Boys, Keep your power dry and your adapter cables straight!

Mr.Vic20

My take is that there will always be defects with new cards and also plenty of "impressive" user error masquerading. The difference here of course is the level to which burning can enter the picture. I've seen plenty of fried CPU and GPU threads over the years, but this seems like it could be a genuine fire hazard in select cases. Much of this can and will be eliminated by using a 90 degree adapter cable, but still, Nvidia/AIBs should have really made the pack-in adapter a 90   degree to start with, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, X-pert74 said:

NVIDIA seems to be really screwing up as of late; it's sad to see.

Still blows my mind just how huge the 4090 is, lol

I've been out of the pc building world for years now.  Still love it, just don't have the time/money for it right now. But yeah when I saw pics of the 4090 I was like:o

The prices are getting ridiculous and the size is comical.  Especially when I see they sell aftermarket support brackets to help hold up the card.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-4090-Graphics-Card-16
WCCFTECH.COM

The first case of an NVIDIA 16-pin connector, powering the GeForce RTX 4090, burning up and melting the plug has been reported.

GamersNexus and others spoke of this before the 4090 came out, I’m 99% sure I posted a link in the original announcement thread. This should only be an issue if you pull the connector out partially (the same would happen if an 8pin wasn’t secure). I was concerned until I received my 4090 due to the fear-mongering from YouTubers: you can feel the 12pin “click” in, so to not double check it with a nice push after doing some cable management (I folded my adapter and tied it) when you have a $1600+ card is really, REALLY, silly.

• Halal 1

49 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, 1d10t issues are likely the culprit and then a culture of "look, look, the horror!" doesn't help. That said, I still think a better adapter solution could help reduce the quantity of these bad tales. 

A cordless one that "locks in" is probably a better solution, like one of those "angled adapters" you see, but this theoretical one would switch from 12pin to 3-4 8-pins.

EDIT: Like this, but with the pin-type switch: 

90_Degree_Angled_Motherboard_24_Pin_ATX_
WWW.MODDIY.COM

Buy 90 Degree Angled Motherboard 24 Pin ATX Mini Adapter Connector Black for $11.99 with Free Shipping Worldwide (In Stock)

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I hadn't noticed until the 4090 thread when one of you posted the rgb light up one lol.

FWIW I think they were originally made for people doing mini and micro builds where the smaller motherboard made the PCIE slot have less retention. Some of the 2080 series AIBs (maybe the 1080/1080 Ti as well? Can't remember) were the first cards where on a full or extended motherboard that you may want to add one. My 3080 and 3080 Ti had very slight sag on the tail end of it as I had the FTW3 model from EVGA which isn't much smaller than these 4090s (not nearly as thick, but only roughly only 1" less in length than my MSI 4090). I believe the Founder's Edition 4090 from nVidia is the same size as the 3080/3080 Ti FTW3 cards minus thickness (FTW3 is 2.7 slots thick, basically every 4090 seems to 3.5-4) 

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Lovely! That said, the god damn thing is in and I'm not touching it unless I really need to! :p Tonight, the 13900K goes in though! :sun:

I need to know just two things: 

That level in Hitman 3 does that hold 60 now?

Gotham Knights - Does that hold 60 minus occasional small stutters now?

Those are the worst cpu bottlenecks i’ve found so far :)

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I need to know just two things: 

That level in Hitman 3 does that hold 60 now?

Gotham Knights - Does that hold 60 minus occasional small stutters now?

Those are the worst cpu bottlenecks i’ve found so far :)

I will report back this evening with my findings! I go to bed before most people have dinner so expect results by 5pm EST. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I will report back this evening with my findings! I go to bed before most people have dinner so expect results by 5pm EST. 

@stepee We've all had a bad PC moment, but for me, this might have been the worst. I about threw my rig on the floor tonight. After fighting with trouble shooting for 2 hours straight, I have now reinstalled my 12900K and am ready to admit defeat. There is a very long story here, but I'm exhausted from sheer frustration and I'm going to bed. This was not a good time! :sadsun:

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

@stepee We've all had a bad PC moment, but for me, this might have been the worst. I about threw my rig on the floor tonight. After fighting with trouble shooting for 2 hours straight, I have now reinstalled my 12900K and am ready to admit defeat. There is a very long story here, but I'm exhausted from sheer frustration and I'm going to bed. This was not a good time! :sadsun:

Oh man I’m sorry to hear! Are you going to try again or do you not know yet? I kind of had that moment when I ended with with a “pc shuts down every hour” after I got my 3080 and it was not fun times :( 

The good news is, you aren’t missing much already being on 12900k!

• Hugs 1

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Might be obvious, but did you update your mobo’s bios for the 13900k?

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Might be obvious, but did you update your mobo’s bios for the 13900k?

