Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bought Dead Space 2 on Steam ... auto-registered to Origin

43 posts in this topic

Posted

What?

I just booted up Origin today to play BF3 and I see Dead Space 2 there. Why? I bought this game on Steam 4 months ago. I just beat it last week and haven't booted it up since. The purchase date in Origin states Feb 18, 2012 (today). The CD keys match.

What the hell? Why is Origin doing this? HOW is Origin doing this?

Posted

yep did the same to me with dead space and mass effect 2

Posted

Did you have to register DA2 with an EA account before you could play it? Something similar happened to me with the Sims 3 when I first used Origin.

Posted

EA Account is your Origin account, and EA really, really wants your e-mail address in every single game you buy from them, so it's super-easy for them to do.

EA's fucking weird sometimes with how desperate they are for your personal info.

Posted

I did log in to my EA account when DS2 started but it looks like it's just for multiplayer. But there was no mention of it registering to Origin. And why was it added to my Origin account almost two weeks after I first started playing DS2? And nearly a week after I finished it.

By the way, if I run Origin on its own and then run DS2 via Origin, Steam overlay is still present. It's like Origin is merely a launcher for the Steam version. It's not a second installation. It's a good thing this means almost nothing. But still, kinda disturbed by what has transpired here.

Posted

Huh, I just checked mine after seeing this, and DS2 is listed for me as well.

Posted

I did log in to my EA account when DS2 started but it looks like it's just for multiplayer. But there was no mention of it registering to Origin. And why was it added to my Origin account almost two weeks after I first started playing DS2? And nearly a week after I finished it.

By the way, if I run Origin on its own and then run DS2 via Origin, Steam overlay is still present. It's like Origin is merely a launcher for the Steam version. It's not a second installation. It's a good thing this means almost nothing. But still, kinda disturbed by what has transpired here.

Just because you weren't informed doesn't mean it didn't happen. Your EA account IS your Origin account, so...

Posted

i'm cool with that now just add crysis, bulletstorm, mirrors edge to it cause it doesnt work manualy.

Posted

All of my EA games installed from Steam automatically showed up in Origin. I thought it was pretty neat actually.

Posted

You put in your email in the game. Thats what registered it on Origin. Logging in was enough to tell Origin "Hey, I own this game all up in this bitch like a boss".

Posted

Origin automatically scrapes file names to find known games and add them.

It's what caused everyone to go insane about "spyware": http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=450660

Only to find out later that it was nonsense spread by an idiot who didn't understand how to use SysInternals: http://www.reddit.co...armless/c2vbjty

Origin on installation will try to find games installed on your harddrive and automatically register them within Origin. It does that in a couple of different ways:
  • It reads the windows games registry
  • It looks for games in Program Files
  • It looks for games in ProgramData (where, for unknown reason the OP's SMS and tax software are storing the data instead of the user profile where that data should go!)
  • it reads the xfire config if it finds one for games

If you look at the screenshot closely you will see that it does not actually read any files. Instead it looks for their existence and recursively walks the directory. It does not read any of your files, at least not judging from this screenshot or anything I have found on my machine.

Lastly if you monitor the network traffic that Origin causes you will see that it does not transmit anything of value to EA. So far I have not seen anything bug login credentials being submitted.

Since Origin does this on installation, and Origin is updated and reinstalled pretty frequently, that would be why Dead Space 2 shows up.

Posted

Curious as to why this wasn't working for me, I decided to try adding my Mass Effect 2 Product Code from Steam. I didn't expect it to, but it worked.

All I did was access the View Game CD Key window from Steam, copy the Product Code from the list, and add it under the Redeem Code option in Origin. I now have ME2 listed in Origin. I don't really like Origin, but since they're forcing me to make do with the shoddy service in order to enjoy ME3, I guess its okay I now have it on my list.

Now...removing games from the list. That's a pain in the ass, no?

Posted

Hello Joystiq.com users. stop being lazy bums and register for the best pc gaming forum on the internet.

Sanborn out!

Posted

Hello Joystiq.com users. stop being lazy bums and register for the best pc gaming forum on the internet.

Sanborn out!

huh?

Posted

Sanborn out!

We big time now.

Posted

$5 says this thread gets a couple more views

Posted

We big time now.

Small fish in a big pond. Don't eat us!

Posted

uV4Yo.png

thank you fizzzzle

Posted

Toasting in epic bread

Posted

WE LEGITIMATE NEWS SOURCE NAO.

COME AT US HUFFINGTON POST.

Posted

Gotta add my normal ORIGIN SUCKS ASS!

Now this thread is complete.

Posted

I prevent this by never ever installing origin, no matter what.