Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

15 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I just watched this video review, and while there’s a lot of YouTube game reviews trashing Saints Row this is one of the worst that I’ve seen yet.

I’ve never liked this guy, he’s smug, opinionated and trashes a lot of games that I like. I’m all for people having their own opinion, but this guy shares his in a dickish way.

While some of his complaints are valid, they’re also exaggerated. He literally says that everything about the game sucks, except for its world which he’s a little positive about. He says that it’s the worst game that he’s played in the last five years. :rolleyes:

I watched the entire game be played and it was not very great imo. The story I mean. 

But Synthetic Man is such a whiny bitch who makes wish you had different opinions when his critiques line up with your. He isn't anyone worth watching. 

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

I watched the entire game be played and it was not very great imo. The story I mean.

I haven’t played too many story missions yet, but I’ve been finding the story to be ok so far. It’s been just entertaining enough to keep me somewhat interested in it. The story missions themselves have been pretty good, and the game in general is just fun to pick up and play IMO.

10 hours ago, Bacon said:

But Synthetic Man is such a whiny bitch who makes wish you had different opinions when his critiques line up with your. He isn't anyone worth watching. 

He overdoes it with the negativity IMO. He has some legit complaints sometimes, but exaggerates them in a smug matter of fact way that I find annoying. Saying that Saints Row is the worst game that he’s played in the last five years is an example of that. Disliking it for his own personal reasons is fine, but saying something like that makes it hard to take anything that he says seriously. You’re right, he’s not worth watching.

The following is another negative Saints Row video review that I don’t really have a problem with because while the reviewer exaggerates his complaints as well, he does it in a comedic and humorous way that actually made me chuckle a few times:

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

People play Saints Row games for the story?

Not that I’m aware of, they’re definitely gameplay first story second type of games. But the past games have had some entertaining stories IMO, especially Saints Row 2. The story in this new one has been mildly entertaining so far, but not as good as the past games IMO.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

People play Saints Row games for the story?

I mean, kinda, but not really in the same way people play something like RDR2 for the story. With a few exceptions, if a single player game doesn't have a decent enough story I won't want to play it.  

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, kinda, but not really in the same way people play something like RDR2 for the story. With a few exceptions, if a single player game doesn't have a decent enough story I won't want to play it.  

You should probably stay away from Saints Row. It’s more about mayhem and fart jokes than story

• True 2

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You should probably stay away from Saints Row. It’s more about mayhem and fart jokes than story

I mean, I played 1-3 and enjoyed them. But yeah, I have no real interest in this game. I just watched MOONMOON play it start to finish. That's why I really only judging the story. 

I'm approximately 10+ hours in and I'm enjoying every thing about it. I even care about the characters and the story has me wanting to know what will happen next. 

I'm loving collecting cars and pimping them out. I did a handful of side missions this afternoon with main missions sprinkled in. 

The game is just flat out fun to play so I'm very happy I chose to play this.

• Halal 2

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm approximately 10+ hours in and I'm enjoying every thing about it. I even care about the characters and the story has me wanting to know what will happen next. 

I'm loving collecting cars and pimping them out. I did a handful of side missions this afternoon with main missions sprinkled in. 

The game is just flat out fun to play so I'm very happy I chose to play this.

Same 

• Halal 1

One thing that I’ve noticed about most negative Saints Row video reviews is that they have some of the worst looking player created characters imaginable. They purposely make them look as goofy, ridiculous, stupid and ugly as possible. This makes me think that they never intended to take the game even a little serious, because I don’t know how you can if your character is a complete laughingstock. Sure the game is somewhat silly and over the top in a lot of ways, but there’s still some seriousness to it at least enough to where I would think that people would want to make their character look somewhat appealing, badass and cool.

No matter what game that I play I like to have an appealing and likable character to play as, but I especially do in games that allow me to create my own character. My character in every Saints Row game that I’ve played starting with 2 up until this new one has always been a cool looking femme fatale badass, and that’s part of what makes the games so enjoyable to play because I like the character that I’m playing as. I wouldn’t enjoy the games at all if I had to play as some goofy, ridiculous and ugly looking joke character. I guess that for some people making their character like that is funny and if that’s how they enjoy playing the game then more power to them, but I personally don’t really see the appeal myself. Different strokes for different folks.

