Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Board Restructuring: Dec 03, 2011

154 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey all,

This Saturday morning the boards will be going through some more restructuring. As I've mentioned before, we're a small community that has become bloated by too many off-topic boards. These thin out the conversations and make it confusing for new members to jump into a topic. As such, the changes below are made in the spirit of refocusing BC:

GAMING:

General Gaming

Microsoft

Sony

Nintendo

PC & Mac

Handheld

Gaming Communities

OFF-TOPIC:

General Insanity

Current Events

Entertainment

Sports

Life

Technology

Eye Candy

Please note, no old topics will be deleted, they will simply be moved to their new home.

The following forums will be moved here:

Gaming:

Mobile (to Handheld)

Retro (to General)

Off-Topic:

Music, Movies & TV, Comics, Books (all become Entertainment)

Cars, History, Philosophy, Sex, Relationships, Food & Drink (all become Life)

Technology & Science (become Technology)

Next up: New Modding rules. Those will be implemented near the end of next week. You will be notified ahead of time to the changes.

Finally, the T-Shirts have gone to the presses! Should be available in the next few weeks, just in time for the Holidays!

Posted · Report post

Are you changing the names of the console specific boards in anticipation of the next generation of consoles?

Looks fine in my book.

Posted · Report post

Are you changing the names of the console specific boards in anticipation of the next generation of consoles?

Looks fine in my book.

That's the idea, yeah.

Posted · Report post

Looks fine in my book.

TheLeon is a clever girl

Posted · Report post

I guess it's ultimately not a big deal, but I can see Vita stuff being posting on the "Sony" board and 3DS stuff on the "Nintendo" board.

On the other hand, I'll soon have the perfect board to discuss the philosophical ramifications of eating super old Twinkies in my dad's car.

Oh, and the other thing I meant to ask - what T-shirt(s) did we go with? My guess would be the one with far and away the most votes (Grey Shirt - Black Text, Blue Highlight), but I'm still pulling for my vote (at a distant third).

Posted · Report post

Oh, and the other thing I meant to ask - what T-shirt(s) did we go with? My guess would be the one with far and away the most votes (Grey Shirt - Black Text, Blue Highlight), but I'm still pulling for my vote (at a distant third).

Grey Tshirt - Black Text, Blue Highlight.

Black Tshirt - Blue Text, Blue Highlight.

We're still working on the laptop sticker.

Posted · Report post

I like the way you have it set up.

You should raffle off a shirt.

Posted · Report post

...Again? Im just getting used to the new spots :C

Posted · Report post

...Again? Im just getting used to the new spots :C

These were just temporary

Posted · Report post

Well, looks like the Retro discussion on this board is going to get completely buried amongst the fast moving General board. I don't really understand why it needs to be moved...it has more topics than the Nintendo Wii board and that isn't being tinkered with at all.

Posted · Report post

I am really surprised you kept Eye Candy its own board.

Posted · Report post

Well, looks like the Retro discussion on this board is going to get completely buried amongst the fast moving General board. I don't really understand why it needs to be moved...it has more topics than the Nintendo Wii board and that isn't being tinkered with at all.

That is literally the only board I have issue with in the restructuring.

The pace of Retro may be slow but it's good for the topics it has so that they can actually be seen and talked about.

But. Whatever happens happens. I won't lose sleep over any of it.

Posted · Report post

I am really surprised you kept Eye Candy its own board.

It was made to pull that content off of GI. It works for the most part.

Posted · Report post

The pace of Retro may be slow but it's good for the topics it has so that they can actually be seen and talked about.

I think it could help get a few more eyes on some of the retro topics for the people who might want to post in one of those threads if they saw them, but wouldn't normally go to the board. I'm not necessarily sure that's true, but just trying to think of how it could work positively.

Posted · Report post

ugh. don't want comics and books in movies and tv.

AND music? fuuuuck I hate those boards.

For once I'm in agreement. Movie & TV is the only one of those I regularly go into, and if it becomes too shitty, I'll just skip it.

Posted · Report post

I don't like the entertainment or life boards. At the very least, movies and tv, and sex, health and relationships should be kept separate.

(null)

Posted · Report post

This.

Posted · Report post

Sometimes you have to accept that some boards will be a little slower. Retro is one of those boards. Likewise if you throw TV/movies and music all into one board you're just going to degrade the quality of the discussion about both of them.

And Cars, History, Philosophy, Sex, Relationships, Food & Drink all as one board? Really? That's such a complete cluster-fuck of topics. History and Philosophy go naturally together IMO. Food and Drink should be kept separate, even if at its current pace, because let's say there's a recipe thread, or the beer recommendation thread, those threads lose their value if they get buried under posts about cars and whether you should see the doctor about that weird red sore on your dick. Furthermore if we experience future growth in our userbase it's going to get to the point where we're going to have to separate some of those boards back out anyhow, beyond the fact that those new users will probably initially be confused by such a catch-all board.

This board restructuring also fails to address which board is the phone board. Right now you have topics scattered across technology, mobile, the PC board, and GI and that's still going to be the case with this restructuring. Now obviously you can't say "don't talk about phones on GI" and there could be good reasons to post a phone thread on the PC board (like if you want to know something about hooking it up to your computer) but in general we really need to make it clear which board is the primary spot to talk about phones.

Posted · Report post

I think the problem was/is Jason that a lot of these boards were(are) never needed. It has only hurt the site having all these boards and all the topics spread too thin. But instead of just removing and deleting all the topics they at least are some where on the boards. So things can change or get fixed as time goes.

I've been starting to fall on the side that we only need 4 to 5 total boards here and just have threads for whatever topics people want to talk about. Keeping the posting as high as we can = more fun. Not spreading out all the users(viewers) across 25+ (some of which are niche) boards.

Posted · Report post

I think the problem was/is Jason that a lot of these boards were(are) never needed. It has only hurt the site having all these boards and all the topics spread too thin. But instead of just removing and deleting all the topics they at least are some where on the boards. So things can change or get fixed as time goes.

I've been starting to fall on the side that we only need 4 to 5 total boards here and just have threads for whatever topics people want to talk about. Keeping the posting as high as we can = more fun. Not spreading out all the users(viewers) across 25+ (some of which are niche) boards.

I agreed with the appropriateness of trimming certain boards but Sex, Health, Relationships + Cars is such an obviously bad idea. And if you want to talk "unnecessary" boards why do we even have a car board? Why not just axe that altogether and fold those topics into GI?