Biden looks to compete in Florida, thinks DeSantis' "Florida Blueprint" is a reminder that Republican extremism goes beyond Trump

230520171212-biden-desantis-split-052023
WWW.CNN.COM

Ron DeSantis is going to run for president talking about his record in Florida. Joe Biden is too. Biden advisers believe they can hold up what the GOP governor calls his “Florida blueprint” as a warning to the country about what would happen if DeSantis wins the White House in 2024

The main argument:

Biden advisers believe they can hold up what the GOP governor calls his "Florida blueprint" as a warning to the country about what would happen if DeSantis or any other Republican wins the White House in 2024 – a human embodiment, essentially, of Biden's argument that "MAGA extremism" goes beyond Donald Trump.

Some more info, though the article itself is informative:

Still, Biden aides are also hoping the president will benefit in Florida not just from the contrast with Republicans, but from his own agenda: the reduction in prescription drug costs and an insulin price cap to appeal to the state's senior population; the climate change mitigation to appeal to young people in a state that has seen significant storms; and infrastructure investments that have poured into Florida from the federal legislation.

DeSantis "needs to out-Trump Trump," said Democratic Rep. Maxwell Frost, a 26-year-old freshman from Orlando who's also part of the Biden advisory board. "The president won't let him or the nation forget about the egregious attacks on democracy and personal freedoms and liberties that he has overseen in the state of Florida."

The Biden campaign has started to spend. Cable and online ads in Florida were part of a multistate purchase shortly after the campaign kick-off. And the DNC leaned into Biden's volunteer network to have what it says were over 130,000 contacts with voters ahead of last week's Jacksonville runoff that saw Donna Deegan become just the second Democrat elected mayor in the past 30 years.

A person close to the Biden campaign said that Deegan's win was  encouraging because she "ran a campaign on a platform that is a lot like the one Biden ran to build his coalition – a focus on kitchen table issues, unity over division and culture wars" and that the city going Democratic after turning out strongly for DeSantis last November "sends a strong signal to folks who count Democrats out of Florida."

I like that Democrats refuse to let Republicans have unfettered control over the lives of tens of millions of people. As much as I think it's great the board wants to help @Kamusha (I can't donate unfortunately), there are so many people in her shoes who are stuck here, and as long as I vote here, Florida Republicans are not going to run them over without a fight. They need help.

15 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I can't see Biden winning Florida in 2024.

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Flip Florida :lol:

It would help many Floridians to invest in Florida and help down-ballot races so the millions of us who don't want this extremist world of the GOP can have representation and fight back.

Just now, Reputator said:

True but I feel like that effort would be better spent to strengthen the places where Biden won marginally, like Georgia and Wisconsin.

They're spending resources there as well. The only way to have multiple options is to play the long-game and build. See: PA/WI/MI in 2016 which were long thought to be lost causes, especially after Michigan voted Obama by 16.5 bloody points in 2008.

There have been signs that centrists have turned on DeSantis and the Biden campaign likely has access to private poll numbers that show it's winnable. I'm sure it's within the realm of possibilities but unfortunately I'm just too far cynical these days to be hopeful.

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:

There have been signs that centrists have turned on DeSantis and the Biden campaign likely has access to private poll numbers that show it's winnable. I'm sure it's within the realm of possibilities but unfortunately I'm just too far cynical these days to be hopeful.

Your cynicism is understandable. I'm not even one of the ones discriminated against and I feel the hopelessness.

The abortion banning stance is a good way for the GOP to lose voters, though. I have to laugh about that. The dog catching the bumper analogy being tossed around is on-point. Legalized abortion has been the standard for so long, entire generations of people have lived knowing nothing else.

I really don't think any other issue hits regular, moderate centrist folks quite as hard.

The hilarity of conservative's media bubble, they are only governing for themselves and their party, and when their legislation gets passed it's lauded on their social media, their radio, and their TV news channel.

Their absolute shock when those policies are rolled out to masses and hated by everyone except them is a sight to behold.

• True 2

48 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Your cynicism is understandable. I'm not even one of the ones discriminated against and I feel the hopelessness.

The abortion banning stance is a good way for the GOP to lose voters, though. I have to laugh about that. The dog catching the bumper analogy being tossed around is on-point. Legalized abortion has been the standard for so long, entire generations of people have lived knowing nothing else.

I really don't think any other issue hits regular, moderate centrist folks quite as hard.

Yup, it was a great tactic for stringing along the “Pro-Life” morons, but it was an pyrrhic victory. It’s one issue that even a lot of centrist and conservative women are absolutely aghast about. The pro life lobby has money and loud voices, but the numbers are against them. I think DeSantis and other governors/state legislators just signed the warrant to the end of their political career. 

The only pro-life people I know are extreme religious conservatives, and man, I don’t think they understand what a small group they are because they live in weird little bubbles where everyone shares one opinion.

theres a Jehovah Witnesses community nearby, and I’m friendly with a guy who basically isn’t all in, but is terrified to leave because he knows for a fact his wife and kids would shun him. The things he’s told me about what members just accept as truth is disgusting. He used to work for the watchtower in their apologetics department/work/whatever it actually is, but now teaches in their community. He’s a broken man because he knows his whole life is a lie, but he also doesn’t know how to live without it. 

It’s hardcore brainwashing from childhood. He was born into it, and it’s doubtful he ever gets out. 

anyway, the tldr is that they are conditioned to believe the churches way is the only right way, and the churches way will always be the most restrictive because that’s how you maintain control and ignorance.

This guy had to hide to read the Gentleman Bastard series.

There is so much value in presidential candidates actually trying in states they can’t win, because most politics actually happens at the state and local levels. Having a person at the top of the ticket that takes a state seriously despite it being a lost cause for them can be the difference maker for down ballot candidates who are in competitive races.

But write whole states off at your peril

I may be cynical on whether Florida can be change but but I should remind those who think this is a complete waste the the mayoral election in Jacksonville was recently won by a Democrat woman. Her opponent was endorsed by DeSantis and Republicans even had a bigger turnout by 3 percentage points. Her opponent’s loss is a sign that independents are turning on DeSantis, especially after the six week abortion banned.

• Halal 2

On 5/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, Kamusha said:

I may be cynical on whether Florida can be change but but I should remind those who think this is a complete waste the the mayoral election in Jacksonville was recently won by a Democrat woman. Her opponent was endorsed by DeSantis and Republicans even had a bigger turnout by 3 percentage points. Her opponent’s loss is a sign that independents are turning on DeSantis, especially after the six week abortion banned.

Is that really an indictment against DeSantis?  I hadn't followed the story too closely, but there were a number of articles which seemed to point to the fact that the woman who won was a prominent public figure with a favorable reputation among many, who proved capable of remaining clean from some right wing attacks of her character.  

The impression I got was that the results of the election were really more the relative popularity of the candidate, than a repudiation of DeSantis.  Although I might well be discounting that too much, considering that she did win despite the R's having a stronger turnout than the D's, so she clearly won the support of the centrists.  Which is precisely what the left needs to focus on doing everywhere else.