Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Now! (Physical Version coming Feb 22), first OpenCritic reviews posted

Keyser_Soze

I recall not loving Prime 1 as much as some others because I wasn't a fan of first person platforming without dual stick controls. After seeing how much of a visual improvement this one is along with the control tweaks make me excited to give this a go. Certainly the first Switch game in a while I'll play through.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I recall not loving Prime 1 as much as some others because I wasn't a fan of first person platforming without dual stick controls.

Let’s be honest, first person platforming sucks with dual stick controls.  You’re more used to the method of movement and have adjusted over years, but guesstimating where the ground and your invisible feet end is a definite weakness of the perspective.  And it manifests more apparently with dual stick controls than anything else.

I thought the subtle tilt Retro did when jumping was ingenious.  I understand why they had to take it out for the dual stick option, but still.

I played Supraland not too long ago, that game tried to fix the problem by actually showing you your feet when looking down, to facilitate precision platforming.  It still didn’t quite work IMO.  Modern FPSs don’t often experiment with smaller platforms for this reason.

Just now, stepee said:

The one thing that might help with Prime is it being a dark game and the contrast on oled kinda making up for some of it.

I've seen plenty of footage and I'm not worried at all about the visuals. I'm more worried about struggling with the puzzles and traversing the world. It will be awesome I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I know. I hope best buy has one. It’s 30 minutes to get there because my parents live in the middle of nowhere. :/

Relax and enjoy the ride to get a new toy. It’s Friday night and you said you were off. Also don’t hope just check their inventory on the app. 

19 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Relax and enjoy the ride to get a new toy. It’s Friday night and you said you were off. Also don’t hope just check their inventory on the app. 

Too late. I'm here at Target and they don't have a pro controller. What about their wired controllers?

On 2/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, imthesoldier said:

I think Doom Eternal's map is worse to navigate than Prime's, and I'm sure some former Retro people actually worked on Eternal. No excuse really. 

100% disagree. Dooms map was easy to navigate. It always showed where to go, also showed where all the hidden stuff was. Sure you had to explore to find the secret stuff but I'd love eternals map style to be in the MPrime game.

Prime's map could do for some item icons for my taste, or at the very least a color coded "something is here," system. 

I could see how that might turn some people off, but RE2 Remake's handling of this was super respectful of my time and I very much appreciated it. There are like 2-3 choke points in Prime where I always kind of forget where to go or not know what I should be looking for, even with the hint system. 

Again, maybe a bit hand holdy for some, but I would personally like it. 

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I have that bookmarked for when I eventually need a new controller for either my Switch or PC. Maybe I should “lose” my Pro too…

I mentioned it in another thread but I replaced my Joy con sticks with hall effect sticks and so far so good. I haven't really played anything demanding but I haven't had any issues so far. They are only 30 bucks too.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Prime's map could do for some item icons for my taste, or at the very least a color coded "something is here," system.

3 hours ago, HardAct said:

100% disagree. Dooms map was easy to navigate. It always showed where to go, also showed where all the hidden stuff was. Sure you had to explore to find the secret stuff but I'd love eternals map style to be in the MPrime game.

There are a lot of purists out there who like having no hints at all. That being said they did add a hint system to the game that does tell you if you can do something in an area. Make sure you have that option turned on.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

There are a lot of purists out there who like having no hints at all. That being said they did add a hint system to the game that does tell you if you can do something in an area. Make sure you have that option turned on.

Oh interesting. Thanks for that heads up. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:25 AM, best3444 said:

It's got its claws in me now with getting a few upgrades. Unbelievable how things come back to your head. For instance, I knew this one room was where you save etc. The sound is not all that impressive but overall I'm happy with this. 

Yay or nay on this game?

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm litteraly stuck but the game is phenomenal. I'll get out soon with this walkthrough I have. Definitely worth the cash. 

That’s what I was afraid of. I hate getting stuck. And I hate having to keep looking stuff up. It’s like they enjoy fucking over the player and wasting their time. 

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

That’s what I was afraid of. I hate getting stuck. And I hate having to keep looking stuff up. It’s like they enjoy fucking over the player and wasting their time. 

I'm slowly figuring things out on my own which is a great feeling. Still not making much progress.