Trump releases abortion position: celebrates Roe v. Wade being overturned, issue left to the states. Pro-life groups respond

After all the hype, as usual, he fails to deliver anything meaningful. The story of his presidency (well, besides an insurrection).

WWW.NPR.ORG

Pressure has mounted on Trump to make his own views on abortion public after the Florida Supreme Court allowed the state's six-week ban on abortion to go into effect.

"My view is now that we have abortion where everybody wanted it from a legal standpoint, the states will determine by vote or legislation or perhaps both, and whatever they decide must be the law of the land. In this case, the law of the state," Trump said in a video posted on Truth, his social media platform.

The move comes as an increasing number of Republican-led states have worked to restrict abortion rights. Last week, the Florida Supreme Court allowed the state's six-week ban on abortion to go into effect May 1; that's before most women know they're pregnant.

Pressure mounted on Trump to make his own views on abortion public. He said last week an announcement would come this week. The announcement is unlikely to make the most ardent supporters of abortion restrictions happy. They had hoped Trump would support a 15-week ban on abortions nationwide.

Major pro-life group: Trump "cede[d] the national debate to the Democrats."

In a statement following Trump’s announcement on Monday, Marjorie Dannenfelser, the president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, said her organization was “deeply disappointed” by Trump’s statement.

“Saying the issue is ‘back to the states’ cedes the national debate to the Democrats who are working relentlessly to enact legislation mandating abortion throughout all nine months of pregnancy. If successful, they will wipe out states’ rights,” she said.

Rand Paul's chief strategist:

I’m not sure a major candidate has ever produced a worse statement on Life than the one I just watched.

I’ll believe it when he screams about it on his social media and not a scripted video. And even then I don’t believe it. He also said he wouldn’t support social security and Medicare cuts but still put people in power and supported budgets that would do exactly that. 

mf is the definition of “will say anything to get in power”

32 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This could very well be the most "intelligent" position for him to take for the general election as it effectively maintains the status quo.

Which is unpopular. And he was just touting a 15-week ban, which makes me wonder how many other positions he'll have before November.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

All of them.

I think you're right!

Election's a coin flip, but the one thing I'm sure of as of now is that there's no good position for Republicans to take after Roe v. Wade was overturned, besides just supporting making abortion rights the law since I don't even know if that would cost him support from his base at this point.

47 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This could very well be the most "intelligent" position for him to take for the general election as it effectively maintains the status quo.

It's the slightly "less scary" thing to say, but it's also the least "Christian nationalist" thing to say which will piss off his core voters. Given that his general election appeal isn't likely to move much up or down, that might be a worse idea for him.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

pretty much. He’s not gonna lose the pro-life christian nationalists and may draw in some “independents” who aren’t affected because their state hasn’t outlawed abortion or went to war on women reproductive health.  The “he’s not coming for my rights, so he’s not a problem” way of seeing political issues. 

19 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

His cultists will never leave him, but this is the one thing I believe would make the rest of the republicans turn on him. 

But what does that really mean?  Turn on him in favor of what?  Those R's aren't about to cross party lines, nor is this more likely to make them stay at home and refrain from voting, not when they see the left capitalizing on national sentiments regarding the issue.

54 minutes ago, GoldenTongue said:

But what does that really mean?  Turn on him in favor of what?  Those R's aren't about to cross party lines, nor is this more likely to make them stay at home and refrain from voting, not when they see the left capitalizing on national sentiments regarding the issue.

It’s analogous to the Biden/Israel conflict. It could motivate people to stay home if it’s a prime issue for them.

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Since 1999, Trump has been on just about every side of the abortion issue. Here's a timeline of his many positions.

Donald Trump’s video statement on abortion Monday — saying the legalities around the procedure should be up to the states — came after months of his publicly and privately discussing the possibility of a federal abortion ban. 

Trump’s positions on abortion have been a roller coaster for decades. At one point in 2015, during his run for president, he took “five positions on abortion in three days,” according to the Washington Post and detailed by NBC News at the time.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It’s analogous to the Biden/Israel conflict. It could motivate people to stay home if it’s a prime issue for them.

Although Trump has the benefit of a literal cult following who will always hear what they want to hear regardless of what he actually says.

Plus a lot of them also don't give a shit what he personally says on abortion since he delivered them a SCOTUS majority that overturned Roe.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Although Trump has the benefit of a literal cult following who will always hear what they want to hear regardless of what he actually says.

Plus a lot of them also don't give a shit what he personally says on abortion since he delivered them a SCOTUS majority that overturned Roe.

Yeah. That’s why I differentiated between the cultists and the rest of the party :P

I hope that ad is broadcast far and wide! I'm tired of the general population's naivety when it comes to pregnancies. I hope they follow up with more stories from other women so assholes can see how common this is. Fuck anybody who wants to come between a women and her doctor!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I hope that ad is broadcast far and wide! I'm tired of the general population's naivety when it comes to pregnancies. I hope they follow up with more stories from other women so assholes can see how common this is. Fuck anybody who wants to come between a women and her doctor!

Most Republicans think abortion is used as birth control by 20 year old sorority girls. They have no idea the average abortion patient is a woman in her early 30s and already has kids.

I hope this ad is a punch in their fucking guts.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

They should have aired it yesterday during Iowa vs South Carolina.