Boomer Panic

SuperSpreader

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I hate how the trend nowadays (if I'd like to participate in the generation wars which I absolutely do it's mostly gen z) is to give stupid names to normal things they have seemingly encountered for the first time.

This definitely seems like a thing every generation says about every previous generation 

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I hate how the trend nowadays (if I'd like to participate in the generation wars which I absolutely do it's mostly gen z) is to give stupid names to normal things they have seemingly encountered for the first time.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Season 3 Roast GIF by Paramount+

• Haha 1

Whether she's telling the truth or not, you should see old people react to shit like walking into a McDonald's an seeing a big touch screen. They start swearing up a fucking storm and acting like someone fucked their mom in front of them. I've seen it multiple times, they're also terrible at self-checkout and freak the fuck out when they can't figure out how to scan their bananas.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SmugPrick said:

i love that we clown on older generations, but the reality is, in 25 years we will all have the same problems adapting to whatever future tech exists. just the way it is. 

We are a bunch of nerds on a video game message board. We will be fine. The people having this issue now weren’t the tech nerds from the 80s they were the yuppies. 

• True 1

One big generational difference here that I think causes a lot of this is that younger generations grew up troubleshooting these digital things and quickly learned the important lesson that computers don’t always work correctly.

They just don’t and they never will and it’s impossible to make it so. There is too much going on and it’s a miracle that they work at all. Sometimes stuff will just randomly perform incorrectly.

Older people are used to more analog where it works or it doesn’t and if it doesn’t work it’s really obvious why and what needs to be done, even if you don’t know exactly how to do it. A computer can decide to just not work correctly and there will be nothing physical or obvious to point to.

And I think, importantly, there is nobody to really blame. I think a lot of boomers like to deal with disappointment by using blame, a lot of their racism is that, and it carries over to things like dealing with technology. They are mad and usually only can blame themselves for not quite understanding what to do, and that sets them off more than anything. “It just happens sometimes” isn’t something they are keen to accept.

You never want a boomer IT boss like that because they will expect a kind of 99.99999% perfect uptime that will never be achievable in reality. 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

One big generational difference here that I think causes a lot of this is that younger generations grew up troubleshooting these digital things and quickly learned the important lesson that computers don’t always work correctly.

They just don’t and they never will and it’s impossible to make it so. There is too much going on and it’s a miracle that they work at all. Sometimes stuff will just randomly perform incorrectly.

Older people are used to more analog where it works or it doesn’t and if it doesn’t work it’s really obvious why and what needs to be done, even if you don’t know exactly how to do it. A computer can decide to just not work correctly and there will be nothing physical or obvious to point to.

And I think, importantly, there is nobody to really blame. I think a lot of boomers like to deal with disappointment by using blame, a lot of their racism is that, and it carries over to things like dealing with technology. They are mad and usually only can blame themselves for not quite understanding what to do, and that sets them off more than anything. “It just happens sometimes” isn’t something they are keen to accept.

You never want a boomer IT boss like that because they will expect a kind of 99.99999% perfect uptime that will never be achievable in reality. 

The other thing is we grew up with relatively quick technological change in consumer electronics and computers. It's infinitely easier to learn a third language if you grew up bilingual than to learn a second language if you grew up monolingual. I think there's a similar thing going on where if you went from blowing in Nintendo cartridges as a kid to getting your first smartphone at 20 (and the incremental steps you took along the way there, like pre-smartphone camera phones) you're used to picking up something new and poking at it to figure out how it works than if it was just TVs and typewriters until you were 30+ and then all of a sudden you have to figure out how to deal with say a Mac II.

Gaming definitely adds to the comfort there too, think about how if you pick up a new game or a new console (and thus new controller) it's second nature to sit down and just move the joystick around to get a feel for how your character moves and press all the buttons to see what happens before you start trying to play for real, vs how if you hand a complete non-gamer TotK they're going to have absolutely no idea what they should be doing and will likely be too ovewhelmed to try to figure it out on their own.

• Halal 1