• Announcements

• Mr.Vic20

Site Update (Take 2!)   02/08/2016

We will be updating the site on Friday the 12th of February from 8pm-12pm EST.
Comet

Official "Building a PC" Thread

1,002 posts in this topic

Lucian has had success with the Phenom II x4 960T (quad) overclocking and unlocked two additional cores. If you can do both of these things, it's worth going to AMD. There's really no other AMD CPU that's worth it unless you can find the 1090t for $150 or get a nice CPU/mobile bundle.

Otherwise, the i5 2500k is the way to go. A lot of people here on the boards and everywhere else have them and overclocking to 4.5ghz with a $40 cooler is incredibly simple. Low power consumption, low heat all around. Stock speed still offers very good performance. Just sitting in Windows typing this and my cores are averaging 28 degrees C. Anyways, it's awesome. AMD does not have a CPU available that offers the same performange/watt and clock. $220 for the CPU, $150 for a decent z68 ATX mobo. $50 for 8GB of DDR RAM. The 960T will run you just over $300 for mobo/cpu/RAM whereas the aforementioned Intel build is going to be closer to $450. I prefer AMD myself but there is no reason to not get the 2500k unless you want to wait for the Ivy Bridge version.

You already got some info about GPU's in that other thread so you have a few choices there - or you can just run the 5770's for a little while longer. That 2.3ghz Phenom quad is probably holding you back in every game you play right now so it's about time that thing was replaced.

I'm thinking of building a new machine.

I talked to an Intel contact I have and I could get

I7-3960X

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121534

480GB SSD Intel 520 Series

For $1060

The only actual reason i'm thinking of it is because of what seems to be a great deal.

You feel like spending $1100 on a mobo/cpu/SSD? No doubt the 3960x is a really fast cpu; but it offers almost no advantages in games over even a 2500k. performance/clock is literally identical - as is performance/watt. You get no pretty much no additional overclocking headroom either. However, the x79 chipset offers a few advantages; namely PCI-e lanes. If you're going with 2-3 videocards, x79 is what you get.

Alright Ready to upgrade. I'm the type that doesnt have to have the best thing on the market. I'm more of a Bang for your Buck Type of person.

My current config is an msi 790 fx mb with an Amd 9600 2.3 ghz quadcore cpu Two XFX 5770's one slot cards in xfire. I also have a win home server with a athlon 64 and 9500gt nividia card. I will swap the parts from my main rig into the whs box and upgrade it to whs11.

My question is whats the Current best Bang for buck combo. I'm partial to AMD but recent info I've been reading has been down on them. I also need a nice tuner card so I can get rid of my charter DVR. I called myself buying me a dual tuner card but they Failed to specify that it can only use one tuner at a time and therefore is worthless for what I bought if for.

The Pc needs to be strong enough to do some of everything from ripping movies to Creating music and some video editing Plus Gaming. I plan on using a discret Video Card so are the amd Trinity APU's worth investing in?

I have it hooked to a 25inch 1080p acer monitor and My 47inch LG 3dtv.

I also suggest the 2500k. Pick up a Z68 motherboard. If you plan on watching TV from the tuner and gaming at the same time (or encoding movies and etc) I think it would be worthwhile for you to step up to the 2600k.

I think you should hold onto your two 5770s and wait for more next gen cards to release and prices to drop. You would need to spend at least $300 to get a worthwhile upgrade, and the next gen is so close and offers very nice improvements you might as well just wait.

You feel like spending $1100 on a mobo/cpu/SSD? No doubt the 3960x is a really fast cpu; but it offers almost no advantages in games over even a 2500k. performance/clock is literally identical - as is performance/watt. You get no pretty much no additional overclocking headroom either. However, the x79 chipset offers a few advantages; namely PCI-e lanes. If you're going with 2-3 videocards, x79 is what you get.

For me the only thing holding me back is I was planning on building a computer later this year with Win8. But my Intel connect can get me $2300 worth of stuff for $1000 (It's a bundle deal). So torn.

Okay I found a 960t for $109 (hoping i can unlock to 6 cores) Asus M5A99X Evo open box for $110. will probably start off with 8 gigs or ram.

