Which Zelda is your fav?

Biggie

BotW vs TotK  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Zelda do you enjoy more?

• Breath of the Wild
    • Tears of the Kingdom
    • Other ( be specific )

Even early on I’m confident saying TOTK > BOTW. I’m a huge fan of 2D Zelda and my favorites are probably LTTP, Links Awakening, and Minish.  Then OOT. TOTK might beat OOT, we will C.

Edit, to be clear, my overall favorite is Link to the past, it’s one of my all time favorite games

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

TOTK is easily better than BOTW.

However, my favorite Zelda game ever and most likely always will be is Ocarina of Time. 

OoT is a very close second. Such good memories playing on the 3DS. 

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

OoT is a very close second. Such good memories playing on the 3DS. 

I remember the day I got OOT on release day like it was yesterday. I was a junior in HS and a few friends came over to watch me play it for the first time. Can't beat those types of memories.

• Hugs 1

Link to the past > Link Between Worlds > OoT > BotW > Wind Waker > everything else.

When I finish TotK I'm pretty certain it will be 1 or 2. It will be hard for anything to top LttP, I replay it every year or 2 I've beaten it easily 10+ times it just holds up so well. The soundtrack is awesome most of the newer music in the series is just remixed versions of ones that came from LttP.

1. Tears of the Kingdom. Not finished but nothing beats the adventure you feel in this game.

2. Breath of the Wild. Previously a new standard for how to do open world games, but TotK is just this but better.

3. Ocarina of Time. There are a handful of games that just felt like magic. This is one of them. (The two above it are, incidentally, also in that small list :p )

4. Links Awakening. I only played the remake but was very pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. Just plain fun.

5. Skyward Sword. Not great, but solid.

For some reason, I have never been able to get into A Link to the Past. I don't know why, it seems like it should work for me. Will probably try yet again at some point in the future to see if that changes. I never cared for the Wind Waker games for some reason. I'm also the rare person that kind of hated Majora's Mask.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

For for me it will probably always be Ocarina of Time. I liked Breath of the Wild well enough until it got boring, but it eventually did (it doesn't help that I'm a bit of a completionist and I thought doing 120 shrines wouldn't be that big of a deal. At least I saw how many korok seeds there were before attempting them and was like "...nope")

I love how tight and focused Ocarina of Time is. There's enough freedom that you have to occasionally ask yourself "what am I supposed to do?" But once you get locked in it's like a game within a game.

• Like 1

Breath of the Wild just had some problems for me that hamper the experience enough that I’m surprised it’s consistently not only rated as the best zelda game but the best game ever (prior to tears). 

I think the open world feels pretty empty on the whole despite having some great areas. I think the dungeon equivalents are mediocre. When compared to like OOT or LTTP or some of the other games in the series, at least at the times of release, it just wasn’t firing on all cylinders for me. At the same time I respect the hell out of it and the atmosphere at times is out of this world. I have nothing against it, it just surprises me that that’s the narrative around the game. 

Tears may live up to that rep for me tho. 

• Halal 2

It may just be Breath of the Wild still (for now)

the building mechanics and more lively community of hyrule as seen in TOTK may change that once its over.. but so far despite BOTW feeling “emptier there is still something about the Guardians, Champions that works “better” for me at the moment… BOTW is simpler no doubt but spending so much time on menus attaching crap to do functions that were simpler before..

Once Tears of the Kingdom is done im sure I will change my tune..

Twilight Princess is my favorite of the “classic” Zeldas

22 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Twilight Princess is my favorite of the “classic” Zeldas

Twilight Princess was the first one where they started to really make some progress on the world not feeling empty. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Previously a new standard for how to do open world games

I've never understood this. It's just an open world like any other. It even has viewpoints that fill in the map. If you like it, fine whatever, but a new standard? Hardly.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I've never understood this. It's just an open world like any other. It even has viewpoints that fill in the map. If you like it, fine whatever, but a new standard? Hardly.

