Atomic Heart (PC/PlayStation/Xbox) - Information Thread, update: "Trapped in Limbo" (DLC 2) trailer

Mr.Vic20

I can still get down with a 75meta dumb shooter type of game especially if it’s nice looking but I gotta say for something I was hyped for originally, the release timing of it amongst some other games I need to play through first means my hype has pretty much vanished now by release date.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

I can still get down with a 75meta dumb shooter type of game especially if it’s nice looking but I gotta say for something I was hyped for originally, the release timing of it amongst some other games I need to play through first means my hype has pretty much vanished now by release date.

It sounds like it could be fun enough to play as part of like game pass or like a 20 dollar or less sale.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:09 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

@stepee RTX game sir! 

Eventually.  Maybe.

Atomic-Heart-twin.png
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Atomic Heart will not include its highly promo'd ray tracing features in the PC version at launch. RT effects will instead come in a later patch.

Atomic Heart’s long development cycle has provided ample opportunities to show off the power of ray tracing. From an Nvidia tech demo back to in 2019 to an RTX-branded trailer released just last month, this souped-up lighting and reflection tech has been a key piston in propelling the Soviet sci-fi FPS’ hype train. Some slightly awkward news, then: the PC version won’t support ray tracing at launch.

I noticed the lack of ray tracing options in the review build we received last week, and got in touch with the game's press relations team to check if I was missing something, or if they were due to be added via update. The response confirmed that their absence was not an error, and that "the devs will be looking into implementing this post-launch." Well then!

• Haha 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atomic Heart (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Game Pass, 21 February 2023) - Information Thread, update - reviews from OpenCritic posted, no PC ray tracing at launch
43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Eventually.  Maybe.

Atomic-Heart-twin.png
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Atomic Heart will not include its highly promo'd ray tracing features in the PC version at launch. RT effects will instead come in a later patch.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

yeah I’m not touching this game until then come ON that’s the entire thing here

39 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was gonna wait anyways, since I assumed there would be some bugs and performance issues needing ironed out. I’ve got

plenty to hold me over. 

GamePass ftw on this though. 

they probably should have called it Harry Potter’s Atomicheart. It would have barely got any reviews below a 9/10. 

Ehhhh I think that lowers the score now. Hogwarts definitely got its score lowered due to the baggage of its license. I really don’t think there is anyway that game gets less than a 90 meta if it wasn’t for reviews that take JK into consideration.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Ehhhh I think that lowers the score now. Hogwarts definitely got its score lowered due to the baggage of its license. I really don’t think there is anyway that game gets less than a 90 meta if it wasn’t for reviews that take JK into consideration.

This one has the baggage of being tied to a Russian developer with speculation the money would go to Russia.

I haven’t played this yet but so far the most fun thing about this game is watching privileged resetera users go on a campaign to try to find signs that this game is made by horrible monsters because this dev team that happens to be in Russia won’t put their lives on the line by publicly disavowing their government. Such a simple easy thing to demand of people.

And now after Cyberpunk and Hogwarts Legacy bans they got so blood thirsty they had to start banning people for requesting bans on games because now everyone wants to try to nitpick out some “problematic” element to other games that don’t actually have the kind of baggage of someone like JK (I never bought their CP reasoning either personally, it was all mostly issues with one community rep..which they fired) and ask for all discussion of it to be banned.

That board is awful at guiding the social interactions people have my goodness. They created an environment of weirdos that don’t know how to process information beyond instantaneous gut reactions.

Anyway that is my review of this afternoons lunch time hate reading.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

I put in a few hours and it's a bit rough. My one sentence impression so far is unpolished Bioshock in a novel soviet setting. A lot of it is really slow, often literally. Climbing up things is the slowest I can recall in a game. As is you energy recovery. Even walking speed feels slow. Far too many little locks with mini-puzzles that the MC is already complaining about them in voice lines just a couple hours in. The voice lines really are terrible, the worst I've played in a long while.

I don't think the game handles it's big set piece moments very well. Even during much of the intro you can hardly look around, and there are far too many action moments where you completely lose control of your character, sprinkled in with some random 3rd person cutscenes. It's really uneven and strange, and seems like an issue from an earlier era.

