Assassin's Creed Mirage (PC/Xbox/PlayStation) - update: Digital Foundry PS5/Xbox Series Technical Review

Brian

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Maybe I'm confused then. Which one is going to be the next proper Assassin's Creed game on consoles?

Mirage is next. But I think they’re looking at that as a kind of side project. Kinda like AC Rogue was when it came out around the same time as Origins. I think UBI is looking at the Japan one as the next regular release since that will build on the current RPG formula of the last 3. 

Honestly I hope they really get back to having a main modern day story and protagonist. I know Desmond’s story turned out to be a mess. But the mystery of what was going on with him really was a huge driving factor in how much I enjoyed AC1-Revelations and yhe reason I forced myself to finish 3 haha

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Honestly I hope they really get back to having a main modern day story and protagonist. I know Desmond’s story turned out to be a mess. But the mystery of what was going on with him really was a huge driving factor in how much I enjoyed AC1-Revelations and yhe reason I forced myself to finish 3 haha

I think they could do some interesting things with the present day, but it will be hard to recreate what they had. The Desmond story line wasn't good because Desmond's story was interesting. It was good because it was a necessary vehicle to express Ezio's existential plight in juxtaposition of everything he was and was told he was. That is, Ezio is this bigger-than-life character, told he is the prophet; he successfully carries out history-defining tasks. But in the end, he is only a messenger for Desmond, unworthy of being told what is actually going on. He lives to the end of his days never knowing and gives a final speech to someone he cannot see or hear, only hoping he will be heard.

The Ezio games are such a good fucking trilogy.

assassins-creed-mirage-present.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

During a Game Rant interview, Assassin's Creed Mirage creative director Stephane Boudon reveals why it doesn't have playable present-day segments.

No, we decided to not put in any present-day or future playable missions in Assassin's Creed Mirage because we wanted to really focus on the story of Basim when he was in Baghdad in the Ninth Century. So, you are still in the Animus obviously. It's core to the Assassin's Creed franchise, so you will start with Animus and there's also an ending, but we won't have any gameplay for present-day during the whole game.

Assassins-Creed-Mirage-Roots.jpg
PRESS-START.COM.AU

Assassin's Creed Mirage Is A More Linear Experience Without Dialogue Choices And Other RPG Elements

The first thing we wanted to know was around RPG elements such as dialogue choices, and it was very quickly made clear that this was a much more linear narrative journey.

“As we wanted to tell a very specific character’s evolution with an end and one specific end, there are no choices in the dialogue that makes the character’s journey different. It is not an RPG in that sense, so yes, that means the story is linear, the character’s evolution is linear and yes it’s different from more recent Assassin’s Creed games and way, way more closer to the first game in that sense” said Beaulieu.

Speaking about mission structure, it was clear that within the four distinct areas there will still be some choice about order of when you approach assassinations.

“We are very stealth centered. We wanted to offer the players some opportunities to approach how you kill the target, so obviously how you play as the hidden one, you have to have different opportunities and in a game design sense, yes, it’s going to be different from one player to another depending on what you want to do.” said Beaulieu

“We have what you call black box missions, which you may know from other AC games. It’s also a different way to approach a location with the target, and yes you can use your eagle, or choose not to do it that way, so yes there are different approaches in that sense” continued Beaulieu.

4033227-acm_keyart_announce_20220901_6pm
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The 13th mainline Assassin's Creed takes inspiration from multiple games across the 15-year-old franchise.

I really like what I've seen of Assassin's Creed Mirage so far. Though Assassin's Creed's shift into open-world action-RPGs has resulted in plenty of good ideas coming to the series, it's created a trilogy of games that oftentimes feel disconnected from what came before. I love Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla, but all three, to various extents, put the Assassin's Creed experience into too big of a setting or overshadow all the cool real-world history with a less-impressive supernatural flair.

In comparison, Mirage looks a lot more like the series' earlier games. You play as Basim Ibn Ishaq, a young street thief in Baghdad who is inducted into the Hidden Ones (the precursor to the Assassin Brotherhood) and is tasked with hunting down members of the Order of the Ancients (the precursor to the Templar Order). Unlike the more recent Assassin's Creed games, in Mirage you can't pick between two playable characters, and there aren't dialogue options throughout the story. There's no giant, branching skill tree of abilities to parse, and the scope of the game more closely resembles the medium-sized Assassin's Creed games.

Sala describes Basim as one of the fastest protagonists in the Assassin's Creed series, possessing plenty of gadgets and skills that help him quickly move through Baghdad, like the pole vault, which allows Basim to swiftly cross gaps while running. "The pace of parkour is definitely faster than the previous games, so you have some tools to help you to go fast," Sala said. "So the parkour base is improved, faster. You do have new vanishing tools that help a lot. The corner swing is back, so you can just go really fast, turn around, and go somewhere else. It's a mixture of old and new mechanics, but nothing revolutionary."

