2022 Midterm Thread

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s completely correct yet completely meaningless in the context of a debate for the U.S. senate

Warnock didn't tweet that it was meaningless in the context of a debate between senate candidates, he tweeted that it was an insult to diabetics.

And amusingly, even if outsida's assertion of implication was correct, in America that implication would have also been true :p Obesity is far and away the number one cause of diabetes in America. The vast majority of the 1 million Georgians who are diabetic are so because they eat poorly and are overweight. The cost of type 2 diabetics on society is absolutely massive, and is actually quite a relevant issue to a senate candidate given who picks up the tab for most of that care.

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What he said is 100% true though, so I’m confused at to how it insulting to us diabetics?

His response has nothing to do with being on record for saying you’ll vote against bills capping insulin prices. It’s a bunch of distracting nonsense and insulting for that to be your answer when people are paying stupid prices for insulin and you’re on record for being against caps, while trying to make it seem that somehow you’re for them.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

You mother fuckers making me defend Herschel walker

hes 100% correct, the amount of times I’ve treated diabetics in self induced dka is infuriating.

He's not "correct" because he didn't answer the question to actually be correct on anything. 

Warnock: I voted to cap insulin prices. Walker should explain why he said he'd vote against it.

Walker: Gotta eat right, yo.

I'm pretty sure Warnock is both aware that insulin prices are out of control, which is why he's been a leader in capping prices, and that a healthy diet is good. Walker's answer was a non-answer and pivot, and not a very smooth one, especially given how often his ideology seems to glorify fatty red meat, scare their supporters into thinking Biden will ban it, and attack things like Michelle Obama's school lunch program. I've never seen so many people glorify bad diets and then switch into good dieting as opposed to controlling out-of-control drug prices so they can continue to oppose the Democratic platform.

Nobody makes anybody defend anyone. People willingly do that. :p 

• Halal 5

1 million diabetics in Georgia are not prescribed insulin.

About 5% of diabetics are forever dependent on insulin, another 12-15% take insulin because of their poor eating habits and could get off insulin with healthy lifestyle choices. The other 80% of diabetics are not on insulin at all and could likely get off all medications, or maybe just $5/month stuff like metformin, if they would also make healthy lifestyle choices.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

1 million diabetics in Georgia are not prescribed insulin.

About 5% of diabetics are forever dependent on insulin, another 12-15% take insulin because of their poor eating habits and could get off insulin with healthy lifestyle choices. The other 80% of diabetics are not on insulin at all and could likely get off all medications, or maybe just $5/month stuff like metformin, if they would also make healthy lifestyle choices.

That can all be true at the same time as Walker not answering the question of why he wouldn't cap insulin prices.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That can all be true at the same time as Walker not answering the question of why he wouldn't cap insulin prices.

And this is stillll failing to explain Warnock’s tweet that Walker’s response is an insult to 1 million diabetics in Georgia.

Whoever wrote that tweet doesn’t know the issue at all, which it seems this board also doesn’t.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And this is stillll failing to explain Warnock’s tweet that Walker’s response is an insult to 1 million diabetics in Georgia.

Whoever wrote that tweet doesn’t know the issue at all, which it seems this board also doesn’t.

It is Incredibly insulting to more than 1 million Georgians living with diabetes that Walker would not answer a question about capping insulin prices.

• Halal 2

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The 14% of people who take insulin who are extremely cost burdened by its cost deserve what they get because of their lifestyle choices is what I’m seeing

I remember when the ghouls of this board celebrated the deaths of people who chose not to be vaccinated, but apparently we should hand hold people who eat themselves to death 💁

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I remember when the ghouls of this board celebrated the deaths of people who chose not to be vaccinated, but apparently we should hand hold people who eat themselves to death 💁

getting one shot every 8 months (easy) isn’t exactly comparable to lifestyle changes (very hard)

(to say nothing of the partisan implications)

13 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Where can I get my diabetes vaccination?

