industry knows there is a demand for digital literature and as a producer, you need to give your customers what they want. There is a market for both physical and digital and you better make sure you have both available. Sure, someone huge like Ray Bradbury can hold his breath and stomp his feet and say "No ebooks!" But someone like you can't afford to ignore the market trends. And Ray Bradbury finally releasing ebooks was a non-event for us downloaders, all of his works were already available in ebook format on the pirate sites.

Just like with music, some of you will think that if you provide several preview chapters, I have no reason to pirate. And just like with music, you'd be wrong. Many times I've read sample chapters and then been disappointed by the entire book. Maybe it was your ending, or maybe it was the way you pulled something out of your ass in chapter 17 to rescue the girl. Either way, I'm not gambling anymore. Sure, some people might read those three chapters and think, "Hey, this is great, I'm going to buy this book." Me? I'll download it and read it if it's compelling. If I didn't like it, no harm, no foul. But if I did like it, one of two things are going to happen. One, I'm probably going to buy your next book so you should make sure you have a website where I can check up on what you're doing. Two, if I really liked this book, I'm already thinking about who else would like it. I'm going to buy the physical copy and give it to that person. I've probably purchased 10 books this year, yet I don't have a single one in my house because they've all been given away.

So if you want to generate a sale from me, you better make sure your book is available on the file-sharing sites. All of your competitors are already there so there is no reason you shouldn't be also. Additionally, if I buy your physical book, you should throw in a free digital copy. And if you offer digital copies, offer all the possible formats. If you only offer a pdf version, you aren't inconveniencing the pirate community. We can easily convert it to lit, mobi or epub. But what you are doing is potentially losing a sale to people like my mom. If she can't easily get it on her Nook, she's not going to bother with it.

I rarely buy hardcover so I'm going to skip offering a price opinion on it. As far as fiction goes, I expect to pay $6-$9 for a paperback and $3-$5 for a comic. For digital, ebooks should be $1-$3 and ecomics should be $1. Sure, I'll pay more than those prices if you're one of my favorites, but chances are you're not. Stop pricing your content like a diva.

If you've managed to coerce me to buy your current book, you're going to have to entice me if you want me to buy your older stuff (which should always be cheaper than your current stuff as a rule.) At the very least, I should get a discount on your older stuff for being a current customer. And I'm not talking a token 10% discount, make it something substantial like 50%-75% off. Or better yet, use the example I proposed in the music section. Sell me your current paperback for $12 and give me free digital copies of all five of your books. Treat me right, and I'll pay full price for whatever you put out next.

Even though I'm big on downloading, I still subscribe to four print magazines and one daily newspaper. Why would I do that when everything in those old-timey printed things is available for free online? Portability. I'm not paying for the content, I'm paying for the service of collecting all those articles in one easy to carry format and having it delivered to my porch. Now I can take this easily mobile collection with me anywhere I go.

CHAPTER 5

Video games. I've had a very up and down relationship with video games. The ones that I like, I like a lot. And the ones that I hate, I despise. Of all the media I come in contact with, video games have the hardest time drawing money from me and the main reason is their pricing.

Take World of Goo for instance. I first heard about them in 2008 when Techdirt featured their blog post saying they had a 90% piracy rate. The World of Goo makers weren't complaining about piracy, they were just trying to put some numbers out there for analysis. I downloaded the game to see what all the fuss was about, to see what was so great about this game to give it a 90% piracy rate. I felt it was a decent puzzle-type game, and liked the attitude the makers had about piracy, so I considered buying it. The problem was it was $20. I'm not paying $20 for a puzzle-like game that is nothing more than a bunch of similar but different levels. $5 probably, maybe $7, not even $10. I played it a couple of more times to see if it would hook me. It didn't so I deleted it.

Fast forward to 2010 when the first Humble Bundle was released. Upon hearing the details, I thought it was a fantastic concept and had already decided I was going to participate. Low and behold, World of Goo was one of the games. I paid $20 that day and got six games. I still haven't played World of Goo, but they got my money. I've purchased all 7 Humble Bundles and expect to continue doing so.

Now let's look at the big budget games, like Call of Duty, Halo and Madden. $60 for one video game? Forget that, I'm going to download it. If I spend $60 on this game, that means having to skip a future game I might like even more because there's less money in my pot. Even getting these games on sale for $40 is too steep. Right now, $30 seems to be the most I'm willing to spend on a game. And those prices are for when I buy physical copies. I expect discounts when I buy digitally. I think $20 is the max I'd pay for a digital game.

