~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 9/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

There isn't much of a consensus among experts.  Some authorities are suggesting boosters every 90-days.  Others, much longer.

It's becoming a complicated mess; in some cases the health risks of a booster may outweigh the benefits (i.e. men under 24 due to the risk of myocarditis).

However, If you want to completely protect against infection, it looks like you probably need a booster every 90-days but this doesn't seem to translate into much benefit against serious illness/death.

My pharmacist says six months after last booster or infection. There's definitely no consensus, but no way am I doing every 3 months. 

Get it to a year, and ill keep up on boosters.

Remember a while back when I said my two nephews got Covid but my sister (their mother) who was taking care of them and is vaxxed and boosted didn't? Well barely six months later they got it AGAIN. This time my sister did test positive and she's feeling "fluey" but otherwise ok. Couple of things... they boys' reinfection coincided with them going back to school. Pretty sure my younger nephew was patient zero because he just started kindergarten and in NC where they are, Covid mitigation efforts have gone the way of the Dodo. Pretty sure my sister got it THIS time because her immunity had waned... she's almost a year out from her last booster and was plkanning on getting the new one when she got infected this time. So now in my family, just me and my mother have not been infected yet. BTW, my mom has been living with my stepfather who just got over covid and she remained uninfected. She had JUST gotten boosted right before he got it. He'd been boosted too but he's in his 60's knocking on 70 and he has other health issues as well. That said his Covid case was mild and he's gotten better. Adding to the fact that I was in New Orleans for a week last month and despite being around all that nonsense and flying across the country, I never tested positive because I got my second booster a week before going on the trip.

What this all tells ME is that vaccines work. 

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Remember a while back when I said my two nephews got Covid but my sister (their mother) who was taking care of them and is vaxxed and boosted didn't? Well barely six months later they got it AGAIN. This time my sister did test positive and she's feeling "fluey" but otherwise ok. Couple of things... they boys' reinfection coincided with them going back to school. Pretty sure my younger nephew was patient zero because he just started kindergarten and in NC where they are, Covid mitigation efforts have gone the way of the Dodo. Pretty sure my sister got it THIS time because her immunity had waned... she's almost a year out from her last booster and was plkanning on getting the new one when she got infected this time. So now in my family, just me and my mother have not been infected yet. BTW, my mom has been living with my stepfather who just got over covid and she remained uninfected. She had JUST gotten boosted right before he got it. He'd been boosted too but he's in his 60's knocking on 70 and he has other health issues as well. That said his Covid case was mild and he's gotten better. Adding to the fact that I was in New Orleans for a week last month and despite being around all that nonsense and flying across the country, I never tested positive because I got my second booster a week before going on the trip.

What this all tells ME is that vaccines work. 

For sure. My coworker (who sits 5 feet away) just went home because his son tested positive this morning. So, likely that my coworker will get it as well since him and his husband will have been around their son all the time. Fortunately all are boosted, though my coworker is also immunocompromised. I wear an N95 when at work so even if he was positive this morning when he was in, I am pretty confident in not catching it. Plus I am double boosted.

• Halal 2

Did anyone not get side effects from this booster? Other than a throbbing shoulder I haven't got the feeling like shit side effect that I got with the all the other COVID shots other than the very first one. 

Of course there is still time for it to happen, but for the origianl booster I started to feel shit the same day and for the second shot I felt like shit for 3 days 

Just now, Air_Delivery said:

Did anyone not get side effects from this booster? Other than a throbbing shoulder I haven't got the feeling like shit side effect that I got with the all the other COVID shots other than the very first one. 

Of course there is still time, but for the origianl booster I started to feel shit the same day.

Moderna or Poverty? 

3 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Pfizer. All my other shots were Moderna.

That could be it. A lot of people have less severe side effects with Pfizer because it's less mRNA than the Moderna shot—30 micrograms vs 100 in the primary series Moderna and 50 in the booster. 

