Florida Proposing Bill That Would Ban Dogs From Sticking Their Head Out of a Car Window

f8e7913a-0ce7-46aa-ba36-9b5e02afe62a-dog
WWW.USATODAY.COM

If passed, drivers who let dogs sit in their lap or put their heads out vehicle windows in Florida would receive a moving violation.

A bill filed on Friday by Broward County Democratic state Sen. Lauren Book would prohibit dogs from putting their heads out of car windows.  

The measure includes various animal-welfare regulations: penalizing cat declawing, banning certain animal testing, prohibiting rabbit sales before Easter and requiring the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to post an online registry of convicted animal abuses.

According to the bill, drivers wouldn't be allowed to hold a dog in their lap, and dogs wouldn't be allowed to put their head or any other body part outside a car window.

The bill calls for pets to be restrained with a harness, seat belt, or if possible, to be held by a passenger.

If a dog is being transported in the bed of a truck, they must be restrained by using a crate that is safely secured and large enough to allow the dog to turn around normally.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Letting dogs stick their heads out the window is apparently terrible for their eyes. 

Yeah this seems like mostly a good thing. I met a dog owner when I was younger and the dog had sunglasses because I guess a bee flew into the dog's eye when it had it's head out the window or something and lost its eye. :(

Also, it always seemed unsafe to me to have a dog on your lap, sticking it's head out the window while you're driving.

I agree with being on your lap while driving part, and no dog should in the back of a flat bed truck for great distances in travel. But no heads out the window is too far for me as a dog owner of 40yrs. My first golden would ride with my in the front seat of my ‘08 Escape on the passenger side. He would either sit in the seat head out the window/looking out the windshield. mostly it was a combo of ass in seat, front legs on ground, and resting his head on the windowsill sniffing the air. He did occasionally rest his head on my lap while driving as well, but not often. I now put my back seats down in my car and they love moving from one window to the next in the back. Putting your head out in a moving car is like a dogs right of passage. Get them goggles if you want (we’ve thought about it) but I’m overall not a fan of the bill. 

This article made me sad, only because it reminded me of when I used to take my dog out to my sister’s place and my dog would start crying in the back seat because her place is in the same direction as the vet and he assumed we were going there. 

I miss having a beagle.

• Hugs 2

33 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

This article made me sad, only because it reminded me of when I used to take my dog out to my sister’s place and my dog would start crying in the back seat because her place is in the same direction as the vet and he assumed we were going there. 

I miss having a beagle.

Beagle solidarity.

nrU2QUM_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2