• True 1

I had a lot of fun playing the game today, and I didn’t do a single story mission. I’ve been enjoying doing the criminal ventures, and dealing with all of the threats on the map. It’s just a fun game to play outside of the story missions, but I plan on doing some tomorrow when I play it again. It’s the most fun that I’ve had with a game in a while, third person open world games like this are some of my favorites.

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I had a lot of fun playing the game today, and I didn’t do a single story mission. I’ve been enjoying doing the criminal ventures, and dealing with all of the threats on the map. It’s just a fun game to play outside of the story missions, but I plan on doing some tomorrow when I play it again. It’s the most fun that I’ve had with a game in a while, third person open world games like this are some of my favorites.

Completely agree. I freakin woke up at 3am today because I wanted to play, lol. I did a lot of side missions and then 2 main missions. The main missions steal the show but all activities and missions are so fun, too.

I've collected a ton of cars/helicopter and have found decorating items throughout the world. I'm pippin the church out nicely. 

I had to turn the difficulty down to tourist a few times because this game can be overwhelming with the amount of enemies that attack you in all different directions.

Overall, this is a solid 8/10 game and I'm so happy the reviews were way off.

Also, I have not ran into one bug in the 13 or so hours I've played. Just fun stuff here.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I had to turn the difficulty down to tourist a few times because this game can be overwhelming with the amount of enemies that attack you in all different directions.

I’m currently playing on the hustler difficulty, and it seems to be the sweet spot for me as it presents a good challenge without being too hard. But I still feel that there’s too many enemies attacking you a lot of the time, it gets a little ridiculous. And it upsets me when the enemies call for backup, and even more show up. They can keep doing this as much as they want, so unless you kill the enemy calling for backup it will be a continuous wave of them. But the enemies calling for backup are usually the ones furthest from you, and I don’t always notice them until it’s too late. It’s frustrating.

I have not ran into one bug in the 13 or so hours I've played.

You’re lucky, because I’ve actually been encountering quite a few bugs. I’ve had to restart the game more times than I would like. The bugs are probably my biggest issue with the game at this point, because they’ve been a little more constant than I would like. I don’t mind the occasional bug here and there, but when I get them back to back which I sometimes do it starts to hinder my overall enjoyment.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m currently playing on the hustler difficulty, and it seems to be the sweet spot for me as it presents a good challenge without being too hard. But I still feel that there’s too many enemies attacking you a lot of the time, it gets a little ridiculous. And it upsets me when the enemies call for backup, and even more show up. They can keep doing this as much as they want, so unless you kill the enemy calling for backup it will be a continuous wave of them. But the enemies calling for backup are usually the ones furthest from you, and I don’t always notice them until it’s too late. It’s frustrating.

You’re lucky, because I’ve actually been encountering quite a few bugs. I’ve had to restart the game more times than I would like. The bugs are probably my biggest issue with the game at this point, because they’ve been a little more constant than I would like. I don’t mind the occasional bug here and there, but when I get them back to back which I sometimes do it starts to hinder my overall enjoyment.

I'm 15 hours in most likely and I finally got stuck between a van and a wall and had to quit out of the game. That was litteraly the only bug so far. 

I'm 15 hours in most likely and I finally got stuck between a van and a wall and had to quit out of the game. That was litteraly the only bug so far. 

He's playing on PS4 so that version may have more bugs than the current gen versions. I haven't run into ANY bugs that required a restart yet. Just weird physics bugs here and there. Also off topic, @best3444 I heard you say you are kind of a graphics guy... if you want a game that looks really good on current gen consoles get Watchdogs Legion. That game is downright beautiful in some parts of London ESPECIALLY at night. shoudl be pretty cheap now too.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's playing on PS4 so that version may have more bugs than the current gen versions. I haven't run into ANY bugs that required a restart yet. Just weird physics bugs here and there. Also off topic, @best3444 I heard you say you are kind of a graphics guy... if you want a game that looks really good on current gen consoles get Watchdogs Legion. That game is downright beautiful in some parts of London ESPECIALLY at night. shoudl be pretty cheap now too.

