Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea because honestly chest etc have very little amounts. I get $500 for doing side quests which is nice. My main purchases are health potions really. 

Shit you need to be crafting health potions. I got so many I can’t use them all. 

Also…………this

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I ran upon a random vendor in this village who was selling a broom for $5000 which was extremely high. Wonder if it’s worth it?

Nope. Broom differences are just cosmetic, as far as I know.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Money is pretty hard to come by in this game compared to others I find.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Yea because honestly chest etc have very little amounts. I get $500 for doing side quests which is nice. My main purchases are health potions really. 

Sell your gear! Selling gear is your primary source of income in the game. The chests with the eyeballs carry 500 gold each, but there's only so many of those. I wish there was a way to sell excess potion ingredients (how many spider fangs does one person need?)

21 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sell your gear! Selling gear is your primary source of income in the game. The chests with the eyeballs carry 500 gold each, but there's only so many of those. I wish there was a way to sell excess potion ingredients (how many spider fangs does one person need?)

I always sell my gear but still seems like not much dough!

32 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yessssss They need to let us sell materials. 

• True 1

Idk once you get to a point in the game where you've bought all seed packets, all potion recipes, and all of the pots/cauldrons, at that point you don't really need to buy anything anymore.

I guess that's another minor nitpick I have. Money goes from really scarce to irrelevant in the span of like an hour and a half. I think I had 40,000 gold at the end of the game.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

What do you mean by current controls? Are controls changing in the future that I’m not aware of?

No, thats the point. The flying is a blast, but isn’t precise, and definitely not good enough to build a sport out of. But I imagine they improve them greatly in a sequel.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:32 AM, BloodyHell said:

No, thats the point. The flying is a blast, but isn’t precise, and definitely not good enough to build a sport out of. But I imagine they improve them greatly in a sequel.

Now I understand what you’re saying. Yeah, I expect there to be improvements made to many aspects of the game in the sequel.

I mean also gravitating to it because it’s a phenomenal game and has always showed good in previews. I’ve seen this take about big brands a lot recently and I don’t buy that anything has changed. Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t exactly take the world by storm. Elden Ring was a new IP. How did Gotham Knights do? I don’t feel that as gigantic either. I’m sure Gollem is going to do better than Starfield because it’s a big brand right?

A license helps that’s why they’ve been doing those since the dawn of gaming but I think some people are taking that we are finally getting some good ones like HP and Spider-man the wrong way.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, Biggie said:

I ran upon a random vendor in this village who was selling a broom for $5000 which was extremely high. Wonder if it’s worth it?

I advanced the story and you get another upgrade for the broom but it costs 4k. I paid for it and will be doing more flying trials now. 

• Like 1

Trying to generalize about the success of this game seems obviously ridiculous. The game is successful because it's the first game to tap into like 20 years of pent up demand for a real Harry Potter game.

I also wonder if some of the game's success is in being set in a charming world with lower stakes, independent of the Harry Potter IP. I feel like so many AAA games create uncomfortable worlds that you can only interact with violently. These games can be great, but they'll never be something I return to just to chill out and sight see for a moment.

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Trying to generalize about the success of this game seems obviously ridiculous. The game is successful because it's the first game to tap into like 20 years of pent up demand for a real Harry Potter game.

I also wonder if some of the game's success is in being set in a charming world with lower stakes, independent of the Harry Potter IP. I feel like so many AAA games create uncomfortable worlds that you can only interact with violently. These games can be great, but they'll never be something I return to just to chill out and sight see for a moment.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, like the LOTR of war games, those are just miserable worlds. You don’t get to experience the world or that universe beyond pure violence and decay, which is kinda boring.

When the first screens of the gear screen got published, I saw a ton of negative feedback about how limited and watered down it looked, but after putting in some more hours and finally unlocking upgrades and traits, I think they mostly found a good place for gear in a game like this. Having a single stat may be simple compared to other games, but there is so much going on here that I'm glad there isn't a full buildcrafting system with an overwhelming amount of detail. Having so few aspects of gear to compare and upgrade makes the system perfectly accessible while not overwhelming everything else in the game.

I also appreciate that once you get the beasts and big pots going, there really aren't any resource droughts to speak of. I spend a tiny amount of time doing anything in the Room of Requirement, but I can go in, gather all the resources, and I can fully upgrade any new armor I pick up and I have an effectively unlimited amount of offensive plants and potions to use.

• Halal 2

I got through the first trial and then spent a ton of time going through the world. I upgraded my storage capacity, fully unlocked the lockpicking spell, and found a bunch of other things. The world has so much going on, and the repetitive items are fun enough. I really appreciate that you don't need to 100% these tasks in order to unlock all the gameplay benefits. I have all the gear slots unlocked now, but there are still a ton of trials left over. If I had to find every single one I think it would have driven me crazy.

I don't know if it's entirely purposeful, but I enjoyed that I could cheese a bunch of things with the broom. HFW put in invisible walls to prevent you from using the glider to cheese certain puzzles, but this game doesn't seem to care.

Overall, I'm enjoying the combat quite a bit. I do think the controls could have been better. Maybe the Room of Requirement should have it's own spell wheels, since there are a bunch of spells that you only use there, and I don't need my whole combat arsenal while collecting plants and beast items. I also think they could have used R1 for utility spell wheels, again, so seldom used spells like Repairo don't need to be slotted in whenever it gets used.

That said, I think there are a ton of combat options, and it really lets you play in a few different ways. I haven't even gotten into curses at all, but there are still so many fun combos to pull off. I might even up the difficulty, which is something I rarely do.

41 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m honestly wondering if Spiderman 2 will beat this for me and you know I LOVE some SM.

Some of the side quests are as good as if not better than the main quest.

I did complete the 3rd trial today and might need to really pull back on the main quest. I think I'm closing in on the end.

• Shocked 1