The Mariners

thewhyteboar

Opening weekend 😬 Juan Soto is a bad man and he’s ripped my heart out before (see the 2019 WS when the Astros fielded maybe the great lineup ever and two SPs who struck out 300+ and then lose to a wild card team 😭😭😭😭). 

Last night though was incredible. Ronel Blanco was a 23 year old dude who signed for $5,000 while working as a car wash attendant. He was thought to most likely be one of the AAAA guys who is too good for the minors, but maybe only good enough to be a low leverage MLB reliever.

Dana Brown gets hired to be the Astros GM last year and one of the first few things he mentions during spring trading is that he wants to see the player dev guys get Blanco stretched out because he views him as a starter. 2023 kicks off with back to back injuries to rotation guys and Blanco gets a few spot starts, but eventually is back in AAA.

This spring he adds a new change up to the mix which looked great in his spring appearances. On the final day of spring training, Blanco’s wife gives birth to a new baby girl and he starts that night. He has a great 10k performance, and walking off the mound Joe Espada tells him he made the starting rotation!

A week later he throws a no-hitter the earliest anyone has ever thrown one in an MLB season. 

I love baseball. The path to the show is u like anything else in American pro sports, and it makes these sorts of moments particularly special to watch.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The A's appear close to severing ties with Oakland and making a minor league ballpark their interim home before the expected move to Las Vegas.

The Triple A’s confirm its status by agreeing to playing in a AAA stadium for three years.  Talk about an owner who gives zero fucks about its players and employees. 

8 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.ESPN.COM

The A's appear close to severing ties with Oakland and making a minor league ballpark their interim home before the expected move to Las Vegas.

The Triple A’s confirm its status by agreeing to playing in a AAA stadium for three years.  Talk about an owner who gives zero fucks about its players and employees. 

Interesting that greedy ass Fisher will let that TV money go.

49 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Interesting that greedy ass Fisher will let that TV money go.

I assume he knows what the renegotiated price will be and Ranadive will cover some or all of the difference. 

I seen somewhere that the average player career down to something like 2 1/2 years now because of injuries derailing young players. Which must make owners happy as they will never get to arbitration for some of these players that might command higher dollars. 

Yankees are good. Soto is good. Angel Hernandez is trash. How this guy continues to Ump is beyond me.  Every game is a horror show with him behind the plate. #Bringintherobots

• True 1

21 hours ago, Littleronin said:

I seen somewhere that the average player career down to something like 2 1/2 years now because of injuries derailing young players. Which must make owners happy as they will never get to arbitration for some of these players that might command higher dollars. 

So the pitch clock is really a conspiracy by the owners to pay players less 

The Astros are averaging a staggering 1 hit given up per game in their wins this season.

Unfortunately, that is because they only have three wins, lol. They have had a lead or been tied in all but two games in the 7th inning, but have been very uneven offensively and the bullpen has been a trainwreck.

But Ronel Blanco followed his no-hitter with 5.2 IP of no-hit ball tonight, ending the day with 6IP, 1 hit, and 0 runs. What a GREAT call by Astros GM, Dana Brown, who round the third day of his first spring training with the club told the coaching staff to begin stretching him out because he has starter stuff. One of Brown's real strong suits in Atlanta was minor league player development, and I'm happy to see that it has translated to his time so far in the Astros org.

Chamber Valdez was scratched from his start yesterday with elbow soreness (siiiiiiggggghhhhhhhh), so the Astros call up an absolute nobody despite having some good AAA arms.

The kid gets one out, gives up 5 runs, and it pulled with the bases loaded and the score 5-2 in favor of the Rangers. The Astros then proceed to throw 8.2 IP if scoreless ball by the bullpen, who have to this point cost the Astros 5 wins, and the offense explodes for 8 unanswered runs.

The AAA call up, Henley, will likely never pitch in the MLB again, but can forever say he was a big leaguer. He will probably leave out his 135 career ERA out of the story 😂

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Chamber Valdez was scratched from his start yesterday with elbow soreness (siiiiiiggggghhhhhhhh), so the Astros call up an absolute nobody despite having some good AAA arms.

The kid gets one out, gives up 5 runs, and it pulled with the bases loaded and the score 5-2 in favor of the Rangers. The Astros then proceed to throw 8.2 IP if scoreless ball by the bullpen, who have to this point cost the Astros 5 wins, and the offense explodes for 8 unanswered runs.

The AAA call up, Henley, will likely never pitch in the MLB again, but can forever say he was a big leaguer. He will probably leave out his 135 career ERA out of the story 😂

Even one day on the active roster gets him in the union and I forget what exactly but some sort of life long benefit like access to health insurance or something. So he gets something out of it besides being able to tell his grandkids he was a big leaguer for a day.

1 hour ago, Brian said:
WWW.ESPN.COM

Red Sox shortstop Trevor Story will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a fracture in his shoulder.

To think Red Sox let Mookie walk only to use that freed up money to sign Story

Frustrated World Cup GIF

In my opinion pitchers are like running backs. No way I’d over pay for one. The risk far out weighs the benefits. Give me an everyday great position player every time. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

In my opinion pitchers are like running backs. No way I’d over pay for one. The risk far out weighs the benefits. Give me an everyday great position player every time. 

Trevor Story is a shortstop :p