Someone out there right now is thinking, "What?! We spent $25 million making this game, there's no way we can make a profit selling it at $20." Not my problem. If you want me to buy it, you've got to get the price down. Here's an idea, don't drop $25 million making one stupid game. So while you bitch about it, I'm downloading it and playing it anyway.

Here's a real life example of how this works. I heard from a friend that Mafia was an enjoyable game. I downloaded it, played it and enjoyed it. Did I immediately go rush out and buy it? No, of course not. But when I heard Mafia II was coming out and it was made by the same company as the first one, I pre-ordered it. During my pre-order, for $10 more, they offered a Mafia I/II bundle, so I bought the bundle. When the games arrived, I gave Mafia I to a friend.

Why did I download Mafia I instead of trying out their demo? Because video game demos are the worst kind of samples of any media out there. I played the demo of this one adventure game and the demo was nothing more than a series of well-crafted interactive cutscenes. When I bought the game, I discovered the main gameplay was horrible which explains why it wasn't present in the demo. And the cutscenes weren't interactive. I got baited and switched. I once played the demo of an RPG that lasted about 10 minutes and had you fighting through one dungeon. When I bought the game, I found out it had only one other dungeon and the total game time was about 35 minutes. It's not worth it, it's easier to just download the full game. I'm done gambling.

The interesting thing about Mafia II was that I still pirated it. When I went to install the game for the first time, they tried to force Steam down my throat. I will not install Steam or any other DRM package just to play your game. I'm starting to soften up on Steam because it looks like the guys running the show seem to understand gamers. But my biggest complaint with Steam is that I want to play my game. I don't want to wade through advertisements, memos, updates and reminders. I want to play my game. The one I bought.

One company who will never get my money until they get their act together is Ubisoft. I refuse to give them any money until they stop with this nonsense. I'll still be playing their games though, but I'm tired of having my system mucked up or made less secure because of poorly designed DRM. The farthest I'm willing to go is entering a serial number one time, during installation. Anything more complicated than that and I'll probably ignore your game completely. If there is a lot of buzz, maybe I'll download it to check it out. Many times I've had a better experience with the pirated version of a game than the retail version. If something isn't working right with a game, the pirates usually include a fix in the download package.

Ubisoft's stance on their upcoming game I Am Alive is rather amusing. Even though they later backpedaled, Ubisoft originally said there would be no PC-port because of piracy and it would initially be released on Xbox and PlayStation. What I find funny is that the people clamoring for a PC-port are the ones who would probably buy it. The rest of us will just download the iso and play it on an emulator.

If you expect to have any hope of me buying your game, you really need to work on your pricing structure. Nobody buys one game and plays is for 24 months straight and then buys another game. We are constantly bombarded with advertisements for the next new big game. And you know what? It's exciting, we like it. We want to play your games. When they're $60 a pop, it limits the number of games we can buy, but it doesn't limit the number of games we can download.

CHAPTER 6

Movies, TV and video. Pretty much any movie I can think of is at my fingertips, and in the unrestricted formats I like. Hulu and Netflix can't even come close to matching what the pirates have accomplished. Why subscribe to Netflix when some other movie studio can decide to not renew their agreement and 25% of my available viewing material disappears overnight?

Get your movies and shows on the file-sharing sites. If it's good, word of mouth will get me to watch it which is always the first needed step. Just like the other media I described, I probably won't rush out and buy it if I liked it, but I will be checking up on you to see what you're up to next so have a website.

Every DVD I have ever purchased I have also pirated. The pirated files are compressed so they take up less computer space than just copying the DVD files. You can fit 3-6 digital movies in the same amount of space that one DVD uses. I can also easily convert these digital files to other formats when needed. Just like with music, I will not tolerate you making me jump through hoops to watch your movies. I will not use special hardware or install special software. I already have everything I need to play videos. If you can't give me what I want, I will download it instead, which means I may or may not buy it.

If Hollywood would offer up a service that had the same breadth of content the pirates offer, and it was reasonably priced, I'd be a subscriber. The problem is that every legitimate service was never 'complete' and those that were trying to do so are becoming fractured as the content owners decide that they can do better.

If you want me to buy your physical DVD, there needs to be no copy protection and no licensing restrictions for personal use. It should also include a digital copy that is available in multiple formats. Yes, I have a DVD player, but I also have a home theater PC and it's way better than a DVD player. I can keep my entire archive of movies and TV shows on there for immediate viewing. You know what you can't immediately view? A store-bought DVD. After you put it in the DVD player, you sit through the FBI warning, possibly another anti-copying message, then some promotional stills of the studios involved in the movie, then some trailers for other movies and then you finally get to the main menu. If you're watching a TV show DVD, you still have to cycle through the menus to find the episode you want. With digital files, it's instant playback.

