New COD (Steam) showing up as DLC? Confused

Hand76

21 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m playing on PS5 and this UI is a cluster fuck of confusing dog shit. Jesus who designed this crap. 

Normally I'd say that it looks like it was put together by a committee, but not even a committee -- no matter how incompetent -- could possibly come up with something as absolutely unusable as the CoD HQ UI appears to be.

• True 1

Looks like some frustrated Sledgehammer developers gave Jason Schreier a call:

New ‘Call of Duty’ Draws Harsh Reviews After Rushed Development (Bloomberg)

The latest entry in Activision Blizzard's popular Call of Duty video-game series was made in half the time of previous iterations, a fact that may be contributing to a spate of bad reviews about the game’s storyline, according to people familiar with the development process.

Critics have panned the game, the first big release since Microsoft Corp. closed its $69 billion acquisition of Activision last month, saying the storyline feels rushed. Most Call of Duty games are developed in around three years, but the bulk of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, which comes out Friday, was made in less than a year and a half, said the people, who asked to not be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. The abridged production schedule proved stressful for the development team, they said.

The process was hurried because this year’s game was conceived to fill a gap in the release schedule following the delay of another Call of Duty title previously planned for 2023. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III was originally pitched to staff at Foster City, California-based developer Sledgehammer Games as an expansion to last year’s title, but it morphed into a full sequel during development, Bloomberg earlier reported.

An Activision spokesman denied that Modern Warfare III was originally an expansion and said it was conceived as a “premium game” from the start. But more than a dozen current and former Call of Duty developers said that conflicts with what they were told at the time. Some of the employees said the plan was left ambiguous during the first few months of development, while others said they were directly told it was an expansion. All said they were under the impression it was an expansion until much later in the process.

Some staff at Sledgehammer, who had to work nights and weekends to finish the game, said they felt betrayed by the company because they were promised they wouldn’t have to go through another shortened timeline after the release of their previous game, Call of Duty: Vanguard, which was made under a similarly constrained development cycle.

For the first few months of the project, which was codenamed Jupiter, the story was conceived as a smaller-scale Modern Warfare spinoff set in Mexico that would be more achievable on a short timeline than the usual globe-trotting escapades of a full new campaign. But in the summer of last year, Activision executives rebooted that story, and told the developers that instead they would be making a direct sequel to Modern Warfare II centering on the villain Vladimir Makarov and featuring missions all across the world.

The reboot ate into the schedule and forced the developers to complete the new campaign in roughly 16 months — the shortest development time for a new Call of Duty game in years.

After Call of Duty: Vanguard, developers at Sledgehammer had originally pitched a project codenamed Anvil that would be set in the universe of the company’s futuristic 2014 game Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, according to the people familiar. But before it could get very far, Anvil was shelved as the company was informed it was instead working on another Modern Warfare.

The nature of this new release was left hazy, but the scope was ambitious and included an update to the popular zombies mode, several multiplayer maps and a single-player campaign. Few developers were surprised when they were later told that the release would be a sequel to last year’s Modern Warfare II, but the shortened cycle took a toll on Sledgehammer’s staff.

Developers also said they were frustrated at having to run their content by executives from Infinity Ward, the Activision studio that’s normally responsible for the Modern Warfare series.

Staff on the game said they dealt with inefficiencies waiting on feedback and making significant and sometimes unwanted changes based on directives from above.

@Hand76

Activision's rollout of the new "Call of Duty HQ" launcher has been anything but elegant. The HQ, which is really just a rebranded frontend for a single CoD game, is the only way to launch the new Modern Warfare 3, and until yesterday, that process was a real slog. To play MW3, you had to first launch the CoD HQ, then click MW3, then return to the desktop, then wait for the actual game you wanted to play to boot.

That's now been reversed by a patch deployed on the eve of Modern Warfare 3's full release: Launching "Call of Duty" now takes you to the front end of Modern Warfare 3 (whether you actually own it or not), and switching over to last year's MW2 or Warzone now requires a return to desktop first. Essentially, MW3 is now the homepage of CoD, making the launch process easy for folks making the leap to the new game, but simultaneously much worse for the hundreds of thousands of people who prefer to stick to Warzone, DMZ, or Modern Warfare 2.

No matter what mindset I try to place myself in, the decision is just mind-boggling. I can't think of another instance in the history of videogames where you've been required to launch a different game you may not own or want in order to get to a game you've owned for a year. It essentially takes twice as long to launch Warzone on PC than it did last week, and yet Activision claims the HQ makes our lives easier.

• Haha 2
  • Sicko 1

So after going crazy last year getting my MW2 stats the way I like em for my OCD...

I load up the game today and find my MW2 rank 65 reset back to 1 and think my stats got reset too cause I am locked out of them like I never played before 😂

This is crazy. How are things going to carry over from MW2 to 3 if your shit gets reset??

MP1ST.COM

Call of Duty players across Warzone and MW2 have seen their stats, progression and COD Points reset due to pre-ordering Modern Warfare 3!

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

The UI and menus are so damn cluttered. I have yet to really dig in and try to customize weapons even after unlocking upgrades. There are so many weapons to scroll through. Will I even bother with half of them? I’m getting plenty of kills with all the default weapons. I did equip my Little Caesars “Hot N Ready” calling card though :lol:

• Hype 1

On 11/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, best3444 said:

He got banned? 

After viewing a lot of his videos today I can kinda agree with this. The novelty ran oht quickly. 

exactly!!

Only moderately tolerable in very small doses and still his "Character" runs out it's welcome in mere minutes!!

• 2 weeks later...

"Campaign players putting in more time per player in MWIII than previous two installments"

A strange metric. I'm sure when people said it was short and sucked that got more people to "put in more time" just to see it. From what I understand Vanguard's campaign sucked. I dunno, I'm already thinking about it too much. :/

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's specifically referring to Modern Warfare Zombies as the "third mode" after the single-player campaign and multiplayer :p

Right, so this is the “most engaging”, but only in Modern Warfare history, not COD overall. So were there zombie modes in non-MW COD games that were more popular? What other “third modes” have the MW games had? It's so specific. And it’s endlessly funny to me that we now have two Modern Warfare trilogies within this dumb franchise. 

• True 1

15 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Right, so this is the “most engaging”, but only in Modern Warfare history, not COD overall. So were there zombie modes in non-MW COD games that were more popular? What other “third modes” have the MW games had? It's so specific. And it’s endlessly funny to me that we now have two Modern Warfare trilogies within this dumb franchise. 

The third mode in the MW series is the co-op Special Ops, which in the original MW2 and 3 were very fun, custom missions you played with a friend to get three stars in each. In this new series though it's rather lacklustre and half baked.