PC Community Thread

stepee

5 hours ago, stepee said:

First tax return came in let’s gooooooo

Here you have the choice:

1) Fill out a tax form and from then on be required to do so every year for the rest of your working life and MAYBE get some money back sometimes.

2) Never touch that shit and just pay what's automatically deducted from your paycheck each month.

I cannot for the life of me understand ordinary people who go with option 1. Who thinks that hassle is worth a few measly hundred bucks at most on average? Like, fine, if you're rich and the amounts are high enough that it's either worth your time or hiring someone to do it for you that makes sense. But otherwise? Who needs that additional stress and work? Just leave me the fuck alone, government, and I'll return the favor, kthxbye.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I use the search bar in the browser. I'm just that cool.

Get on my level, peasant :talkhand: I access virtually any and all search bars that I regularly use on the Internet (hosting sites, e-commerce, dictionaries, wikis, social media, ...) from the search bar via that nifty "Add a keyword for this search" function.

13 minutes ago, Demut said:

Here you have the choice:

1) Fill out a tax form and from then on be required to do so every year for the rest of your working life and MAYBE get some money back sometimes.

2) Never touch that shit and just pay what's automatically deducted from your paycheck each month.

I cannot for the life of me understand ordinary people who go with option 1. Who thinks that hassle is worth a few measly hundred bucks at most on average? Like, fine, if you're rich and the amounts are high enough that it's either worth your time or hiring someone to do it for you that makes sense. But otherwise? Who needs that additional stress and work? Just leave me the fuck alone, government, and I'll return the favor, kthxbye.

Get on my level, peasant :talkhand: I access virtually any and all search bars that I regularly use on the Internet (hosting sites, e-commerce, dictionaries, wikis, social media, ...) from the search bar via that nifty "Add a keyword for this search" function.

I don’t know about any of that, I just filled a couple boxes and now I have a bunch of money coming in so I’m gonna buy a new pc.

16 hours ago, Demut said:

Well, good for you in that case. I've always heard it's a damn PITA and something one would rather not have to do (which is why a whole industry grew around others doing it for you, with those same companies then lobbying D.C. to keep it a PITA).

The whole thing with turbotax now is actually just trying to make it as fast as possible. It has a timer and then shows you at the end how long it took to show off how fast it is. The whole thing takes less than 20min for basic W2 tax return. 

It’s more work if you have a bunch of deductions, but deductions are obviously things you wouldn’t get to really do the same way any other method. And that gets into the bigger problem with taxes, which is letting the rich get taxed too little. 

It used to be harder but technology and stuff.

Oh, I have no doubt of that. My point is that they are trying to keep it that way (it being worth it) by keeping the whole process a PITA when unassisted. Here is an article on what I am referring to. They're not the good guys in this story is what I'm saying. Maybe they were in the very beginning but definitely not for decades.

5 minutes ago, Demut said:

Oh, I have no doubt of that. My point is that they are trying to keep it that way (it being worth it) by keeping the whole process a PITA when unassisted. Here is an article on what I am referring to. They're not the good guys in this story is what I'm saying. Maybe they were in the very beginning but definitely not for decades.

Oh yeah I know it’s all a mess it’s just that isn’t changing any time soon so all I care about is getting a good overall return quickly and that has improved enough where for me the whole thing is whatever and just a time of year i buy myself toys.

I do have them take the maximum out so I don’t have to deal with any possibility of owing at the end of the year but it’s fine cuz I have plenty and I kinda enjoy a sorta toy season around tax time.

@stepee

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/22.html

4k benchmarks for the 7950x3D, they also have RT benchmarks at the bottom. RT doesn't seem as CPU dependent as you've been saying judging from those benches, especially considering in Cyberpunk the difference is basically margin of error :p 

It looks like a ~10% difference on avg at 4k vs my 5900x. No reason to upgrade yet. I'll wait for the 8000-9000 series I guess.

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepee

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/22.html

4k benchmarks for the 7950x3D, they also have RT benchmarks at the bottom. RT doesn't seem as CPU dependent as you've been saying judging from those benches, especially considering in Cyberpunk the difference is basically margin of error :p 

It looks like a ~10% difference on avg at 4k vs my 5900x. No reason to upgrade yet. I'll wait for the 8000-9000 series I guess.