If you're selling digital videos, they need to be DRM-free with no licensing restrictions for personal use. They need to be available in different formats and bitrates, or at least a high-quality bitrate so I can do my own transcoding. Years ago, I made a mistake and purchased a digital movie that had DRM. After downloading it, I found out I couldn't move it to another computer which meant I couldn't watch it on my home theater PC. No big deal. I used a program called Fairuse4WM to remove the DRM and was able to copy it over. The experience annoyed me enough that when a friend with a similar setup mentioned he was going to buy that same movie, I told him not to bother because it had DRM and I gave him a copy of the one I had. There's your definition of a lost sale.

$20 is the most I'm willing to pay for a physical DVD, whether it be a movie or a season of a TV show. They really should be in the $10-$15 range. If I buy your DVD, you should give me digital copies for free. I know it's wishful thinking, but can you remove all the FBI/preview crap from the beginning of your DVDs so we can get right to video? If you're selling digital videos, they need to be cheaper. If you want me to buy your digital movie, it needs to be around $5, same for a season of a TV show. A single episode of a TV show should be around $1.

I'm not even going to entertain 'renting' video anymore. This is a concept that for me has outlived its usefulness. I might still rent a physical DVD in a special circumstance but it won't be too long before every media player I come in contact with will play digital video files out of the box. I will never rent digital video files, mainly because I think those, "You have 48-hours to watch this rental" restrictions are stupid. Instead of going through that song and dance, I'm just going to download it and watch it anywhere and any hour that I want.

Even with all this downloading, I still go to the theaters twice a month. Why? It's not for the movie itself. I can always wait for a movie to hit the file-sharing sites if I really wanted to. I go to the movies because I enjoy going to the movies. I enjoy sitting in nice dark theater in front of a huge screen being entertained with my friends. And even though I have downloaded every episode of South Park, I still own every season on DVD because I want them to keep making it.

You know which movie I'll never buy? Hurt Locker. Voltage Pictures may know how to make a good movie, but they don't know squat about customer satisfaction. Once I heard they were going after file-sharers, I specifically downloaded the movie just to spite them.

CHAPTER 7

Techdirt stresses that content creators need to connect with fans in order to get them to buy. When I first started hearing that, I thought it was off-base. I could see anecdotal evidence showing it worked but my brain was telling me just because a content creator shows me their creative process or does a Q&A doesn't mean I'm more inclined to purchase their products. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized Techdirt is absolutely correct. The reason I buy the products I buy is because I am connecting with you, in my own way. I want my content creators to not be like Scott Ian and Lars Ulrich. I want my content creators to understand where technology is taking us. The South Park guys have every episode of their show available for online viewing free of charge. And I just so happen to own every set of their DVDs. The Humble Bundle guys know I just want to play my games with as little hassle as possible. And I just so happen to own every Humble Bundle. When I look at the software I have purchased, it's the ones with the unrestrictive EULAs. The kind of agreements where I can install the software on any computer I own, not just on this computer.

Do I feel bad for file-sharing? No, not in the least. True, it's technically illegal, but so is rolling through a stop sign and jaywalking. Yet everyone reading this has committed both of those crimes. The main reason I don't feel bad is because, like I detailed above, I know I'm buying content. Another important reason I don't feel bad is because I'm not profiting. I'm not taking your content and trying to resell it as though I'm a legitimate vendor. Physical piracy is a genuine problem and even the file-sharing community supports laws against it.

Being an active file-sharer means I have a clearer picture than you do of what's really happening. I know when I download something that it's not a lost sale and it's not theft. The fact that you can't see that is not my issue. I'm not going to let you stop me from sailing the world just because you think the Earth is flat.

I have no desire to support the RIAA and the MPAA. The unfortunate part is that I know they represent artists who are not fond of the tactics being used. I'm not going to refuse to buy your product, but I will take a long hard look before I buy. I would hate to be judged by the politicians who represent me, so I won't judge you by the sue-happy trade groups that represent you.

Lastly, I don't have to be your friend or share your same political views to like and purchase your products. You can make mistakes or hold a viewpoint I don't agree with, but if you're a horrible person, you can be certain I'm downloading everything you produce for free. Roman Polanski and Chris Brown are assholes. Don't expect me to buy their content. If you decide to work with them, I will not buy your products either, but I will enjoy them.

