PC Community Thread

stepee

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Just seems like there should be more to it? I dunno if I'd trust it as being 100% accurate, especially since at 1080p the "simulated 7800x3D" is beating the 7950x3D.

Cyberpower is kind of trash. My friend got a build from them and it kept crashing, sent his GPU to EVGA for warranty, still crashing, sent the entire PC back to cyberpower, sent back and was still crashing. Finally, when I saw a pic of the PC, I told him to remove the PCIE 8-pin extension cables that cyberpower put on there, and then it was fine; they were using extension cables not rated for the power draw of the 3080 FTW3 Ultra he has.

hmm on the other hand anything like that I could probably figure out! That’s concerning though still yeah ugh. The other sites I’ve checked are like $300 more. Tempted to just say fuck it and do digital storm and pay whatever 

Just now, stepee said:

hmm on the other hand anything like that I could probably figure out! That’s concerning though still yeah ugh. The other sites I’ve checked are like $300 more. Tempted to just say fuck it and do digital storm and pay whatever 

If you go with them, I would just immediately remove any/all extension cables since they're just aesthetic

Just now, Spork3245 said:

If you go with them, I would just immediately remove any/all extension cables since they're just aesthetic

I’m tempted to do this because the price is so perfect for what I wanted :P

I mean parts wise that looks good right; the cooler and the motherboard I picked?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m tempted to do this because the price is so perfect for what I wanted :P

I mean parts wise that looks good right; the cooler and the motherboard I picked?

I'd go for the H150i so you have a 360mm radiator. I'm not familiar with that motherboard, just pull it up on newegg and check to see if it has everything you want in terms of ports/m.2 slots/etc. The ssd is kinda "ew" though, it's a gen4 that runs gen3 speeds.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I'd go for the H120i so you have a 360mm radiator. I'm not familiar with that motherboard, just pull it up on newegg and check to see if it has everything you want in terms of ports/m.2 slots/etc. The ssd is kinda "ew" though, it's a gen4 that runs gen3 speeds.

I have two 2tb nvme’s I will use for now I should mention, I’m taking those out of my current build!

edit: And yeah I picked that MB because it was the most reasonable one that has 4 m2 slots

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeI said H120 but meant H150 :p 

The 360mm radiator.

Yeah I was looking and was about to ask :P It makes me change the case for that, I liked this one but they have tons so I will see what I can do there!

Only $70 for the change to the 150 and the case to actually my current one which I love but in white which I want hmmmmm

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just seems like there should be more to it? I dunno if I'd trust it as being 100% accurate, especially since at 1080p the "simulated 7800x3D" is beating the 7950x3D.

Cyberpower is kind of trash. My friend got a build from them and it kept crashing, sent his GPU to EVGA for warranty, still crashing, sent the entire PC back to cyberpower, sent back and was still crashing. Finally, when I saw a pic of the PC, I told him to remove the PCIE 8-pin extension cables that cyberpower put on there, and then it was fine; they were using extension cables not rated for the power draw of the 3080 FTW3 Ultra he has.

The 3D CCD runs at a lower clockspeed, comparable to the 7800X3D, than the other CCD in the 7950. The most likely reason that simulated wins a lot is because disabling a CCD lowers the power and allows the 3D CCD to clock higher before hitting the temperature throttle, as well as negating any latency penalties if a game thread was bouncing between CCDs.

36 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Do AMD MB's not support PCIe 5.0 NVMe drives?  The one you picked doesn't seem to have support any.

It’s confusing as hell I guess because the drives aren’t out yet? It mentions Lightning Gen 5 nvme and then also in detailed specs says:

4x M.2
M.2_1 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 5.0 x4 , supports 22110/2280 devices 
M.2_2 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
M.2_3 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
M.2_4 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
6x SATA 6G

So I think it does support it?

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s confusing as hell I guess because the drives aren’t out yet? It mentions Lightning Gen 5 nvme and then also in detailed specs says:

4x M.2
M.2_1 Source (From CPU) supports up to PCIe 5.0 x4 , supports 22110/2280 devices 
M.2_2 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
M.2_3 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
M.2_4 Source (From Chipset) supports up to PCIe 4.0 x4 , supports 2280/2260 devices 
6x SATA 6G

So I think it does support it?

I missed it.