No game has used visual language better than these two games, nor fulfilled the cliche’d promise of “if you can see it you can go there.” 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

What BotW proved was that you don't need an open world game to be a series of checklists, arrows, and a map of icons. In other open world games, if you're looking for someone, you don't even have to listen to the NPCs. They'll give you a hint and the location will just pop up on your map. In BotW, NPCs will give you in world directions and leave you to figure it out on your own. Those viewpoints only fill in the names of streets and natural landmarks. In BotW, I went for some 60 hours before I even discovered that there was a beach town down in Lurelin Village. You can hit the tower, but no towns or villages will show up. No points of interest. You're on your own to figure that out or maybe see if you can spot something in the distance.

That's the standard BotW set. You can do open world without holding a player's hand as long as you make the world engaging and fun to traverse with tons of little surprises scattered about.

The last bit is what TotK does better than BotW. TotK has a lot more surprises scattered about and there's a lot more variety in what you can find out there.

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I've written a fair amount about why BotW was so different on this board in the past, but I'm not sure I have it in me to do it again :p Suffice it to say I've thought a lot about why it was so different. If you didn't like it, those things might not stand out to you though.

31 minutes ago, Bacon said:

It's innovative because not only is it open but you have FREEDOM to beat the game in 15 minutes the innovative weapon breaking system and system where you freeze in the cold after 10 seconds :angry-fap-small:

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

They'll give you a hint and the location will just pop up on your map. In BotW, NPCs will give you in world directions and leave you to figure it out on your own.

Pretty sure if you track a quest it will tell you exactly where to go.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Those viewpoints only fill in the names of streets and natural landmarks

No? When you climb the towers it fills in the whole area around it.

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You can hit the tower, but no towns or villages will show up

Oh, I mean, I guess, but if there is a quest there it adds a marker like it does for when you need to find impa.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

If you didn't like it, those things might not stand out to you though.

Well, yeah. I mean, this stuff that you guys are talking about literally makes no difference in my mind. I find it pretty hard to care that the "village here" map marker doesn't show up until you visit it as most places don't require you to search for them. You just track whatever quest and you know where it is anyway. The game still tells you where to go unless you are specifically not given the direction like with some of the shrines.

And just in general, I can't actually think of anything that was actually worth discovering. It's just shrines and enemy camps all the way down. See that mountain, well I don't care about climbing it. `tcl and I'm flying around it. Part of me just feels like people are fooled by the pleasant atmosphere and ambiance. Like they are in a Minecraft or Animal Crossing world.

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, yeah. I mean, this stuff that you guys are talking about literally makes no difference in my mind. I find it pretty hard to care that the "village here" map marker doesn't show up until you visit it as most places don't require you to search for them. You just track whatever quest and you know where it is anyway. The game still tells you where to go unless you are specifically not given the direction like with some of the shrines.

Yes, the game some times points out where to go. But that's not really a counter argument. In fact, BotW straight up tells you exactly where to go to "finish" the game after the tutorial area. It's not even subtle: you're directly told and It's the giant castle in the center of the map viewable by nearly everywhere. And you can in fact go right there and finish the game. This is in fact a strength that adds to the value of exploration and adventure. The interplay of what is communicated to you, what is required vs what is optional, and how things can be discovered is wildly important and you can't boil the analysis down to simple context-free bullet points "it does x" to properly understand it. Even if we have the deeper discussion though, it's still not going to make you like it, which is why I don't think having the extended discussion is going to be very worthwhile for anyone :p 

Bacon you're wrong, I dont even like open world games but botw was incredible. Like others have said the magic is in just go do whatever the fuck you want, go wherever you want. 

Give a controller to a person who has never played a video game, within 10 seconds you'll hear "why can't I go there?" We as gamers have come to expect invisible walls because we know "the rules" of video games: time constraints/budget etc force you down a certain path. Botw and TotK say FUCK THAT, you see it you can do it and the only thing stopping you is your imagination.

• Halal 1

The whole go anywhere thing really doesn't mean much to me. I mean, you can't actually go "anywhere" in botw specifically because there are things you can't climb, which would be pointless to do tho. And while you can go"anywhere" for all intents and purposes, you can't do everything. I don't really care where I can go when there is no reason to go. I'm not having fun finding nothing simply because I can. I'm mostly interested in all the things I can do. BOTW, Link can't really do much and so the player can't. Sure, go anywhere but you aren't going to be doing anything there.