IN CLOSING

This section is for the people who can't be swayed from the 'online piracy is damaging' viewpoint. You likely didn't read my post, but I assure you there was no hyperbole. I didn't try to convince you copying is not theft, I didn't try to convince you I'm too poor to buy products and I didn't try to convince you file-sharing is akin to advertising. I just tried to tell it like it is.

Selling music, movies, books and video games is a business, big business. There is a lot of money generated by big entertainment and there are shareholders who won't stand for nonsense. For the last 10 years, I've been told the music, movie and game industries have been losing money, lots of money. Year after year I'm told online file-sharing is decimating sales, everyone is losing money, we have to do something to stop it. I'm not going to try and convince you you're wrong, but I do have a question:

If you were selling hotdogs and you started losing money, would you continue selling hotdogs at a loss for 10 straight years? The reason I ask is because I looked at some of the industries own numbers and it baffles me. If online file-sharing is killing these industries, why would they keep producing more content? And I'm sure someone is going to pull out a study showing trends in per-capita spending adjusted for inflation versus discretionary income per single-family residence that shows the entertainment industry is in a bleak position, but that's not what I'm after. If nobody is buying buggy-whips, you don't increase production year after year. Yet over the last 10 years:

The number of movies released is up 23% - [1]

The number of books published is up 47% - [2]

The number of albums released is up 25% - [3]

The video games industry is up 23% - [4]

When I look at those numbers, I have a hard time believing what Chris Dodd, Hilary Rosen and Stanislas Mettra have to say. Didn't Warner Bros. just set a company record for quarterly profits? I'm confused. My guess is that these industries really aren't losing money, but they are losing control. And maybe to them, control is more valuable than profits? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

References:

[1] - http://bit.ly/rj5mRT

MPAA industry report page 13.

454 movies released in 2001.

560 movies released in 2010.

[2] - http://bit.ly/uRb4KC

R.R Bowker output report, 2002 thru 2010.

215,138 books published in 2002.

316,480 books published in 2010.

[3] - http://bit.ly/tneVtC

90,324 music items for 2001.

113,080 music items for 2010.

Unfortunately, I could not find any release statistics on the RIAA website. Instead, I used Discogs browse by year feature and noted the number of items listed at the bottom of the page. This wasn't ideal so I'm hoping someone out there can dig up a relevant report.

[4] - http://bit.ly/kLHJ2Q

ESA industry report page 10.

208.7 million units sold 2001.

257.2 million units sold 2010.

I was unable to find any information regarding the number of releases per year. I used the number of units sold per year instead. Admittedly, the last two years have shown decreases of 7% and 8% but it should be noted that the chart in question is for "sales of new physical content at retail exclusively." So if you didn't buy at a retail chain or if you legally downloaded your purchase, it's not included in this chart. Page 11 of the same report states 24% of content was digital in 2010. I know it's not a perfect methodology but if we increase 2010's units sold by 24% we would get 318.9 million units which would be a 52% increase over 2001. I believe the 23% increase stated above is lower than the actual number, but I also thought it was important to use the numbers supplied by the industry.

• "I stopped buying music completely because it was hard to justify gambling $10 per CD. And trust me, that's what it all felt like, gambling."

Not sure how this mentality really applies to piracy. Some media is good, some sucks. I know he mentions later that listening to previews on iTunes isn't good enough for him, but that's just dumb, especially considering previews are, what, 90 seconds?

• The market for media being based on scarcity

Is indeed outdated and broken. If you want to legally spend money on something, you should be able to. But at the same time, "but I want it nooow" isn't a valid excuse to pirate.

• "Keeping your head in the sand will also drive me to download. The Beatles fiasco when they held out allowing their music to be sold digitally is a prime example. The band, the heirs and the label all had their idiotic hands in the mix jockeying for position. Since they had no respect for their customers, I decided to downloaded every album simply because I could. When they finally did release digitally, I wanted no part of it."

"But I want it nooow!"

• "Now let's look at the big budget games, like Call of Duty, Halo and Madden. $60 for one video game? Forget that, I'm going to download it."
  • "$20 is the most I'm willing to pay for a physical DVD, whether it be a movie or a season of a TV show. They really should be in the $10-$15 range."

This is definitely the true, childish reason for 95% of piracy. "I think things are too expensive, so I'll download them for free."

• "I will not install Steam or any other DRM package just to play your game. I'm starting to soften up on Steam because it looks like the guys running the show seem to understand gamers. But my biggest complaint with Steam is that I want to play my game. I don't want to wade through advertisements, memos, updates and reminders. I want to play my game. The one I bought."