Those tests don’t show it, especially the Cyberpunk one. It won’t show the cpu bottleneck because it’s allowing it to hit the gpu bottleneck by not using dlss.

To be clear when I talk about it, I’m just talking about when your gpu has more room to go up, but the cpu is not powerful enough to hit 120fps. I’m only interested in those scenarios as that is the issue I run into.

I need to see  the 1080p tests later.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I need to see  the 1080p tests later.

More of a difference, but it's not dissimilar to the non-RT difference. Even Spider-Man w/RT at 4k doesn't show too much difference tbh. I think GPU is the limiting factor for RT, not CPUs. CPU seems to only help about as much as it would with no RT in the cases that it does help.

:shrug:

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

More of a difference, but it's not dissimilar to the non-RT difference. Even Spider-Man w/RT at 4k doesn't show too much difference tbh. I think GPU is the limiting factor for RT, not CPUs. CPU seems to only help about as much as it would with no RT in the cases that it does help.

:shrug:

Im just looking for the actual cpu bottlenecks to go away :P A lot of it is also minimums more so than averages. There are just a lot of times the gpu has room and cpu is stopped on a semi older one like mine. More than the overall picture I think you are looking at, there are just things that I know are cpu bottlenecks on my end I want to see eased!

Just now, stepee said:

Im just looking for the actual cpu bottlenecks to go away :P A lot of it is also minimums more so than averages. There are just a lot of times the gpu has room and cpu is stopped on a semi older one like mine. More than the overall picture I think you are looking at, there are just things that I know are cpu bottlenecks on my end I want to see eased!

Oh, I'm just saying that the CPU bottlenecks seem to be about the same regardless of RT on or off and that RT isn't increasing the bottlenecks at all.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, I'm just saying that the CPU bottlenecks seem to be about the same regardless of RT on or off and that RT isn't increasing the bottlenecks at all.

I think that goes into my latest post :P

I have to pay attention to this meeting but I’m not arguing with what you are saying, I’m just talking about very specific things that I’m looking for - I can go into more detail later

Overall that is disappointing though, seems overall like I could have just done a 13900k build and its more or less the same. I have a feeling in the future 7900x3d will be better so I’ll probably still stick with that, but kinda bummed about these results.

I’m not seeing the 20% over 13900k in gaming improvement that AMD was promising.

I need to see 7900x3d and see if that fairs just the same and some other reviews, kind of annoyed it’s so close to the 13900k and trades blows often enough that now I have to actually research!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Overall that is disappointing though, seems overall like I could have just done a 13900k build and its more or less the same. I have a feeling in the future 7900x3d will be better so I’ll probably still stick with that, but kinda bummed about these results.

I’m not seeing the 20% over 13900k in gaming improvement that AMD was promising.

I need to see 7900x3d and see if that fairs just the same and some other reviews, kind of annoyed it’s so close to the 13900k and trades blows often enough that now I have to actually research!

All the reviews so far seem to be just 7950x3D, I'm guessing that's all AMD sent to reviewers instead of both CPUs (the 7800x3D comes out later). I think you're better off with the x3D tbh, simply because you'll be able to upgrade for a bit of CPU gens, but with the 13900k you'd need a new mobo.

• True 1

I think the best news here is that it seems that the AMD drivers hooked to windows scheduler are doing a good intelligent job of assigning the best cores and ccd for the job. So you should sorta get your cake and eat it too with this…it’s just I have literally zero usage of my pc outside of gaming. 

I guess now the thing I’d like to know is if maybe that works better with the 7950x3d vs the 7900x3d just since it’s an easier split of 8 cores to one ccd? I’m confused how that works in 7900x3d with 12 cores, 6 on each? Can you still use the ccd with 96gb cache on 8 cores? Shit is confusing.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

I think the best news here is that it seems that the AMD drivers hooked to windows scheduler are doing a good intelligent job of assigning the best cores and ccd for the job. So you should sorta get your cake and eat it too with this…it’s just I have literally zero usage of my pc outside of gaming. 

I guess now the thing I’d like to know is if maybe that works better with the 7950x3d vs the 7900x3d just since it’s an easier split of 8 cores to one ccd? I’m confused how that works in 7900x3d with 12 cores, 6 on each? Can you still use the ccd with 96gb cache on 8 cores? Shit is confusing.