I won't harp too much on the combat quite yet, because this game really slow rolls you into it. I'm still at a point where the Axe is my primary weapon, even having acquired a few guns and powers. Unlike the script, I expect the combat to get better.

It is super strange that it launched on PC without ray tracing, but otherwise it looks pretty good and runs well. I did find it odd that DLSS was off by default and when I turned on frame generation it gave me a warning to make sure I was sure.

It's great to have this on Gamepass, but I'm glad I didn't shell out for it.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:
UmQZE66TjFpmvjxHMM7giY-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Some content in Nu, Pogodi! really shows its age.

lol this was part of my rant earlier, the tweet it was based on got taken down after it was pointed out that it’s just a popular 60s Soviet cartoon and that someone had just freeze framed a painting that shows for half a second in one episode (the game features the whole series), it’s like stuff in our looney tunes etc. Like it’s not great, but probably nobody even noticed and I doubt they included an entire cartoon series just so they could sneak in a subliminal racist caricature  flash.

After that wasn’t working they turned to something about the colors of some flowers and then some old labels of meat cans as signs that the game was taunting Ukrainians until those were debunked as being misleading and eventually they started having to ban blood thirsty users for demanding discussion on the game be banned until eventually the thread was locked.

Essentially, that place showing its face that what a lot of them have problems with are Russian civilians, not just their government. Good stuff.

Well, I had some extra time and I've made it to the last boss. This game comes frustratingly close to being good, maybe even great, but there are just so many issues that prevent it from being something I'd even recommend to anyone without Gamepass. Most of all, I just got two game breaking bugs in a row fighting that last boss, but there was plenty along the way that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Starting with the most basic interactions, the knock off gravity glove feels like wasted potential and is at times a real annoyance. There are very few things you can really use it to interact with, and despite having some physics in, it was basically never a useful ability beyond picking things up, but they made even worse than it needed to be. You need to hold the interact button to too long to get everything from a given chest or drawer. The animation is cool, and you'd think after seeing a bunch of stuff fly at you that you'd have emptied out a given container, but you really have to sit there for a second to get everything. Also, the default key is F, which is a terrible button if you need to regularly hold down while moving around. I put it as one of the side buttons on my mouse and it was a huge improvement, making it much easier to move around a room and collect everything.

You really do want to collect everything, which is why I really wish you auto-collected stuff from dead foes, or at least the pickup mechanism worked more broadly. It's cool that you can dismember or blow up all the robots, but too often I'm losing out on materials because I missed where the torso went. I also don't like the 'economy' in the game. It's not immediately clear which resources are more or less valuable, and when you collect things, it doesn't add it all up, you just get a long scrolling list, so it's difficult to see what you're collecting moment to moment. The result of this is that I just collect everything and hope I've got enough to upgrade when I get to the next vendor. Making it more clear when you get something good, or just getting rid of the different materials would probably help.

At least the vendors where you spend those materials are everywhere, but I still wish you didn't need them as much. A bench to upgrade seems fine, but too often I feel limited by what I have on me. That got better when I finally upgraded my backpack capacity, but more than a couple times I've run into a boss fight, scanned the boss, and realized I didn't have the right stuff on me or the right powers equipped. Or even just that my inventory had been filled up by ammo for guns I didn't use instead of health pots. I get only having two powers equipped at a time, but I really wish I could change them on the fly. If I run into a bigger bad that is weak to ice, but I don't have my frost skill on, I guess I'm SOL. Even worse is running into an enemy only weak to fire, because I don't have a power that makes fire and I rarely carry many cartridges, not that they seem do do much, even fully upgraded.

The worst so far was running into a boss that was only weak to explosions and realizing that I don't have anything at all that does explosive damage. Turns out, as far as people can tell, weapon recipes initially spawn in specific chests, but if you miss them they're just added to the random pool. Since I learned that, I've been watching what I get from chests more carefully, and I keep getting recipes I already have, but I'm going to finish the game without having unlocked weapons most people found early on. I don't know if that's a bug or just a bad system, but it seems like it shouldn't happen.