Graphics guy? No @best3444 is a graphics whore lol

• Like 1
  • True 1

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmm, never played Watchdogs Legion. I'll do some research on it and thanks for the heads up!

Also, you're probably right about the PS4 version of Saints Row having more issues when compared to the current gen consoles. I'm about to play more so we shall see if I run into any issues. :thinking:

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Hmm, never played Watchdogs Legion. I'll do some research on it and thanks for the heads up!

It's on sale for Xbox for $15 right now. Or you could be a gamblin' man and hold out for game pass (It hasn't been announced but Watch Dogs 2 and other Ubisoft games are on there, and some coming in the future like Immortal Fenyx Rising is coming in a couple of days!)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I dont own SR but from  all the videos I've watched it looks like a SR game. Not sure what people expected, I'll grab it in the near future, especially if its works well on the Deck. 

It works quite well on deck!

Hardware wise. Unfortunately it’s epic store exclusive and also does not work from the epic launcher even if you do add it via desktop mode. To play it native I had to windows boot. And also because of epic store allowing devs to not opt in to cloud saves, there are no cloud saves. So if you like switching between your desktop and deck, you have to manually transfer the save.

So, I settled for streaming via moonlight to play it on deck. Which tbf works amazing, but I’m going to remember this for future epic store purchases, before the deck I didn’t care as much.

Also, you're probably right about the PS4 version of Saints Row having more issues when compared to the current gen consoles. I'm about to play more so we shall see if I run into any issues. :thinking:

I got stuck a few times between a rock and a bridge. Also when changing my clothes it wouldn’t let me exit the menu so I had to shut it down and restart. Nothing game breaking. The game is great. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's playing on PS4 so that version may have more bugs than the current gen versions. I haven't run into ANY bugs that required a restart yet. Just weird physics bugs here and there.

Perhaps the PS4 version is buggier than the current gen console and PC versions since they probably consider it to be less of a priority to fix as fewer people are most likely playing it compared to the other versions. The most reoccurring bug that I get is when enemies that I need to defeat to complete a mission are outside of the mission area, so I can’t leave the mission area to kill them. Enemies are also sometimes inside buildings that can’t be entered (which are most buildings in the game), so I can’t kill them. There’s also been times in the bright future missions where I’ve delivered the toxic waste truck to the delivery point, and it doesn’t acknowledge it. Sometimes pressing the triangle button to enter vehicles or to do takedowns doesn’t register, and it’s not a problem with my triangle button as it works fine with every other game. There’s been other things as well that I can’t think of right now, and while none of them have been that big of a deal they’re still somewhat annoying when they keep occurring.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Perhaps the PS4 version is buggier than the current gen console and PC versions since they probably consider it to be less of a priority to fix as fewer people are most likely playing it compared to the other versions. The most reoccurring bug that I get is when enemies that I need to defeat to complete a mission are outside of the mission area, so I can’t leave the mission area to kill them. Enemies are also sometimes inside buildings that can’t be entered (which are most buildings in the game), so I can’t kill them. There’s also been times in the bright future missions where I’ve delivered the toxic waste truck to the delivery point, and it doesn’t acknowledge it. Sometimes pressing the triangle button to enter vehicles or to do takedowns doesn’t register, and it’s not a problem with my triangle button as it works fine with every other game. There’s been other things as well that I can’t think of right now, and while none of them have been that big of a deal they’re still somewhat annoying when they keep occurring.

Damn that sounds like a lot.

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Ok, then the PS4 version is much more buggy than current gen. I played 3 more hours and didn't notice one issue at all. 

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's on sale for Xbox for $15 right now. Or you could be a gamblin' man and hold out for game pass (It hasn't been announced but Watch Dogs 2 and other Ubisoft games are on there, and some coming in the future like Immortal Fenyx Rising is coming in a couple of days!)

I might just wait until gamepass because I read the reviews and it's not the greatest (definitely not bad). Thanks for the heads up. 

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I might just wait until gamepass because I read the reviews and it's not the greatest (definitely not bad). Thanks for the heads up. 

