Trailer for "O, Canada!", a Tucker Carlson-created film advocating for the invasion and overthrow of the Canadian government

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

People should be media savy.  Tucker Carlson is an entertainer.  Ben Shapiro is an entertainer.  And, TBH, I think their media reach and real influence is vastly overestimated by most people (particularly the people that hate them). 

Fox News is mostly watched by people over the age of 65, and their ratings (while high relative to cable news) are abysmally low when compared to the population of the US.  They probably get more reach, TBH, because of the people constantly complaining about them and expressing outrage on social media.

What a load of crap. The people who watch that shit believe what they say. Fox News talking heads and talk radio play a huge role on why conservatives are perpetually outraged and spoonfeel them the grievences they can't think of on their own. 10 years ago trans folks were barely on the radar and now its all they talk about. Its the same shit with the migrant caravan apocalypse that mysteriously disappeared after the election. These people give their drones their marching orders and that outrage they generate for the sake of ratings ("entertainment") is currently being put into policy in multiple states.

• Halal 4

30 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

What a load of crap. The people who watch that shit believe what they say. Fox News talking heads and talk radio play a huge role on why conservatives are perpetually outraged and spoonfeel them the grievences they can't think of on their own. 10 years ago trans folks were barely on the radar and now its all they talk about. Its the same shit with the migrant caravan apocalypse that mysteriously disappeared after the election. These people give their drones their marching orders and that outrage they generate for the sake of ratings ("entertainment") is currently being put into policy in multiple states.

Tucker Carlson gets between 3-3.5 million people watching his broadcasts, or about 1% of the US population, ~500k of those are between 25-55 (i.e. most of his audience are old people.)

Looking at Ben Shapiro's feed, most of his videos are 100-200k, with the Ben Shapiro reacts going up to 1 million.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I still find it incredibly amusing that even though the Dominion case has completely outed the entire Fox News cast and crew across the board, MAGA chuds still go watch them praise Trump like the bootlickers they are and these MAGA chuds who believe in "strong men" either (a) don't know about the Dominion case and them being outed (so they're dumb, which tracks); (b) they don't care (also likely, hypocrisy and cruelty are the point so long as you can own the libs); (3) it's a conspiracy, those texts and communications aren't real, deep state, etc. Or a mixture/combination of these three.

It's so obvious yet it's the grift that keeps on giving.

Shit, I don’t think even Trump has any idea what the Dominion case has outed considering he had an interview with Tucker and was tweeting about how unfair the lawsuit was to Fox News.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Tucker Carlson gets between 3-3.5 million people watching his broadcasts, or about 1% of the US population, ~500k of those are between 25-55 (i.e. most of his audience are old people.)

Looking at Ben Shapiro's feed, most of his videos are 100-200k, with the Ben Shapiro reacts going up to 1 million.

The total audience of conservative "entertainment" is huge and they drive the direction of the movement. And people like Tucker and Hannity have direct access to powerful conservative donors, foreign dark money and politicians. This trans moral outrage didn't come from nowhere. The think tanks came up with it to keep their drones engaged after roe v wade was overturned and dissminate their talking points to the talking heads.

8 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

The total audience of conservative "entertainment" is huge and they drive the direction of the movement. And people like Tucker and Hannity have direct access to powerful conservative donors, foreign dark money and politicians. This trans moral outrage didn't come from nowhere. The think tanks came up with it to keep their drones engaged after roe v wade was overturned and dissminate their talking points to the talking heads.

The goal is to have content to counter any narrative to get people to vote for republicans so they can go and cut taxes and regulations. That’s it, that’s the entirety of their project. That’s where the money comes from and why big business dark money pours into these outlets

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The goal is to have content to counter any narrative to get people to vote for republicans so they can go and cut taxes and regulations. That’s it, that’s the entirety of their project. That’s where the money comes from and why big business dark money pours into these outlets

It is a big one but not the only one. Tucker has become a Russian propagandist and I'm sure he isn't doing that for free. 

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You seem to be ignoring network effects here. The ability of those 3-3.5 million viewers to disseminate the Carlson talking points to their family, friends, coworkers, social clubs, etc. amplifies the reach so much further.

