Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Trying to generalize about the success of this game seems obviously ridiculous. The game is successful because it's the first game to tap into like 20 years of pent up demand for a real Harry Potter game.

I also wonder if some of the game's success is in being set in a charming world with lower stakes, independent of the Harry Potter IP. I feel like so many AAA games create uncomfortable worlds that you can only interact with violently. These games can be great, but they'll never be something I return to just to chill out and sight see for a moment.

That's actually been part of my enjoyment of the game. It's nice ot have a nice, charming whimsical world instead of a bleak depressinn we're all gonna die any minute now hellscape but you still have time to do everyone's busy work for them kind of world. Or this is why sometimes I just need a game like Mario or something to chill out with. 

• Halal 2

Jesus, I just started the second trial and im 33 hours in. I just noticed that when I went to save. Im just constantly doing side quests and chasing map markers. 

at least a couple of hours is me doing beast stuff and hanging out in the room of requirement.

My ancient magic is incredible. My object throw basically one shots anything that isn’t a huge enemy.

• Halal 3

My only gripe (and it's nitpicking, really) is that the game seems to have level scaling. Which in itself isn't a big deal, but when I've been running around doing side quests to the point where I'm level 22 and the next story quest is level 12, yet the enemies are scaled to me, it begs the question, why even have levels to begin with?

I really do hope I reach a point where I'm ridiculously overpowered. I mean, isn't that the goal of being a witch/wizard in the first place? To be the most powerful wizard that ever wizarded?

• True 3
  • Halal 2

7 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

My only gripe (and it's nitpicking, really) is that the game seems to have level scaling. Which in itself isn't a big deal, but when I've been running around doing side quests to the point where I'm level 22 and the next story quest is level 12, yet the enemies are scaled to me, it begs the question, why even have levels to begin with?

I really do hope I reach a point where I'm ridiculously overpowered. I mean, isn't that the goal of being a witch/wizard in the first place? To be the most powerful wizard that ever wizarded?

Yeah I agree with this at the same level as you experiencing the same thing and also hope that through more spells upgrades or whatever this eventually breaks and I become super powerful. Or I might actually drop to easy at some point just to experience that. If I’m doing a bunch of side quests and bonus activities I do expect to be a little OP, and I want to be. 

• True 1

I generally appreciate the level scaling, especially in an open game like this where you can quickly out-level the main story just by doing side stuff. It would feel weird to me to get back to the “real” enemy and just completely steamroll them. Maybe there’s a compromise somewhere in there. If you’re level 20 and start a level 10 quest, maybe bring the enemies up to 15-16, not 19-20. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

I generally appreciate the level scaling, especially in an open game like this where you can quickly out-level the main story just by doing side stuff. It would feel weird to me to get back to the “real” enemy and just completely steamroll them. Maybe there’s a compromise somewhere in there. If you’re level 20 and start a level 10 quest, maybe bring the enemies up to 15-16, not 19-20. 

I think that could be a good idea. Also some games at least after late stage patches (thinking of AC) let you choose how you want to do it which works best I think. Though your idea Id be interested in trying.