Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

DD2 doesn’t respect your time. Not knowing what to do and having to look shit up isn’t cute or inventive. I like structure. Tell me what the fuck to do and where to do it. 

I played a few online games with him. He was pleasant to me. Never said anything bad.  Of course now I know he does have some problems. 

I never had any issues with him either. He was always nice to me. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

DD2 doesn’t respect your time. Not knowing what to do and having to look shit up isn’t cute or inventive. I like structure. Tell me what the fuck to do and where to do it.  

I wouldn’t say this. I’ve laid out some complaints with the game but you also have to meet the game on its terms. It’s not excessively obtuse and if you want to mainline the game it’s actually very straightforward. 

I have limited time to play games but I love a game that makes me engage with it rather than give me a specific go here do this for the entire premise. 

• True 1

20 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I have limited time to play games but I love a game that makes me engage with it rather than give me a specific go here do this for the entire premise. 

Yes a lot of the appeal and why it was so critically hailed is because it goes against the grain of what so many modern RPGs do. Some of the coolest moments in the game are go to this location and find this thing, like the "Investigate the False Sovran" quest. He was like there's a village here, go have a look. Then you find the village, then you have to talk to the people there then you uncover what you're looking for then some extra stuff, and I thought it was super cool.

There are a lot of fans of the first game that seem to really want to dump on this game but there is no quest like that in the first game.

I was actually trying to refrain from getting into this discussion but I'll lay it out and then that will be that.

Like I said to @Dexterryu earlier in the thread. The main priorities of the game are:

1. The Combat: Right off the bat, much like the first game, the main draw is the combat. Now, the first game seemed to be a bit more floaty, like you could do more launchers and such but I do enjoy the more grounded approach of the second game as well. So if you're complaining about fighting, well then you've come to the wrong game. When I started the first game I said the game was "What if an Elder Scrolls Game but if the combat was fun" and I would say the same for the second game as well.

2. The world exploration. There is so much to find in the game. I go off the beaten path often. Like I said I'm 60 hours into the game, I still haven't gone to the second area and I'm still finding tons of caves and other places I've never explored. I feel like this is also an improvement over the first game. The first game felt a lot more constricted and a lot of the quest were "go here and come back" and narrow canyons with a few places to look around but it felt like a very proof of concept curated world than what Dragon's Dogma 2 is.

3. The story I never felt any connection to. The story is your journey and your pawn more than some gripping narrative, which is fine to me because it gives you time to explore and do side quests and explore and whatever. If you liked Breath of the Wild this is about on par with that game, but with less goofing off imo. And yes I was baffled by the story of the first game which felt like a whole lot of nothing till you got to the end then it was very strange. Not everyone had the luxury to go through that but that's not something that turned me off from the sequel, it made me want to engage with it more.

Overall I would say if you're not feeling it now perhaps come back to the game in a month or a couple of weeks or whatever. Come back with a fresh mind, you know what to expect and like you ( @Paperclyp ) said, can now engage the game on it's own terms instead of expecting it to conform to what you want.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yes a lot of the appeal and why it was so critically hailed is because it goes against the grain of what so many modern RPGs do. Some of the coolest moments in the game are go to this location and find this thing, like the "Investigate the False Sovran" quest. He was like there's a village here, go have a look. Then you find the village, then you have to talk to the people there then you uncover what you're looking for then some extra stuff, and I thought it was super cool.

There are a lot of fans of the first game that seem to really want to dump on this game but there is no quest like that in the first game.

I was actually trying to refrain from getting into this discussion but I'll lay it out and then that will be that.

Like I said to @Dexterryu earlier in the thread. The main priorities of the game are:

1. The Combat: Right off the bat, much like the first game, the main draw is the combat. Now, the first game seemed to be a bit more floaty, like you could do more launchers and such but I do enjoy the more grounded approach of the second game as well. So if you're complaining about fighting, well then you've come to the wrong game. When I started the first game I said the game was "What if an Elder Scrolls Game but if the combat was fun" and I would say the same for the second game as well.

2. The world exploration. There is so much to find in the game. I go off the beaten path often. Like I said I'm 60 hours into the game, I still haven't gone to the second area and I'm still finding tons of caves and other places I've never explored. I feel like this is also an improvement over the first game. The first game felt a lot more constricted and a lot of the quest were "go here and come back" and narrow canyons with a few places to look around but it felt like a very proof of concept curated world than what Dragon's Dogma 2 is.