Dude you're STILL going by reviews? Saints Row ALSO got bad reviews... Watchdogs Legion is a great game. Much better than the reviews just like Saints row. I don't know if you ever played the Watchdog games but they are pretty awesome. Not as crazy as Saints row or GTA  but solid open world games.

• Like 2

I finally got to dedicate some time to this game over the weekend and outside of the bugs, which is a legitimate concern, I do not know why Saint Row fans our upset about this game.

It has been a blast and it reminds me of SR2. It strikes a nice balance between over the top fun and a serious tone. I just don’t know how someone who says they are a SR fan and hates this game.

Now the bug side I definitely had to restart the game more times then I like and there definitely is some bugs with clothing, but I haven’t found anything earth shattering either.

I think many fans got butt hurt because Rim Job got changed to RJs and Freckle Bitches is FB and just rather whine about ‘wokeness’ then actually play the game. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude you're STILL going by reviews? Saints Row ALSO got bad reviews... Watchdogs Legion is a great game. Much better than the reviews just like Saints row. I don't know if you ever played the Watchdog games but they are pretty awesome. Not as crazy as Saints row or GTA  but solid open world games.

Yep, I beat both Watchdogs and loved them. Ok, I'm going to take your word for it and buy it tomorrow. You have great taste in games and never steer people in the wrong direction. I can easily juggle Saints Row and Legion so I'm all good. Plus I have off work until next Thursday which gives me plenty of time to play it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yep, I beat both Watchdogs and loved them. Ok, I'm going to take your word for it and buy it tomorrow. You have great taste in games and never steer people in the wrong direction. I can easily juggle Saints Row and Legion so I'm all good. Plus I have off work until next Thursday which gives me plenty of time to play it. 

I mean you should wait if you're playing other games... no rush to buy it and like @Keyser_Soze said, it will probably be on Gamepass soon. Out of the three Watchdog games it's probably the best one... if not the second best one. If you liked the first two games you'll like this one then. And the DLC for it ties into both previous games.  it's a very pretty game with GREAT lighting in areas on the XSX. i know you like pretty games so it's definitely one you should check out.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean you should wait if you're playing other games... no rush to buy it and like @Keyser_Soze said, it will probably be on Gamepass soon. Out of the three Watchdog games it's probably the best one... if not the second best one. If you liked the first two games you'll like this one then. And the DLC for it ties into both previous games.  it's a very pretty game with GREAT lighting in areas on the XSX. i know you like pretty games so it's definitely one you should check out.

All I do is rest in bed then game for hours. I'm buying it tomorrow because I want to game my brains out. I'm not worried about buying it. Thanks

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

I played this game all day today only taking breaks to eat, I haven’t been this addicted to a game since Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. In fact, I played so much of it today that my left thumb is a little sore. Due to my health I usually get fatigued playing games and need to take breaks every couple of hours or so, but my meal breaks have been enough today at least until now just because I needed a little rest from the game after playing it all day. I’m going to eat again soon, but then go right back to playing it until I go to bed.

I barely encountered any bugs today, I think that yesterday’s update cleaned up a lot of its bugs. There was only one time during a mission when some enemies spawned outside of the mission area, but I went outside the mission area and got them to come over to me before the timer ran out so I didn’t have to restart the mission.

There’s just so much different stuff to do in the game world, and most of it’s fun. When I complained about there seeming like a lack of things to do before, I hadn’t opened up a lot things to do at that point. But now that I have, there’s stuff to do everywhere. Just exploring the world and discovering landmarks and objects to take photos of is enjoyable. I’ve been enjoying clearing the map of most of the objectives.

I also forgot about the wanted missions, they’re some of the best outside of the story missions. They’re almost like story missions. And speaking of story missions I only did one today, but it was long, varied and fun. It was probably the best one that I’ve done so far.

This game is just a lot of fun to play, and is hard to put down. I’m almost certain that the critics and gamers giving it negative reviews just mainlined the story, and ignored most of its other content. But that’s not the way to play it, and anyone doing that won’t enjoy it nearly as much. I really have no doubt that it’s going to be my GOTY, I haven’t had this much fun with a game in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1