37 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You seem to be ignoring network effects here. The ability of those 3-3.5 million viewers to disseminate the Carlson talking points to their family, friends, coworkers, social clubs, etc. amplifies the reach so much further.

Perhaps.  I just don't believe he is the influential boogeyman as those on the left believe, but rather he is a far right nutjob that panders to a bunch of old people that still watch cable TV. 

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Perhaps.  I just don't believe he is the influential boogeyman as those on the left believe, but rather he is a far right nutjob that panders to a bunch of old people that still watch cable TV. 

He literally had a direct line to the president and coordinated talking points with trump when he was in office. How in the fuck is that not influential??

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think believing that Tucker Carlson is somehow this niche figure with no political influence kind of explains a lot of your general political stance. The actually the left is out of control and conservatives are fine besides a few silly bad apples thing.

I think starting from that perspective where by far one of the most influential and dangerous conservatives in America..isn’t influential..then you kind of end up with no influential conservatives besides Trump and Mitch. And if nobody is influential then I guess there isn’t any actual problem. 

• Like 3
  • Halal 1

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think believing that Tucker Carlson is somehow this niche figure with no political influence kind of explains a lot of your general political stance. The actually the left is out of control and conservatives are fine besides a few silly bad apples thing.

I think starting from that perspective where by far one of the most influential and dangerous conservatives in America..isn’t influential..then you kind of end up with no influential conservatives besides Trump and Mitch. And if nobody is influential then I guess there isn’t any actual problem. 

And Tucker is far from the only talking head. Right wing talk radio is massive and if anything even more unhinged than Tucker.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You haven’t experienced Real America (tm) until you listen to AM radio

I’ve been interviewed by a few syndicated conservative talk radio people about theater stuff over the years, and listening to them while waiting to get brought on is…enlightening.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

It was always jarring when the Mariners broadcast would end and Savage Nation or something else wild would come on. 

Legit one of my favorite things to listen to as a teenager were the freaks on Coast to Coast AM

Arguing which right wing commentator has a bigger influence completely misses the forest for the trees. They all blend together and repeat talking points from other far right grifters. If Carlson has the highest rated cable news program then you better bet your ass that other far right commentator take notice and smuggle white supremacist language into their messaging.

Just look at how right wing media is obsessed with demonizing trans people. They are all essentially saying the same thing, it’s just that some use language that is more obviously extreme than the other, and listeners get to chose how overtly extreme they want their commentators to sound. Not every right ringer is explicitly calling for the “eradication of transgenderism” like Michael Knowles did at CPAC, but they are all essentially saying it with how they continuously speak about the trans community.

• Like 2
  • Halal 3

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Back on ign there was a user who once argued dead kids were preferential to higher taxes and people still debated him.

Dead people are preferential to school closures in his world. I don’t know why you entertain it. The entire worldview hurts people.

3 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Carlson has the highest rated cable news program then you better bet your ass that other far right commentator take notice and smuggle white supremacist language into their messaging.

It goes both ways, he definitely uses and has used WS language in his nightly broadcasts. 

3 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Back on ign there was a user who once argued dead kids were preferential to higher taxes and people still debated him.

Dead people are preferential to school closures in his world. I don’t know why you entertain it. The entire worldview hurts people.

Who was that?

PIZZA THREAD :p 

Well made pineapple pizza with ham where the pineapple isn't hot and soggy (but still warm-ish) but the ham has properly been cooked and melted into the cheese, etc. is really fucking good. I've only tried pineapple pizza finally a few years ago after just blindly agreeing with everyone else that it's an abomination to man. Then I ordered one from a great pizza place in Philly and I was like: "this is really good". 