Basim is even able to pull off a new multi-kill assassination that sounds a lot like a more murderous take on the Fear Multi-Takedown from Batman: Arkham Knight, allowing him to effortlessly kill several targets at once in quick succession. "It's not something you can do all the time," Sala said. "You learn it, and you improve it. Perhaps, at the beginning, you are not able to use that with more than two enemies, but perhaps it can go better. It's not exactly Matrix bullet time, but you have the opportunity to recharge this ability, and then, when you think, 'This is the best moment to take down several enemies,' you just quick-shot them, and it happens." When I asked, Sala said he was not yet allowed to reveal how much Basim can improve this ability or how players are able to do so (I assume it's tied to story progression or a specific side quest), but that those details would be revealed eventually.

Is the Japan one they teased a main game? I enjoyed most of the AC game so far, but...
Everyone since they began changing locations for AC games: Please make a China or Japan AC game

Ubisoft: how about some half-assed side-scroller since Mark of the Ninja is popular???

Everyone: uhhh... can we get a real one?

Ubisoft: we made a China-AC game!

Everyone: OMG!

Ubisoft: coming to iOS and Android

Everyone: ...breh

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Mirage is next. But I think they’re looking at that as a kind of side project. Kinda like AC Rogue was when it came out around the same time as Origins. I think UBI is looking at the Japan one as the next regular release since that will build on the current RPG formula of the last 3. 

Thank you. I'm really excited for both projects then (Mirage & the Japan setting).

• Halal 1

I’m trying the free month of the Ubisoft Plus or whatever they call their monthly sub thing, booted up Valhalla just because I wanted to see how it ran on my PC as I already beat it on XSX when it came out. Very surprised to see that it carried over my save game from XSX to the PC! Might as well play the DLC during the free month since I never bothered buying it :p 

No way in hell I’d pay $15/month for this though, the value isn’t there when compared to PS+ and GamePass IMO

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m trying the free month of the Ubisoft Plus or whatever they call their monthly sub thing, booted up Valhalla just because I wanted to see how it ran on my PC as I already beat it on XSX when it came out. Very surprised to see that it carried over my save game from XSX to the PC! Might as well play the DLC during the free month since I never bothered buying it :p 

Yeahhh, Ubi said they will be doing that for all games forward, though it didn’t apply to Watch Dogs Legion, I think Fenyx does the same thing though. It was great being able to play it in my living room or my bedroom on tv without streaming or moving things around. Hope it’s the same for the new AC games, they should have a multi system version of Connect too. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Are we sure it's releasing on the older consoles? Eventually that will happen.

Mirage is cross platform, the other new projects are current gen/pc only. AC Red will probably release close enough to GTA6 that it should work out for phase.

• True 1

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Mirage is cross platform, the other new projects are current gen/pc only. AC Red will probably release close enough to GTA6 that it should work out for phase.

Ok. AC Red will be so awesome then. Yea, Phase should be in a good situation if you're correct. 

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Are we sure it's releasing on the older consoles?

No, the Assassin’s Creed games after Mirage won’t be. This is pretty much the last year for big cross-gen games, I think that the only cross-gen games still coming out after this year other than smaller indie games are Assassin’s Creed Mirage, Dead Island 2 and Hogwarts Legacy. After that I think that everything coming out is going to be for current gen only, and I’m fine with that because I have all that I pretty much want for PS4 at this point and I want newer games to take full advantage of current gen hardware with no compromises.

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

AC Red will probably release close enough to GTA6 that it should work out for phase.

That’s what I’m thinking as well, and if Assassin’s Creed Codename Red comes out before Grand Theft Auto VI then that’s when I’ll get a PS5.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s what I’m thinking as well, and if Assassin’s Creed Codename Red comes out before Grand Theft Auto VI then that’s when I’ll get a PS5.

Are you a fan of the Elder Scrolls? I think part 6 will be released before GTA VI and it will be amazing. Either way we are moving in the right direction now and next gen will fully take off soon. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Are you a fan of the Elder Scrolls? I think part 6 will be released before GTA VI and it will be amazing. Either way we are moving in the right direction now and next gen will fully take off soon. 

I’m a big fan of The Elder Scrolls, and if The Elder Scrolls VI happens to come out before Assassin’s Creed Codename Red or Grand Theft Auto VI then that’s when I’ll get a PS5. :p

16 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I think that Assassin’s Creed Codename Red is going to come out before both The Elder Scrolls VI and Grand Theft Auto VI, because Ubisoft doesn’t take nearly as long to develop and release new games as Bethesda and Rockstar do.

