What are you playing today?

2 chapters away from beating FF 16. This playthrough has been much more enjoyable as I completely ignored any side stuff and just rode along the story. It’s a really good action game. If you play it like I am and come to terms It’s not a traditional RPG FF, it's a 9/10 game. 

I’m on holiday so I’ve brought my switch with me and cracking on with Pokemon Violet. I’ve finished all the gyms, found all the herbs, and have one Star base to go. I just want to level up a Dratini into a Dragonite, then I’ll see out the various storylines. 

Update: just been levelling up and now my whole team is between 62 and 68. Probably time to go fight the end bosses and then delete this silly, silly game. Might go back to Tears of the Kingdom and wrap that up, or make an equally silly move and play Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie, or Majora’s Mask and try and compete them for the first time ever. 

• Like 1

Back to my full time job playing games so time to decide what to play as my main game. So I’ll play some DD2, Horizon FW, LAD Infinite Wealth, Mirage, etc to see what lands. For my tv/handheld time it’s Peach and Pepper Grinder (which is fantastic!)

But first, it’s Eddie time!

I recently got back into Bravely Default. Yeah, the first one. On 3DS. 

Why?

Well, I had thought I had this one beaten already. But I stumbled across some info online and…apparently I got the FALSE ending my first time around?!?! There are multiple endings in this game. Huh. Did I not know this before, or did I forget?

Anyway, I did some things different from my last save and…yeah, there’s more adventure left! Like, a lot of it. So I’m back to this old game…which to my surprise is over 10 years old at this point.

That fact makes me feel older than I’d care to admit. :( 

• Hugs 1

Now Pokemon is done, I’ve got a gulf in my life so I’ve dipped back into Tears of the Kingdom. I’ve just got the Master Sword and now have the vaguely overwhelming task of getting suitable armour, weapons, stats, meals, general upgrades to be ready for the endgame. 

I think I’ll buy something a bit more streamlined tomorrow that I can play over the Easter holidays - I keep returning back to Mario RPG and Bayonetta 3 (which I still haven’t grabbed) so maybe I’ll get them tomorrow.

More Zelda, I’ve started to get the Fierce Diety Set, which I’ll upgrade to level 2. Then, using a guide as I don’t care at this point, I’ll get myself a load of Shrines and upgrades and think about the end game. 

I bought Pikmin 4 today. I’ve had a strange relationship with the series. I love the premise, but the gameplay has never really matched up with what I hoped. This apparently streamlines and irons out the issues with 3, keeping the overall charm. Either way, it’s been a classic slow start, but I can see the systems in place that are coming and I’m liking it. I just hope I get a way of returning Pikmin to me after doing a job without having to literally go and collect them.

I’ve been playing different games trying to find something that I want to stick with.

I played Absolver which is a 3D beat ‘em up, but despite looking and playing pretty good it lacks story and characterization and kind of feels like a tech demo.

I played Forgone which is a 2.5D side scrolling action platformer with some Soulslike elements. I was enjoying it for a while, but it became kind of difficult which made me quit playing.

I played Just Cause 3 which is a decent third person open world action/shooter/blow up everything game, but I don’t like the character that you play as (Rico Rodriguez) so I stopped playing.

Now I’m playing A Space for the Unbound which is a 2D side scrolling pixel art narrative adventure game with mini-games and puzzles. The story and characters are interesting, and it has charm. I plan on finishing it.

36 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve been playing different games trying to find something that I want to stick with.

I played Absolver which is a 3D beat ‘em up, but despite looking and playing pretty good it lacks story and characterization and kind of feels like a tech demo.

I played Forgone which is a 2.5D side scrolling action platformer with some Soulslike elements. I was enjoying it for a while, but it became kind of difficult which made me quit playing.

I played Just Cause 3 which is a decent third person open world action/shooter/blow up everything game, but I don’t like the character that you play as (Rico Rodriguez) so I stopped playing.

Now I’m playing A Space for the Unbound which is a 2D side scrolling pixel art narrative adventure game with mini-games and puzzles. The story and characters are interesting, and it has charm. I plan on finishing it.

You need a PlayStation 5 bad man. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

You need a PlayStation 5 bad man. 

IKR. I’m kind of regretting buying so many PS4 digital/indie games because I don’t have much of an interest in playing a lot of them now. I would much rather be playing PS5 games like Alone in the Dark, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Baldur’s Gate III, Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden, Dead Island II, Dragon’s Dogma II, Forspoken, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Rise of the Ronin, Spider-Man 2, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, SteelRising, Stellar Blade, etc.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

IKR. I’m kind of regretting buying so many PS4 digital/indie games because I don’t have much of an interest in playing a lot of them now. I would much rather be playing PS5 games like Alone in the Dark, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Baldur’s Gate III, Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden, Dead Island II, Dragon’s Dogma II, Forspoken, Gotham Knights, Hogwarts Legacy, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Rise of the Ronin, Spider-Man 2, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, SteelRising, Stellar Blade, etc.

You are going to be so happy when you get the Pro. Just a plethora amount of games to play it's unreal. 

23 hours ago, best3444 said:

You are going to be so happy when you get the Pro. Just a plethora amount of games to play it's unreal. 

Yeah, and all of the ones that I currently want will be cheap by the time that I get it.

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, since my Dualsense shit the bed, I'm playing Open Roads over on Gamepass. Always up for one of these narrative heavy Annapurna Interactive games.

What happened to your controller? I feel like my right stick is starting to drift a bit.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What happened to your controller? I feel like my right stick is starting to drift a bit.

Left stick is suffering from some wild drift and jittering. Enough that even using DS4Windows and maxing out the dead zone won't stop it from drifting. This controller has less than a hundred hours on it. Forbidden West is literally only the second game I've ever played on it, and the first was that Seasons game where you're riding your bike and taking pictures of everything.

I took it apart. Used contact cleaner on the sticks. Nothing. I've got some new hall effect replacement sticks coming in later this week. Should just be a quick solder job. Really would have been nice if they'd gone with screws and a ribbon to make swapping this out nice and easy.

I started playing Dragon Quest Heroes and while the graphics and gameplay are good, the game itself is an extremely repetitive stage based enemy horde battler nothing like the Dragon Quest RPGs.

I heard that Dragon Quest Heroes II was more of an RPG by comparison, so I started playing it. It’s definitely better with more RPG elements, but is still more of an action game than an RPG. However, it has enough RPG elements to make it more than just a pure enemy horde battler like the first game so it’s holding my interest for now.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:28 AM, TheLeon said:

Still bouncing around between too many games. Nothing is sticking. At least I’m going through Game Pass/PS+/my library and not feeling this while buying a bunch of new games. 

Unbelievably, the game that’s finally hooked me: Death Stranding: Director’s Cut. 

• Hype 1