~*Xbox In Crisis: The Official Thread*~ - update: "New Platforms, New Players: Four Fan-Favorite Xbox Games Coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony Platforms"

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It’s the opposite of 2020 when they bought Bethesda, and we had people predicting constant first party games and 50 million people on game pass for the ultimate winning generation.

bro, I could pay off the student debt of everyone in America for the number of people who are banned from Threads, who opposed the Activision acquisition. There’s a lot of support there for buying everything just so you could have more games on game pass. 

And I won’t lie, there’s some major schadenfreude going on right now.

This seems to have context to it that I don’t get :P

2 hours ago, stepee said:

If Sony starts going day1 on pc then you can go Nintendo whatever and a pc - this could actually happen by next gen, Nintendo releasing off their own platform is much much much less likely.

You can do that today, if you're cool waiting a bit, and don't mind a slight premium on the ports relative to console.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Valve has to retry the whole console thing. There's already a burgeoning market of these mini $3-400 micro PCs with specs similar to the Deck and other handheld PCs.

Sure, I'd welcome it.  Sony would feel hoodwinked on some level.

Some sort of new steam console part 2 would be great. I’ve been thinking about a gaming PC for awhile and it’s just cost that stops me. Well that and I don’t want to deal with any hassles. Time to start preparing for it. I’ve been thinking PC and Switch 2 is the best plan going forward for a bit. I’ll await official confirmation but it’s just a matter of when and not if for at this point. Maybe I can blow my tax return on a gaming PC.

19 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Some sort of new steam console part 2 would be great. I’ve been thinking about a gaming PC for awhile and it’s just cost that stops me. Well that and I don’t want to deal with any hassles. Time to start preparing for it. I’ve been thinking PC and Switch 2 is the best plan going forward for a bit. I’ll await official confirmation but it’s just a matter of when and not if for at this point. Maybe I can blow my tax return on a gaming PC.

You should probably be thinking less about the cost of a modern PC build compared to the current consoles, and more how it would stack up to the potential PS5 Pro.

• Halal 1

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

bro, I could pay off the student debt of everyone in America for the number of people who are banned from Threads, who opposed the Activision acquisition. There’s a lot of support there for buying everything just so you could have more games on game pass. 

Giving away games, mass layoffs, fewer games. Yay!

As an owner of all the consoles... and PC... and Steam Deck, it doesn't really bother me if MS releases their big exclusives on other platforms.

But... the idea of MS trending toward third party publishing does worry me a bit. I don't want to live in a time when Sony has no hardware competition. Nintendo just doesn't count. Nintendo hasn't been a go-to console since the SNES. And this comes from someone who bought a Gamecube before he bought a PS2 and Xbox.

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty much my plan... Guess I'll be a PC gamer for the rest of my life.

I currently have no plans to buy a next Xbox console if and when it comes out. I got a gaming PC because I am finally in a place in life I could afford a good one, and nearly everything I want to play is cross play at least through Game Pass w/ Xbox to still play with my friends. 

14 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Maybe MS will leave the console business and stick to software 

It’s been my theory that this has been the end game for a while. Eventually MS has a cloud based box/stick and you subscribe to Gamepass. And Gamepass is on PC, PS, and Nintendo. Where Xbox games are playable anywhere and “Xbox” really just means Gamepass. If I wasn’t completely sure of this after the Zenimax purchase I definitely am w/ the ABK purchase. 

Some games being timed exclusive on Gamepass makes sense and so does eventually releasing stuff to more platforms. 

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I currently have no plans to buy a next Xbox console if and when it comes out. I got a gaming PC because I am finally in a place in life I could afford a good one, and nearly everything I want to play is cross play at least through Game Pass w/ Xbox to still play with my friends. 

It’s been my theory that this has been the end game for a while. Eventually MS has a cloud based box/stick and you subscribe to Gamepass. And Gamepass is on PC, PS, and Nintendo. Where Xbox games are playable anywhere and “Xbox” really just means Gamepass. If I wasn’t completely sure of this after the Zenimax purchase I definitely am w/ the ABK purchase. 

Some games being timed exclusive on Gamepass makes sense and so does eventually releasing stuff to more platforms. 

It will be interesting if they develop a multi-tier pricing plan, or something. e.g.:

• Xbox Local - $19.99/mo - Use local hardware like Playstation or PC to power your Xbox gamepass games
  • Xbox Cloud - $29.99/mo - Use cloud hardware and a local USB dongle to stream Xbox gamepass games locally

lol reserera clowns, ppl asking if they should sell their Xbox consoles as if it's gonna happen this gen 

"Master chief coming to PlayStation would be Earth shattering" bitch no one cares that much, Halo is a dumb franchise and it's sales reflect that it was just a novelty for console owners who never played an FPS because they didn't have PCs. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

IMO, this either is not the end game, or they're making some odd choices to try to get there.