Sometimes I wonder if people who bitch about Steam have ever actually used it lol. Open Steam (or just have it set to start with Windows). Click the game you want to play. So obtrusive oh my god it's taking so long and I have my library all in one place this is so convenient it's annoying

• "You know what you can't immediately view? A store-bought DVD. After you put it in the DVD player, you sit through the FBI warning, possibly another anti-copying message, then some promotional stills of the studios involved in the movie, then some trailers for other movies and then you finally get to the main menu."

Yup, this is indeed bullshit. If you bought a movie you should be able to go right to watching the movie. But, again, just because something is slightly annoying isn't a valid excuse for piracy.

• "I spend significantly more now on entertainment than I ever did before I started downloading."
  • "I might not buy this one since I already have it, but if I become a fan, I'll likely buy the next thing you put out."

This seems to basically be the guy's ultimate point, and sure, maybe it really is true for him. But I know far more people who download everything and rarely purchase things at all than I do people who pirate something and then purchase future releases from the band/developer/author/etc, and I'm willing to bet most people here know more of those people as well.

Things need to change. Media shouldn't be based on scarcity in the digital age, you should have immediate access to the content you purchased with no obtrusive bullshit, games shouldn't have DRM that gets in the way of playing the game you've legally paid for, etc. But even though those things suck, it's not an excuse for piracy. Anyway, when you get down to it, most people who pirate don't do so because they're fighting the man about DRM or unskippable FBI ads and trailers and such. They're doing it because they can get the content for free, and easily at that. This guy's motivation boils down to, again, a childish "but i waaaant it!"

Now let's look at the big budget games, like Call of Duty, Halo and Madden. $60 for one video game? Forget that, I'm going to download it. If I spend $60 on this game, that means having to skip a future game I might like even more because there's less money in my pot. Even getting these games on sale for $40 is too steep. Right now, $30 seems to be the most I'm willing to spend on a game.

God, this guy is such a douchebag.

You mean if i buy something i might need to not buy something else? Why can't i just buy everything?!!? That's why i feel fine stealing your hard earned investment/work!!

A ferrari costs 90 thousand dollars? Fuck that it's not worth that to me! I'll go fucking steal one.

I don't know what to say without breaking TOS, but god damn that letter is amazing.

He hits the nail on the head, that's for sure.

I love the whole "i pirate games because drm pisses me off" thing, people like this are the reason DRM exists.

"I'm angry at this cabinet cuz i hit my head on it, i'll show it by head butting it till either it or my head breaks!!"

I will counter with a story that deals with entitlement that I was taught and understood as a prepubescent child:

It's called The Little Red Hen.

This "open letter" is the ravings of an entitled brat, I'm sorry.

You have no ethical right to enjoy the fruits of the substantial labors of others without contributing in some way.

Download all you want, IDGAF. But to attempt to justify it in this way is laughable and pathetic.

Whether or not you consider content providers to be unethical, two wrongs do not make a right and you are entitled to no leverage in any discussion on the matter.

If you have a spine, don't buy and don't play content that you don't want to support.

I've pirated reams and reams of music, but I have the testicular fortitude to admit that I am not entitled to this music, what I'm doing is unethical, and MOST OF ALL, the artists are not beholden to whatever selfish demands I express to them.

This guy is a spineless doofus, his article sucks, and he sucks.

There's no excuse for pirating. If you can't afford it but want it--- well, just keep that to your self. This sort of "argumentation" is biased, dangerous, and egotistic based propaganda that can ammount in nothing but further disillusionment for consumers viewing the actual market. These markets (books, music, videogames, software, movies, etc:) make their money by selling, well, what they fucking are. And while they've retained their buoyancy so far, to say piracy has been anything less then crippling is sincere, delusional bullshit.

Piece of shit with charismatic writing; Go fuck yourself.

I read the whole thing, and all I see is a whining bitch who doesn't want to pay for some stuff. As far as I am concerned, he can go fuck himself. There's a reason why any law enforcement polygraph asks you if you've ever stolen anything... and if you say no, they ask you if you've downloaded anything for free without paying for it. After 2 hours, unless you're a sociopath, you will fail that polygraph... every time. So you know what I say? Have fun looking for a job if you download shit. Have fun failing polygraphs and losing out on job opportunities. What a tool.

You guys miss the point. He isn't trying to justify anything. He doesn't have to. As a potential consumer, he is the one in control. He is telling the reality of the situation.

