~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

My wife’s nephew came to town last week at the urging of my sister in law. Guy is super addicted to booze, and is supposed to start rehab soon. I’ve never seen this sort of thing in a person I knew pre-addiction. What a sad life to live, especially at only 28 years old.

Today is my second turn to babysit the guy. It’s weird being told by the rehab experts to keep giving alcohol to a person who has wrecked their life on the stuff, but his physical state in the morning after going 10+ hours without drinking is remarkably poorly. Disconcerting how a couple of shoots of whiskey are NEEDED to make him at all functional when he wakes up.

Hopefully he can start the detox program tomorrow

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My wife’s nephew came to town last week at the urging of my sister in law. Guy is super addicted to booze, and is supposed to start rehab soon. I’ve never seen this sort of thing in a person I knew pre-addiction. What a sad life to live, especially at only 28 years old.

Today is my second turn to babysit the guy. It’s weird being told by the rehab experts to keep giving alcohol to a person who has wrecked their life on the stuff, but his physical state in the morning after going 10+ hours without drinking is remarkably poorly. Disconcerting how a couple of shoots of whiskey are NEEDED to make him at all functional when he wakes up.

Hopefully he can start the detox program tomorrow

There’s a rush for us to discharge our washouts so they can go out and start drinking again every morning before they go into DTs, it’s the standard of practice honestly.

PSA

Only go to an ER if you’re actively dying now. Even if you need emergent medical care, I’m not joking. 

This is one of the worst shifts I’ve ever had and I need a bottle after this shit. The shit that’s the new standard is infuriating me.

• Hugs 2

9 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

PSA

Only go to an ER if you’re actively dying now. Even if you need emergent medical care, I’m not joking. 

This is one of the worst shifts I’ve ever had and I need a bottle after this shit. The shit that’s the new standard is infuriating me.

What if I go and I'm not dying but you're so angry you push me to the brink of death where I need to go to the ER?

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What if I go and I'm not dying but you're so angry you push me to the brink of death where I need to go to the ER?

Lol

I am on tren.

Its we’re just at the point of watching people decomponsate for days down until they code, we resus them they either die or go to the icu and die.

Rinse and fucking repeat day after day all the while they won’t hire nurses so we’re short staffed daily. the speciality services are refusing patients so they die down here to protect their numbers and therefore increase compensation.

• Sad 2

I wasn't sure if I wanted to trade in my S10+ to upgrade to the S23 Ultra, but it turns out Verizon will give the same amount of money ($800 in the form of monthly bill credits) for an S7 as an S10+ so :santasun:. But very lulzy and unexpected that they're giving that much of a trade-in value for a seven year old phone.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, sblfilms said:

My wife's niece and her husband just moved in next door to us with my mother in law. The husband was talking about looking for jobs, I made a few suggestions, and he was like "do they hire felons?".

Turns out the dude shot another dude in the face

:badass: 

We didn’t make it even a month without their first domestic violence incident. 

On 2/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, marioandsonic said:

I'm having an issue on this site when on my phone. Whenever I try to quote somebody or paste a link, the textbox acts up and starts to put in a whole bunch of blank spaces.  I have no idea why this is.

Samsung phone? The Samsung keyboard he been causing problems here and on ResetERA. Didabling predictive text seems to fix it, but obviously you lose that and autocorrect.

Edit - I'm going to leave the misspelling there, but obviously having predictive text turned on would have made it so I could spell "disabling" correctly.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Well, shit. Rehab?

My boss has no idea. If I end up leaving again to go to rehab I’ll lose my career. So for now it’s motels and hardcore emergency sobriety. Only have about $100 left though.

All I ever wanted was someone to comfort me 

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

My boss has no idea. If I end up leaving again to go to rehab I’ll lose my career. So for now it’s motels and hardcore emergency sobriety. Only have about $100 left though.

You're worthy of comfort and you always have yourself to provide it, and that's not being facetious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I'll definitely send you some funds, but you have to promise to NOT use them on drugs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

51 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I relapsed on crack and meth and got kicked out of my parents house. I am now homeless.

Seeing my nephew’s addiction up close and personal these last few weeks, I have a new appreciation for how hard it is to be clean. Don’t give up hope.

7 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I give up hope before I even use. That’s what always ends up leading me down this path. The depression, the loneliness. I’ve lost everyone I ever cared about at this point which makes it even harder to climb out of the hole.