Unless you are a type 1 diabetic, your vaccination from diabetes is to stop eating a ton of carbs/sugars/starches. You’ll never need insulin.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

He's not "correct" because he didn't answer the question to actually be correct on anything. 

Warnock: I voted to cap insulin prices. Walker should explain why he said he'd vote against it.

Walker: Gotta eat right, yo.

I'm pretty sure Warnock is both aware that insulin prices are out of control, which is why he's been a leader in capping prices, and that a healthy diet is good. Walker's answer was a non-answer and pivot, and not a very smooth one, especially given how often his ideology seems to glorify fatty red meat, scare their supporters into thinking Biden will ban it, and attack things like Michelle Obama's school lunch program. I've never seen so many people glorify bad diets and then switch into good dieting as opposed to controlling out-of-control drug prices so they can continue to oppose the Democratic platform.

Nobody makes anybody defend anyone. People willingly do that. :p 

Bruh, there’s so much to unpack here.

you can be both right and wrong at the same time, what walker said was right, my job would be considerably easier if people managed their chronic health conditions effectively. Type 2DM is almost completely a self induced condition, yes poly pharmacy happens but that’s so infrequent to be not worth conversation. Does 2DM lead to actual emergency medical events sure, but when you’re in dka and you’re still asking your healthcare workers for soda, my empathy is dead. Everyone of us have stories of frequent fliers in dka that wouldn’t be there if they just ate broccoli. The above story, legit happened last week for me. Threw the patient out after they threatened a nurse for not giving them soda btw.

im a healthcare worker, I’m on the front lines of this every day. As I learned in the fire department the best way to fight fire is to prevent them from happening. I deal with people who expect me to unfuck their life choices in an er visit daily, so yeah, imma defend someone saying the actual underlying issue here because it’s my daily life.

Is insulin too expensive, sure. But I also know as a bodybuilder you can buy insulin r otc without an rx for 25 bucks. Have two vials in my fridge right now.

your health is your concern, you need to manage it. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The 14% of people who take insulin who are extremely cost burdened by its cost deserve what they get because of their lifestyle choices is what I’m seeing

I just checked, the average cost of insulin R is 47 dollars for a vial across our failed nation per the database, I have a union thing so I’m at the campus.

In my state I can go to wal mart and get it for less, if you can’t manage your health conditions for what comes out to 4 dollars a month, I can’t care about you more than you care about yourself.

im 100% confident your empathy wouldn’t extend to a maga chud injecting heroin who people like me treat daily either. They can’t control it so they deserve it, right?

I think insulin for type 1 diabetics should be free. That’s a complete no fault of your own condition, and we society actually would save money by the government covering it because it decreases the likelihood of potentially devastating effects of long range high glucose levels that are taken on by society as a whole.

But I actually question whether it is a good thing to remove a motivation ($$$$$) for the lifestyle change that actually solves the need for insulin if you are type 2. Any type 2 diabetic that remains on insulin for more than a few months (sometimes it is necessary at diagnosis to help stabilize your levels), it is because you continue to eat in a way that makes it necessary to your survival and the usage of insulin only serves to delay the time before you have issues like kidney failure, because your GFR is definitely going to continue to drop over time if you’re still shooting up insulin on the daily for years on end.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why would anyone take medical advice from a politician 

How about medical advice from doctors, which always starts the type 2 diabetic with “you need to change your eating habits” :p 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think insulin for type 1 diabetics should be free. That’s a complete no fault of your own condition, and we society actually would save money by the government covering it because it decreases the likelihood of potentially devastating effects of long range high glucose levels that are taken on by society as a whole.