You can call him entitled, a douchebag, whatever. It doesn't matter. People don't go "Oh man, no money left, I guess I can't get any more entertainment this month!" they download shit instead. He is communicating that because you have a lot of competition, if he were to purchase one product for a high price, maybe, say, a competitor's product, then he may not be able to buy yours.

After than, you can poo-poo him all you want, but that will never stop him from downloading it.

You seem to think this is an argument he's making to clamor for your approval, but he's telling content producers why he pirates and how they can help themselves. Your opinions don't mean anything because opinions don't make sales.

There's one thing content producers want: Money. That means his argument, which provides insight and advice, has actual value. Because a pirate is nothing more than a potential consumer. You can demonize them all you want, but in the end content producers are mad because they haven't gotten money from them yet. DRM and the like just further pushes them away, but if you can find a way to appease and embrace pirates, you turn many of them into consumers. That's the entire goal of DRM and the like, but companies don't realize it turns away real consumers and pirates just ignore the DRM when they get it illegally.

This is the reality of the situation, and your opinions, morals and poo-pooing of what he does has absolutely no bearing on the matter. Certainly you realize that.

You guys miss the point. He isn't trying to justify anything. He doesn't have to. As a potential consumer, he is the one in control. He is telling the reality of the situation.

You can call him entitled, a douchebag, whatever. It doesn't matter. People don't go "Oh man, no money left, I guess I can't get any more entertainment this month!" they download shit instead. He is communicating that because you have a lot of competition, if he were to purchase one product for a high price, maybe, say, a competitor's product, then he may not be able to buy yours.

After than, you can poo-poo him all you want, but that will never stop him from downloading it.

You seem to think this is an argument he's making to clamor for your approval, but he's telling content producers why he pirates and how they can help themselves. Your opinions don't mean anything because opinions don't make sales.

There's one thing content producers want: Money. That means his argument, which provides insight and advice, has actual value. Because a pirate is nothing more than a potential consumer. You can demonize them all you want, but in the end content producers are mad because they haven't gotten money from them yet. DRM and the like just further pushes them away, but if you can find a way to appease and embrace pirates, you turn many of them into consumers. That's the entire goal of DRM and the like, but companies don't realize it turns away real consumers and pirates just ignore the DRM when they get it illegally.

This is the reality of the situation, and your opinions, morals and poo-pooing of what he does has absolutely no bearing on the matter. Certainly you realize that.

You must be mistaken about what D1P is--- we're consumers, honorable ones (hopefully), and not the industry. Thus, we do have a bearing on the matter, as it is being presented to us. Certainly, you realize that.

And truly, what you just said isn't "beyond us." Speaking for myself and everyone who reads this, we all know that; it's in the essay's title! But unlike you, I'm not going to condone this "how it is" nonsense because that isn't what is relevant. How things are does not mean how they should be. And, quite obviously, piracy is a damaging option that does not merit any excuse or, in this case, "argumentation." Truly, this is a delusional writing that is blatantly inefficient in acknowledging the repercussions of piracy as a whole. Obviously, the things this person is stealing are things that he enjoys; whether his individual purchases would make an impact on the actual economy or not isn't relevant, as piracy is obviously not a singular but global controversy, and it is not tallied by the single.

Also, don't you dare write, "Oh man, no money left, I guess I can't get any more entertainment this month!" I do that every goddamn day! The simple truth is that some people aren't interested in taking but earning what they seek, and while I'm aware that the majority of consumers would flock to the more "affordable" price of "time to download," that means nothing as to what piracy actually represents. Truly, digital piracy is the most cowardly, apathetic, and damning forms of theft; there is (mostly) zero repercussions, no shame, and the stolen item is, generally, complete as the consumer form. That said, it changes nothing in relation to its actual effect on the market, the mentality for both consumers and artists, and the general quality of said stolen items.

I can't say this more blatantly; There is no argumentation for piracy. It's a wasteful act damning to all parties involved with the actual process. And while I am not trying to delude myself from the actuality of how widely available piracy is, it changes nothing in it's actual fallacy, dishonesty, and complete and utter wastefulness toward all parties, from the market to consumers, involved with the item.

This is propaganda, "yee-haw, Cowboy!" bullshit that is literally dangerous for its charismatic approach. It's garbage, through and through, and there is nothing to be had here save "I now feel better about being a piece of shit."

If you pirate, keep it to your fucking self. Essays like this are literally dangerous tools of misleading, uninformed, delusional bullshit.

How things are does not mean how they should be.

And this stubborn idealism is exactly why companies are failing to adapt to the market. The rest of your post is irrelevant, because this is all you really wanted to say. "It's not fair!" It doesn't MATTER.

