The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Next-Gen Update (PC/PS5/Xbox Series), update: "Patch 4.01: one step forward, one step back" (Digital Foundry)

Keyser_Soze

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

Awesome! With that said, does it work the other way? PS5 to pc?

Logo_witcher3_en.jpg
WWW.IGN.COM

This page details how to use cross-platform saves in The Witcher 3. Cross-progression was implemented for Witcher 3 saves on PC when it launched on Nintendo

It's unclear exactly how cross-save will work in The Witcher 3's PS5/Xbox Series X versions. If it does operate similarly to Cyberpunk, here's how you can transfer your saves.

• Console save files can be transferred to PC.
  • PC save files can be transferred between PCs.
  • Console save files can be transferred between Consoles.
  • PC save files cannot be transferred to consoles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Logo_witcher3_en.jpg
    WWW.IGN.COM

This page details how to use cross-platform saves in The Witcher 3. Cross-progression was implemented for Witcher 3 saves on PC when it launched on Nintendo

oh :( I hope that isn’t how this is, my whole plan was to play on xbox, desktop, steam deck depending on where I felt like playing 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

ps players will have to wait until midnight their local time

That's garbage. I refuse to play any multiplatform games on the XSX. Every game looks washed out and not as vibrant or as colorful as PS5 games do. Also, the sound is much better on PS5, too. I noticed all of this the moment I booted up my PS5 for the first time. 

Playing Elden Ring has really proven this to me. I'm really disappointed with the XSX and the PS5 is the superior console. The controller is better too.

Yea, XSX had gamepass but I rarely ever use it. Starfield is the only reason I care about my XSX honestly. 

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's garbage. I refuse to play any multiplatform games on the XSX. Every game looks washed out and not as vibrant or as colorful as PS5 games do. Also, the sound is much better on PS5, too. I noticed all of this the moment I booted up my PS5 for the first time. 

Playing Elden Ring has really proven this to me. I'm really disappointed with the XSX and the PS5 is the superior console. The controller is better too.

Yea, XSX had gamepass but I rarely ever use it. Starfield is the only reason I care about my XSX honestly. 

There is no technical limitation of XSX that should cause there to be a difference in color vibrancy. Definitely something wrong with the settings on the XSX - my guess is it’s some hdr thing with the format it’s using or limited vs full color and perhaps try turning off 120hz - or try the hdr calibration tool if you haven’t.  I’d tinker with the settings and try to fix it because XSX has more horsepower and technically should be best for third party a lot of the time.

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

There is no technical limitation of XSX that should cause there to be a difference in color vibrancy. Definitely something wrong with the settings on the XSX - my guess is it’s some hdr thing with the format it’s using or limited vs full color and perhaps try turning off 120hz - or try the hdr calibration tool if you haven’t.  I’d tinker with the settings and try to fix it because XSX has more horsepower and technically should be best for third party a lot of the time.

Interesting. I wish I knew exactly what to do. I mean it's a big difference in quality when I compare it to PS5. Even looking at  the "dashboards" the PS5 fuckin pops on my TV. XSX is not nearly as vibrant and I never noticed that until I got my PS5.

What hell should I do lol?

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Interesting. I wish I knew exactly what to do. I mean it's a big difference in quality when I compare it to PS5. Even looking at  the "dashboards" the PS5 fuckin pops on my TV. XSX is not nearly as vibrant and I never noticed that until I got my PS5.

Don't know but I have my PS5 and XSX both hooked up to the same TV and don't notice what you're talking about either in sound or picture. The XSX is the "technically" more powerful system so I don't know why you're having this huge disparity between the images of your games. Might have something to do with your output settings. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Don't know but I have my PS5 and XSX both hooked up to the same TV and don't notice what you're talking about either in sound or picture. The XSX is the "technically" more powerful system so I don't know why you're having this huge disparity between the images of your games. Might have something to do with your output settings. 

Damn it. Do you own an LG OLED 65 inch like I do?

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

On my TV, each HDMI input has its own set of settings. If I were to take my XSX off of HDMI3 and pop it into hdmi2 it might look like garbage because I haven't calibrated that input.