Do other motherboards have pcie5 gpu slots? I was going to ask also about if it’s worth $40 extra for the corsair 1000w with the pcie5 connector, I’m thinking no and what’s happening now is I’m getting feature creep and the price is growing lol 

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My mistake it was the graphics slot that was PCIe 4.0 only.

@Spork3245 Any word on whether future graphics cards will need PCIe 5.0?

Need? No. You can run a 4090 on a PCIE2 slot if you want. Be compatible with, sure. Currently if you run a PCIE4 GPU on a PCIE3 slot, there’s really no difference. Cards aren’t using all the previous gen’s bandwidth yet. 

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Do other motherboards have pcie5 gpu slots? I was going to ask also about if it’s worth $40 extra for the corsair 1000w with the pcie5 connector, I’m thinking no and what’s happening now is I’m getting feature creep and the price is growing lol 

Yes, there’s plenty of mobos with PCIE5 16x slots. You should probably get one in case some new features on future GPUs actually use the bandwidth.
I think going for an (actual) ATX 3.0 PSU is worth it for future gpu upgrades.

15 hours ago, stepee said:

After feature creep and $100 off on Digital Storm this is actually $15 cheaper than my Cyberpowerpc build:

configurator-custom.jpg
WWW.DIGITALSTORM.COM

Check out my configuration for the Digital Storm Lumos

Would that be better?

If you like that mobo better, sure. I prefer corsair RGB memory + AIOs for iCue, but that’s preference 

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

After feature creep and $100 off on Digital Storm this is actually $15 cheaper than my Cyberpowerpc build:

configurator-custom.jpg
WWW.DIGITALSTORM.COM

Check out my configuration for the Digital Storm Lumos

Would that be better?

The case has better ventilation than the Cyberpower Kira. Cases that have the fans in the front with a glass panel are really bad for thermals. I would definitely avoid any case with a glass front panel that doesn't have ventilation on the sides (like the Lian Li 011 dynamic) to make up for it.

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If you like that mono better, sure. I prefer corsair RGB memory + AIOs for iCue, but that’s preference 

I guess it’s more just that I would assume the Digital Storm one might be built better than Cyberpowerpc? The Cyberpowerpc one is basic the parts I actually want. The digital storm stuff is proprietary some of it so I’m not sure if it’s like better or not.

17 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The case has better ventilation than the Cyberpower Kira. Cases that have the fans in the front with a glass panel are really bad for thermals. I would definitely avoid any case with a glass front panel that doesn't have ventilation on the sides (like the Lian Li 011 dynamic) to make up for it.

I forgot to update I switched out the cyberpowerpc case to CORSAIR ICUE 4000X RGB SERIES ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis + AirGuide RGB fans

What would you say between the two builds after that?

5 hours ago, stepee said:

I guess it’s more just that I would assume the Digital Storm one might be built better than Cyberpowerpc? The Cyberpowerpc one is basic the parts I actually want. The digital storm stuff is proprietary some of it so I’m not sure if it’s like better or not.

I forgot to update I switched out the cyberpowerpc case to CORSAIR ICUE 4000X RGB SERIES ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis + AirGuide RGB fans

What would you say between the two builds after that?

You can get a lot more for your money with the Cyberpower build. I'm pretty cheap so that's what I would personally go with.  Functionally speaking, there's nothing wrong with the basic Digital Storm parts and should be performance-equivalent to the Corsair stuff, just won't have as many pretty lights.

Oh I don't know if you noticed but the Digital Storm defaults to Linux and only 250GB SSD.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You can get a lot more for your money with the Cyberpower build. I'm pretty cheap so that's what I would personally go with.  Functionally speaking, there's nothing wrong with the basic Digital Storm parts and should be performance-equivalent to the Corsair stuff, just won't have as many pretty lights.

Oh I don't know if you noticed but the Digital Storm defaults to Linux and only 250GB SSD.

Yeah to get the prices close I had to do linux :P I have nvme’s from my current build I’ll be using and can grab that windows license too, but if I do the CP one then my Dad won’t need to by a windows license for my old pc I’m giving him. I’m leaning towards the CP I think too because I’d like the corsair stuff.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah to get the prices close I had to do linux :P I have nvme’s from my current build I’ll be using and can grab that windows license too, but if I do the CP one then my Dad won’t need to by a windows license for my old pc I’m giving him. I’m leaning towards the CP I think too because I’d like the corsair stuff.

It's a shame there's no MC near you because I'm pretty sure you can pick out all your parts and they'll put it together for you for like $100-150

• True 1