14 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Of course there is still time for it to happen, but for the origianl booster I started to feel shit the same day and for the second shot I felt like shit for 3 days 

My 74 year old father has somehow not gotten a single side from any of the shots or boosters besides a sore arm. Me and my fiancee, on the other hand, my joints ache for 1-2 days, my fiancee breaks into a fever each time (with the boosters it's just like half a day, but the initial vaccination lasted for about 3 days).

On 9/12/2022 at 10:03 AM, CitizenVectron said:

For sure. My coworker (who sits 5 feet away) just went home because his son tested positive this morning. So, likely that my coworker will get it as well since him and his husband will have been around their son all the time. Fortunately all are boosted, though my coworker is also immunocompromised. I wear an N95 when at work so even if he was positive this morning when he was in, I am pretty confident in not catching it. Plus I am double boosted.

My coworker that I mentioned above is also now positive, meaning he sat beside me for a few hours while positive yesterday. Fortunately I was masked with an N95, but he isn't wearing one :\

He was around a bunch of people at work, I wonder if they will test positive as well. Unfortunately, we are mandated to be in-person at least two days a week (though he can work from home now that he's tested positive), so even though it is likely that multiple people at work will have it and were close contacts, everyone must keep coming in. Great policy.

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with this? It seems silly on the surface, but there's no way to know anything about the actual quality of the mask no matter what's written on it or the age of the mask. Is this mask new or has he been using it for the last week straight? No reason to trust anyone when they tell you it's new, so may as well just enforce an "everyone wears what we supply standard".

• True 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with this? It seems silly on the surface, but there's no way to know anything about the actual quality of the mask no matter what's written on it or the age of the mask. Is this mask new or has he been using it for the last week straight? No reason to trust anyone when they tell you it's new, so may as well just enforce an "everyone wears what we supply standard".

I'd be surprised if a good N95 that you've been wearing for a week straight is worse than a brand new shitty surgical mask.

2nd-wave.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The majority of Canadians have caught COVID-19 since Omicron and its highly contagious subvariants triggered enormous waves of infection this year — with new estimates suggesting almost two-thirds of the population have had it.

The data is also broken down by age groups and found the highest level of infections by far were in Canadians under 19, with at least 70 to 80 per cent of youth now showing evidence of prior infection — compared to about two-thirds as of April.

But adults are also seeing an increase in COVID, with at least 60 to 70 per cent of those aged 20 to 59 years old now showing evidence of previous infection, and about 40 per cent of Canadians over 60 — up from just 15 per cent as of March. 

"What we observed is that children currently appear to be the most infected and least vaccinated, whereas elderly adults remain the most vaccinated and least infected," said Dr. Danuta Skowronski, epidemiology lead at the BCCDC and lead investigator of the research. 

Wastewater data shows we're coming out of the Ba.4/BA.5 wave -- despite limited interventions/mandates, Ontario ICU usage didn't even rise high enough to trigger the daily reporting threshold (150 people in ICU).

BMJPAEDSOPEN.BMJ.COM

For children, the collateral damage of the COVID-19 pandemic response has been considerable: ‘nearly insurmountable’ educational losses,1 deteriorating mental health,2 low routine childhood vaccination rates,3 39 billion missed school meals by January 20214 and millions of estimated life-years lost among students in the USA alone.5 It is difficult to deny the harmful impact of lockdowns on children, who are society’s most...

For children, the collateral damage of the COVID-19 pandemic response has been considerable: ‘nearly insurmountable’ educational losses,1 deteriorating mental health,2 low routine childhood vaccination rates,3 39 billion missed school meals by January 20214 and millions of estimated life-years lost among students in the USA alone.5 It is difficult to deny the harmful impact of lockdowns on children, who are society’s most vulnerable members. In this paper, we use the framework of evidence-based medicine to argue that child abuse is another negative side effect of COVID-19 lockdowns.