And no. When you give a controller to someone, the first thing they are going to do is try and attack an NPC they can't kill to see if they can. At least that has been my experience with children gamers. I don't know how many times I have been asked to fight that guy" followed up by "go find someone you can fight." You don't even have to be told to stomp on a goomba. You just do it.

My favorite open world games are games like GTA because almost everything you can go to has a reason to exist. Sure, can't go into every building but I wouldn't want to anyway.

Hot take but GTA is trash. You're told exactly where to go, 80% of the game is fetch quests. The 2 biggest components of the gameplay loop driving and shooting mechanics are some of the worst in gaming.

The  only redeeming qualities of the game, great music and voice acting. Doesnt matter though because the story is cookie cutter bullshit. Vice City was just a straight copy/paste of Scarface.

• True 1

10 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Hot take but GTA is trash. You're told exactly where to go, 80% of the game is fetch quests. The 2 biggest components of the gameplay loop driving and shooting mechanics are some of the worst in gaming.

The  only redeeming qualities of the game, great music and voice acting. Doesnt matter though because the story is cookie cutter bullshit. Vice City was just a straight copy/paste of Scarface.

That's Rockstar's MO. Make a shitty version of a movie (most obvious when they straight up ripped Man on Fire's screen text/transition stuff almost verbatim for Max Payne 3) and then put it in a shitty game. I don't think I've ever made it more than halfway through a Rockstar campaign because they suck so much shit. It's like an ultra-extended cut of a movie I didn't want to watch to begin with. And then they put a bunch of fucking detail in the open world but all you can do 99% of the time is shoot or drive. Real fuckin' good use of the space. I mean they'll occasionally put a minigame but because the controls are so god awful and unresponsive it just makes you want to die.

So anyway Tears of the Kingdom is probably the most time I've ever put into any single player video game period, and I'm still going, literally playing it right now. So... that. But yeah, despite a lot of it aging like fine, fine milk in certain ways, I'd still put OoT not too far behind, because it really fucking was like magic when I first played it, and I still love doing the randomizers on the vastly, dramatically superior PC port.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

80% of the game is fetch quests

Well, that isn't even close to true. I'm not a huge GTA fan either, but I just prefer that style of world as it isn't very open. Like, I'm trying to think of an open world game where the world is actually good and I can't.

I guess an open world that I did enjoy was Dragon's Dogma. Oh and I actually like worlds like TES and Fallout better as well I suppose.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Is it Tears of the Kuckold because you have to hide in the closet and watch as we all bang your favorite series? :p

No. It's you. You guys are watching LoZ get pounded by the filthiest largest cock imaginable and eating out the cum while moaning, "delicious 10/10". I'm just here calling you disgusting. 

Nintendo is the only one fucking this series. Everyone else is just eating the creampie.

54 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

My biggest problems with GTA was they promised you could do all kinds of things… but nothing was refined to play well.. you can do RC missions, play hoops and all that but its never intuitive so its more of a chore… there is no harmony in the gameplay tying it to the environment… GTA IV came out and they said its story was masterful.. all i felt was my character being handed to different handlers for basic drive here and shoot missions (with a few exceptionally designed missions)

Finally GTA V comes out and people didnt like it as much as 4, I liked it best because at least the mission variety and the context in which it built up to the heists was great.. but again most everything outside the main gameplay mechanics is “good enough”… what GTA V did that I wish teams like Ubisofts Ghost Recon team would adapt is they design solid missions with organically integrated scripted moments…

all things considered Red Dead is still their best series…. Im also over the majority of the GTA satire where the game is rated mature for its immaturity

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

No. It's you. You guys are watching LoZ get pounded by the filthiest largest cock imaginable and eating out the cum while moaning, "delicious 10/10". I'm just here calling you disgusting. 

Nintendo is the only one fucking this series. Everyone else is just eating the creampie.

You seem very interested in the creampie.