I'd probably be less cross about this if the enemies weren't such incredible bullet sponges. Even with almost fully upgraded weapons even regular enemies take way too much to kill. Making the basic weapons so weak is one thing, but keeping your power level so low, even after weapon and power upgrades is lame. This is particularly noticeable when it comes to bosses, who take forever (especially if you don't have a great loadout or a rocket launcher). That said, I did like a lot of the combat, I just think it needs some tweaking.

That's more than I can say for the open world, which feels either poorly thought out, unfinished, or both. It's terrible to get around, full enemies that respawn endlessly, with very little to do. There's no fast travel, and the story doesn't come back around, so make sure you finish an area before moving on, else you get to backtrack quite a lot. The HAWK system feels like it was put in expecting the open world to be a bigger part of the game, but ends up being a novelty that locked me out of one of the testing grounds. I decided to overload the system on the second HAWK I came to, got the pop-up bock explaining that it would lock out the area for a while, and it never came back. I played for hours and came back, and it was still down. I think this is a bug, but regardless it's a bad system.

The levels and puzzle sections were generally much more enjoyable. The levels progressed well enough, the combat arenas were varied and many of the levels had some interesting visuals and world building going on. The puzzles were mostly fun and some even took a minute to get right. I've already said that the weapon upgrades felt largely pointless, but the process of getting them was probably the highlight of the game.

The world is rather pretty. It's full of interesting designs and great art. Despite the novel setting however, the story is so familiar it's almost comical. This is way past just being an homage, it almost feels badly plagiarized just in a new setting. It's also just poorly told. More than just cheesy dialog, the pacing of storytelling is terrible. So often it's being communicated in long chunks of exposition that is happening while I'm standing still, waiting for a door or in an elevator. Sometimes there will be audio logs you find right before a door that starts a piece of story dialog, cutting it off completely (or occasionally for me, overlapping, which I assume is a bug). Ultimately, I'd probably care more about the presentation issues if I enjoyed the story more.

There are a ton of other things, like using save stations, that scanning an enemy doesn't pause the game or add the info to a log, so there's no great way to use it in combat. There aren't any attack indicators or sufficient visual cues when you've alerted either a camera or an enemy. It's easy to stuck in geometry, especially while fighting the very territorial robots everywhere that knock you back constantly. When you skip a line of dialog, it just plays the audio really fast, making it sound incredibly awkward. The climbing is so slow and it's so easy to miss latching onto where you're jumping to. I could probably write paragraphs going on and on about how much I hate the locks, but I'll spare everyone including myself any more commentary.

I didn't really mean to write quite so much, but while most of this is just gripes, I did enjoy the game enough to keep playing. With a brand new dev it's hard to say what to expect from them in terms of post game support, but I really do think that a few good patches or maybe evens some mods would dramatically improve the game. Despite my misgivings, there is a lot to like here, and I can see why some reviewers were really kind to it. I just think the cumulative effect of all the friction points I ran into were too much for me.

• Halal 1

There's tons of little glitches with the ragdolls and little objects around. Also the screen space reflections are all really low res and pixelated and I haven't seen anyone else complaining about that. Not sure what the deal is.

lol I typed this and then saw there's a driver update. Maybe that will help...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Atomic Heart (PC/PlayStation/Xbox/Game Pass, 21 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry tech review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs PC
34 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

So, this game has no HDR and won't even use Windows/XBOX "Auto HDR". I booted it up just to see as the visuals are getting praise and was thinking "why does everything look so dull?"

@stepee

All the more reason to wait, I haven’t even felt like downloading it until they release the ray tracing update.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:55 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Seems like this is another one of those games where if you're not playing it in Russian language you're doing it wrong.

are the subtitles just as bad as the English dub? 

On 2/24/2023 at 8:44 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

I still can't get the decision to require a B button dodge while also trying to aim and maneuver using the right thumbstick. My thumb can only be in one place at a time and the window to dodge is frustratingly narrow.

Elite Series 2 ftw. 

• 2 weeks later...