Yet, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that more than 11% of surveyed adolescents experienced physical abuse and more than 55% of adolescents experienced emotional abuse during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic alone, with socially vulnerable adolescents disproportionately harmed.21 These results were compared with a similar pre-lockdown survey which found 5.5% physical abuse and 13.9% emotional abuse in 2013.22 It is clear that child abuse continues to be a significant problem in the USA which has likely worsened during the COVID-19 pandemic. The high level of self-reported child abuse is consistent with under-reporting as a result of lockdown-related disruptions,and it is inconsistent with Sege and Stephens rather optimistic hypothesis. The paradoxical phenomenon of increased hospitalisations and decreased reports is therefore unlikely to be explained by a genuine decrease in child abuse.

We conclude that lockdowns have an unacceptably high risk of negative side effects for children, as evidenced by child abuse, the true extent of which appears to be masked by lockdown-related disruptions to schools and other surveillance systems. Rather than a ‘missing epidemic’, perhaps a more appropriate name for lockdown-related child abuse is an unseen pandemic—hidden in plain sight. More research on the short-term and long-term effects of lockdowns on child abuse, adverse childhood experiences and other social determinants of health is urgently needed to better understand the failures of the COVID-19 response and mitigate the collateral damage for children. Given the UN projection that child abuse will stabilise at a higher level, immediate steps must be taken to eliminate any remaining lockdown-related disruptions to the timely detection, reporting and prevention of further child abuse .

The desire for a sense of security may be a tempting bias towards emphasising the resilience of children, but it is ethically problematic to push children towards abuse in the name of public health. Suffering in silence is not resilience. In the face of uncertainty, protecting vulnerable children ought to be of the utmost priority. It is our view that the collateral damage of prolonged school closures for society’s most vulnerable members is a powerful ethical consideration against any pandemic response which involves their use.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

BMJPAEDSOPEN.BMJ.COM

For children, the collateral damage of the COVID-19 pandemic response has been considerable: ‘nearly insurmountable’ educational losses,1 deteriorating mental health,2 low routine childhood vaccination rates,3 39 billion missed school meals by January 20214 and millions of estimated life-years lost among students in the USA alone.5 It is difficult to deny the harmful impact of lockdowns on children, who are society’s most...

It's good to know the ramifications from the lockdowns, vaccine campaigns, etc...but the type of people who post this info (i.e. you) are never approaching it with good faith. All I hear when you post this kind of stuff (especially against lockdowns, etc) is "wah wah, we shouldn't have locked down and shouldn't have spent so much on CERB," but you never propose alternatives that wouldn't have A) overwhelmed our healthcare system, and B) sent millions into bankruptcy. 

Knowing the downsides of actions taken to save lives and livelihoods is important, especially when trying to figure out how to improve on those decisions in the future. But when people like you (constant critics, and only critics) post this info, it's tiring because you don't actually care about the issue, you're just looking to score points. :talkhand:

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1)  Canada spent significantly more than any other country on CERB and other actions.  How about doing what most European countries did?  It's not a binary decision.

• Canada's household income increased 11% in Q2 2000 while the benefits were being dolled out (vs. a 10% shrinkage in the economy)
  • In 2020, Canada's deficit was 19.9% of GDP (the highest among the 35 richest countries).  It was double that of Germany, and triple that of Ireland and Sweden.

There is something in between families going bankrupt, and their incomes going up 11% due to government funding.

2)  Ontario and Quebec's closures were among the longest in the world.

_118552313_hi030303032.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

What is the effect of one of the longest pandemic indoor-dining bans in the world?

3)  We continued to close schools after it became abundantly clear that children rarely became seriously ill, rather than targeting protections towards the people that did get seriously ill.

4)  As the father of 3 school age children, who were forced into "at-home" schooling for the better part of 2 full years, with cancellation of outdoor sports, etc. -- I can confirm that it has had a significant developmental impact on my kids.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Then all employers should supply N95s to their employees.