3. The story I never felt any connection to. The story is your journey and your pawn more than some gripping narrative, which is fine to me because it gives you time to explore and do side quests and explore and whatever. If you liked Breath of the Wild this is about on par with that game, but with less goofing off imo. And yes I was baffled by the story of the first game which felt like a whole lot of nothing till you got to the end then it was very strange. Not everyone had the luxury to go through that but that's not something that turned me off from the sequel, it made me want to engage with it more.

Overall I would say if you're not feeling it now perhaps come back to the game in a month or a couple of weeks or whatever. Come back with a fresh mind, you know what to expect and like you ( @Paperclyp ) said, can now engage the game on it's own terms instead of expecting it to conform to what you want.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

None of what I'm about to say is groundbreaking, it's said much better than I ever could in other articles / blurbs across the web, but I think it's a big reason Dark Souls was such a hit. We had gotten so homogenous in terms of quest / mission design in games, to the point where it felt like game makers didn't respect our ability to figure out harder problems without holding our hand. Or didn't want us to miss some cool part of the game that they worked so hard on so that they needed to make absolute certainly we wouldn't miss it. 

Many people look back on Morrowind so fondly because it encouraged you to figure that shit out, and you had to get there. We made this world, there are some ways to get through it a bit faster, but THIS is the game. You're going from place to place encountering stuff, getting side tracked, maybe you don't fuckin make it cuz you shouldn't have gone there or you weren't as well prepared as you shoulda been or what have you. Those have been my favorite games over the last 10 years or so. Design your game so I don't have a choice - I have to engage with the world / combat / whatever and I can't cheese my way out of it very easy. Cuz I'm stupid like that. I think I would like Skyrim more if I couldn't fast travel - or if it was way more limited. But if it's in there, I'm gonna use it. Save me from myself. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

35 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

None of what I'm about to say is groundbreaking, it's said much better than I ever could in other articles / blurbs across the web, but I think it's a big reason Dark Souls was such a hit. We had gotten so homogenous in terms of quest / mission design in games, to the point where it felt like game makers didn't respect our ability to figure out harder problems without holding our hand. Or didn't want us to miss some cool part of the game that they worked so hard on so that they needed to make absolute certainly we wouldn't miss it. 

Many people look back on Morrowind so fondly because it encouraged you to figure that shit out, and you had to get there. We made this world, there are some ways to get through it a bit faster, but THIS is the game. You're going from place to place encountering stuff, getting side tracked, maybe you don't fuckin make it cuz you shouldn't have gone there or you weren't as well prepared as you shoulda been or what have you. Those have been my favorite games over the last 10 years or so. Design your game so I don't have a choice - I have to engage with the world / combat / whatever and I can't cheese my way out of it very easy. Cuz I'm stupid like that. I think I would like Skyrim more if I couldn't fast travel - or if it was way more limited. But if it's in there, I'm gonna use it. Save me from myself. 

I completely understand what you, @Keyser_Soze and @skillzdadirecta are saying in this thread. But some gamers, including myself and Biggie, don't like the old school way of how games progressed. It's just a matter of opinion and at the end of the day there are games that appeal to everyone. I like being directed in where to go to an extent because I struggle enough with modern games as it is. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I completely understand what you, @Keyser_Soze and @skillzdadirecta are saying in this thread. But some gamers, including myself and Biggie, don't like the old school way of how games progressed. It's just a matter of opinion and at the end of the day there are games that appeal to everyone. I like being directed in where to go to an extent because I struggle enough with modern games as it is. 

Nobody is telling you you can’t have those preferences. But when someone makes a statement like the game doesn’t respect your time, you’re opening it up to debate. The game makes no allusions to what it is, so like I said you have to meet it on its terms. You can say you don’t like it, but if you buy Tetris knowing it’s a game that you try to clear lines in and you’re saying it doesn’t respect your time cuz you want to clear cubes, maybe that’s on you. (I know biggie made that claim I’m just explaining why we responded). 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Nobody is telling you you can’t have those preferences. But when someone makes a statement like the game doesn’t respect your time, you’re opening it up to debate. The game makes no allusions to what it is, so like I said you have to meet it on its terms. You can say you don’t like it, but if you buy Tetris knowing it’s a game that you try to clear lines in and you’re saying it doesn’t respect your time cuz you want to clear cubes, maybe that’s on you. (I know biggie made that claim I’m just explaining why we responded). 

Yea I get it. Biggie should have done more research on the game but I actually bought it for him so he had nothing to lose lol. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I get it. Biggie should have done more research on the game but I actually bought it for him so he had nothing to lose lol. 

Well I also think there’s a non zero chance biggie is just ruffling feathers on purpose lol

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I wouldn’t say this. I’ve laid out some complaints with the game but you also have to meet the game on its terms. It’s not excessively obtuse and if you want to mainline the game it’s actually very straightforward. 