With the 7900X3D you're only going to get 6 cores with 3D cache. I predict it will do fine in most games, but a few games might actually take advantage of 8 3D cores and you'll be missing out on performance. Scheduler seems to be mostly a hit, but there are misses. Looks like you can set your CCD preference in the BIOS, though, if you ever run into an issue with per-game detection.

The 7800X3D is the simple gaming CPU. Don't have to worry about scheduling issues, uses less power and should be easier to cool.

@stepee

5006271_999999.jpg
WWW.MICROCENTER.COM

Get it now! Find over 30,000 products at your local Micro Center, including the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, ASUS X670E Pro Prime WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 Kit, Computer Build Combo

39 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

With the 7900X3D you're only going to get 6 cores with 3D cache. I predict it will do fine in most games, but a few games might actually take advantage of 8 3D cores and you'll be missing out on performance. Scheduler seems to be mostly a hit, but there are misses. Looks like you can set your CCD preference in the BIOS, though, if you ever run into an issue with per-game detection.

The 7800X3D is the simple gaming CPU. Don't have to worry about scheduling issues, uses less power and should be easier to cool.

So now yeah I would get a 7950x3D over the 7900 due to that. So I’ll just have to see how bad the build price is off a 7950 if I wait for the 7800x3d or not sigh. I’m giving myself a 2200 budget essentially for everything I need (do not need hard drives, gpu, or windows)

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepee

5006271_999999.jpg
WWW.MICROCENTER.COM

Get it now! Find over 30,000 products at your local Micro Center, including the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X, ASUS X670E Pro Prime WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 Kit, Computer Build Combo

What’s the catch?!? That seems super cheap.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m seeing “simulated” 7800x3D benchmarks with reviewers disabling some stuff on the 7950x3D. I don’t see how these could be accurate especially since at 1080p it seems to put the “simulated 7800x3D” ahead of the 7950x3D, and how would they simulate the smaller cache?

If you configure it so it’s using one ccd isn’t it 96mb cache (the extra 32mb cache being on the other ccd) and 8 cores so the same thing pretty much?

That said, it’s sold out on Amazon and Newegg and some of the prices for prebuilt are just dumb so I was getting annoyed but then I looked at Cyberpowerpc and honestly is anything wrong with this? I was able to actually build to budget there:

Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Gaming Chassis: CyberPowerPC KIRA II 241V Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel + 4X ARGB Fans Included (White Color)

Extra Case Fans: Default case fans

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 Processor 7950X3D 16-core/32-thread 4.2GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 144MB Cache AM5

Freebie of Processor: None

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm Radiator - AF120 RGB ELITE Fans

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits:None

Video Card: GeForce® GT 1030 2GB GDDR4 (Single Card)

Power Supply: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RMx RM1000X 80 PLUS Gold certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply

Motherboard: MSI PRO X670-P WIFI AM5 ATX w/ AMD Wi-Fi 6E, 2.5GbT LAN, (3)PCIe x16, (1)PCIe x1, (4)M.2, (6)SATA

RAM / System Memory: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (Team T-Delta RGB)

Primary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Black SN750 SE Series (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3600/2800 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 525/640k (Single Drive)

Comes out to $2094 so I guess $80 over budget actually after taxes but I wasn’t considering those, could still even get a psvr2 and just be off my tax return money…

Any issues though?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you configure it so it’s using one ccd isn’t it 96mb cache (the extra 32mb cache being on the other ccd) and 8 cores so the same thing pretty much?

Just seems like there should be more to it? I dunno if I'd trust it as being 100% accurate, especially since at 1080p the "simulated 7800x3D" is beating the 7950x3D.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

That said, it’s sold out on Amazon and Newegg and some of the prices for prebuilt are just dumb so I was getting annoyed but then I looked at Cyberpowerpc and honestly is anything wrong with this? I was able to actually build to budget there:

Cyberpower is kind of trash. My friend got a build from them and it kept crashing, sent his GPU to EVGA for warranty, still crashing, sent the entire PC back to cyberpower, sent back and was still crashing. Finally, when I saw a pic of the PC, I told him to remove the PCIE 8-pin extension cables that cyberpower put on there, and then it was fine; they were using extension cables not rated for the power draw of the 3080 FTW3 Ultra he has.