Star Wars: Ahsoka (Disney+) OUT NOW! - Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

thrawn_treason_interview_tall.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

One of Star Wars’ greatest villains is coming to live action

Yup saw that when I woke up. Probably good to go with him since he used such a distinctive voice that anyone else would sound like they're doing a pale imitation. 

You know, I really wish the sequel trilogy didn't exist. I find the world they're building from the extended mando verse much more interesting, but the sequel trilogy makes for this awkward future that they somehow have to eventually fit this new stuff into and I can't see it doing anything but constraining it.

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

30 minutes ago, legend said:

You know, I really wish the sequel trilogy didn't exist. I find the world they're building from the extended mando verse much more interesting, but the sequel trilogy makes for this awkward future that they somehow have to eventually fit this new stuff into and I can't see it doing anything but constraining it.

J.J. Abrams fucked things completely by making TFA a poorer remake of ANH. By ruining the wins the heroes earned in ROTJ by resetting things 30 years later, everything in between is forced to build to a new Empire fighting new Rebels, which just repeats the OT. TLJ tried to course correct by basically being two movies in one so Episode 9 could do something new but Abrams went fuck that, bring Emperor back, ROTJ part 2 instead. Now we have to get past Episode 9 to do anything interesting again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

J.J. Abrams fucked things completely by making TFA a poorer remake of ANH. By ruining the wins the heroes earned in ROTJ by resetting things 30 years later, everything in between is forced to build to a new Empire fighting new Rebels, which just repeats the OT. TLJ tried to course correct by basically being two movies in one so Episode 9 could do something new but Abrams went fuck that, bring Emperor back, ROTJ part 2 instead. Now we have to get past Episode 9 to do anything interesting again.

To make it worse, there's no real build to the new order existing that could be explored in the in between. The new order is just kind of there all of a sudden and apparently all powerful. How the hell are you supposed to build to this future? You can't have an interesting iterative fall and instead anything accomplished by the characters in this era just has to suddenly not matter because the NO just takes over immediately somehow.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, legend said:

To make it worse, there's no real build to the new order existing that could be explored in the in between. The new order is just kind of there all of a sudden and apparently all powerful. How the hell are you supposed to build to this future? You can't have an interesting iterative fall and instead anything accomplished by the characters in this era just has to suddenly not matter because the NO just takes over immediately somehow.

I completely agree - apparently in TFA the capital moves around the galaxy so what the First Order nukes into oblivion in TFA is the entire government of the Republic, who didn't see it coming at all, which is stupid as shit. No matter how ineffective the new Republic is (and it must be given Leia is fighting it from within), to miss this entire new First Order is not something you can really build to given how TFA plays out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, legend said:

You don’t need to build to the history of anything in Star Wars, the cheesy gordita crunch has been on the menu at Taco Bell longer than the Empire existed. 

That said I am always in favor of the movies being better or, dare I say, good. 

• Haha 2

Parts of the trailer felt off to me. The opening location looked like had the geometry and lighting of a PS2 era game. There are times the reliance on The Volume ironically makes an environment look smaller.  

…and I can’t help but feel I’d rather this just be animated. Movement and weight always feels a little off. Kind of a reverse uncanny valley. 

But still, I’m all in. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

You don’t need to build to the history of anything in Star Wars, the cheesy gordita crunch has been on the menu at Taco Bell longer than the Empire existed. 

That said I am always in favor of the movies being better or, dare I say, good. 

I'm on board with retconning details as they go and I don't expect Star Wars to have anywhere near perfect consistency. But the ST feels like it puts them in a position that's more egregious than usual. Mostly, I blame JJ.

23 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I feel bad for Tiya Sircar.

her and the other voice actors that don’t get to play their character should get some small role on the show, like how the last of us used a few of the people from the game in the show 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars: Ahsoka (Disney+, 23 August 2023) - "Begin" trailer

Just adding to the hype.

Spoiler

Both of the shots below were in the last episode of Rebels but recreated in live action. The scene itself takes place after the Battle of Endor. Judging from the 2nd teaser and 2nd pic below, Sabine still has Ezra's saber.

24 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I feel like I really really need to finish Rebels before this comes out 

Judging from the teasers, I'd rate between "enhanced experience" to "essential viewing" but if you're a SW fan, it's the latter because, basically, what Kal said above.

After the 1st teaser, it was must-re-watch for me.

• 5 weeks later...

It's in the trailer, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway just in case

Alright sooo, Sabine has force abilities? Kanan was training her briefly with the dark saber but she never showed any supernatural abilities. But I guess at one point Ashoka started training her too. Technically I guess she might not HAVE to have force abilities, but it's a bit confusing.