Yellowjackets - Lost meets Lord of the Flies with a girls soccer team (Showtime)

TheLeon

1 hour ago, Derek said:

Where did they crash at, that nobody can find them? (Haven't seen it). Looks cold, though.

Somewhere in Canada. I'd guess the Prairies. The flight was from Jersey to Seattle but they veered north to avoid a storm.

• Thanks 1

Watched the first season over the last week with my wife since she was interested in it. It’s hokey, but mostly in a good way. I kinda think the show would be better without spending so much time in the present day.

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

You need the modern day stuff to make it work for me.  It baits the hook of knowing some people must survive and how did they get there.  If the show was purely the girls in the woods, it would run out of steam and intrigue much quicker.

Or it would just be a single season limited series and we’d be done already :p 

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Or it would just be a single season limited series and we’d be done already :p 

I still feel that the current day adds good and necessary texture to everything else.  Knowing for example that Misty survives and is a basket case gives her actions in the past more context and irony.  Teen Natalie’s circumstances are more tragic because we know that they’ve carried through to the rest of her life.  Besides, Melanie Lynskie is easily one of the best parts of the show.  Are we also going to deny ourselves the joy of watching Christina Rocco shoulder check Juliette Lewis out of the way to snort an entire plate of blow?

9 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I still feel that the current day adds good and necessary texture to everything else.  Knowing for example that Misty survives and is a basket case gives her actions in the past more context and irony.  Teen Natalie’s circumstances are more tragic because we know that they’ve carried through to the rest of her life.  Besides, Melanie Lynskie is easily one of the best parts of the show.  Are we also going to deny ourselves the joy of watching Christina Rocco shoulder check Juliette Lewis out of the way to snort an entire plate of blow?

I’m not opposed to the present day stuff, there is just a massive drop off in interest anytime the girls aren’t together during the present day. Basically everything with family drama or romance issues is substantially worse than every scene where the team is together as adults.

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not opposed to the present day stuff, there is just a massive drop off in interest anytime the girls aren’t together during the present day. Basically everything with family drama or romance issues is substantially worse than every scene where the team is together as adults.

I’ll give you that, although I do have a soft spot for the doofus husband.

I’m generally not one to try and guess what is going to happen in a show, I really try to just let the story tell itself, but when they put her on top and light it I said to my wife “oh no, they are going to smell it and it’s going to turn into a cookout”

😂😂😂😂😂

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m generally not one to try and guess what is going to happen in a show, I really try to just let the story tell itself, but when they put her on top and light it I said to my wife “oh no, they are going to smell it and it’s going to turn into a cookout”

😂😂😂😂😂

I think there's foil on the airplane 

• 2 weeks later...

This show swings wildly between the best thing on TV and the stupidest shit I’ve ever seen, sometimes several times an episode. Some of the acting and character beats this episode were just amazing, the confrontation between Misty and Crystal was perfect.  Even though you could see it coming, the performances were so good and they both pulled it off so well.  But then you have things like lotion condom and just… why?  Both sides of the coin on this one seem stupid; who would assume cops tailing someone would actively search for a used condom after the fact in the first place, and why would cops need that specific of proof to even believe that something happened?  Does rawdogging not exist in the Yellowjackets universe?  

I’m still undecided about the whole supernatural angle though.  At this point I feel like if there is an honest to god forest monster I’m going to be more disappointed than if they’re all having a low rent Hannibal moment.  

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

original-1984-1682549941-3.jpg?crop=1245
WWW.BUZZFEED.COM

"You can keep things as they are right now — I just won’t be participating.”

I didn't know they were non-binary. I admire their stance on this, recognizing the complexities of this. Curious to see how the academy resolves this.  I can't help but think this related somewhat to the conversation we're having in the other topic regarding sports and gender.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched today's episode and wow do I love this show. It's a show that doesn't reveal all it's cards for the longest time but the more that's revealed the more the show's thematics become apparent. The present days scenes are important because this isn't just a survival show, but about the lingering aftermath that such an intense situation would cause for the survivors. This is why the present day stuff is interesting to me. I love gradually learning just how fucked up these characters have become.

It's quite obvious by now that there is at least some sort of supernatural element involved, but I love that's it's up to the viewer to what extent. It's clearly Twin Peaks inspired and I hope it has learned one that show's strongest lessons by keeping the supernatural stuff as mysterious as they can. Over explaining this would tip the show.

I must be forgetting what exactly happened with Misty and the reporter, but I didn’t realize she actually killed her in season 1. I thought she just drugged her with the intention of discrediting her if she ratted her out for the dungeon time.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I must be forgetting what exactly happened with Misty and the reporter, but I didn’t realize she actually killed her in season 1. I thought she just drugged her with the intention of discrediting her if she ratted her out for the dungeon time.

Misty loves killing 

The season has certainly picked up the pace, but almost a little too much.  There is zero discussions between “we need to do something” and “drawing cards to eat one of us.”  I think one of the bigger problems the show has in the wilderness is that we get drips of these girls absolutely losing it from starvation, but they’re spread out between long stretches of them being more or less normal.  It also doesn’t help that by and large they look fine.  The Walking Dead, misery parade that it was, at least made the characters look like they had been out in the Georgia heat without running water for ages, these girls look like they’ve been out here for a day or two tops.  Natalie still has perfectly bleached hair to basically her roots.  I’m not saying they need to go full Christian Bale in the machinist, but they’re doing a poor job of selling these girls as so far gone that they settle the rules to ritual sacrifice in less than an afternoon.  

It can be such a weird show at times because it manages to weave larger themes together really well sometimes.  Adult Natalie’s willingness to tolerate Misty makes more sense now that we know she essentially saved her from being dinner even if it was at the cost of Javi.  Misty watching the rat drown in her pool and her watching Javi struggle for breath, that Javi didn’t draw the queen from the pile but the fact that he was the one that found the queen card in the first place, it has these really great moments.  

We’ll see where this mystery cave leads us.  With only one episode left this season and all the adult women leaning on ritual murder, I’m skeptical this goes in an interesting direction.  Also, I wonder what they’re going to do with past girls from now on.  We know seven of them have to survive, and we’re rapidly running out of girls to kill.  Unless they keep playing the game of adding random red shirts we’ve never seen before as a fun joke, we have what, four named girls left?