Now, I think the issue is, even moreso than many other pizzas, is it's really easy to fuck up pineapple pizza when making it. Since you're dealing with fruit you have to properly cook the ingredients accordingly, which most pizza places don't do (since most pizza places are just okay). Also, @Spork3245's picture of a pineapple pizza (are we still saying Hawaiian?) is a terrible representation (just using it as an example). You wouldn't keep the pineapple as rings on the pizza (or I wouldn't like it that way anyway) as that would make it hard to eat in bites as your teeth would have to tear through the ring unless you want to eat the whole ring at once. It needs to be chopped into pieces and spread throughout the pizza. You're also going to heat/cook the pineapple poorly keeping it as a ring as well, I think. Also not sure it makes a difference but Sicilian-style pizza with pineapple is not what I tried (which is what is in the picture). 

Anyways, TL;DR - for anyone who has ignored pineapple pizza, try it again from a reputable pizza place, be open minded. The sweet and savory flavor mix is actually quite nice.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Also, @Spork3245's picture of a pineapple pizza (are we still saying Hawaiian?) is a terrible representation (just using it as an example).

It’s Canadian so that’s probably how they make it because Canada. Also, Hawaiian Pizza has pineapple and ham. Pineapple pizza is just pineapple and no other toppings besides cheese.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

PIZZA THREAD

Well made pineapple pizza with ham where the pineapple isn't hot and soggy (but still warm-ish) but the ham has properly been cooked and melted into the cheese, etc. is really fucking good. I've only tried pineapple pizza finally a few years ago after just blindly agreeing with everyone else that it's an abomination to man. Then I ordered one from a great pizza place in Philly and I was like: "this is really good". 

Now, I think the issue is, even moreso than many other pizzas, is it's really easy to fuck up pineapple pizza when making it. Since you're dealing with fruit you have to properly cook the ingredients accordingly, which most pizza places don't do (since most pizza places are just okay). Also, @Spork3245's picture of a pineapple pizza (are we still saying Hawaiian?) is a terrible representation (just using it as an example). You wouldn't keep the pineapple as rings on the pizza (or I wouldn't like it that way anyway) as that would make it hard to eat in bites as your teeth would have to tear through the ring unless you want to eat the whole ring at once. It needs to be chopped into pieces and spread throughout the pizza. You're also going to heat/cook the pineapple poorly keeping it as a ring as well, I think.

Anyways, TL;DR - for anyone who has ignored pineapple pizza, try it again from a reputable pizza place, be open minded. The sweet and savory flavor mix is actually quite nice.

Even better, put fresh jalapeños on it. That's actually hard to find, as 95% of pizza places use pickled jalapeños, which in my opinion should only ever be used on cold cut sandwiches and literally nothing else, ever.

The combination of pineapple cooked properly with fresh jalapeños is *chef's kiss* A little heat to balance the sweet, baby. Pair it with salty cured meat and you are literally covering every element of flavor in one bite. Salty, meaty, fatty, spicy, sweet, acidic.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s Canadian so that’s probably how they make it because Canada. Also, Hawaiian Pizza has pineapple and ham. Pineapple pizza is just pineapple and no other toppings besides cheese.

Ah, I didn't realize the distinction, that's good to know! Makes sense, Hawaiian just seems vaguely ethnic in a weird way. :p Still, giant pineapple rings on Sicilian-style slices? I'd try it but seems strange.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Even better, put fresh jalapeños on it. That's actually hard to find, as 95% of pizza places use pickled jalapeños, which in my opinion should only ever be used on cold cut sandwiches and literally nothing else, ever.

The combination of pineapple cooked properly with fresh jalapeños is *chef's kiss* A little heat to balance the sweet, baby. Pair it with salty cured meat and you are literally covering every element of flavor in one bite. Salty, meaty, fatty, spicy, sweet, acidic.

definitely want to try this - fresh jalapenos (agreed pickled ones wouldn't work at all) with cured meat - sounds really good. :drool:

14 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Blame Canada!

if Tucker had brought this up, the war might have started already. 

Not taking lessons from persons who have consistently eschewed actual culinary preparation with penny-pinching mass industrialization, in the richest country natch.

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's not how it is made here.  That has to be an American thing.

? Which one. I've seen a few places have "hawaiian pizza" (Ham & Pineapple) with at most some having a variant which throws in bacon (pizzaiolo).

Yet on that subject, I had hawaiian / pineapple & ham pizza far more when I lived in California than I have  while in Canada (my sister use to order it all the time).