RIP in Peace(maker), HBO Max...in 2023

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

hbomax subscriptions are on sale right now. $105 for a year ad free, that comes out to $8.75 per month

Given how things have been going so far, I wouldn't be shocked if the only thing left by the end of the year is Discover+ and they tell everyone who bought an annual HBO Max subscription to go pound sand. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I really hope someone else is looking at Sesame Street and it's willing to jump in and pick then up once their deal with HBO expires. That said, we've still got another three years. I guess my kids are now going to be stuck on the delay HBO imposes for new episodes airing on PBS. There's no way I'm subscribing to Discovery+.

• 5 weeks later...

Gunnar Wiedenfels, Warner-Discovery’s newly minted CFO, laid out the idea during a recent conference: “We have a ton of content that has been sitting idly for just purely principle reasons,” Wiedenfels said, noting that the Amazon deal was a non-exclusivity window that might have even drawn some viewers back to HBO Max. It’s a surprisingly compelling philosophy, asking, basically, what HBO Max actually gets from keeping a bunch of exclusive content locked away for itself.

Mind you, the company’s transition into this mindset has been extremely ugly—buzz-sawing through already commissioned (or nearly completed) projects, and treating creators who were working for them in good faith like total garbage. There’s no reason, beyond a frenzy for budget cuts, that CEO David Zaslav couldn’t have rolled out this transition more humanely, honoring the work that had already been ordered before walking back levels of exclusive content production. But, nevertheless, there’s something at least novel in seeing a company approach its intellectual property not as a bludgeon it can use to smash its enemies into submission, which has been the norm in streaming since pretty much the moment Disney+ barged onto the scene.

That's certainly one way to look at it!

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's certainly one way to look at it!

It is... it's the wrong way, but it is a way. I know folks whose projects just got cut while they were working on them. One that I was working on didn't,  but we have no idea if we're getting a second season. Nobody wants to deal with them right now.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Latest rumor... NBC/ Universal to the rescue!

warner-bros-discovery.jpg
WWW.GIANTFREAKINROBOT.COM

Warner Bros. Discovery became a huge merger, but the media company might be merging with yet anotger gigantic company.

If it merges with Peacock I'll cream

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

If it merges with Peacock I'll cream

Honestly they'd be in better hands there. The Discovery folks have no idea what they are doing and the streaming services from the Networks, Peacock and Paramount plus have been unexpectedly strong with their content and their strategies. Me and my friend jokesdthat the end of the day when the dust settles, the three big netorks are gonna own everything anyway. ABC, NBC and CBS :p

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've been trying to keep my ear to the ground about anything involving season 3 of Warrior. It only began production a couple months ago. I hope it didn't get axed, but the hope is tepid. The show wasn't exactly cheap.

Right.  Hopefully since it was already in production it was spared. That's no guarantee with these folks though.

@Fizzzzlethis is what I came across.

warrior-hbo-max.jpg?w=620
TVLINE.COM

HBO Max's martial arts drama 'Warrior' has at last started production on Season 3 — find out who's joining the cast.

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...
GettyImages-826431192-2.jpg?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

As Warner Bros. Discovery continues its belt tightening (with more layoffs expected imminently at Warner Bros. TV Group), the company has shuttered Stage 13, a shingle focused on diverse shortform...

I'm sure this won't negatively impact under-represented peoples at all.

Also, this reminds me of how much I loved It's Bruno and how upset I am over it never getting a second season.

I really don't understand WarnerMedia's strategy of merging HBO Max and Discovery Plus.

Why not just offer them and Boomerang+ as a bundle, like Disney does with Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+? That way, Mom can watch her HGTV and TLC shows, Dad can watch The Sopranos and Game of Thrones, and the kids can watch cartoons.

How is WarnerMedia so bad at business that they can't think of something that obvious? How brain-dead are the people in charge?

On 10/12/2022 at 12:05 AM, Ghost_MH said:
GettyImages-826431192-2.jpg?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

As Warner Bros. Discovery continues its belt tightening (with more layoffs expected imminently at Warner Bros. TV Group), the company has shuttered Stage 13, a shingle focused on diverse shortform...

I'm sure this won't negatively impact under-represented peoples at all.

Also, this reminds me of how much I loved It's Bruno and how upset I am over it never getting a second season.

The decision has been reversed.  For now.

Warner-Bros-water-tower-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Warner Bros Discovery has performed a quick U-turn on its decision to close its Writers and Directors Workshops. On Tuesday, the company revealed that the two initiatives, which have been lauded fo…

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The decision has been reversed.  For now.

Warner-Bros-water-tower-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Warner Bros Discovery has performed a quick U-turn on its decision to close its Writers and Directors Workshops. On Tuesday, the company revealed that the two initiatives, which have been lauded fo…

• 1 month later...

Don't think I saw this posted yet. RIP in Peace HBO Max, welcome...Max...

107160950-1670244466811-gettyimages-1242
WWW.CNBC.COM

Warner Bros. Discovery plans to merge its HBO Max and Discovery+ streaming services in the spring and will rename the service.

I think I would have been happy with like a somewhat derivative WB+ or whatever. Max is a terrible name.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Don't think I saw this posted yet. RIP in Peace HBO Max, welcome...Max...

107160950-1670244466811-gettyimages-1242
WWW.CNBC.COM

Warner Bros. Discovery plans to merge its HBO Max and Discovery+ streaming services in the spring and will rename the service.

I think I would have been happy with like someone derivative like WB+ or whatever. Max is a terrible name.

Not to be confused with CineMax which I assume still exists? And yes, MAX is a terribly generic name.

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not to be confused with CineMax which I assume still exists? And yes, MAX is a terribly generic name.

In HBO's pre Discovery brilliance, they kept Cinemax going as its own thing.

Yeah, I just looked it up. Discovery finally canned Cinemax Go earlier this summer, years after HBO/WB shut down HBO Go. Why not just roll Cinemax Go into HBO Max when they did the same with HBO Go? Who knows.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Skinemax is till a thing?! With the internet existing???

I was actually curious if it was as well. Doesn't seem like it, though.

cinemax-icon-400.jpg?w=400
WWW.CINEMAX.COM

What's on Cinemax tonight? See which original series or Hollywood hit movie is on now and which ones are coming up.