Succession: The Final Season (HBO, 26 March 2023) - Official Trailer

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

“We’ll be ok. We’ll get people… we’ll get a funeral off the rack. We could do Regan’s with tweaks.”

In the middle of such an emotionally heavy episode, that line really caught me off guard and I couldn’t stop laughing.

I liked, “get me the best airplane doctors available!”

• Haha 1

Just now, ort said:

If anyone hasn’t watched yet, watch before having it spoiled.

Best bottle episode ever? Maybe.

Spoiler

Yea, so… that’s the question: “are you a cunt?”. Okay, bye, call me back.

I was rolling. 
Then

Spoiler

That twist came out of nowhere. Holy f’n shit.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

“We’ll be ok. We’ll get people… we’ll get a funeral off the rack. We could do Regan’s with tweaks.”

In the middle of such an emotionally heavy episode, that line really caught me off guard and I couldn’t stop laughing.

There were several lines that were managed to be funny even as the death was happening...

"We need to tell Madsen he's going to be delayed"

"Yeah, VERY fucking delayed"

Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Also my favorite quote of the episode.

It's going to be interesting to see how the kids act now that they're finally out from under Logan's heel. Their entire lives orbited around Logan, and I have a feeling they're going to be completely unmoored by his absence. I have a feeling they’re mostly going to keep dancing for his ghost but we also might see some previously suppressed desires and behaviors emerge in them. 

• True 1

It really was. Everyone knew Logan was going to die at some point. And the writers were like, HOLD MY BEER...

The middle part of the show was basically a 28 minute straight shot in real time. The actors played the entire scene out in real time with 3 cameras recording the action. They did go back and shoot some more footage, but the vast majority of that episode was one single scene played out in real time by the actors, in one single take.

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The more I think about it, the way it happened kind of "out of nowhere" and suddenly was genius writing.

I think the biggest and best thing they did was not allow any catharsis for either the characters or the audience. Logan Roy was an absolute abusive, horrific person to his kids and many of his closest employees and closest confidants. He deserves to burn in hell. 

But to never give us any reaction shot of Logan worried, not showing any recognition on his face at all of his horrid behavior or any sort of remorse, nothing. Like real life, we aren't afforded those dramatic comforts, and this episode gave us none. Logan's last lines were forcing his son into a torturous loyalty test he did not want to do and then talked business. And now he's dead. That's it. Logan showed signs of cracking (as much as he is capable) towards the end, but day of his death? Business as usual, being a prick.

Brian Cox (Logan Roy) did an interview with Colbert last night that I just finished watching. He continued to show up on set for some of the following episodes so media/tabloids wouldn't speculate what happened to his character. Not really a spoiler if you watched the latest episode, but, kinda, I guess (you'd need to be super spoiler-sensitive to think this is a spoiler if you watched the episode from this past Sunday :p )

Spoiler

So, obviously, there's going to be an episode with Logan's funeral - the writers/director/producers told Brian Cox that he didn't need to come to set for it, but he went anyway because he was worried that press would be there and it would spoil Logan's death. Sure enough, when he pulled up, tons of tabloid reporters were there and were snapping pictures of him - The Sun (or one of those "newspapers") was speculating that the episode was regarding Logan's funeral, but said afterwards "we were wrong, because Brian Cox wouldn't have been on set if our theory was correct." and went on to speculate it being other characters :rofl:

Yeah, I saw that. Brain Cox is delightful.

I want to hear more about how he and Jeremy Strong did not get along. Apparently Cox hates Jeremy Strong and didn't like working with him. I don't think Cox takes his job all that seriously and Strong is always up his own ass about everything and never breaks character.

I thought it was hilarious when Brian Cox told him that he's never actually watched a single episode of the show. Apparently he never watches anything he is in.

I think all of the actors on this show just kill it. Honestly, that's one of the best parts of the show, are the performances are just all amazing pretty much across the board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ort said:

Yeah, I saw that. Brain Cox is delightful.

I want to hear more about how he and Jeremy Strong did not get along. Apparently Cox hates Jeremy Strong and didn't like working with him. I don't think Cox takes his job all that seriously and Strong is always up his own ass about everything and never breaks character.

I thought it was hilarious when Brian Cox told him that he's never actually watched a single episode of the show. Apparently he never watches anything he is in.

I think all of the actors on this show just kill it. Honestly, that's one of the best parts of the show, are the performances are just all amazing pretty much across the board.

Yeah, Brian Cox thinks method acting is lame (and he’s right, it’s fucking LAME).

Another banger of an episode. It makes sense now why they "had" to kill Logan so early... because this shit is gonna be messy.

Apparently this entire season takes place over the course of 10 days, with each episode covering only a single day.

• Shocked 1

It's kinda funny,  but I just found out that Brain Cox is the voice over guy for those ANNOYING AS FUCK McDonald's commercials with the old guy singing "ba da ba da da" at the end.

I hate that VO so much. Ugh, his delivery just grates on my nerves. It always felt so tonally out of place for corporate juggernaut of garbage processed food to have this playful, down home whimsical, somewhat condescending old man voice.