Games Pass, as a competing service, will not end up on Playstation or Nintendo hardware.  They have no leverage to do so, outside of things they promised not to do (*cough* withhold CoD *cough*).  If any form of Games Pass ends up on those consoles, and probably just Sony's, it'd be more akin to Ubisoft+ than Games Pass as we know it.

Then there's the whole debacle of cloud gaming decidedly not taking off (yet).  Its mass market appeal is still just a theory at this point.  They can't bank on it happening.

I think Microsoft still expects to keep selling console hardware for the foreseeable future.  Much of the history of Xbox deals in services and specs as the linchpins of their strategy.  I believe they think they'll keep a spot in the console market with competitive hardware, Games Pass, and timed exclusives from all the studios they bought.  Similar to how they think they have a place on consoles with day and date on PC.

If I’m wrong, it’d probably be at the request of people above Phil.

46 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

lol reserera clowns, ppl asking if they should sell their Xbox consoles as if it's gonna happen this gen 

"Master chief coming to PlayStation would be Earth shattering" bitch no one cares that much, Halo is a dumb franchise and it's sales reflect that it was just a novelty for console owners who never played an FPS because they didn't have PCs. 

Halo 3 was the largest ever entertainment launch at the time, much less video game.  But for sure, novelty.

• True 1

43 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Halo 3 was the largest ever entertainment launch at the time, much less video game.  But for sure, novelty.

During 360 era? Yeah. Xb1 barely scratched the surface. The stuff Halo was doing was being done on PC for a while, it was just the first time masses of n00bs got access 

• True 1

29 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

During 360 era? Yeah. Xb1 barely scratched the surface. The stuff Halo was doing was being done on PC for a while, it was just the first time masses of n00bs got access 

Dude you gotta come off this take haha

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It will be interesting if they develop a multi-tier pricing plan, or something. e.g.:

• Xbox Local - $19.99/mo - Use local hardware like Playstation or PC to power your Xbox gamepass games
  • Xbox Cloud - $29.99/mo - Use cloud hardware and a local USB dongle to stream Xbox gamepass games locally

Xbox Local is already Games Pass on PC.

They already use this model in effect.  You pay for xCloud with your Xbox console online multiplayer subscription.  

The main difference is that console gamers must be upsold on that, because.

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

it's time has come! :sun:

The Apple Pippin: The Xbox Before The Xbox | by Cameron Eittreim | Medium

I get things weren’t quite defined yet but how the hell did that trackball in the middle design get all the way to prototype stage. That would be so awful to play, it’s like it was designed with absolutely zero thought into how it would actually feel to use.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I get things weren’t quite defined yet but how the hell did that trackball in the middle design get all the way to prototype stage. That would be so awful to play, it’s like it was designed with absolutely zero thought into how it would actually feel to use.

I think like most hybrid things (Mac/Apple Game Console) this unit was destined to two things poorly rather than one thing well. 

• True 1

Sony kills Dreamcast, Xbox partners with SEGA, Sony kills Xbox.

If the modern industry wasn't already a nightmare of subscriptions, services, and skinner box game design, this would hit harder.  I really like having Xbox hardware, and their backwards-compatibility push has been my favorite part of this generation of consoles.  But a future where you only have Sony GAAS and Xbox cloud subscriptions is bleak.  I'm so thankful for Nintendo.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

My Guess:

As part of the business case for the acquisition of Bethesda, they included a number of aggressive assumptions on GamePass growth  to justify the acquisition.  Those haven't come to pass.  They probably have someone in Finance at MS corporate freaking out, that they are completely missing their revenue targets -- particularly give the cost of the ABK purchase.

So...  Strategy is changing.  Will it be a good strategy?  Probably not, this is MS who has completely botched everything over the last 2 gens.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Reason; old tech nerds 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My Guess:

As part of the business case for the acquisition of Bethesda, they included a number of aggressive assumptions on GamePass growth  to justify the acquisition.  Those haven't come to pass.  They probably have someone in Finance at MS corporate freaking out, that they are completely missing their revenue targets -- particularly give the cost of the ABK purchase.

So...  Strategy is changing.  Will it be a good strategy?  Probably not, this is MS who has completely botched everything over the last 2 gens.

MS Games Leadership should fire itself 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

that has more to do with the quality of games made by 343 on the Xb1 than it does the Halo franchise. Halo Reach on PC on Steam had over 100k concurrent players back in 2019 when it released. Good Halo is popular regardless of platform. It just hasn’t been good since Bungie left. 

• True 1

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

that has more to do with the quality of games made by 343 on the Xb1 than it does the Halo franchise. Halo Reach on PC on Steam had over 100k concurrent players back in 2019 when it released. Good Halo is popular regardless of platform. It just hasn’t been good since Bungie left. 

I think the point would still stand though, Halo today doesn’t mean what it did when Halo 3 released, so if it came to playstation now it wouldn’t be nearly as big of a deal compared to if it happened back then.

• True 1