What type of turner card are you guys using. Looking for at least a dual tuner that can simultaneously record from both turners at the same time.

will a 9500GT be good enough to run My HTPC if I keep the 5770's for the main rig. I plan on switching the tuner from my main rig to my WHS11

Looks good. I only ask because it looks like there are a lot of HTPC cases that advertise as being full ATX cases, but you can't fit shit inside it. I'm gonna put my GTS 250 in there. Or I also still have an 8600 GT around here somewhere, though I'm not really sure if it would work anymore...

Here's a shitty iPhone of the inside:

31483bd8.jpg

I took out the optical drive rack and the other HHD rack. My mobo is microATX (9.6" x 9.6").

I'm looking to do a decent gaming rig for around $800 bucks and here's a list I came up with:

https://secure.neweg...spx?ID=26243128

Any thoughts on changes/improvements??

Edit: Also can these wishlists be viewed from here?

Edit #2: Looks like it can't. Here's everything I was looking at:

Wish List:

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price 1 17-148-041-03.jpgAPEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817148041

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$25.00 Instant

$25.00 Mail-in Rebate $79.99

$54.99 1 11-121-096-21.jpgHEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan

Item #: N82E16811121096

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$25.00 Instant $64.99

$39.99 1 20-231-428-02.jpgG.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Item #: N82E16820231428

Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy $46.99 1 13-157-271-02.jpgASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813157271

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$8.00 Instant $129.99

$121.99 1 14-130-660-04.jpgEVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Item #: N82E16814130660

Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy $15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card $189.99 1 19-115-073-02.jpgIntel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500

Item #: N82E16819115073

Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $209.99 1 22-148-697-03.jpgSeagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822148697

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $139.99 1 27-106-289-02.jpgLITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04

Item #: N82E16827106289

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy $17.99

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=26243128

If you have any questions, please use our LiveChat function or visit our Contact Us Page.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

There's the working link.

There is one thing I absolutely require you change, and that is the power supply. Apevia is junk; don't get it. Here are some budget options for you:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

$59.99

$39.99 with Rebate

Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

$49.99

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

$59.99

My next suggestion would be to try and bump up to the 2500K.

Looks like cost is a concern, so definitely look into combo deals. For example, if you can't bump up to the 2500K then I think you should step down the the i5 2400 and buy this combo with the DVD burner, saving you $31 in total.

Also you can bump down the video card just a little bit. I think the Radeon HD 6870 and this GTX 460 are better deals than that GTX 560. The 460 should be able to easily overclock and match the 560's speed since the only difference between them are the clockspeeds.

You don't need to go crazy on RAM as Sandy Bridge doesn't need fast/good RAM to perform well. So go ahead and grab the cheapest set you can find. Here's what I suggest: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220569

And let's see. That case looks alright but around the $50 price range I really like what Cooler Master, Rosewill, and NZXT has to offer.

There are some other swaps you can do. For example, you could bump down the motherboard and do the i5 2400/DVD combo I suggested to accommodate for the PSU upgrade and then bump up to a GTX 560 Ti. Or vice versa you can bump up to the 2500K and bump down to the GTX 460/HD 6870. A decision like this depends on how you upgrade. If you think you'll be upgrading the video card somewhat soon, in a year or two, then I would suggest you get the 2500K, as the 2500K will last longer (when overclocked) than the non-K chips (since the non-K chips have an artificially low limit as to how far they can be overclocked).

Thanks for the help. I made some changes to the list:

http://secure.newegg...Number=26243128

I clicked to make the list public, but I'm not sure if that worked.

Edit: Also is this everything I'd need to order? I have a hookup I'll get Windows 7 from and I'll track down all the other peripheral stuff like monitor, kb/m, etc.

Thanks for the help. I made some changes to the list:

http://secure.newegg...Number=26243128

I clicked to make the list public, but I'm not sure if that worked.

Edit: Also is this everything I'd need to order? I have a hookup I'll get Windows 7 from and I'll track down all the other peripheral stuff like monitor, kb/m, etc.