I hate Brain Cox now. I'm not loving it. (not really, but kinda)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

"Well, it sure as fucking shit doesn't say Shiv". And that smile at the end at Hugo.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477y09r0a8b729s0ysk8

I think I’m starting to realize that Shiv might be the worst of all of them somehow lol (and that’s saying something since they’re all so awful :daydream:)

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think I’m starting to realize that Shiv might be the worst of all of them somehow lol (and that’s saying something since they’re all so awful :daydream:)

She's the most awful in some ways because she's the most entitled. She's never really worked in business but wants the top spot without working for it. Now, Logan intentionally clearly made sure Shiv never got experience growing up so he could always say: "you don't have enough experience" when she did want to do things, and then when she did have some power for awhile she did a terrible job. Her brothers are now "using" that lack of experience against her, but it does make sense that 3 interim CEO's would look stupid. But I agree with you.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:04 AM, Spork3245 said:

On 4/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, Greatoneshere said:

She's the most awful in some ways because she's the most entitled. She's never really worked in business but wants the top spot without working for it. Now, Logan intentionally clearly made sure Shiv never got experience growing up so he could always say: "you don't have enough experience" when she did want to do things, and then when she did have some power for awhile she did a terrible job. Her brothers are now "using" that lack of experience against her, but it does make sense that 3 interim CEO's would look stupid. But I agree with you.

How does any of this make her "the worst"? She was deliberately over looked and held down by her father because of her gender and is trying to overcome that. Her younger brother is a spoiled pervert who sexually harasses older employees and her older brother is a drug addicted, two faced MURDERER but Shiv is the worst? That is an... interesting take on a board that is KNOWN for its "interesting" takes :lol:

Any way, is Mateson loosley based on Elon Musk? I ask because Conner refered to him as "The 4-Chan Swede" :p Replace Swede with "Afrikaner" and you get Elon Musk.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How does any of this make her "the worst"? She was deliberately over looked and held down by her father because of her gender and is trying to overcome that. Her younger brother is a spoiled pervert who sexually harasses older employees and her older brother is a drug addicted, two faced MURDERER but Shiv is the worst? That is an... interesting take on a board that is KNOWN for its "interesting" takes :lol:

Any way, is Mateson loosley based on Elon Musk? I ask because Conner refered to him as "The 4-Chan Swede" :p Replace Swede with "Afrikaner" and you get Elon Musk.

I’m not sure why you tagged me since I didn’t provide any additional info. :p 

As I said, they’re all awful, but she’s showing sociopathic tendencies this season due to her spiral in particular. Offering a defense for any of them is the real interesting take here :p 

I think Matsson is sort of a mashup of many silicon valley billionaire tropes. But yes, definitely some Musk sprinkled in there. Mostly his vague social media posting.

Matsson seems way more grounded and normal and sane than Musk.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not sure why you tagged me since I didn’t provide any additional info. :p 

As I said, they’re all awful, but she’s showing sociopathic tendencies this season due to her spiral in particular. Offering a defense for any of them is the real interesting take here :p 

I'm not defending anyone. Shiv IS entitled and unqualified. They all are. I'm just curious how SHE'S the worst compared to her two brothers the murdering drug addict and the pervert. The only sympathetic one is the Older brother who just wants to be loved :p They all suck but there's levels to this shit :p. Shit I even hate cousin Greg who I thought would end up being the under dog you root for. NOPE... he's a sniveling asshole.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

Mateson seems way more grounded and normal and sane than Musk.

So far... we haven't seen a lot of him but they seem to imply he's an unhinged whack job with how they talk about him. Been marathoning this season in my AirBNB and noticeing some stuff I missed.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm just curious how SHE'S the worst compared to her two brothers the murdering drug addict and the pervert.

It’s little things shown in her desperation of no longer having any control and how she started spiraling because of it. It’s interesting you keep saying Kendall is a murderer: he went in the car with a kid who was high to get more drugs, his insistence of getting more drugs led to the car accident which led to the kids death, but you’re writing as if he ran the kid over. Kendall showed emotion to this and struggled with this, which doesn’t mean he’s not a POS, just means he’s awful but not a sociopath. Shiv this season is giving me the impression she’d put hits out on people if it would help her.

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How does any of this make her "the worst"? She was deliberately over looked and held down by her father because of her gender and is trying to overcome that. Her younger brother is a spoiled pervert who sexually harasses older employees and her older brother is a drug addicted, two faced MURDERER but Shiv is the worst? That is an... interesting take on a board that is KNOWN for its "interesting" takes 

I only meant in terms of demanding the position of CEO with no experience. They're all terrible people in general, obviously. And I said she's the most awful in some ways. The rest are the most awful in other ways, as you describe. It's in the first sentence of my post.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, go back to the episode where Connor has that big event dinner set up when he’s flipping out on the staff over napkins and tell me that he’s relatable. He’s just as f’d up and awful as any of them, he just hides it 10% better. :p 

Who said he was relatable? I said "sympathetic" and that's relatable compared to the others. And yeah I'm calling Kendall a murderer because that's what he WOULD be in the eyes of the law. HE was driving the car and HE got into the accident and HE left the kid in there and HE hasn't face any consequences for it. He literally says HIMSELF "I killed a kid." I mean he even thinks he's a murderer. Same way Ted Kennedy is

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Who said he was relatable? I said "sympathetic" and that's relatable compared to the others. And yeah I'm calling Kendall a murderer because that's what he WOULD be in the eyes of the law. HE was driving the car and HE got into the accident and HE left the kid in there and HE hasn't face any consequences for it. He literally says HIMSELF "I killed a kid." I mean he even thinks he's a murderer. Same way Ted Kennedy is

I already stated that he was the cause of the kids death, but your capitalizations are noted!

13 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also the music in this show is amazing... such a great score. and where do you guys come down on the whole "underlined or crossed out" controversy? Looks underlined to me.

One last thing... Roman is going to end up with Carrie isn't he?

Personally, I say it's underlined. Who starts crossing out words from left to right beginning with underlining the first word? It would start out crossing out the first word from its middle, I'd presume. Looked to me like an old man doing a poor underlining job.