Well both Bethesda and Rockstar have been absolutely ridiculous with Skyrim and GTA V. It obviously made sense business wise but holy shit has this been way too long of a wait for both franchises. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well both Bethesda and Rockstar have been absolutely ridiculous with Skyrim and GTA V. It obviously made sense business wise but holy shit has this been way too long of a wait for both franchises. 

Considering that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim came out in 2011 and Grand Theft Auto V came out in 2013, new games in both franchises are long overdue.

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

I think we'll see GTA6 in 2025. Elders Scrolls in 2026.

I think that we’ll see them sooner than that, I can’t imagine them taking another 4-5 years to come out. But I could be wrong. :shrug:

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There’s no way that it’s going to keep that rating, Ubisoft will take the necessary actions to get it an M rating.

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

10 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

There’s no way that it’s going to keep that rating, Ubisoft will take the necessary actions to get it an M rating.

mirage_I8wzLTO.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Ubisoft has reassured fans concerned over listings for Assassin's Creed Mirage which stated it would include "Real Gamb…

But in a statement to Eurogamer this afternoon, Ubisoft has made it clear these mentions are an error - and that no gambling or lootbox-style mechanics will be present.

"Following the announcement of Assassin's Creed Mirage during Ubisoft Forward, some store pages mistakenly displayed the game for preorders with an Adults Only ESRB rating," a Ubisoft spokesperson told Eurogamer. "While Assassin's Creed Mirage is still pending rating, Ubisoft wants to reassure players that no real gambling or lootboxes are present in the game."

Um...Assassin's Creed Odyssey has aged quite a bit. Disappointingly so. Not only did the visuals age but so did some of the gameplay mechanics. The combat kinda sucks unless I totally forget Valhalla's combat? It's extremely stiff and not satisfying at all. Kassandra doesn't look like she's actually standing on the ground, too. It's very strange to watch.

The character models look awful and mechanical. The game world is "ok" and 60fps helps but I can't help but be disappointed. Thankfully it was $12 but my very fond memory of this has been ruined, lol. 

Just the entire presentation is so mechanical and stiff. Animations included. 

I'm ready for next-gen now. Maybe I'll screw around with this later on this evening. 

I jumped to Uncharted 4 which is 2 years behind Odyssey and had an utter blast. It's obviously not on the same scale as Odyssey but it's better in every aspect. Oh well. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Um...Assassin's Creed Odyssey has aged quite a bit. Disappointingly so. Not only did the visuals age but so did some of the gameplay mechanics. The combat kinda sucks unless I totally forget Valhalla's combat? It's extremely stiff and not satisfying at all. Kassandra doesn't look like she's actually standing on the ground, too. It's very strange to watch.

The character models look awful and mechanical. The game world is "ok" and 60fps helps but I can't help but be disappointed. Thankfully it was $12 but my very fond memory of this has been ruined, lol.

I played through Assassin’s Creed Odyssey twice last year, and its graphics, animations and gameplay are all good IMO. The combat doesn’t suck (it’s better than Valhalla’s), and the character models aren’t awful. It has a bit of a cartoonish and colorful look to it so it’s not ultra realistic, but it’s an appealing art style IMO. Valhalla has more realistic looking graphics, but I personally prefer Odyssey’s art direction more myself. You seem to prefer darker more realistic graphics to cartoonish and colorful ones which is fine as we all have our own personal preferences, but just because you don’t like a particular style as much as another doesn’t make it bad.

I know that you’re a self-proclaimed graphics whore, but sometimes I think that you still put a little too much of an emphasis on graphics. They seem to be the most important aspect to you when it comes to games, and that’s somewhat hard for me to relate to because design, gameplay and fun factor are all more important aspects to me personally. But different strokes for different folks.

49 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I played through Assassin’s Creed Odyssey twice last year, and its graphics, animations and gameplay are all good IMO. The combat doesn’t suck (it’s better than Valhalla’s), and the character models aren’t awful. It has a bit of a cartoonish and colorful look to it so it’s not ultra realistic, but it’s an appealing art style IMO. Valhalla has more realistic looking graphics, but I personally prefer Odyssey’s art direction more myself. You seem to prefer darker more realistic graphics to cartoonish and colorful ones which is fine as we all have our own personal preferences, but just because you don’t like a particular style as much as another doesn’t make it bad.

I know that you’re a self-proclaimed graphics whore, but sometimes I think that you still put a little too much of an emphasis on graphics. They seem to be the most important aspect to you when it comes to games, and that’s somewhat hard for me to relate to because design, gameplay and fun factor are all more important aspects to me personally. But different strokes for different folks.

Visuals are extremely important to me and it's what I look for first in a game. Maybe Valhalla's realistic look is what made me so surprised with Odyssey's visuals. It's not just the character models that looked bad to me, the world was lacking a lot of texture and it looked really dated compared to Valhalla. I didn't even enjoy the hour that I played, either. I definitely won't be investing time into this because it's way too massive. 

• Guillotine 1