And this stubborn idealism is exactly why companies are failing to adapt to the market. The rest of your post is irrelevant, because this is all you really wanted to say. "It's not fair!" It doesn't MATTER.

Nope. You're against a wall; crumple, and deal with it.

He is desperate for approval and justification for his actions.

His thesis is not a revelation to anyone, and it's completely discredited by his character.

Nobody needs the opinion of this guy, especially considering few people can stand to slodge through his goddamn essay because of the thick veneer of entitlement and pathetic grandstanding.

He has valid points, but they're not original, they're not necessary, and they have come from much more respectable sources.

There are a few sentences of generic inarguable advice sandwiched between the endless reams of idiocy.

Nobody should be subjected to this trash.

Tell him to respect his audience if he wants to be taken seriously.

The fact that he doesn't bother to appeal to his alleged audience just speaks to the truth that this essay is not for anyone but the people that already support his views.

He wants his nuts licked and his actions justified by the rest of the pirate community and is sucking ravenously at the tit of mindless supportive comments that already follow his tirade. He thinks himself some sort of anonymous internet vigilante, but he's really just a spineless parasite slowly exhausting the sweat and blood of greater men just to leave in a huff when his host unsurprisingly withers and dies.

... lol.

I'm against no wall -- content creators are. And your arguments come off as desperate idealism because of what you think is how things should be. None of that has any relevance in the real world, only in your mind based on morals or ethics. Those have no affect on reality.

If you're actually saying he's not trying to justify his actions, you didn't read it. It's fucking called "why i pirate"

God, this guy is such a douchebag.

I can't believe I read through that. What fucking whining. Just because he can't afford it doesn't make it ok to steal.

that's all that d-bag wrote in his letter about why he pirates. It's a big cry fest that just says it's not fair over and over again. He's a petulant child.

Again and again you guys miss the point. It's demand from a consumer who feels he is not being satisfied. Your opinion of him makes no difference. Because he's telling you why, not trying to convince you that it's "okay," because he doesn't give a shit if it's okay or not. He can do it, so he does. This is how humans work.

You need to think of it from a game design perspective.

Like, say...

If someone isn't having fun with level B, you don't just change it over and over. You ask "Why aren't you enjoying level B?" And they say the platforming is bad. Then you have to ask "Why is the platforming bad?" and they say "Because of the camera." You keep going down and down until you realize that it isn't level B that is the issue, it's the camera control in general, it just happens to be worst on level B.

It's the same thing here. It doesn't matter that people do pirate, but if you can garner why they pirate, you can turn pirates into paying customers. Not all of them, never all of them. But if they speak up with articulated points (Like this guy did.) then that becomes valuable and quite rare information. Usually people don't articulate why they pirate because people like you (Half the people in this thread.) will immediately demonize and say "What a douchebag faggot thief blah blah blah," your opinions on other consumers or non-consumers has absolutely 0 value. You don't matter. You're, in a sense, worthless in this discussion.

His opinion, on the other hand, can be turned into cold, hard cash.

You miss that point because you're not a content creator. You're angry because someone else got something free that you paid for. A content creator, on the other hand, doesn't want pirates dead or burned alive, because that's completely nonsensical. They want pirates to pay, and if pirates aren't paying because paying customers are treated like criminals out of the gate and the actual criminals have a better experience, what the fuck is the point of paying for a product? That's why services like Steam are thriving, because it is easier and more convenient than pirating. Hell, in terms of man-hours, it's potentially cheaper to buy a game on Steam if it saves you hours of trying to crack it.

Steam adapted, and they're profiting in an insanely amazing way. It is up to the content creators and not the consumers to adapt. Consumers don't have to adapt to jack shit. That's the point. The point you all miss in your blind emotional rage. You scream "entitled," and these people will scream back "Yes, if you want my money, I get to demand the terms." And if you say "Well that doesn't mean you get to get the game for free!" they will very matter-of-factly state "Yes. Yes it does." because nothing is or can stop them from doing so.

You need to adapt to the reality of the situation or you will fall.

no, you don't need to adapt, you make more selling 6 copies @ $60 than you do selling 4 @ $30. There is no reason to change. The only thing they should do is better prevent theft.

I read enough of it to figure out he's a whiney entitled doucebag.

I agree, I'm with him that content creators simply do not get it for the most part, but typically if I disagree with a practice, I just don't get the game, meaning.. I just don't play it.. that still does not excuse piracy.

no, you don't need to adapt, you make more selling 6 copies @ $60 than you do selling 4 @ $30.