But I actually question whether it is a good thing to remove a motivation ($$$$$) for the lifestyle change that actually solves the need for insulin if you are type 2. Any type 2 diabetic that remains on insulin for more than a few months (sometimes it is necessary at diagnosis to help stabilize your levels), it is because you continue to eat in a way that makes it necessary to your survival and the usage of insulin only serves to delay the time before you have issues like kidney failure, because your GFR is definitely going to continue to drop over time if you’re still shooting up insulin on the daily for years on end.

I’m fine treating the effects, but I want the disease dealt with too. the different levels of DM meds should be easy to access but I can’t accept your dm is so complex that regular insulin can’t actually manage it. 

Completely agree about type 1, I watch my coworker manage hers daily to a surgical level, she was dealt a shit hand and she’s a highly educated high income earning NP. 

My grandfather was a T2DM and was insulin dependent in his later years. Not really overweight and other than one hospitalization for DKA when I was really young, he didn't have many issues. He died at 87 from respiratory failure d/t pneumonia. Never had any other chronic complications from his diabetes, always stayed out of the hospital. I grew up thinking that was typical for diabetics. His diet was all home cooked meals from my grandma, no added sugar to anything, sugar-free this and that, a diet soda here and there, etc.

Then I went into the medical field and realized that was hardly the case for most people with the condition. Noncompliance is with every chronic health issue. We'd lose half our patients if everyone followed their physician recs for their conditions.

My grandma is diabetic, but doesn't need insulin. She's more overweight, but hers is all diet controlled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My grandfather was a T2DM and was insulin dependent in his later years. Not really overweight and other than one hospitalization for DKA when I was really young, he didn't have many issues. He died at 87 from respiratory failure d/t pneumonia. Never had any other chronic complications from his diabetes, always stayed out of the hospital. I grew up thinking that was typical for diabetics. His diet was all home cooked meals from my grandma, no added sugar to anything, sugar-free this and that, a diet soda here and there, etc.

Then I went into the medical field and realized that was hardly the case for most people with the condition. Noncompliance is with every chronic health issue. We'd lose half our patients if everyone followed their physician recs for their conditions.

My grandma is diabetic, but doesn't need insulin. She's more overweight, but hers is all diet controlled.

But big pharma is why people can’t control their chronic health conditions!!!!11one

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Bruh, there’s so much to unpack here.

you can be both right and wrong at the same time, what walker said was right, my job would be considerably easier if people managed their chronic health conditions effectively. Type 2DM is almost completely a self induced condition, yes poly pharmacy happens but that’s so infrequent to be not worth conversation. Does 2DM lead to actual emergency medical events sure, but when you’re in dka and you’re still asking your healthcare workers for soda, my empathy is dead. Everyone of us have stories of frequent fliers in dka that wouldn’t be there if they just ate broccoli. The above story, legit happened last week for me. Threw the patient out after they threatened a nurse for not giving them soda btw.

im a healthcare worker, I’m on the front lines of this every day. As I learned in the fire department the best way to fight fire is to prevent them from happening. I deal with people who expect me to unfuck their life choices in an er visit daily, so yeah, imma defend someone saying the actual underlying issue here because it’s my daily life.

Is insulin too expensive, sure. But I also know as a bodybuilder you can buy insulin r otc without an rx for 25 bucks. Have two vials in my fridge right now.

your health is your concern, you need to manage it. 

He's not talking about the underlying issue; he's simply pivoting because he doesn't want to defend his position to stop laws that control insulin costs. Y'all are arguing a strawman and then fucking its corpse, SHIT.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah let's make smokers pay for chemo, too, and women who get pregnant pay for their childbirth. Those are consequences of choices too, amirite?

I can't wait to run for office and have this exchange with someone:

Me: I want universal health care and an end to runaway premiums and deductibles, but my opponent still wants to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. I wish he would explain why.

Far-right dude: Hey I'm for universes but you gotta eat spinach.

And then come here and watch the g'damn contrarian tryhards miss the point and go, "Spinach actually has major health benefits," and continue to be disappointed with you fuckers sometimes. :| 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 2
  • Halal 2