Glad you are enjoying. Me? I’ve uninstalled it. Not for me. 

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Well I also think there’s a non zero chance biggie is just ruffling feathers on purpose lol

Nah. I tried to tell @best3444 repeatedly that I didn’t want the game but he was convinced it would be epic and that I needed to experience it. I really appreciate it but I did research the game before it came out and I knew it wasn’t my type of rpg.  

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Nah. I tried to tell @best3444 repeatedly that I didn’t want the game but he was convinced it would be epic and that I needed to experience it. I really appreciate it but I did research the game before it came out and I knew it wasn’t my type of rpg.  

Yea I'm the one who fucked this up no doubt. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Yea I'm the one who fucked this up no doubt. 

It was very generous and I still appreciate it. I mean without you I would have no idea how ass the game was. 

Spoiler

:troll:

• Sicko 1

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes but there was no secret that this game does not hold your hand in quest progression. I said it SEVERAL times before the game came out and there were plenty of previews and articles that said so as well. The game never misrepresented itself at all so if you go into the game expecting something else despite being told what the game is that's on YOU (the gamer). I'm only responding because I was tagged... I have zero interest in getting into a back and forth. Some of the "critiques" I see in here about this game are WAAAAY off base but to each their own in my opinion :shrug:

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes but there was no secret that this game does not hold your hand in quest progression. I said it SEVERAL times before the game came out and there were plenty of previews and articles that said so as well. The game never misrepresented itself at all so if you go into the game expecting something else despite being told what the game is that's on YOU (the gamer). I'm only responding because I was tagged... I have zero interest in getting into a back and forth. Some of the "critiques" I see in here about this game are WAAAAY off base but to each their own in my opinion :shrug:

Come on let’s go back and forth. 

Cat Attack GIF

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have zero interest in getting into a back and forth. Some of the "critiques" I see in here about this game are WAAAAY off base but to each their own in my opinion :shrug:

There is no reason to go back and forth because the points have been made on both sides. I knew what I was getting into but it was over hyped in reviews in MY opinion. I mean it got a 9.5 from easy allies lol. And yes, I know you don't give a fuck about reviews. :p

I do and I got played. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The quirky sequel isn't perfect, but it deserves to be influential.

Another thing about the first point they made is that you can equip passives from every vocation no matter the class, like Mage has a magic defense passive. You can be a warrior and equip the same passive if want super duper defense. The archer's weak point one is another good one too, for instance.

• Halal 1

One thing I wish they'd lay off of a bit is the anti-fun shit they have with warfarer. It sucks massive dick that switching weapons costs a skill slot and it sucks that you can't use the giga skills from each vocation. It's an anti-fun mechanic designed around a balance that the game already lacks. NG+ doesn't even get harder, and the base game is already on easy mode.

And the decision to completely separate ranged from melee is just bad. It feels like it was done simply to add warfarer into the game. They made the game less convenient for no good reason. They give you fewer options in combat for no good reason.

• True 1

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The quirky sequel isn't perfect, but it deserves to be influential.

I find the Character freedom section funny because they took away a lot of character freedom.

Meaningful travel? Yeah, no. The game gives you like 6 or 7 port crystals, and then has side quests that are designed to either waste your time or Ferrystones. Most of the sphinx quest's tasks seem to exist to eat at your fast travel tokens. And then there is the quest, "A Candle in the Storm". And going from Cat Capital to Human Capital is just sitting in ox carts because you don't want to waste ferrystones. It's just fast travel with extra septs.

DD1 has the cool feature of being the size of one zone, so walking anywhere pretty much takes no time at all, especially with how fast you could move in the first game.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

I'm about to beat the game - kinda. And I am surprised to have never seen the plague. BUT I have seen it almost happen, I just didn't let it. It's pretty cool seeing a pawn get picked up and get mind fucked by a drake. The treasure chest thing is super annoying, and so is the main pawn acting like a support pawn, totally immersion-breaking for me.

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh. Any chance your Pawn got Brined at some point afterward?

Well, I did throw my pawn in the water as a precaution but they managed to swim out, and didn't get brined. So I said fuck it let's see if this goes down. And it didn't.

Supposedly the turnaround on it is 10 days until it gets out of control and yeah I've had nothing, not even warning signs.

45 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I understand you have to be very oblivious to get to the point where dragonsplague wipes out a city. I've still never gotten it so it's a bit saddening to see they are lowering the frequency for the dummies out there.

What do you do to stop dragonsplague? I'm finally starting this tomorrow morning