Sigh…yup. @stepeeSo I will try again, but here is the short version:

comp goes to bios with 13900K. Say it can’t see my boot drive until I move it to 2nd or 3rd m.2 slot. Then it appears again. Then reboot and I can get to the desktop. Reinstalled 12900K and bam, all the ports work again. Yay! OK, maybe it’s a power issue? So I strip out the 4090 and run off the iGPU. 13900K still works if I swap the m.2 slots around and lose a drive slot. Put the 12900K back in and all is happy again. That’s it for today people… 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

comp goes to bios with 13900K. Say it can’t see my boot drive until I move it to 2nd or 3rd m.2 slot. Then it appears again. Then reboot and I can get to the desktop. Reinstalled 12900K and bam, all the ports work again. Yay! OK, maybe it’s a power issue? So I strip out the 4090 and run off the iGPU. 13900K still works if I swap the m.2 slots around and lose a drive slot. Put the 12900K back in and all is happy again. That’s it for today people… 

*brain explodes 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So how many Z790 mobo’s did you just order?

• Haha 1

BTW, this is how I know that the “adapter is scary!” stuff is fear mongering:

0-DEE6114-D847-4-CC9-BEB2-88-F8-F0-A1-A8
5-C9-FEFD9-A85-E-4-F27-B818-E983808-D8-E 

I literally folded mine and tied it with a microfiber cable management strap. I just touched the wires because now I’m paranoid again, but there’s ZERO heat being produced by any of the cables. Just… like… don’t be a dumbass and make sure the connector is actually all the way in your GPU, and that your side-panel isn’t pressing into the adapter.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My theories:

1. Early BIOS issues, might have to wait for an update. I'm assuming you reset BIOS/cleared CMOS.

2. CPU is not making good contact with the socket. The stock retention bracket is known to be inadequate for LGA1700 and puts uneven pressure on the CPU. Look up LGA1700 contact frames to get a replacement that may solve this issue, but even if this isn't the issue a contact frame will also lower your temps by ~5 degrees.

3. Defective CPU.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

My theories:

1. Early BIOS issues, might have to wait for an update. I'm assuming you reset BIOS/cleared CMOS.

2. CPU is not making good contact with the socket. The stock retention bracket is known to be inadequate for LGA1700 and puts uneven pressure on the CPU. Look up LGA1700 contact frames to get a replacement that may solve this issue, but even if this isn't the issue a contact frame will also lower your temps by ~5 degrees.

3. Defective CPU.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward 3 as I have had the board runnign on the latest BIOS update for the last month, error free. It could be 2, but without an alternative board to throw this into it makes it hard to test 2 and 3 without a couple long sessions, which time wise I just don't have at the moment. So I'll shelve this little experiment until Christmas. 

18 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward 3 as I have had the board runnign on the latest BIOS update for the last month, error free. It could be 2, but without an alternative board to throw this into it makes it hard to test 2 and 3 without a couple long sessions, which time wise I just don't have at the moment. So I'll shelve this little experiment until Christmas. 

Where did you purchase the CPU from? Would it be a hassle to just exchange it?

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Where did you purchase the CPU from? Would it be a hassle to just exchange it?

Mail ordered from Best Buy. I'm sure I can exchange it, and plan to, but I'm still going to wait on testing it more. I'm just going to enjoy what I have for a minute and not get myself all work up for what likely amounts to a 5% perf bump. 

• Halal 1

56 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Mail ordered from Best Buy. I'm sure I can exchange it, and plan to, but I'm still going to wait on testing it more. I'm just going to enjoy what I have for a minute and not get myself all work up for what likely amounts to a 5% perf bump. 

Bruh, come’on… it’s at least 6.5%

• Haha 2

With my i7-9700k installed PC also shows I have 2 mice and 2 keyboards with multiple hubs showing  installed. I gave up trying to fix this issue. It messes with my head when I think about it but hasn't given  me any noticeable issue knock on wood so I've learned to for the most part not think about it!

https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/pro-series/12vhpwr-pci-e-cable/

@stepee@Mr.Vic20

Cablemod.com has modded PSU cables available for Corsair, EVGA, ASUS, and Seasonic PSUs that plug into 4x 8pin outs (directly from your modular PSU) and combine into a single 12vhpwr connection.

I might order one for my EVGA G2 and just strap my strimmer on top of it. :p 

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

https://store.cablemod.com/product-category/pro-series/12vhpwr-pci-e-cable/

@stepee@Mr.Vic20

Cablemod.com has modded PSU cables available for Corsair, EVGA, ASUS, and Seasonic PSUs that plug into 4x 8pin outs (directly from your modular PSU) and combine into a single 12vhpwr connection.

I might order one for my EVGA G2 and just strap my strimmer on top of it. :p 

Video: