Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (16 Apr 2024) - Ukraine "ran out of missiles" around Kyiv, which allowed Russia to destroy major power plant

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Right, but why can't the US just gift stuff to Ukraine? I assume a limitation of the act that allows this?

Apparently he can. I'm guessing he's doing this so Ukraine doesn't have to pay to transport the weapons? Or maybe just because it's Biden and he wants to ratchet up the pressure on the Republicans gradually. 

Federal law allows an American president to declare military systems surplus to need, assign them a value—potentially zero dollars—and give them away on the condition that the recipient transport them.

And while Biden could send excess defense articles directly to Ukraine, he initially is using EDA as leverage in ring trades.

16 hours ago, chakoo said:

Post photos or videos from the performance if possible. 

Last night was amazing. Was really great to meet and speak with the ballet dancers (about half our group speaks Ukrainian, and about half their group spoke English). A few photos from last night, as well as our Hopak. Funny story about our performance: the Ukrainian National Ballet asked a group in each city they performed in to join them onstage for their (Ballet's) Hopak. However, we submitted ours to them and asked them to join ours. They agreed, but do to time constraints with the tour they weren't able to actually learn it well enough in time, so they asked us to just perform it ourselves, and they performed their own after. Huge honour in that sense.

Zabutnyy Dance Company - Hopak:

Me backstage as we warm up and prepare:

lXF0JTE.jpeg

One of my boots:

kmWc4pH.jpeg

Post-show with us and the Ballet:

d6BMNlj.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hype 1

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Ukraine allegedly sunk another Russian Navy ship - a missile Corvette was taken out by what appears to be drone jet skis.

https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1753011305466740859?s=20

Video of the hit from multiple vantage points—it looks like at least 2-3 drones hit it. Another ship promoted to submarine. Image of the ship sinking:

d8D4ert.png

• Ukraine 3

There has been a toooooonne of agitprop by Russia for over a year saying that Zelenskyy was going to do this (in order to stoke internal divisions by claiming Zaluzhny was planning to run against Zelenskyy for President) so there is still a chance that this is false and that western media are falling for it. But could be true:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

White House officials did not endorse or object to the planned ouster of Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, saying it’s President Volodymyr Zelensky’s choice to make.

My understanding is there is tension between the two re: a full draft to basically double or triple the Ukrainian military.

Canada is going to donate up to 83,000 CRV7 air-to-surface rockets to Ukraine. They were retired in 2000 and set to be scrapped, but at least 8,000 are still in full working order, and the rest can be cobbled together for working parts.

Not super high tech, but good for helicopters.

• Ukraine 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:23 PM, Chris- said:

@Commissar SFLUFAN are you no longer posting IAW updates? No big deal if you aren’t, but I found them quite informative, so I figured I’d ask?

Apologies for the delayed response to this!

It was just a matter that the current battlefield stalemate situation coupled with the very real possibility that no further US military aid would be forthcoming along with the general sense that there  really is no foreseeable path to a Ukrainian victory was contributing to my overall sense of general despondency about the future so I decided that it was probably best for me to quietly cease those daily postings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Hugs 3

10 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Apologies for the delayed response to this!

It was just a matter that the current battlefield stalemate situation coupled with the very real possibility that no further US military aid would be forthcoming along with the general sense that there  really is no foreseeable path to a Ukrainian victory was contributing to my overall sense of general despondency about the future so I decided that it was probably best for me to quietly cease those daily postings.

Well thank you for doing it as long as you did!

• Halal 1

It appears to be part of Budanov's (intelligence) promised campaign to hunt down Wagner forces worldwide after what they did in Ukraine:

WWW.FT.COM

General who has survived 10 assassination attempts keeps Russia guessing about his directorate’s reach and abilities

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Ukrainians are learning a harsh lesson that the Kurds and many others have learned throughout history:  the United States of America simply cannot be trusted.

The French learned it first

Native Americans

Mexico

Saddam Hussein learned it

Taliban learned it

Everyone's learned it

In other news...

TASS.RU

Предельный возраст в период мобилизации составит для всех высших офицеров до 70 лет, для остальных контрактников - 65 лет

Russia is proposing to raise the maximum age of mobilized soldiers to 65. For reference, the current life expectancy for men in Russia is 64.

• Shocked 1

It sounds like from Ukrainian sources that people there see this move as:

• Zelenskyy believes that Ukraine needs to keep some sort of forward momentum in terms of retaking some ground, otherwise the west will completely abandon Ukraine
  • Zaluzhny would not sign off on wasting gear/men on this sort of stuff - this is why Ukraine often lost ground to Russia but managed to exact 10:1 or even 20:1 casualties
  • Syrsky is willing to throw men and gear at any mark on the map in order to take it or hold it (he's the one that held on to Bakhmut for so long)

So it really comes down to: which form of strategy and tactics can defeat Russia: the NATO model (Zaluzhny), or the Soviet model (Syrsky)? Right now the Soviet model of ground warfare is proving superior as Russia continue to take small chunks of land, even at the cost of men and gear. If Ukraine emulates it, will it help?

I have no doubt that the NATO model is superior if you have air support, but the west hesitated for far too long on getting Ukraine the gear they needed. If Ukraine had been given HIMARS, F-16s, ATACMS, NASAMS, Patriot, Bradleys, tanks, and more in 2022, then I think Russia would possibly have lost Crimea by now. But the west is weak and lacks resolve. Zelenskyy possibly believes that if he shifts Ukraine back to the Soviet mindset of sacrifice for the greater good (which likely means a big conscription) then he can hold of Russia. I believe he can, but the one thing the Soviet model needs (even more than men) is artillery. 

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It sounds like from Ukrainian sources that people there see this move as:

• Zelenskyy believes that Ukraine needs to keep some sort of forward momentum in terms of retaking some ground, otherwise the west will completely abandon Ukraine
  • Zaluzhny would not sign off on wasting gear/men on this sort of stuff - this is why Ukraine often lost ground to Russia but managed to exact 10:1 or even 20:1 casualties
  • Syrsky is willing to throw men and gear at any mark on the map in order to take it or hold it (he's the one that held on to Bakhmut for so long)

So it really comes down to: which form of strategy and tactics can defeat Russia: the NATO model (Zaluzhny), or the Soviet model (Syrsky)? Right now the Soviet model of ground warfare is proving superior as Russia continue to take small chunks of land, even at the cost of men and gear. If Ukraine emulates it, will it help?

I have no doubt that the NATO model is superior if you have air support, but the west hesitated for far too long on getting Ukraine the gear they needed. If Ukraine had been given HIMARS, F-16s, ATACMS, NASAMS, Patriot, Bradleys, tanks, and more in 2022, then I think Russia would possibly have lost Crimea by now. But the west is weak and lacks resolve. Zelenskyy possibly believes that if he shifts Ukraine back to the Soviet mindset of sacrifice for the greater good (which likely means a big conscription) then he can hold of Russia. I believe he can, but the one thing the Soviet model needs (even more than men) is artillery. 

Does Ukraine possess the ability to produce NATO artillery shells?