Please put down $20 more an get the 2500k. That exact mobo has overclocking presets in the BIOS. I have that exact mobo. You go into BIOS, select the 4.4ghz option, and you're done forever. For me, it's rock-solid. Not a single crash. And temps are amazing. I am using an aftermarket cooler though. Please just do yourself a favour and go with the 2500k. You won't regret it. Even if you decide to OC later and stick with the stock (shitty) cooler for now and buy something later like the Cooler Master 212:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

For a measly $35.

Good. If money is an issue, just get an aftermarket CPU cooler later. I wouldn't bother overclocking until you do. But know that you'll go from 3.3ghz to 4.4ghz with a simple selection in the BIOS.

Something just hit me with this set-up. What's the best way to access our Wi-fi? It's been forever since I've had a desk top at home so what's the best solution there?

Also what is the difference between these HDD's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL022112&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL022112-_-EMC-022112-Latest-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22148840-L0A

One is 32MB and one is 64MB, but what's the difference? The 64MB is on sale

You'll need a wireless adapter to connect to a wireless router. There's USB, PCI, and PCI-E variations. But if you intend to do any online gaming I highly suggest you run a cable.

The hard drive on sale looks faster.

I've never had a USB wireless adapter that wasn't a piece of shit. My old one would overheat and need to be disconnected from time to time. My current adapter needs to be disconnected and re-connected every time I boot up my system or wake it up from sleep.

Thanks everyone for the help! The order has been placed and I went with the 2500k, the 64MB 1TB HDD that was on sale, and added a PCI wireless adapter. Final total after some promotion codes was at $808 shipped. I think this will be a great deal! Again thanks everyone for the help.

So... I know someone who works at Intel and (so it says in an e-mail she sent me), she can get me an i7 2600k and an Intel DZ6BDB mobo for $267. You think it's worth it? The motherboard isn't really anything special.

So... I know someone who works at Intel and (so it says in an e-mail she sent me), she can get me an i7 2600k and an Intel DZ6BDB mobo for $267. You think it's worth it? The motherboard isn't really anything special.

The mobo is nothing special but it's probably pretty solid. I have a friend who worked at Best Buy years ago and he always got the Intel deals with the Intel mobos. Even for overclocking he never had any problems.

If you're upgrading, I'd do it. $267 for just a 2600k is a really good deal.

How's this SSD? I'm looking for a top quality SSD in the 120 Gb range.

I've been having trouble with my Vertex 2 120gb and will probably send it in to OCZ. I figure I might as well order a SATA III drive while I'm waiting since I was going to get one anyways.

For the time being, I'm using an HDD :sick:

I've heard really good things about the Crucial M4 drives. I'm not sure if they are better than that Samsung but I've heard nothing about Samsung SSDs. The M4 drives have a lot more reviews and are 5/5 eggs.

$150:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Seems pretty damn hot to me unless I am missing something. If I could buy this, I might consider it. The same drive is $190 in Canada.

I've heard really good things about the Crucial M4 drives. I'm not sure if they are better than that Samsung but I've heard nothing about Samsung SSDs. The M4 drives have a lot more reviews and are 5/5 eggs.

$150:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820148442

Seems pretty damn hot to me unless I am missing something. If I could buy this, I might consider it. The same drive is $190 in Canada.

Shit, it already went up $25. I'll probably just go with the Samsung.

I'm finally (almost) ready to drop some cash on solid rig. I've budgeted myself for about $800 on the PC itself, but I would be willing to go up to around $900 if it would mean seeing a noticeable performance increase. The main use will be gaming, and basically my goal is that I can buy any game on the market now and in the near future without having to worry about it running fine. That's a reasonable expectation for my budget, right? Any help with putting a shopping list together would be super.

I'm finally (almost) ready to drop some cash on solid rig. I've budgeted myself for about $800 on the PC itself, but I would be willing to go up to around $900 if it would mean seeing a noticeable performance increase. The main use will be gaming, and basically my goal is that I can buy any game on the market now and in the near future without having to worry about it running fine. That's a reasonable expectation for my budget, right? Any help with putting a shopping list together would be super.

Windows part of budget?

Also does no one read the OP? START YOUR OWN THREAD!