Lies of P (aka "Pinocchio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox), update: "Lies of P x Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Collaboration Trailer"

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P - a "Souls-like" APRG inspired by Pinocchio (PC/PlayStation consoles/XBox consoles/Game Pass) - "Official Release Window" trailer (August 2023)
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P - a "Souls-like" APRG inspired by Pinocchio (PC/PlayStation consoles/XBox consoles/Game Pass, August 2023) - 11 minutes of new gameplay from GDC 2023
pMG6pjLdwJJGD3E5g2MchT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I'm not proud of falling for the copycat, but this is where the lack of Bloodborne on PC has led me.

There are soulslikes that copy the difficulty of Dark Souls, or the corpse runs, or the forlorn fantasy worlds. A lot of them copy all of the above. But the fonts? That's a level of shameless reproduction that makes me hiss through my teeth a bit, which is what I wanted to do when I started up a demo of Lies of P, the Pinnochiosouls game we've been mildly obsessed with since last year. The twist, which I am still trying to process, is that it also seems like it's pretty damn good.

Lies of P is such an odd thing—I'd love to know if the developers decided the world desperately needed a dark and moody Pinnochio videogame first, or decided to make their own version of FromSoftware's Bloodborne before poring through the public domain to find the right puppet. If they'd just started it a couple years later, maybe it would've been a Winnie the Pooh game again. Whatever the origin story, Lies of P is 100% committed to the bit. 

The game looks and moves like a younger sibling of Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3, with the sort of measured pace that requires care in dodging big enemy strikes. You can run past mobs, but only with some deliberate kiting. Light and heavy attacks, familiarly mapped to a controller's right bumper and trigger by default, can be chained into multiple strikes. Perhaps the most telltale sign here that this isn't Bloodborne is that it's running at a much smoother 60 frames per second than FromSoftware's gothic PS4 masterpiece.

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P aka "Pinnochio Bloodborne" (PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: demo now available on Steam/PSN/XBL

Just past the first hotel. There are a few things that could be polished but man, I'm thinking these fuckers nailed it.

Only complaint I feel is worth mentioning it's that the first boss felt easier than I'd like. Didn't even use up my 3 healing items and was wide open for charged R2s. Feels more like a Dark Souls 1 level of difficulty while I was expecting BB. Guess I'm not exactly a fan of the roll and dodge but it works well enough.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinnochio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: demo now available on Steam/PSN/XBL

If anyone is a fan of Dark Souls 1 and BB, 100% try this game out. Has a nice weapon customization feature where you can give big weapons small weapon move sets, vice versa, and everything in between. I liked giving my greatsword the moveset of the club. It does weaken the damage, even if it says it doesn't but that it would be unbalanced otherwise. Oh, and the handle part is what decides the scaling of the weapon. If you were to combine a rapier handle with a greatsword blade you'd end up with a dex weapon. The main reason to mix and match is to combine weapon skills. The club + greatsword doesn't really mesh well in that regard.

• Halal 2

lies-of-p-image-2.jpg?width=1200&height=
WWW.VG247.COM

The longer Bloodborne goes without a PC port, the more games with hints of Bloodborne will be turned into Bloodborne by modders.

Everyone knows the dire state of Bloodborne on PC, in that it does not exist. But that hasn't stopped fans from continuing to ask for it on their favourite platform at every possible opportunity. To say nothing of the endless rumours that swirl whenever a big PlayStation event is on the horizon.

But while PC may never get Bloodborne (if you ignore emulation), there looks to be a worthy successor on the horizon: Lies of P. The Korean action RPG is borrowing quite a few things from the FromSoftware classic.

A demo for Lies of P dropped surprisingly during Summer Game Fest, and that includes PC. Which means, talented PC modders are ready to turn it into the game they never got.

This is exactly what modder (and all-around big Souls YouTuber) Garden of Eyes has done, starting with the model and iconic weapons of Bloodborne's hunter. Specifically, the Saw Cleaver, and Ludwig's Holy Blade.

I haven't played a single Souls-like, not even the good ones like Nioh. Most of them just seem like they're missing a crucial element in one way or another that the From games have. I watched some streamers play this one, and the gameplay looks pretty good, but the world just felt uninspired. It just seems too ambitious for their budget and it feels lifeless.

I should just give the demo a try though. If they can nail the gameplay, it could be at least fun to play.

16 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

I haven't played a single Souls-like, not even the good ones like Nioh. Most of them just seem like they're missing a crucial element in one way or another that the From games have. I watched some streamers play this one, and the gameplay looks pretty good, but the world just felt uninspired. It just seems too ambitious for their budget and it feels lifeless.

I should just give the demo a try though. If they can nail the gameplay, it could be at least fun to play.

Same feeling I got. Pretty to look at but like talking to a flat tire. Decent gameplay and presentation though from the demo 

26 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Honestly, Nioh is only souls like in the death run mechanic. It is more of just a level-based character action game combined with Diablo. While making a Souls-like is the inspiration, it is far enough off that it's as much of a souls-like as Zelds is.

I feel like their games have gotten less souls like as time has gone on. There are some base-level similarities, but Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is a very fun game, and it is more of a dungeon crawler than a souls-like. I feel it is totally underrated.

13 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

the world just felt uninspired. It just seems too ambitious for their budget and it feels lifeless.

13 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Same feeling I got. Pretty to look at but like talking to a flat tire. Decent gameplay and presentation though from the demo 

I played the demo and I didn't get this feeling at ALL. This game world is so much like Bloodborne that at first glance one would be forgiven for thinking this is Bloodborne 2. It looks and plays REALLY good and feels very polished. 

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I played the demo and I didn't get this feeling at ALL. This game world is so much like Bloodborne that at first glance one would be forgiven for thinking this is Bloodborne 2. It looks and plays REALLY good and feels very polished. 

The world looks too clean to me to be in the bloodborne world imo

Okay I really liked what I played of the demo. I played up until after the first kinda mini boss with the key and was able to level up a bit. From the demo it doesn’t seem to be anything insane on the challenge so I’ll go into this without cheats first and see how I do. 

I love how it looks and the combat feels great to me but I’m not an expert in these types of games. Definitely want to lose myself in this world a bit, atmosphere is spot on. Runs super efficient, maxed out at 150-165fps on my laptop at 1600p dlss balanced (and there is no dlss3 even). A few loading stutters but maybe it’ll be even better at launch.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinnochio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: "How Many Lies?" Gamescom 2023 trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Lies of P (aka "Pinnochio Bloodborne" - PC/PlayStation/XBox, 19 September 2023), update: new Gamescom 2023 gameplay