You still have yourself and he cares for you. You'll also find new people to care for. Love multiplies when you give it away. It's also okay to relapse. No worries you're doing great. 

12 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

spacer.png

How's everybody else's morning going?

So I thought the wind took this down. Turns out it wasn’t the wind but it also yes was the wind. The neighbor kind of behind me has one of those temporary free standing trailer sheds. The wind picked it up and put it on top of my immediate neighbor’s garage which pulled on both of our power lines which pulled on my gutter and soffit and fascia and pulled that all down.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Demut said:

And that's why it's a bad idea for city planners (or whoever makes that decision) to put power lines above ground just to save a buck or two.

I did appreciate not seeing power poles all over Germany when I lived there, but I wondered if there were other advantages to above-ground lines since they're so common here in the US. In my search, I found this site.  A quick summary, from the site:

Above-ground power

Pros

• Lower cost. Overhead power lines are a less expensive way to get power to your home. They are also less expensive to repair and upgrade.
  • Quicker construction. Overhead lines can be installed relatively quickly, since there’s no need to trench.
  • Easier to spot damage and faults. Our linemen can see the entire line when its placed overhead, which makes it easier to spot outage causes or potential problem areas.
  • Can be built anywhere.
  • Any voltage can be placed overhead.

Cons

• More susceptible to bad weather, such as high winds.
  • More vulnerable to damage from trees and vegetation, which requires right of way trimming.
  • Vulnerable to blinks when animals and branches contact lines.
  • Susceptible to damage from vehicle collisions.
  • Less attractive.

Underground Power

Pros

• Not vulnerable to damage from tree branches; no right of way trimming required.
  • Less susceptible to damage from vehicle collisions
  • Not impacted by wind
  • Less vulnerable to blinks when animals and branches contact lines.
  • More attractive. Some people choose to install underground power lines so the infrastructure doesn’t obstruct their view.

Cons

• More expensive to build and repair
  • Fed by overhead lines. At some point, all underground power lines are connected to overhead lines, which makes them vulnerable to outages.
  • Susceptible to flooding
  • Difficult to locate faults
  • Limitations on voltages that can be buried underground.
  • Can be vulnerable to dig-ins. Make sure you always call 811 to locate underground utilities before you dig.

Call me crazy but if the majority of the developed world went with option B over option A for the past half-century+, chances are that option B is the more sensible one. See also socialized healthcare, gun proliferation or corporate money in politics. And it's especially weird to hear "But it's more expensive!" as the reason given by the nominally richest country on Earth (and probably in history).

Also, it seems to me that the majority of these downsides apply to things like water, sewage and gas pipelines, too. Do those typically run above ground in the U.S. as well?

Oh and I hope your insurance covers that and/or it's cheap to fix, GB.

12 minutes ago, Demut said:

Call me crazy but if the majority of the developed world went with option B over option A for the past half-century+, chances are that option B is the more sensible one. See also socialized healthcare, gun proliferation or corporate money in politics. And it's especially weird to hear "But it's more expensive!" as the reason given by the nominally richest country on Earth (and probably in history).

Also, it seems to me that the majority of these downsides apply to things like water, sewage and gas pipelines, too. Do those typically run above ground in the U.S. as well?

Oh and I hope your insurance covers that and/or it's cheap to fix, GB.

Well it’ll be my neighbor’s insurance first. Then mine. Then me. In terms of order of who’s going to pay for it. Haha. 

11 hours ago, Demut said:

And that's why it's a bad idea for city planners (or whoever makes that decision) to put power lines above ground just to save a buck or two.

6 hours ago, Nokra said:

I did appreciate not seeing power poles all over Germany when I lived there, but I wondered if there were other advantages to above-ground lines since they're so common here in the US. In my search, I found this site.  A quick summary, from the site:

I really think that if you see above ground power in the US it's just because wherever you live hasn't gotten around to putting it in the ground yet.

I used to live on a street that had powerlines down the whole way, then one day they decided to put them all under the ground, this was like maybe 15 years ago or longer.

So it's just a matter of time or maybe never depending on how corrupt your city is. :p

The woman I'd been dating for the last three months broke up with me tonight. Two days after Valentine's Day, three days before my birthday. And she did it via text. On the day that I also had a big-ass project due for work. :lol:  

I'm genuinely doing fine with the breakup, but the timing just makes me laugh. Clearly, this is for the best. :lol:  :facepalm:

• Hugs 4