Amazon "pauses" construction of its HQ2 monstrosity in scenic Crystal (Not An Actual) City, Virginia

And by "scenic" I mean "soul-shatteringly miserable".

106833910-1612275011631-2.jpg?v=16778560
WWW.CNBC.COM

Amazon is pausing construction of parts of its second headquarters, dubbed HQ2, in Virginia, the company confirmed.

Amazon is pausing construction of its second headquarters, dubbed HQ2, in Virginia, the company confirmed to CNBC.

John Schoettler, Amazon’s real estate head, said in a statement the company is pushing out the groundbreaking of PenPlace, the second phase of the sprawling northern Virginia campus. The first phase of the campus, known as Metropolitan Park, is expected to open on time this June and will be occupied by 8,000 employees.

The move comes as Amazon CEO Andy Jassy has taken steps to curtail expenses across the company in the face of slowing revenue and a gloomy economic outlook. That’s led the company to announce the largest layoffs in its history, totaling more than 18,000 employees. Amazon is also reevaluating its real estate portfolio and sunsetting some projects.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon is "pausing" the construction of its HQ2 monstrosity in scenic Crystal (Not An Actual) City, Virginia
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amazon "pauses" construction of its HQ2 monstrosity in scenic Crystal (Not An Actual) City, Virginia
53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What a shock @Commissar SFLUFAN doesn’t like the least brutalist concept I’ve ever seen. :p 

lucas-gallone-nrvwlrb5qmk-unsplash-1-192
STORIES.DURHAM.AC.UK

Former-Whitney-Museum-of-American-Art.jp
WWW.DECOIST.COM

Today, Brutalism maintains its status as a genre of architecture dividing opinion across two clear camps: love it or hate it. A stark and functionalist

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

lucas-gallone-nrvwlrb5qmk-unsplash-1-192
STORIES.DURHAM.AC.UK

Former-Whitney-Museum-of-American-Art.jp
WWW.DECOIST.COM

Today, Brutalism maintains its status as a genre of architecture dividing opinion across two clear camps: love it or hate it. A stark and functionalist

Yeah, Brutalism needs to either contrast with nature or exist in nature or a void.

fallingwater-house@2x.jpg

KDxUomw.jpg

What people (rightfully) hate is the concrete-on-concrete shit you get for example in a lot of DC (i.e. Brutalist buildings surrounded by seas of concrete sidewalks/streets and asphalt streets). And it doesn't help that a lot of Brutalist buildings are literally race riot bunkers.

nrxLVK76aIJ6VB9Mbpkeamqv8OHJGRyM-NXZslw2

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Having concrete does not necessarily make it brutalist. modernist is what it is general considered and brutalism is influenced by some modernist work. 

bro I'm googling "brutalism nature" are you trying to argue that teh google could be wrong

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

The problem isn't that it wasn't brutalist, the problem is that it was getting shat out in the middle of an area that is. The contrast was bad. Courthouse, Ballston, and Rosslyn are just 2/3/4 metro stops away and more stylistically compatible. 

They should have demolished a bunch of SFHs in Lyon Village, as they personally made me very mad for being dipshit nimbys when I visited a few weeks ago despite being blocks (less than a quarter mile!) from a fucking metro stop. Sitting on a million dollar+ home but actively opposing “missing middle” makes my blood boil. 

• Sicko Sherman 1