Guest Has Difficulty Defining the Term "Woke" to Briahna Joy Gray

Yeah I’m mad because then I had to listen to her babble on making up situations and basically arguing the point that what she’s against is forced conformity which in her eyes is not allowing people to force others to conform. 

In other words she is just basic

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The point isn't really getting the actual definition (which was reached in a roundabout way) but more about how about a journalist actually asking a good question for a change.

I don't think there's a single person who calls things "woke" that can actually define it. I'm glad someone got asked "and what is 'woke'" for a change.

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't think there's a single person who calls things "woke" that can actually define it. I'm glad someone got asked "and what is 'woke'" for a change.

And somehow even harder for someone who wrote a whole book about it to define it. Very curious. 🤔

Here is a very simplistic definition:

Woke is broadly refers to a group that is different than how it was originally used by black activists.

In general, it refers to the belief that our identity and membership of different marginalized groups (or oppressor groups) is more important than who people are as individuals.  This is combines with the belief equity in outcomes is more important than equality of opportunity and that present day discrimination in favour of those historically marginalized groups is the best (or only) way to make up for historical oppression to achieve equity in outcomes.

40 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They can easily define exactly what it means to them, they just don't want to because they know how bad it sounds when you actually say it out loud.

"Woke" is a catchall term for anyone who does anything to promote or legitimize anything that isn't 100% in line with the "traditional" norms of white/straight/christian American culture. They see all of it as performative eye-rolling nonsense.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

14 minutes ago, ort said:

"Woke" is a catchall term for anyone who does anything to promote or legitimize anything that isn't 100% in line with the "traditional" norms of white/straight/christian American culture. They see all of it as performative eye-rolling nonsense.

This is what it more or less means to me as well when people use a silly term like: "woke". Recently my sister-in-law saw a video of a woman pointing out how she (and many other women) feel belittled when called things like: "sweetie" or "sweetheart" or whatever in passing by men when ordering a coffee or whatever it is and my sister-in-law called that "too woke". She was basically implying that that is too small or trivial to bother addressing and pointing out, while not understanding it is a passive aggressive term used by men towards women. She thinks caring too much about things she deems silly or "too much" as woke. 

To me it's just a derogatory word for change or progress. M&M's change things - "that's too woke". Racist books are shelved - "that's too woke". Lego tries marketing that is more inclusive and diverse - "that's too woke". Looney Tunes, Dr. Seuss, Mr. Potato Head, etc. Any stupid culture war issue where companies are simply changing with the times to make more money in private industries is "too woke" as opposed to changing with the times.

I’d always assumed the use of “woke” was having one’s eyes opened to the injustices, lack of equality and equity. 

weirdly enough I think meatball Ron DeSantis has one of the better definitions of woke. “the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.” 

which is quite telling that he’s against it. 

• True 4

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Here is a very simplistic definition:

Woke is broadly refers to a group that is different than how it was originally used by black activists.

In general, it refers to the belief that our identity and membership of different marginalized groups (or oppressor groups) is more important than who people are as individuals.  This is combines with the belief equity in outcomes is more important than equality of opportunity and that present day discrimination in favour of those historically marginalized groups is the best (or only) way to make up for historical oppression to achieve equity in outcomes.

This is what happens when you don’t actually listen to the words conservatives are using and try to give them charitable cover disconnected from what they are saying

also the implicit idea that we even have equality of opportunity is just L O L

• True 1

1 hour ago, ort said:

They can easily define exactly what it means to them, they just don't want to because they know how bad it sounds when you actually say it out loud.

Yeah that is true a lot of them could define it in the way of what it means to them but will never do so unless behind closed doors. 

Im sure this person had things they wanted to say, but couldn’t because they know it’s not a kind thing they are promoting. That they aren’t for children, they are against most children and want to deprive the children they aren’t against of being able to be who they want to be.

She gets into insulting stuff even trying her hardest not to and simply can’t define it without being evil sounding. Because it’s evil.

• Halal 2

I think the "safe" conservative definition of woke is... "Giving performative and disingenuous special treatment for certain groups over other groups, when everyone should be considered equal and be given equal treatment. Blaming innocent people for wrongs that either do not exist or existed in the past or are greatly being exaggerated to cause division and hate."

I personally think this is complete horseshit, but there is your definition.

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’d always assumed the use of “woke” was having one’s eyes opened to the injustices, lack of equality and equity. 

weirdly enough I think meatball Ron DeSantis has one of the better definitions of woke. “the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.” 

which is quite telling that he’s against it. 

I mean, this is the actual meaning of it. Keith Knight had a show on Hulu about his experience as a black comic artist and getting racially profiled by the cops.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Still the best monitors and TVs though

Also, I understand why they don't want it in schools, but pragmatically speaking they are much more stable than a flat screen when rolling around on a cart from classroom to classroom, and most schools don't have the budget to put a nice TV in every room.

23 minutes ago, TheShader said:

Also, I understand why they don't want it in schools, but pragmatically speaking they are much more stable than a flat screen when rolling around on a cart from classroom to classroom, and most schools don't have the budget to put a nice TV in every room.

GOP is against CRTs in schools because of the amazing blacks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sicko 1