Nikki Haley planning Feb. 15 launch for 2024 White House bid

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

I think approval ratings have largely become irrelevant, a dying grasp from the old political guard. 

They could very well be irrelevant, but at this point it's a data point to give a general sense of society's overall mood.

We're going to have quite a bit of actual electoral evidence from the world over in the next several months to year to determine whether it remains a generally reliable indicator of election outcomes.

I think this election is extremely high variance because of how utterly without precedent it is. Biden is not well liked and is old as hell, but Trump is basically equally as disliked and very nearly as old as hell, and oh by the way is about to be sentenced in a civil suit that did not seem to go well for him and awaiting multiple felony criminal trials. I think enthusiasm is going to be way lower than 2020 and polls could be very noisy.

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I think approval ratings have largely become irrelevant, a dying grasp from the old political guard. 

It could be, or that could be copium. But the warnings issued against Trump in 2020 that no President with approval ratings that low has ever won re-election still haunt me.

9 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I think this election is extremely high variance because of how utterly without precedent it is. Biden is not well liked and is old as hell, but Trump is basically equally as disliked and very nearly as old as hell, and oh by the way is about to be sentenced in a civil suit that did not seem to go well for him and awaiting multiple felony criminal trials. I think enthusiasm is going to be way lower than 2020 and polls could be very noisy.

I don't disagree that polling at this stage is all over the place when it comes to the cross-tabs or that there's a helluva lot of noise in the data.

But a trend is a trend -- no matter how imperfect or flawed it may very well be -- and that trend isn't in Biden's direction thus far.

22 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Even if you're conservative you shouldn't vote for anybody who ever worked for Trump or had anything positive to say about him.

Also any GOP president is going to rubber stamp a GOP congress...so that means you are supporting all of their crazy shit, including the willingness to move towards fascism, etc.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My best advice at this early stage is to at least start preparing psychologically and emotionally for Trump 2.0 to soften the blow if/when it does happen just a little bit.  Note: you'd be in good company as diplomats from several European and other countries have been meeting with Trump campaign staff in expectation of the event.

I should start working out now.  Maybe when next year when the roundups begin, I can pass as an Übermensch and be left alone.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I don't think that any of the candidates will be VP.

It's probably going to be a GOP governor.

My money is on Noem suddenly doing a Fox News spot with bleach blond hair. 

Yeah, I mean, what does it even mean? I’m not the worlds biggest Biden fan, and I don’t really approve of a lot of things about him, but I would still crawl over a mile of broken glass to vote for him over Trump.

I think we’re overthinking this election.

The general election polling hinges on Biden’s popularity. I haven’t seen anything showing Trump has gained ground since 16/20. If Biden is more popular, he’s in better shape. If it’s sub 40 in November, it might be a long night.

For me it all comes down to what their sons are packing. I know Hunter has a rod I can trust. Congress needs to do its fucking job and declassify Don Jr and Eric’s equipment so we can make a proper voting decision.  

• Haha 3
  • Hype 1

WWW.CNBC.COM

Nikki Haley is under pressure from some of her wealthiest donors to beat Donald Trump in the New Hampshire primary, or risk losing their support.

"She needs to win or a very, very close second place," said a lobbyist who is raising money for Haley.

To keep many of her more affluent donors engaged, Haley must get within three percentage points of Trump in New Hampshire, said a Republican fundraising advisor whose clients include Haley donors. If she does not, these donors could turn away from Haley and try to find other ways to stop Trump, including possibly by financing a third-party effort like No Labels, said the advisor.

12 hours ago, Reputator said:

Biden isn't going to have an easy time either way with the way his approval numbers keep dropping. He's lower at this point than any President in the last 70+ years.

PROJECTS.FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Latest polls on President Joe Biden’s approval ratings

Is everyone still mad about egg prices, or is it Palestine now?

On 1/15/2024 at 11:05 PM, Massdriver said:

Perhaps it would be easier for Biden to beat Trump if you believe the polls. But Trump winning the GOP primary is bad for the nation as he then controls one of the major parties in American politics and the narrative continues. A primary upset would change the dynamics within the party, hopefully having more positive long-term effects. 

Bottom line is Trump winning the primary is bad for the nation and sets us up for round 2. It’s worth thinking carefully about your position if you’re celebrating a victory with Trump because you speculate it may be easier for Biden to win. That’s a dangerous game to play. 

This.  More important than trying to somehow ensure no Republican ever gets elected again is ensuring that one of the two major political parties in the country—one that even when in the minority will have outsized say in shaping policy due to rampant gerrymandering and the electoral college’s rural tilt—abandons the cult of Trump.

If the short-run cost is a slightly more competitive rival for Biden, it’s well worth it.  Because even if (like me) you’re on the left hoping for some sort of ‘permanent political majority’, you still need some semblance of political sanity for it to accomplish anything.  And the longer the Trump cult persists, the more of that we lose.

But, as we’re seeing, the Republican base is pretty much still in ‘Cultural Revolution’ mode, and Trump is still very much their Mao.  (One big reason why his prosecutions have mostly helped him) And like I posted not too long ago, it’s not even clear anymore that Trump consistently losing elections will break the spell, due to the zombie persistence of ‘The Big Lie’.  I hope I’m wrong.

43 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Not a fan of Biden.  Sorry.  I'll vote for him (again) if he faces Trump, but he's not my type of candidate.  I guess Haley isn't either.

Well Biden fandom wasn’t the point. It was that your preferred candidate worked for the Cheeto, praised the Cheeto, won’t denounce the Cheeto, and supposedly can’t be bothered to pay attention to things about the Cheeto that will greatly influence the effectiveness of her campaign. Probably the main thing. These should all be deal breakers for her as they would be for Trump. 

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

• Halal 1

WWW.POLITICO.COM

The group wants the the former U.N. Ambassador to succeed, whether in the primary or outside of it.

“Nikki has no interest in No Labels, she’s happy with the Republican label,” Haley spokesperson Olivia Perez-Cubas said in a text message.

But it’s clear that No Labels views Haley positively, whether on their ticket or as the GOP standard-bearer. Two people familiar with the group’s thinking, who were granted anonymity to speak candidly, said that No Labels would prefer that Haley win the GOP nomination since she’s a mainstream Republican. If Haley won the nomination, the group would likely not run a No Labels ticket.