If your game is $30, it's probably gonna sell a lot more copies than if it was $60. And if your game is on a digital distribution service worth its salt, you'll make a hell of a lot more at $30 per sale than you would at $60 per sale at retail.

You're speaking out of complete naivete. Which is exactly why consumer opinion on pirates doesn't matter.

Again and again you guys miss the point. It's demand from a consumer who feels he is not being satisfied. etc...

Sure, agreed, and it sounds reasonable coming from you Xbob.

The guy in the article does not sing the praises of Steam like you do, he is very critical of Steam and uses it as an excuse to pirate.

The thing about people like this is they will use ANYTHING as an excuse to pirate. Few game makers and publishers can make it through development and release without inadvertently committing some miniscule transgression that pirates will use as an excuse to steal their game.

Nobody is perfect, no game is perfect, no service is perfect, and as such, this guy will ALWAYS have a justification for pirating games. If he doesn't have the money to play them all (which he said he doesn't) what is he going to do? Pirate them. It makes no difference who does what right. The guy wants content that he can't (or doesn't want to) pay for and he's going to find a reason to steal it.

Will his advice make gaming better? Sure. Will it make him stop pirating? No... he will just pirate better games easier.

Them's the breaks.

If you can come up with these flimsy justifications for pirating now, you can do it later.

Or gosh, maybe he would buy more multi-million dollar, thousands of man-hour games if they simply lowered the cost to $10-$15. LOL.

And then his standards normalize and now it's "what game is worth $10-15, and what games should I just pirate?"

Origin is not a reason to pirate. Steam is not a reason to pirate. Day 1 DLC is not a reason to pirate. If he's pirating for non-reasons now, he will in the future.

So... Yeah.

Nobody should listen to this guy.

We would all benefit from less intrusive DRM and cheaper games, including the pirates who will be playing DRM-less cheaper games FOR FREE.

We would all benefit from less intrusive DRM and cheaper games, including the pirates who will be playing DRM-less cheap games FOR FREE.

Well, yeah, pirates always have DRM-free games for free. But as I said, Steam shows that pirates, when treated like people, can become consumers. As I said, not every pirate can be made a consumer. That's the reality of the situation. Trying to stamp out piracy --like trying to stamp out booze during the prohibition era that everyone hates so much-- is never, ever going to work. People will rebel the more you try to force DRM and shit down their throats.

So you don't worry about pirates you can never change, because that's wasted time and effort. Nothing you do will ever stop them. The ones you can convert are extremely valuable, though. Pirates like to "own," their games just as much as anyone else, they like to have a "real" copy, which is why so many people bought the Humble Bundle deals for $.01 even though it was worse than piracy because it literally cost the Humble Bundle guys money to charge that one cent and send the people those downloads.

But even with those 1 cent purchases, each bundle was still extremely (Moreso each time in fact.) successful and you can bet your ass a bunch of pirates put down at least a few bucks. What you guys are trying to argue is that "piracy is wrong," but the reality is no one cares is piracy is right or wrong. What matters is piracy is easy (And it's not going to get harder, no matter how much digital security you put in your game. The guys cracking this shit do this for a living and take each DRM "upgrade" as a challenge.), so you have to be easier, more convenient, and have a sweet price point to genuinely excite people. Why do you think Steam sales rape everyone's wallets? Seeing 50-75% off gets people hyped. It generates more revenue than not having a sale (Revenue, as in PROFIT. Not just sales. Sale numbers alone mean jack shit.) etc etc. You've heard all this before.

You're trying to crucify this guy because he's outspoken about his piracy, you want to call him a crybaby and a thief. Whatever you call him, he explained why he does what he does. You can think he's the lowest animal on the foodchain, the scummiest of the scum... but the only way to make him pay is to treat him decently.

That's how business works. Well, unless we're talking about the console where people eat up day 1 DLC and love buying shitty horse armor and rebuying the same game every year. :P

Which is exactly why consumer opinion on pirates doesn't matter.

So your opinion doesn't matter and neither does the guy who wrote the thing posted in the OP

You've heard all this before.

Exactly, and I'd rather chew glass than hear it again from some jive talkin' turkey, dribbling conceit and entitlement from his jive talkin' pie hole like he's some sort of taste-making trend-setting superstar of a rebellion against some poor sap of a character animator devoting 5 years of his life to a massive project just so it can be fully played and loved by raving mad video game fanatics who then turn around and shit in that dev's mouth because his publisher had the insufferable gall to try to prevent those very same video game fanatics from stealing their gigantic investment.