Just as your XSX might be getting gimped by settings, your PS5 might have the saturation and contrast jacked thru the roof.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Screw steam! Fix my Xbox!!! :lol:

It’s one of those things I could probably figure out easily if I was there but without being able to check everything myself is hard to troubleshoot!

First thing I would do is go to tv & display options in settings and do the “calibrate hdr for games” then go to video mode and make sure hdr10 is checked - enable dolby vision for gaming or disable it, whichever it currently is set at do the opposite and see if that does it. If that doesn’t work then go to video fidelity and try changing color space and color depth.

Also check what mode your tv is in when playing on ps5, and make sure when you play Xbox it’s going to the same mode. Maybe check this first.

• Thanks 1
      • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Did steam just push out the update to all Witcher 3 owners and destroy their servers?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

yeppppppppppp it killed Steam lol 

sux, I headed home a little early to get it started

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

yuuuup!:lol:

Steam typically has a short server maintenance period on Tuesday nights.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

After doing a little research, it seems I'm not the only one with this issue with the LG Oled. I'm awful at fixing this type of stuff. It definitely is a setting issue.

:(

Did a quick search and maybe you did the same one, under general settings for the TV & Display options, is the video fidelity set to standard in the color space option?

There's other options around here you could maybe turn on and off as well, check it out.

Also Evil Ash's suggestion of other inputs having separate settings is also a thing my TV does, so I have to calibrate for every input.

You could do a quick troubleshoot in this regard if you plug your Xbox into the HDMI input your PS5 is on.

• Thanks 1

So RT is freaking tough on this one. I’m surprised it seems to demand more juice than Cyberpunk. Luckily for me it still runs nice maxed out but that’s only happening because this supports dlss3. You’ll have to skip RT or find some heavy compromises to run this without a 4000 series gpu. Its super demanding on the gpu but as we’ve been seeing recently, even more so on the cpu. Especially when I rode to Novigrad to check it out.

This seems to be using my cpu more than some of the others like Batman and Callisto but it still performs just about the same in cities, it’s just this happens to have dlss3 to save it and keep it in the 70-90s. Hopefully there are some optimizations left to do. Outside of cities runs pretty well and can be gpu bound even so I switched to dlss balanced to maximize performance on those locations. 

It looks fucking incredible that’s for sure, I don’t know how I’m going to get through this without stopping every five seconds staring at the scenery.

I also played it on deck on the default settings it set it at, a mix of low and some settings turned up, and it looks so good and runs great actually. I had to use proton experimental to get it to launch. If you want to see a big generation leap then look at the switch version of W3 and now this, what a nice upgrade with the hardware for handhelds on current gen.

I also played some of it on Xbox SX. Ray tracing mode is a miss there and not worth it. Not the full set anyway and it honestly just looks bad. It’s too blurry - I think they might be using fsr in performance mode or something, it doesn’t look good. It also either has bad frame pacing or isn’t actually holding 30fps. Assuming it’s using dynamic res, maybe it’s something to check out on console when the pro consoles hit.

The good news is the 60fps performance mode looks really nice and more improved than I expected even without RT. That and of course this will be 60fps for the first time for console players, I think this is a nice upgrade still. 

The further good news is it seems fully cross save as opposed to what was outlined with how CP works. I was seamlessly switching between pc, xbox, deck back and forth all directions just fine. That is one thing I’d love to see so much more of, love it.

Edit: I like the new camera mode too but my goodness I need to see if there is a mod for the normal jog animation that is compatible. It looks so janky. Walking or sprinting don’t even look that bad, the jog just looks so strange and stiff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

So RT is freaking tough on this one. I’m surprised it seems to demand more juice than Cyberpunk. Luckily for me it still runs nice maxed out but that’s only happening because this supports dlss3. You’ll have to skip RT or find some heavy compromises to run this without a 4000 series gpu. Its super demanding on the gpu but as we’ve been seeing recently, even more so on the cpu. Especially when I rode to Novigrad to check it out.

I’ve noticed that when RT gets shoehorned into an older engine, it tends to run like ass. There’s a reason Metro EE runs so well even though every light source, shadow and reflection is ray traced: it was made around RT.

Well, I played for 20 minutes this morning and it looks good but...

* There is definitely hitching occurring at max settings

* While doing the combat tutorial with Vesemir my buttons only worked at certain points. Once I reached the part of the training where you need to parry and riposte, neither my light or heavy attack would respond so I ultimately had to quit. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well, I played for 20 minutes this morning and it looks good but...

* There is definitely hitching occurring at max settings

* While doing the combat tutorial with Vesemir my buttons only worked at certain points. Once I reached the part of the training where you need to parry and riposte, neither my light or heavy attack would respond so I ultimately had to quit. 

If you are experiencing more than loading stutters (noticed this on console, deck, and pc) I would make sure you have frame gen on, vsync turned on in control panel (if you just installed the new driver you need it may have reverted) and that you have xbox game bar set to off. I already had mine that way and it seemed fine running around Novigrad (first time here, holy shit it’s HUGE) for quite a bit but that’s what I saw other 4090 peeps say fixed it for them. 

idk what’s up with the other thing tho lol

• Halal 1

Honestly though I think this would have been a better release for them if they just released it with the performance mode only on console and had it be a more no frills kinda definitive edition. It’s a really nice free upgrade in that mode but the RT mode is so compromised it sours it if someone was looking forward to that.

And then in pc this seems like they should have really promoted RT here as a mode aimed at the 4000 series taking advantage of dlss3 like Portal RTX to set expectations there.

Basically they went all out and it looks amazing with RT but very few people can use it right now and they should have made that more clear leading up to launch.

• True 1

Played a couple hours last night on XSX. It definitely has an extra crispness and pop to it and while running smoothly in 60fps mode. Whether or not it's worth an extra 100 hours of your life, if you haven't played in awhile and wouldn't mind another playthrough there has never been a better time. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Basically they went all out and it looks amazing with RT but very few people can use it right now and they should have made that more clear leading up to launch.

I dunno, if the past few years have shown. RT looks amazing but few people can take advantage of it. I don't think they need to say it. :p

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno, if the past few years have shown. RT looks amazing but few people can take advantage of it. I don't think they need to say it. :p

It’s a little different now though because it’s cpu bound and not gpu bound. Before you could just lower the resolution or change the dlss mode, or turn down other graphic features or whatever to get by on other cards. Now there isn’t anything you can really do, there isn’t a cpu you can even upgrade to that will remove your cpu bottleneck, you need a 4000 series for dlss3. And there isn’t even a 4070 or any card under 1k that can run it well. When Cyberpunk came out there were $400 - $500 cards that could run it 60fps with all the ray tracing features.

It does make me wonder exactly what part of these ray tracing implementations especially recently is hitting the cpu so hard. And why developers are struggling to optimize towards spreading it across more threads.

Whatever calculations it has tacked on, why do those have to run on the same threads as like everything else? I get you can’t split certain tasks but it seems like they are dumping everything into two cores almost more so with some recent releases rather than pushing RT compute to its own core or whatever.

This one has the saving grace of dlss3 brute forcing past it, that tech is the only reason RT Ultra works here at 60+ on any modern machine. And while I can give nvidia some credit for apparently catching on early enough that the cpu was about to be overpowered by the RT implementations developers want to do, I wonder how sustainable relying on dlss3 and eventually amd’s fg tech to save the day is.

What I mean is, and this is why I’d like to understand what exactly the hiccup is, if things keep going this way with RT being equally tasking to cpu, if it keeps wanting more cpu power, cpus haven’t scaled up like gpus do for a long long time. I don’t think there will be a cpu in two years that is 50%
      more powerful than the 13900k like there will likely be a gpu at least 50% more powerful than the 4090.

So while dlss3 is a good band aid, it can double the cpu performance, but that is already basically just enough to make it work. If games start demanding more from the cpu, we already are counting on that 2x dlss3 boost; where will the extra power come from?

I imagine since at the same time cpus are hardly being utilized in these instances, the answer has to be optimization around modern cpus and ray tracing operations, I hope that isn’t overly difficult to figure out!

edit: @Keyser_Soze I wrote everything besides the first paragraph before your post but added them together to not have so many subsequent posts here, you don’t have to read all that :p